Sign in to follow this  
Cutielb99

Jennifer Hudson

ROLL WITH IT

The high life suits Dreamgirls star – and Golden Globe favorite! – Jennifer Hudson, who poses next to a customized Rolls-Royce Phantom at a private Beverly Hills bash on Thursday.

Posted Image

"Who cares what Simon Cowell has to say?"

– Former American Idol contestant Jennifer Hudson, as she accepted the New York Critics Circle Award for best supporting actress in Dreamgirls

now i have no plans to see this movie.. it just does not interest me, but i have heard there is oscar Buzz for Jennifer.. now.. is it becasue she can ACT or is she just a REALLY GREAT singer, becasue there really is a difference..

now i have no plans to see this movie.. it just does not interest me, but i have heard there is oscar Buzz for Jennifer.. now.. is it becasue she can ACT or is she just a REALLY GREAT singer, becasue there really is a difference..

I won't see the movie either, but I think the oscar buzz is derived from her ability to sing..

This girl CAN sing!

I've seen it and the girl can act too!

cuz if she wins an oscar for the singing... does that mean we can expect Mariah to win one some time soon.. cuz she can sing too ( when she tries)

I hope no one thinks i am knocking Jennifer. I think respect is due for someone with Talent, and yes she is talented, but i hate that OSCAR BUZZ starts before a movie is released, and it is not based on the correct criteria..

Though i do wish Jennifer a great career.. and i hope she doesn't turn into a tooth pick.!

cuz if she wins an oscar for the singing... does that mean we can expect Mariah to win one some time soon.. cuz she can sing too ( when she tries)

I hope no one thinks i am knocking Jennifer. I think respect is due for someone with Talent, and yes she is talented, but i hate that OSCAR BUZZ starts before a movie is released, and it is not based on the correct criteria..

Though i do wish Jennifer a great career.. and i hope she doesn't turn into a tooth pick.!

When did someone when the Oscar Award for just singing? Even though I'd like to believe that people win the award based on talent...I think politics are involved so that kind of spoils it for me. Example Julia Roberts(Ellen Brockowitz) over Ellen Burstyn(Requiem For A Dream)...Denzel(Training Day) over Russell Crowe(A Beautiful Mind) we all know Denzel was robbed for Hurricane....so they robbed Russell because he was an arse and roughed up a producer.

I saw the movie and she did a fantastic job singing and acting. She blew Beyonce out of the water, although in all fairness, she did better than I expected.

Definitely one of my fav movies this year.

Are Oscar odds stacked against ‘Dreamgirls’?

Film with predominately African American cast has never taken the prize

COMMENTARY

By Miki Turner

MSNBC contributor

“Dreamgirls” was inarguably one of the most anticipated feature films of 2006. It had big names — Beyoncé Knowles, Eddie Murphy and Oscar winner James Foxx. It had the kind of musical score that kept you humming long after leaving the local multiplex. And, most of all, it had hype.

Based on the 1981 Broadway musical that won five Tony Awards, “Dreamgirls” purportedly chronicled the events that broke up The Supremes, one of the most successful girl groups in history. Was this the way it went down? Did Diana Ross become the Supreme diva? Was Florence Ballard forced out because Ross was seemingly more appealing to crossover audiences?

Probably. Maybe. Most definitely.

Also, could the new Dreamgirls — Knowles, Anika Noni Rose and Jennifer Hudson — top the original trio of Sheryl Lee Ralph, Loretta Devine and Jennifer Holliday? Would Deena Jones (the Ross character) be that breakthrough role for Knowles? And most importantly, would “Dreamgirls” get any love during awards season.

Nope (I can say that because I saw the original play). Not so much. And, so far, so good.

The film has received multiple nominations from all the major awards shows — the Golden Globes, the Screen Actors Guild and the NAACP Image Awards. Hudson, who has generated the most buzz for her portrayal of Effie White (purportedly based on Ballard) has already been honored by the New York, Phoenix, Washington D.C. and Southeastern film critics as well as the National Board of Review. Hudson is favored to win this year’s best supporting actress prize at the Academy Awards next month.

Additionally, Murphy might get a supporting nod at the Oscars for his performance as the talented, but tormented R&B singer James “Thunder” Early. It’s highly unlikely, however, that Knowles, who is up for best actress at the Globes and SAGs will hear her name called on Jan. 23, when the Academy nominations are announced. Hers is not an Oscar-worthy performance.

Is the film worthy?

But what about the film? Could “Dreamgirls” be the first musical to win an Academy Award for best picture since “Chicago” in 2003? Despite the fact both films were scripted by Bill Condon (who also directs “Dreamgirls”), Academy voters might be swayed by what the film ultimately does at the box office. When it opened on Christmas Day “Dreamgirls,” which cost an estimated $70 million earned an impressive $8.7 million in limited release (less than 900 screens). But it earned just over $18 million during its opening weekend and $8.8 million last weekend. And, it has yet to claim the No. 1 spot.

