leaivory

Old Hollywood

Clint Eastwood has no regrets over James Bond snub

Clint Eastwood has no regrets about turning down the role of James Bond, because he was convinced 007 should be played by a British actor.

The California-born star was approached by Bond bosses to play the superspy when Sean Connery quit the franchise, but he turned the role down.

And Eastwood insists he made the right decision - because he didn't want to see the iconic character portrayed by an American.

He says, "I thought James Bond should be British. I am of British descent but by that same token, I thought that it should be more of the culture there and also, it was not my thing."

Bond has been played by British stars including Connery and Roger Moore, as well as Timothy Dalton and Daniel Craig - with the only exceptions being Australian George Lazenby and Irish actor Pierce Brosnan.

source: http://www.sfgate.com

Kirk Douglas stills holds grudge over lost role

Acting legend Kirk Douglas is still bitter about his son Michael's decision to cast Jack Nicholson as the lead in "One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest," because he was sure the "Wall Street" star would hand him the role.

Kirk owned the rights to the Ken Kesey classic and harbored plans to turn it into a movie.

He decided to give his son, who at the time was a struggling actor, the chance to make his mark in Hollywood as a producer and handed the book to his son to turn into reality.

It took several years for Douglas Jr. to raise enough funds to make the movie and he and his co-producer Saul Zaentz eventually chose Nicholson to play R.P. McMurphy, because he no longer wanted to live in his famous father's shadow.

The decision to cast the then 38-year-old Nicholson instead of 59-year-old Kirk left the veteran star annoyed - but Michael insists he has no regrets.

He tells Vanity Fair magazine, "My father has played up his disappointment with that pretty good. God bless him, he's 93. I finally said, 'Dad, I worked six years getting this together. . .'"

But Michael admits his father has been more than adequately compensated financially from the 1975 project.

He adds, "I have to remind him, I shared part of my producing back-end (credit) with him, so he ended up making more money off that movie than he had in any other picture."

source: http://www.sfgate.com

Welch: 'Modelling Agents Hated My Body'

Legendary beauty RAQUEL WELCH struggled to land jobs as a model when she first arrived in Hollywood - because agents "hated" her celebrated curves.

The 69-year-old first showed off her impressive body in One Million Years B.C. and soon became a pin-up for the 1960s.

But the sultry star admits industry bosses weren't immediately taken with her figure - and regularly turned her down for jobs.

Welch tells U.S. talk show host Oprah Winfrey, "When I tried to do some modelling after I first came to L.A. - just to get a job - they hated my body. Everything was wrong.

"I had no idea that was the path I was going to be going in when I started my career, because I wanted to be an actress."

And the star insists it takes hours of hard work to maintain her glamorous look: "I'll have my mornings when I really like myself, but 90 per cent of the time it's 'Oh my God'. One of the reasons I look so good is that it takes me about three hours to get ready."

Source contactmusic

She does look good, and I hear people say it takes hours to get ready, what the hell do they do?? I'm very low maintenance, I work out in the am at 5:30 most days and have 1/2 hour at home to shower, get dressed, get breakfast/lunch finished and in bags for myself and my daughter, get my young daughter up and dressed and out the door with breakfast in hand. If I have lots of time, I'll add five minutes to my shower and take time for a cup of tea. . . lol . . of course I don't spend much time on my hair (it's curly, I pretty much just let it dry and that's it) and wear very little makeup, I guess those two things can add a lot of time. .

Raquel Welch's dating woes

Legendary beauty Raquel Welch is struggling to find love in her senior years, because men her age would rather date much younger women.

The former Hollywood pin-up has been married four times and is currently separated from her fourth husband, Richard Palmer.

And finding a mature man has been a challenge for the star, who turns 70 in September.

She says, "The younger men are not all they're cracked up to be. I think it would be nice to be with somebody in their 60s but all the guys that age wants to be with somebody in their 30s.

"It doesn't matter who you are, it's hard to find the perfect person. It's hard when (husband) number four goes and you have to look at number five. ... And then you say what haven't I tried?"

source: http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/blogs/dailyd...8#ixzz0koWDoVeI

Posted Image

Leonard Nimoy Boldly Goes to the Retirement Home

Today 8:15 AM PDT by Gina Serpe

Eonline.com

Guess this means we can count at least one of the Spocks out of the Star Trek sequel.

Leonard Nimoy has announced plans to beam himself out of showbiz, saying he has not only given his last performance as Kirk's pointy-eared bestie, but has more than likely given his last performance period.

"I've been doing this professionally for 60 years," the 79-year-old told the Toronto Sun. "I love the idea of going out on a positive note. I've had a great, great time."

Capping off what he describes as his professional "victory lap," Nimoy recently finished shooting his final appearance on Fringe, and said that his presence at Calgary's Comic and Entertainment Expo this weekend may also be his last time at a convention.

"I want to get off the stage," he said. "Also, I don't think it would be fair to Zachary Quinto. "He's a terrific actor, he looks the part, and it's time to give him some space. And I'm very flattered the character will continue."

Rest assured, that's one character that will live long and prosper.

Vanity Fair has an article on 1950s use of LSD in Hollywood. This wasn't recreational, psychiatrists were studying it with patients in controlled settings. Cary Grant and Betsy Drake (his wife) tried it. Here's the article

Cary Grant and LSD

Posted Image

http://www.newyorksocialdiary.com/node/1906679

1) Oh my god, how handsome was Rock Hudson? I remember when I was little, my mom talking about having a crush on him when she was a girl, and I didn't see it. I see it now!!

2) Holy cow does Lorenzo Lamas look EXACTLY like his dad!

This is from a nice retrospective column on the Stork Club in NYC.

Ronald Reagan aged well - I think when he was in his 70s & 80s, he looked very similar:

Posted Image

Elizabeth Taylor - gorgeous teen, even with a bitch face in profile :4biggrin: Posted Image

Edited by Hoyaheel

Blog I just found (through Glamour magazine, of all places....) has a section on Classic Hollywood scandals. Nothing really new or scandalous but fun to read!

http://thehairpin.com/tag/scandals-of-classic-hollywood/

Thank you Hoya! I just spent the better part of an hour reading through stories! I love it :D