Sign in to follow this  
Cutielb99

Jennifer Hudson

Oscar Winners Vie for NAACP Image Awards

Recent Oscar winners Jennifer Hudson and Forest Whitaker were looking to keep their streaks going at the 38th annual NAACP Image Awards.

Hudson, a former "American Idol" finalist, won a best supporting actress Oscar Sunday for her role in the musical "Dreamgirls," while Whitaker took best actor for "The Last King of Scotland."

The two were nominated in the same categories for Friday night's Image Awards honoring projects and individuals who promote diversity in the arts. The two-hour ceremony, hosted by rapper LL Cool J, was scheduled to air live on Fox starting at 8 p.m. EST.

Honorary recognition during the show was to include Bill Cosby's induction into the NAACP Image Awards Hall of Fame, the Chairman's Award to Bono and the President's Award to CNN's Soledad O'Brien.

"Dreamgirls" and the TV comedy "Everybody Hates Chris" were each up for a leading eight Image Awards. "Dreamgirls" star Beyonce Knowles led individual nominees with five nods.

"Dreamgirls" had nominations for best picture and soundtrack. Along with Hudson, five other members of its ensemble cast Jamie Foxx, Eddie Murphy, Danny Glover, Anika Noni Rose and Knowles were nominated for acting honors.

Other movies competing for best-picture were "Akeelah and the Bee," "Blood Diamond," "Catch a Fire" and "The Pursuit of Happyness."

The stars of "Akeelah and the Bee" Keke Palmer, Laurence Fishburne and Angela Bassett were competing for acting awards, as were Dijon Honsou of "Blood Diamond" and "Pursuit of Happyness" stars Thandie Newton, Will Smith and his son, Jaden Christopher Syre Smith.

Other big-screen acting nominees were Denzel Washington ("Inside Man"), Harry Belafonte ("Bobby") and Kerry Washington ("The Last King of Scotland").

Besides its best-comedy nomination, "Everybody Hates Chris" was up for two directing and five acting awards.

Other best-comedy nominees were "All of Us," "The Bernie Mac Show," "Girlfriends" and "Ugly Betty." Best-drama nods went to "24," "Grey's Anatomy," "Heroes," "The Unit" and "The Wire."

Best-album competitors included "B'Day" by Knowles, Corinne Bailey Rae's self-titled debut, John Legend's "Once Again," Mary J. Blige's "Reflections: A Retrospective" and the "Dreamgirls" soundtrack.

Knowles, Blige and Rae were also nominated for best female artist, as were Fantasia and India.Arie. Competing for best male artist were Legend, Chris Brown, Jay-Z, Lionel Richie and Prince.

Oscar Fug Carpet: Jennifer Hudson

Oh, what a journey it's been for Jennifer Hudson. I'm not talking about her journey from American Idol to the Oscars or whatever. I'm talking about the journey through fug that she took on the night of the Academy Awards.

See, according to Page Six, her stylist Jessica Paster "got her a beautiful gold Roberto Cavalli custom-made," but Vogue's Andre Leon Talley, who's been helping style her as well, allegedly had a fit when he heard about the Cavalli and made her wear his choice. This:

Posted Image

Because a girl totally wants to look like she's wearing something that might have been spotted in the background of the Thriller video on the biggest night of her life. She also totally wants to have the hem of her shorty bolero hit her at the widest spot of her chest, making her look way bigger than she actually is. Oh, also? If she could find a color that totally makes her look washed out and boring? That'd be great. What's up with ALT? Did Anna Wintour crack him over the head with a thigh-high boot during a confrontation at the office, thereby knocking the chic out of his head? Did spending a lot of time with Jennifer Hudson lead him to secretly, passionately hate her, thereby leading to this act of sabotage? Does he really just love lame?

