princess

Owen Wilson

OWEN IN 'SUICIDE ATTEMPT'

'OD BID' AFTER TIFF WITH PAL

August 28, 2007 -- A distraught Owen Wilson was found bloodied and dazed after trying to commit suicide by overdosing on pills and slitting his wrist in the wake of a bitter blowup with a close pal, a source told The Post yesterday.

The tow-haired, Tinsel town hunk was discovered at home by a stunned fam ily member Sunday.

"It's hard. He's such a wonderful person," one source said. "He's such a great guy and so smart and just . . . nice. We're just hoping he gets bet ter."

Wilson - who was listed in stable condi tion at Cedars-Sinai Medical Center in Los Angeles - released a statement through his representative re questing privacy.

"I respectfully ask that the media allow me to receive care and heal in private during this difficult time," said the star of "Wedding Crashers."

Cedars-Sinai spokes woman Cynthia Harding confirmed that Wilson "is here and in good con dition."

The actor had been transferred to Cedars- Sinai from St. John's Hos pital in Santa Monica after having undergone detox for the apparent pill overdose and surgery to his injured left wrist.

He will likely remain under the close watch of doctors for at least the next several days, one source said.

Authorities were alerted to the apparent suicide attempt after someone called Santa Monica police, and an ambulance raced to the home just after noon Sunday.

There were no details as to what may have caused Wilson to go off the deep end, except that the incident occurred shortly after a vicious quarrel with an unidentified friend.

Wilson's last serious romantic relationship - with beauty Kate Hudson - fell apart just before Memorial Day.

Hudson had been spotted over the weekend very publicly canoodling with handsome new love Dax Shepard, but sources insisted that it did not contribute to Wilson's emotional turmoil.

Wilson's family rushed to his hospital bedside.

His older brother, Andrew, appeared worried as he left the Santa Monica house and headed to the hospital early yesterday, one neighbor said.

His famous younger brother, actor Luke Wilson, was already at the hospital, said a source. Other visitors included actor Samuel L. Jackson.

Wilson's uncle Joe, who shares a house with Owen, said, "He's fine, and the family is doing great."

One neighbor said that when she heard the ambulance, she was surprised because Wilson never causes any trouble.

"All the neighbors like him, he's a friendly guy. He never has any crazy parties or does anything wrong," Betty Miller said.

But Wilson, 38 - who always appeared to be a happy slacker type - has a dark history of depression.

"It's very upsetting. People are complicated. It's not just one thing," said a friend of the actor.

Owen Pushed to Edge by Close Pal?

Posted Aug 28th 2007 8:26AM by TMZ Staff

Filed under: Let's Get This Party Started

Owen Wilson may have lost it over the weekend after a "vicious quarrel" with a close friend -- though there's no word on who that friend might be.

The otherwise affable Owen, reports the New York Post, went off the deep end Sunday just after noon, and just after a "vicious quarrel with an unidentified friend." He was discovered at home by a "stunned family member," says the Post. Neither authorities nor reps would confirm reports that Wilson had attempted suicide.

As TMZ showed you yesterday, Wilson was visited by brother Andrew and actor pal Samuel L. Jackson.

OK! can confirm that a 911 call was placed from Owen's home at 11:59 AM. Paramedics then alerted the Santa Monica Police Department. "Officers from the Santa Monica Police Department responded at 12:10 PM," Watch Commander Sgt. Steiner tells OK!, adding that "a person was transported from the 900 block of 23rd St. to a local hospital." Wilson lives on that block, which, coincidentally, is walking distance to St. John's Health Center, where Wilson was initially taken.

By 4:15 PM, Wilson had been stabilized and was transferred by ambulance to the bigger Cedars-Sinai Medical Center, 20 minutes away.

A neighbor of Owen tells OK! that he'd seemed well recently and had just returned from a family trip to Colorado, but was also "up and down a lot" lately. OK! can also confirm that Andrew was joined by younger brother Luke at Cedars-Sinai, where Owen's best friend, Wedding Crashers co-star Bradley Cooper, was also spotted entering.

Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

I wonder if bradley Cooper was the "friend" ;) and what they could have possibly been fighting about??

Edited by taco

usmagazine.com:

Owen Wilson's Suicide Attempt Confirmed

Tuesday August 28, 2007

Extra has obtained the Calls For Service report from the Santa Monica Police Department, which lists the reason for the 911 call from Owen Wilson’s house on Sunday as an “attempted suicide.”

