princess

Paparazzi Law

Justin Bieber

Photog JUSTIFIES

Car Chase

TMZ

The paparazzo who has been criminally charged with chasing Justin Bieber down the 101 Freeway last month will plead not guilty, claiming it's the same situation as a news reporter rushing to a fire.

Photog Paul Raef's lawyer, David Kestenbaum, tells TMZ ... his client is no different than a traditional news reporter covering a breaking story, and therefore he has a constitutional right to chase it.

Raef is the first person charged under California's new "Paparazzi Law," enhancing the punishment when a photog creates a dangerous situation for profit.

Kestenbaum tells TMZ Raef will challenge the new law, presumably on grounds that it violates his First Amendment right to freedom of the press.

Kestenbaum is in court right now for Raef's arraignment, where Raef's expected to plead not guilty.

Anyone else watching how this "Paparazzi Law" will play out?? Should get interesting...

that's a pretty dumb argument. No reporter, not even one rushing to the scene of a fire, should be driving that fast unless he'll be putting out the fire along with the firefighters.

personally I think both Bieber and the paparazzo should be cited.

And why don't these celebrities get drivers??? Then they can sit in the back shielded by tinted windows and no one would be the wiser. Instead they all want to drive, even after they've been partying. I just don't get it. If I were that rich, the first thing I would do is hire a driver. I'd never get behind the wheel again!

that's a pretty dumb argument. No reporter, not even one rushing to the scene of a fire, should be driving that fast unless he'll be putting out the fire along with the firefighters.

personally I think both Bieber and the paparazzo should be cited.

And why don't these celebrities get drivers??? Then they can sit in the back shielded by tinted windows and no one would be the wiser. Instead they all want to drive, even after they've been partying. I just don't get it. If I were that rich, the first thing I would do is hire a driver. I'd never get behind the wheel again!

The beibs was cited.

If I were that rich, the first thing I would do is hire a driver. I'd never get behind the wheel again!

Heck yeah! I mean, I'd have a fun little car for sunny days every now and then (certainly NOT after going out drinking!) - but most of the time? Someone else would be driving me around!

If I were that rich, the first thing I would do is hire a driver. I'd never get behind the wheel again!

That doesn't guarantee anything though, think Princess Diana.

I've heard the Paps are very.... combative. Purposely trying to get celebs into car accidents so they can have the exclusive shots. Saying super mean things to get a reaction. Will be interesting to me to see how this law ends up being enforced.

Saying super mean things to get a reaction.

Yeah, I've definitely heard that too....

I've heard the paps even sometimes spit on celebs to get a reaction. :shocked:

After we talked about it here a couple years ago, and what the paps do, I no longer make judgments about parents who carry their young (but able to walk) children when they're out in public.....

Posted Image

Halle Berry

Puts Paparazzi On Trial ...

Today

TMZ

Halle Berry is going to court today to convince a judge to let her move to Paris with 4-year-old Nahla -- over the vigorous objections of baby daddy Gabriel Aubry -- and Halle's secret weapon is the paparazzi.

Halle will try to prove it's unsafe for her to continue living in the U.S. because the paparazzi have created extreme danger for her and Nahla. We've been in touch with various paparazzi agencies and know Halle's lawyer, Stephen Kolodny, has been on the hunt for video he can show the judge ... hoping to show Halle and Nahla being "terrorized" by aggressive photogs. The trial will become a video presentation, which will include a crazy scene where Halle had to call the Beverly Hills Police so she and Nahla could make an escape from a restaurant.

Ironically, Halle has subpoenaed her arch-enemy, paparazzo Andrew Deetz. You'll recall, Halle went nuclear on the guy (see video) after he dogged Nahla at her school. Sources connected with Deetz tell TMZ ... Deetz has not only been subpoenaed, he will gladly testify it's his job to be uber-aggressive.

And we've spoken with sources connected with expert witnesses who will testify Halle and Nahla will get safe haven in France, where it's a crime to harass celebrities in public.

Kolodny did not return our calls.

TMZ will be in court for the fireworks.

Sources connected with Gabriel tell us ... the model knows Kolodny will also set his sights on him, painting him as a lousy human being.

and Halle's secret weapon is the paparazzi.

yeah, after she called them.

I really hope the judge turns her down on this. Its one thing to move to another state -- quite another to move to another country.