But J Hud -- good for her -- managed to pull it together over the course of the evening, working it first in the red dress she performed in, and then changing into what I assume is the Cavalli for both the press room and the after-parties:

Posted Image

So much better, no? This is what she should have worn to walk the red carpet. She looks awesome in this. The brown number might have been more comfortable, sure, but you put on something LESS formal for the after-parties, right? Like, when I was in high school, we all put on flannel shirts over our prom dresses for the after-party so we could be comfortable while we talked about how totally rad Pearl Jam was. We didn't wear the flannel to the prom itself. Not to mention the fact that I think it's kind of insane to change for the party -- are people shimmying into and out of things in the limo? Because that seems like a lot of work for an evening where you should have started out the night looking your best, anyway. Not like an extra from a long-shuttered Star Wars musical. Not that I blame J Hud for that fiasco, entirely - when you're in Oscar de la Renta with Andre Leon Talley and they're telling you that the cropped shiny thing is the way to go, you probably figure they know what they're talking about. But let this be a lesson to us all. When your instincts tell you to reject a tin-foil cardigan, listen to them, or find yourself telling the limo driver to avert his eyes from your Spanx.

http://gofugyourself.typepad.com/go_fug_yo...g_carpe_12.html

panachereport.com

Jennifer Hudson reportedly turned down a $3 million dollar payday to appear in a film where nudity was required from a co-star.

In Related News: Forest Whitaker and Jennifer Hudson picked up acting prizes at the NAACP Image Awards on Friday, just six days after their Oscar wins. Whitaker was named Best Actor for his performance as Ugandan dictator Idi Amin in “The Last King Of Scotland,” while Hudson garnered Best Supporting Actress for her role as Effie White in “Dreamgirls,” at the star-studded ceremony at the Shrine Auditorium in Los Angeles. Accepting his award, Whitaker said, "Doing this role gave me so many blessings. One was being able to go back to Africa and touch my roots." Hudson gushed, "There is nothing like being recognized and honored by your own."

Jennifer Hudson reportedly turned down a $3 million dollar payday to appear in a film where nudity was required from a co-star.

I heard this on the radio.

She apparently refuses to do a film where nudity is required from anyone because she considers herself a role model for all aspiring young women actresses or something.

Power to her. I don't know how long she can survive with that kind of thinking - I mean, I love me some J-Hud and all, but shouldn't she protest violence over sexuality? Or is that just me?

I heard this on the radio.

She apparently refuses to do a film where nudity is required from anyone because she considers herself a role model for all aspiring young women actresses or something.

Power to her. I don't know how long she can survive with that kind of thinking - I mean, I love me some J-Hud and all, but shouldn't she protest violence over sexuality? Or is that just me?

I totally agree, Babloo. Priorities as regards censorship are a little weird here in the US.

I guess it depends on the specific role--maybe there was something in addition to the nudity she didn't like and this is just a good excuse. There are plenty of actresses who've never had to do nude, and plenty others who have and it hasn't meant anything...

I guess it depends on the specific role--maybe there was something in addition to the nudity she didn't like and this is just a good excuse. There are plenty of actresses who've never had to do nude, and plenty others who have and it hasn't meant anything...

Awww...geez. I totally agree... :wacko:

If you are an actor or actress then you can distinguish between unnecessary nudity(like a mindless horror flick) and necessary nudity(see Daniel Radcliffe in Equus). ;)

The big concern is who's offering her 3million to be nude? :blink:

Awww...geez. I totally agree... :wacko:

If you are an actor or actress then you can distinguish between unnecessary nudity(like a mindless horror flick) and necessary nudity(see Daniel Radcliffe in Equus). ;)

The big concern is who's offering her 3million to be nude? :blink:

They're offering her $3 million to be in the movie. Her co-star will be nude. :rolleyes:

Again, power to her - and there are ways to go about nudity in film, but sometimes, it makes the film that much more effective (at least to my horndog mind).

If it was the co-star that's supposed to be nude (I misread the original story) then, well, I think there's something else in the script or cast she doesn't want to be a part of!