In a town that values quantity over quality, these things matter.

This weekend, however, “Dreamgirls” will borrow a page from the “Chicago” playbook and expand to 1,900 theaters. This move will hopefully not only improve its take, but also convince those Academy voters straddling the line that “Dreamgirls” is a legitimate contender for best picture. The trickle factor obviously worked for “Chicago,” another film that started small, but finished big. “Chicago,” however, was a critically acclaimed film with a predominantly white cast.

You either loved it or you hated it.

“Dreamgirls” is a film with a predominantly African American cast. But it’s the gray areas — particularly when it comes to the performances — that may affect his chances of winning.

Hudson is superb, but if she weren’t covering Holliday’s signature show-stopping tune — “And I Am Telling You I’m Not Going” — she might be struggling to emerge from the shadows like Rose, a Tony Award-winning actress who is underused. Murphy is good, but not great. Knowles is almost forgettable — save for her solo number — and Oscar winner Jamie Foxx was way too subdued to make any kind of memorable impact on audiences.

But then there’s the music. The title tune, the Hudson number and Knowles’ “Listen,” will most definitely encourage viewers to plop down $18 for the soundtrack and may even impress all of those jaded voters who feel that musicals belong on the stage and not the screen.

In this case they might be right. “Dreamgirls” was a phenomenal play. As a film, it’s entertaining but uneven. Sure, it will probably win the Golden Globe — particularly since the Hollywood Foreign Press honors films in two categories — musical/comedy and drama. But, it will have a hard time overcoming its likely competitors — sure shots such as “The Departed” and “The Queen” at the Oscars.

Battling history

Plus it has history going against it. No film with a predominantly African American cast has ever won best picture.

Is it time that one did? For sure. But Dreamgirls with all its star power and glam probably won’t do in 2007 what “The Color Purple” and “Malcolm X” (which wasn’t nominated) should have done in 1986 and 1993 respectively — and that is win. And while “Ray,” which was nominated in 2005, was both a critical and financial success, it was no “Million Dollar Baby.”

The critics who have praised “Dreamgirls” will likely claim that an Academy that recently honored Halle Berry, Denzel Washington and Jamie Foxx with golden boys for best actress/actor, is not ready to embrace a film detailing the struggles African Americans face when they fail to assimilate to the dominant culture. That would be like admitting that “Crash,” last year’s best-picture winner, was truly an accurate portrayal of life in America.

We can’t have art imitating real life and winning awards for it!

The collective victories of Berry, Washington, Foxx and others have opened the door a little wider for African Americans in the film industry, but it still remains only ajar. It’s often said by black and white actors alike that the only color studio heads ever see is green. Well, American currency is green and white.

The critics who have panned “Dreamgirls” will probably say that it was a flawed film and it doesn’t even deserve to be nominated. Musicals tend to bore “serious” critics who would much rather debate the camera angles Martin Scorsese used in “Gangs of New York” as opposed to the ones he used in “The Departed.” And, if by chance “Dreamgirls” does win, they’ll say that it slipped through because the vote was spilt.

Regardless “Dreamgirls” will probably receive more nominations than some of the more favored films because it is a musical. That usually means nods for costumes, sound, mixing, cinematography and music — original songs and score. It most certainly deserves the most of these.

And who knows maybe the moon will be in the seventh house and Jupiter will be aligned with Mars on Oscar night so that “Dreamgirls” can make history. Dreams come true every day in Hollywood — especially with a good marketing campaign.

© 2007 MSNBC Interactive

Diana Seethes

DIANA Ross is behaving true to her diva form when it comes to "Dreamgirls" - which is based on the Supremes and shows how Motown founder Berry Gordy favored looks over voice in promoting her (Beyoncé plays a Ross-like character in the movie). At the Golden Globes, another original Supreme, Mary Wilson, told Page Six: "I loved 'Dreamgirls,' but I'm not sure how Diana Ross feels about it. The movie was about the group and not her, so . . . probably she didn't like it." How clairvoyant! Yesterday, Ross, appearing on "Good Morning America," was asked by Diane Sawyer about the film. "I haven't seen it yet," she said. "I hear they use my image and likeness. Maybe I should go see it with my lawyer."

Diana Seethes

DIANA Ross is behaving true to her diva form when it comes to "Dreamgirls" - which is based on the Supremes and shows how Motown founder Berry Gordy favored looks over voice in promoting her (Beyoncé plays a Ross-like character in the movie). At the Golden Globes, another original Supreme, Mary Wilson, told Page Six: "I loved 'Dreamgirls,' but I'm not sure how Diana Ross feels about it. The movie was about the group and not her, so . . . probably she didn't like it." How clairvoyant! Yesterday, Ross, appearing on "Good Morning America," was asked by Diane Sawyer about the film. "I haven't seen it yet," she said. "I hear they use my image and likeness. Maybe I should go see it with my lawyer."