I imagine that a lot of personal morality gets eroded over years of trying to get parts. I can't presume to guess why/how actors choose the roles they do (I don't know what options they're offered, so how do I know if the roles they choose are the "best") I can only vote on the outcome (nudity, violence, cheesy comedy movies) with my wallet, by what I'll spend my money to rent (I never go to theaters any more--haven't seen a movie in a theater in maybe 6-7 years??)

If it was the co-star that's supposed to be nude (I misread the original story) then, well, I think there's something else in the script or cast she doesn't want to be a part of!

I imagine that a lot of personal morality gets eroded over years of trying to get parts. I can't presume to guess why/how actors choose the roles they do (I don't know what options they're offered, so how do I know if the roles they choose are the "best") I can only vote on the outcome (nudity, violence, cheesy comedy movies) with my wallet, by what I'll spend my money to rent (I never go to theaters any more--haven't seen a movie in a theater in maybe 6-7 years??)

Yes, I guess I read it wrong as well. It's her freedom, I suppose..but I wonder what the whole movie is about? Otherwise, I don't understand what the hell J-Hud is doing. :huh:

I wouldn't go turning down too many roles, if I was her.

From imdb.com today...

Cowell Blasts Hudson for 'Stepping Stone' Comment

Simon Cowell has blasted Oscar winner Jennifer Hudson after she called American Idol "a stepping stone" - insisting she wouldn't have been cast in Dreamgirls without the talent show. Hudson was a contestant on Idol in 2004, but was voted off before the final. Over a year later, she auditioned for the role of Effie White in the big screen version of the musical Dreamgirls and was cast. When Hudson accepted her Best Supporting Actress Oscar for Dreamgirls last month, Cowell was disappointed she declined to mention the show. He says, "Jennifer Hudson said American Idol was a 'stepping stone' for her. Stepping stone? It was her big opportunity to become noticed and she got noticed and she got Dreamgirls. "Singers like her deliberately turn against the show that made them successful. The reason (people) come on the show is because all the doors had been slammed in their face."

From imdb.com today...

Cowell Blasts Hudson for 'Stepping Stone' Comment

Simon Cowell has blasted Oscar winner Jennifer Hudson after she called American Idol "a stepping stone" - insisting she wouldn't have been cast in Dreamgirls without the talent show. Hudson was a contestant on Idol in 2004, but was voted off before the final. Over a year later, she auditioned for the role of Effie White in the big screen version of the musical Dreamgirls and was cast. When Hudson accepted her Best Supporting Actress Oscar for Dreamgirls last month, Cowell was disappointed she declined to mention the show. He says, "Jennifer Hudson said American Idol was a 'stepping stone' for her. Stepping stone? It was her big opportunity to become noticed and she got noticed and she got Dreamgirls. "Singers like her deliberately turn against the show that made them successful. The reason (people) come on the show is because all the doors had been slammed in their face."

Oh F him!!! He was one of her biggest detractors on the show. Even when she blew people away he had negative stuff to say about her. Now he demands she recognize their importance?!?!?! Fuck him and the tranny <girlfriend> he rode in on.

Chicago Fetes Hometowner Jennifer Hudson

By ASHLEY M. HEHER

Associated Press Writer

CHICAGO (AP) -- Since being booted from "American Idol," Jennifer Hudson has won a Golden Globe, a Screen Actors Guild prize and an Academy Award for best supporting actress. On Tuesday, the 25-year-old star of the movie "Dreamgirls" added one more award to the collection - she got her own day in her hometown.

Mayor Richard Daley proclaimed Tuesday "Jennifer Hudson Day" to honor the budding star, whose Cinderella story took her from Chicago's South Side to the Hollywood A-list.

"She's an inspiration to everyone who has a dream," Daley told hundreds of screaming fans. "People told her `You can't.' And she said `I can.'"

Hudson, who appeared on stage in a black wool coat and Burberry scarf, hoisted her gold Oscar statuette in the air and thanked those who had gathered outside the Chicago Theatre for the ceremony.

"Not only can I do it, but you can do it, too," she said before singing a brief song from the hit movie.

Earlier Tuesday, Hudson was greeted by thunderous applause when she spoke to students at Dunbar Vocational Career Academy, her former high school.

In "Dreamgirls," Hudson portrays a vocalist cast out from a 1960s girl group. The role came barely two years after "American Idol" judge Simon Cowell told Hudson she was "out of her league" and she was voted off the TV show.

Her resiliency resonated with fans, who said they admired Hudson for never giving up her dream.

"Anything is possible if you believe," said 18-year-old Sharhonda Woodard, who braved bitter temperatures for a chance to see Hudson in person.

Kirpatrick Taylor, 37, said Hudson was an inspiration.

"She's a dream girl for real," he said.

© 2007 The Associated Press

Jennifer Hudson's new deal

Riding high off an Oscar win, Jennifer Hudson has joined forces with Avon. She will be the face for the company's Imari brand.

She will appear in print ads for and catalogues in the US, Canada, Puerto Rico and the Dominican Republic. She will be the spokeswoman for both Imari and Imari Seduction.

She told WWD, "This is an honor for me and very flattering.. And now to partner with Avon is really a dream come true for me."

In other Jennifer news, she will begin work on her debut album this month. Look for it in the fall.

Mar 7, 11:32 PM EST

Hudson Makes Appearance at U.N. Ceremony

UNITED NATIONS (AP) -- Oscar winner Jennifer Hudson made a guest appearance Wednesday at an awards ceremony promoting women's achievements and paid tribute to her own female inspirations.

The 25-year-old star of "Dreamgirls" spoke of the support of her mother and especially her grandmother before a large crowd at U.N. headquarters that included teenage girls trying to catch a glimpse of the former "American Idol" contestant.

"One reason my dreams have been able to come true is because of the people in my life," she said. "They've always believed in me, and had hope for me, and loved me."

Hudson also stressed the importance of empowering women and girls, the theme of the ceremony on the eve of International Women's Day. It was sponsored by the Virtue Foundation in partnership with Avon Products Inc., and co-sponsored by UNICEF and the U.N. Development Fund for Women.

The singer and actress announced the first prizewinner of Avon's new "Hello Tomorrow Fund," New Orleans teacher Darlene Morgan Brown, who set up an entrepreneurship program for female middle school students and their mothers.

© 2007 The Associated Press

PATTY JACKSON'S 4-1-1

The Jennifer Hudson Backlash has begun. Fame has two sides. One side loves you, and the other will burn you. The Oscar winner has made an enemy for life with Designer Andre Leon Talley. Talley took Hudson under his wing and gave her a new style.

He even got her on the cover of Vogue magazine. Then came The Academy Awards and the hideous dress he encouraged her to wear.

The next day, despite winning an Oscar, she was the butt of many jokes because of that outfit. Hudson revealed she didn’t want to wear it, but she caved into Talley’s pressure.

Talley was livid. For years, he has been a leading Fashionista, and now he’s being labeled as a novice who gives bad fashion advice.

Friends of Talley feel Hudson made a costly mistake by dissing Talley. Hudson is also feeling the heat from American Idol fans who want her to stop bashing the show and Judge Simon Cowell. Hudson lost the competition.

In one episode, after giving a poor performance, Cowell told Hudson she was out of her league. In subsequent shows, he praised her and her talents. Fans of the show feel she is being an ingrate by trashing Cowell all the time.

PATTY JACKSON'S 4-1-1

The Jennifer Hudson Backlash has begun. Fame has two sides. One side loves you, and the other will burn you. The Oscar winner has made an enemy for life with Designer Andre Leon Talley. Talley took Hudson under his wing and gave her a new style.

He even got her on the cover of Vogue magazine. Then came The Academy Awards and the hideous dress he encouraged her to wear.