That drunk _____ _____ ____ woman. She's on the X list, right?

Paramount To Expand 'Dreamgirls' This Weekend

Parmount, which initiated a so-called platform release of the Paramount/DreamWorks musical Dreamgirls last month, plans to increase the number of theaters showing it to more than 2000 next weekend, it said Tuesday. The move follows the film's selection as the best comedy/musical movie of 2006 at the Golden Globes awards Monday night. "With the Globes, you do get a lot of publicity -- especially when you win," Jim Tharp, Paramount's head of distribution, told today's (Wednesday) Los Angeles Daily News.The film also won in the supporting actress/actor categories for Jennifer Hudson and Eddie Murphy. Paul Dergarabedian, president of box office trackers Media By Numbers, told the newspaper, "I think Dreamgirls is going to bask in the afterglow of those Golden Globe wins." Meanwhile, Babel, which won the Golden Globe for best drama, is expected to expand from 173 theaters to at least 800, the Daily News said.

I have a heterosexual crush on Jennifer Hudson. I'd hit that...hard.

What in the hell did I just type? :huh:

I have a heterosexual crush on Jennifer Hudson. I'd hit that...hard.

What in the hell did I just type? :huh:

Ha ha ha! Thanks Babloo...I just had a death in the family and I need a good laugh....that's one of the funniest things I've read in a while!

SHE'S CHANGING

Dressed in a full-length metallic stunner, Jennifer Hudson works the red carpet like a seasoned pro at the Parisian premiere of Dreamgirls on Thursday.

Posted Image

Golden Globes Awards Fug: Dreamgirls

Posted Image

EDDIE: Just look suave, Eddie, just look suave. If you act cool enough they won't even remember you have another one of those fat-suit movies coming out in a few weeks.

JENNIFER: Wow, my hair really DOES look good this way. And I'm so glad I chose this navy dress -- I have to say, I feel pretty hot right now.

BEYONCE: Yeah, fine, smile it up, TV bitch - let's just all remember who only held back on her singing voice because they MADE her, because she was TOO FIERCE for her role. Was it you? NO. Was it the From Justin To Kelly chick? NO. Was it that other bitch? NO. CHECK IT, hos, it was ME.

JAMIE: Man, Hudson looks fine. Almost as fine as I do, although nobody could outfox the Foxx. Miss B over there must be pissed-- she looks so Las Vegas that her dress even has its own coin slot up there. HAHAHAHAHA, oh, Foxxy, you've still got the funny, baby!

JENNIFER: I hope Beyonce isn't mad at me.

BEYONCE: No, I'm serious, hos, are you checking it? You'd BEST. Because I can't believe I am playing second fiddle to some bitch Paula Abdul dug up out of obscurity. Seriously. The claws are coming OUT. And so is her HAIR.

JENNIFER: I also hope Beyonce doesn't try and pull out my hair. She keeps accidentally touching it and she looks kind of like she's plotting something. I can't help it that I have a great stylist and she just has her mother. I didn't do that to her.

BEYONCE: It is ALL HER FAULT that I didn't win. Lady, I could sing circles around your ass, and Simon Cowell would CRY and Randy Jackson would be all, "You're doing your thing, dog, and that thing is KICKING SERIOUS ASS," and Paula would go, "If I ordered a pizza right now they'd deliver it to Montana because that was so good you almost made me want to eat some mascara and there are rainbows here and where am I? Are you my mother?" ...

EDDIE: I wonder if they'll burn the print of my next movie if I pay them enough money.

BEYONCE: ...and then Simon would be all, "What Paula is trying to say is that you are perfection, and you're the best there has ever been and I don't need to see any more," and then they'd CANCEL THE SHOW because there was no way they could do better and THAT is how I would WIN American Idol, you sad little runner-up, you.

EDDIE: No, really. I don't want to be all Queen Latifah here, winning a major award and then having a craptravaganza like Taxi coming out right afterward. But at least I look smooth. What the hell was Beyonce thinking? If we hang her from the ballroom ceiling they can turn off all the other lights and have a real cheap electric bill.

JENNIFER: Oh, well, I'll just try not to think about Beyonce. After all, I've never felt this good about myself in my life. Seriously, I think I deserve to be very proud of myself.

BEYONCE: Ohh, yes, just get ready, you humble little trophy hound, you. It's COMING.

JAMIE: DANG, bitches, I'm glad I took my shades off -- I'll get a better view of the catfight this way. Come on, let's see some clawing and spanking. Y'all can mess up my tux if it means I see some girl-on-girl without having to go back to my hotel room first. Let's get it ON.