The next day, despite winning an Oscar, she was the butt of many jokes because of that outfit. Hudson revealed she didn’t want to wear it, but she caved into Talley’s pressure.

Talley was livid. For years, he has been a leading Fashionista, and now he’s being labeled as a novice who gives bad fashion advice.

Friends of Talley feel Hudson made a costly mistake by dissing Talley. Hudson is also feeling the heat from American Idol fans who want her to stop bashing the show and Judge Simon Cowell. Hudson lost the competition.

In one episode, after giving a poor performance, Cowell told Hudson she was out of her league. In subsequent shows, he praised her and her talents. Fans of the show feel she is being an ingrate by trashing Cowell all the time.

But he did give bad advice didn't he?

The only people on the red carpet that should be daring - are 1) someone who has walking the red carpet a bazillion times or 2) someone who has no credentials at all and needs it to get in the rags (i.e. Bai Ling).

A young ingenue, up and coming, should play it safe. He made her look beautiful on Vogue and should have done the same for her at the Oscars.

I have no doubt, that he talked her into that dress, basically playing on the fact that he knew better than her.

panachereport.com

Jennifer Hudson has ordered a special display case so she can show off her Oscar in her new home. The proud “Dreamgirls,” star insists the statuette she won at the Academy Awards last month will have a special place of honor in her new condo in Chicago, Illinois.

She explains, "I want to put it in it's own case with theme music when you open it up." Hudson claims she might even give her new prize a bit of a makeover adding, "He needs some clothes, I want to give him an afro... Don't tell the Academy!" Hudson is still getting over the shock of winning and insists on taking her Oscar statue with her wherever she goes .

She explains, "When I got my Golden Globe (Award) I took it around with me for about two weeks before I would give it up so it could be engraved." She will also reluctantly have to give her Oscar up so it can be engraved adding, "I don't like that idea, but just to get my name on it, I will!"

Hudson Almost Derails 'soul'

March 13, 2007 -- JENNIFER Hudson might be letting her Oscar win for Best Supporting Actress in "Dreamgirls" go to her head.

Besides tangling last week with Simon Cowell of "American Idol," the show that gave the ungrateful diva her big break, the singer tried to back out of performing at Saturday's taping of the Soul Train Awards show in Los Angeles.

"Jennifer called Friday and said she couldn't make it," said our source.

"Soul Train" producer Don Cornelius immediately called Clive Davis, the legendary J Records mogul who created the careers of Whitney Houston, Alicia Keyes and dozens of other artists.

"Clive called Jennifer and read her the riot act. He said, 'Get you're ass out to L.A.' and then hung up on her."

The strong talk from her de facto boss evidently worked because "she showed up."

As viewers will see later this month, Hudson was presented the Sammy Davis Jr. Award for Entertainer of the Year, while Jamie Foxx and Mary J. Blige, John Legend, Gnarls Barkley, Beyoncé, Jay-Z and Babyface were also honored.

Hudson earned a different kind of honor yesterday - from Burger King. She got her first job, at age 16, at a Chicago franchise working with her sister, who claims they sang together while flipping burgers.

The chain awarded Hudson an all-you-can-eat pass for life, proclaiming, "Burger King Corp. is proud of Jennifer's success . . . Our loss is the entertainment industry's gain."

When asked last week why she didn't thank "American Idol" in her Oscar speech, Hudson snapped, "If I'd been any better at my job when I was at Burger King in my middle teens, I wouldn't be here, either, so maybe I should thank them, too."

"Extra" went through tapes of old shows and found three instances of Cowell's praising Hudson, proving that she was wrong when she claimed he was not supportive. Asked whether Hudson owed him an apology, Cowell said, "No . . . All I ever wanted to do on the show was be fair."

Reps for Hudson, Cornelius and Davis didn't return calls.

panachereport.com

Soul star John Legend has been hired to make “Dreamgirls” star Jennifer Hudson's chart dreams come true - by penning her first hits.