JENNIFER: Although... I really should remember to get that restraining order ready.

Go Fug Yourself

A 'DREAM' TEAM

It's the Dreamgirls in action: Anika Noni-Rose, Beyoncé and first-time Oscar nominee Jennifer Hudson are a glam trio at their film's London premiere on Sunday.

Posted Image

13th annual Screen Actors Guild Awards® Recipients

Female Actor in a Supporting Role

Jennifer Hudson / DREAMGIRLS – Effie White - Paramount Pictures

Jennifer Hudson Disses 'Idol'

In a rambling interview with Essence magazine, Dreamgirls co-star Jennifer Hudson has assailed the producers of American Idol, the show that brought her to prominence. She said, "On American Idol, you go through this mental thing; you've got to get yourself back together. You've been abused, misled and brainwashed to believe whatever they want you to think. You become a character -- I became the girl in the turkey wrapping. I just knew I had to sing my way out of it. I don't believe in looking back, and I didn't look back." The "turkey wrapping" remark was an apparent reference to a costume she was made to wear on one episode of the show. Although many writers had predicted that Hudson would win the competition, she was beaten by Fantasia Barrino.

panachereport.com

Oscar-nominated "Dreamgirls," star Jennifer Hudson is getting so many floral tributes from her famous fans she's thinking of how to preserve the pretty gifts. Halle Berry, Alicia Keys and Whitney Houston have been among the big names offering the singer their support as she gets ready to battle for a Best Support Actress Oscar later this month. Hudson says, "It's all so overwhelming. I'd like to find a way of keeping this special time special." And she's hoping the messages and gifts from Houston will lead to a chance to duet with the diva. She adds, "I would love to do a duet with Whitney Houston. That would be a dream for me." And that dream just could come true-Hudson starts work on her first album next month with music mogul Clive Davis, Houston's longtime mentor.

panachereport.com

Oscar nominee Jennifer Hudson has paid tribute to her longtime boyfriend in print and now she hopes to make him feel extra special if she wins gold at the Academy Awards. The “Dreamgirls,” star has dated sweetheart James since 1999 and she wants him to play a major part in her Oscar night success - if she's picked as Best Supporting Actress.

She tells "Giant," magazine, "He's seen it all and been through it all with me. I'm the dreamer, and he supports my dreams - always has. "He's happy to be my rock and let me fly and I couldn't ask for anything more than that. "I think it makes more sense for me to date somebody outside of show biz.

They are stationary, stable, and home based... I have a patient, understanding man who's there for me when I get home. He's home to me."

NYDN

And I'm telling you she's not going

Did Beyoncé snub Jennifer Hudson after the Grammys?

A source tells us Beyoncé's handlers did not want Hudson's name on the guest list for a party she threw with People magazine at Eleven in West Hollywood.

"At a lot of events recently, it's been all about Jennifer Hudson," sniffs an insider. "Beyoncé is successful because she's continually been out there. She doesn't want to look like she's slipping."

^I guess she wasn't Irreplaceable. You best move "ta da leff, ta da leff", J-Hud.

I cannot wait for her album - her voice really is once in a generation.

The latest copy of Star Magazine (Feb. 19) has stories accusing Jennifer Hudson of being a diva. Let the backlash begin! It's too long to type out the whole article (which also accuses Katharine McPhee of being a diva), but here is the juiciest part of the Jennifer piece (not much evidence of diva-dom in my opinion, but I'm sure we'll be hearing more). It starts off by regurgitating her recent critique of American Idol, and then goes into the following:

In addition to her Oscar nomination as Best Supporting Actress, she has landed a Golden Globe and a SAG award-- and according to sources, what looks like a major case of diva-itis! For instance, at the Jan. 7 General Motors auto show in Detroit (where Beyonce Knowles' boyfriend Jay-Z unveiled a new blue SUV concept car he helped design), an eyewitness says, "She seemed to have a major case of entitlement, a conceited vibe, if you will." And at the SAG awards on Jan. 28, another source tells Star, "She wouldn't talk to the press much. She acted like she was already an Oscar-winner. Of course, she deserves the awards, but come on! Just one year ago, she was a nobody!"

Edited by plick

From imdb.com today...

Hudson Makes History with Vogue Cover

Jennifer Hudson will make history when she becomes the first African-American singer to appear on the cover of US fashion magazine Vogue. The Dreamgirls star will appear on the cover of the magazine's annual Power Issue next month. She follows in the footsteps of Oprah Winfrey and Halle Berry as only the third African-American celebrity to grace the cover of the fashion bible. Hudson was shot for the publication by famed photographer Annie Leibovitz at Harlem's Apollo Theater in New York. The issue is one of the biggest and most anticipated of the year thanks to its spring fashion preview.