Legend confirms music mogul Clive Davis asked him to be a part of Oscar winner Hudson's studio sessions as she records her first album. And the R&B sensation reveals Hudson isn't the only big name he's working on.

He says, "I'll also be writing with Whitney Houston.” But he knows his efforts aren't sure-fire tracks the ladies will record, despite his musical pedigree.

He tells MTV News, "You never know with those things - you see what happens.

If it comes out hot, it will make the album. If not, then it will just be an experience."

A SOCIALITE'S LIFE

Jennifer Hudson Has It Her Way

Jennifer Hudson made a snarky comment about Burger King in relation to being criticized for not thanking American Idol in her Oscar acceptance speech.

Burger King has now awarded her free burgers for life . FOR LIFE. Does this mean she can walk into a Burger King in Xtul, Mexico, plop her Honorary Burger Queen card on the counter and start chowing? If Burger King didn't taste like you ate death a half-hour later, I might think this was a hot prize.

Hudson reacted to Simon Cowell's criticism of her for not thanking "American Idol" in her Oscar speech.

She reportedly snapped back, "If I'd been any better at my job when I was at Burger King in my middle teens, I wouldn't be here either, so should I thank them, too?" Hudson worked at the BK on East 87th and State Street in Chicago. Burger King was her first job at age 16, where she worked with her sister, who claims she sang while working the drive-thru and flipping burgers.

A SOCIALITE'S LIFE

Jennifer Hudson Better Board The Soul Train Or Else

Jennifer Hudson is all up on herself, and forgetting her roots, and every other complaint bitches have about people who make it big and are accused of forgetting where they come from. Apparently, she tried to dodge appearing at the Soul Train Awards (does anyone still watch that show?) and the powers that be (including her boss Clive Davis) weren't having it.

Besides tangling last week with Simon Cowell of "American Idol," the show that gave the ungrateful diva her big break, the singer tried to back out of performing at Saturday's taping of the Soul Train Awards show in Los Angeles.

"Jennifer called Friday and said she couldn't make it," said our source.

"Soul Train" producer Don Cornelius immediately called Clive Davis, the legendary J Records mogul who created the careers of Whitney Houston, Alicia Keyes and dozens of other artists.

"Clive called Jennifer and read her the riot act. He said, 'Get your ass out to L.A.' and then hung up on her."

The strong talk from her de facto boss evidently worked because "she showed up."

I can't exactly blame her. Is that show on anymore? What's the pull to appear? She can get more ink getting free Chicken Tenders and pissing Simon cowell off. I remember I'd catch Soul Train once in awhile on Saturday morning and feel envious.

I so wanted to go down the Soul Train line. But I felt excluded because I was young, and way too white, and gay, and well, 10.

Idol Night Out

THE diva herself celebrated "Jennifer Hudson Day" in Chicago last Thursday by getting tipsy and fending off guys. The Oscar winner went out with "American Idol" winner Fantasia Barrino to Windy City hot spot Boutique, and proceeded to order several bottles of V2 Vodka in the VIP section. Spies say the two danced to hip-hop until 2 a.m. and were hit on by the Chicago Bears' Tommie Harris. But Hudson, who has a boyfriend of eight years, wasn't interested - so Harris swapped phone numbers with Barrino at the end of the night.

Hudson To Play Franklin in Film Biopic?

Music legend Aretha Franklin wants Academy Award winner Jennifer Hudson to play her in an upcoming film based on her life. The Queen of Soul appeared backstage at the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame induction ceremony on Monday night, where she talked about Hudson being the ideal choice to portray her. A book on Franklin's life is scheduled to debut as a theatre production in the coming months, with talk of Hudson playing the soul legend in the film adaptation already in circulation. Hudson won a Best Supporting Actress Oscar last month for her role as Effie White in the movie musical Dreamgirls.