The 911 call, which was received on August 26 at 12:08 p.m., was made by the actor’s younger brother, Luke, who found Owen. The Wedding Crashers star was immediately rushed to St. John’s Hospital in Santa Monica and was later transferred to Cedars-Sinai Medical Center.

According to Extra, he is listed in “good condition.”

Breaking News: Owen Wilson Did Attempt Suicide

Posted by ExtraTV Staff on August 27, 2007 4:15 PM

“Extra” has learned from a source close to Owen Wilson that the actor did indeed attempt suicide over the weekend.

The source revealed to “Extra” that Wilson has been depressed for the last few months, but insisted it is not over a broken relationship.

The source also told “Extra” that Wilson’s brother, Luke, found him and that Wilson’s family and friends are shocked.

Big fight with "friend"

suicide attempt

Bradley Cooper rushes to Owens side at hospital

Maybe Owen thought Bradley was outing him Monday on JJ.

Big fight with "friend"

suicide attempt

Good grief. Are you one of Jake's PR flacks or just a fan with blinkers on? Owen is NOT Toothy Tile. He's NOT.He doesn't fit ANY of the clues; besides he's way too old for Toothy.

He is straight. (I find your implication that he would attempt suicide because a friend was going to out him to be disturbingly homophobic). But in this case, I'm quite sure that wasn't the case. The guy is STRAIGHT (I've heard too many accounts otherwise). But he was depressed over something apparently.

He isn't gay. Jake is gay. Move on.

Edited by Crackerjack123

eonline

Performance Anxiety

Aug. 28, 2007 6:47 a.m. PT

by Sarah Hall

Owen Wilson's emergency hospitalization and ensuing recovery process are throwing the future of some of his upcoming projects into question, Variety reports. The funnyman was due to begin shooting a lead role in the Ben Stiller-directed comedy Tropic Thunder in the coming weeks, with filming on the project already underway in Hawaii. DreamWorks stated simply, "Filming on Tropic Thunder continues," without elaborating on whether Wilson was still expected to participate. Meanwhile, Wilson was also recently cast opposite Jennifer Aniston in the upcoming comedy Marley & Me, with production expected to begin in January. When asked if the schedule would be effected, a Fox spokesman told Variety, "It's a totally inappropriate question at this time when all of our thoughts and concerns are with his health and well being."

Big fight with "friend"

suicide attempt

Good grief. Are you one of Jake's PR flacks or just a fan with blinkers on? Owen is NOT Toothy Tile. He's NOT.He doesn't fit ANY of the clues; besides he's way too old for Toothy.

He is straight. (I find your implication that he would attempt suicide because a friend was going to out him to be disturbingly homophobic). But in this case, I'm quite sure that wasn't the case. The guy is STRAIGHT (I've heard too many accounts otherwise). But he was depressed over something apparently.

He isn't gay. Jake is gay. Move on.

I never stated that Owen was toothy, just that perhaps he thought Bradley may be the one feeding JJ some info. Before Monday[ which is when Owen had his incident,on Sunday] no one new that JJ was going to recycle toothy & out jake, only that he was outing an actor. way to jump the hostile gun :o

Had to add that I am amazed that you have first hand knowledge that Owen has never been involved with men. If he had been bi it may explain the Butterscotch Stallions adeptness at salad tossing though. I think he's bi you don't, no need for me to "move on".

I also have to add that if you read homophobia into my comments I am suprised, I have no such tendencies & think men are just as apt to have lovers spats as women are no matter what form the coupling takes. That really pissed me off, i do not post homophobic slurs.

Edited by taco

Woah... :blink:

I didn't get the vibe that Taco's post was homophobic. The thought also crossed my mind that Owen might be outed from the BI. Even though he's got a reputation of being a ladies man, doesn't really mean squat in the grand scheme of things(I know some gay men who were ladies men as well...so they could hide who they really were or be in denial...and yes, they also contemplated suicide, since we live in a society that taught us for so long that homosexuality is an abomination). Maybe this dude really is struggling with drugs, depression, maybe he's struggling with being gay, they are legitimate struggles...I didn't get the vibe that attributing this suicide attempt to a possible gay identity struggle is homophobic.

We all have identity struggles...we have to remember it's our society/religion(from manmade laws) that helps put these conflicts in our head that we are evil or going to hell if we act a certain way. And you mix that with drugs and depression...makes a tough combo.

So lets calm down. :)

Did anyone post this yet? I couldn't find it ...

Santa Monica police confirmed that officers responded to an attempted suicide at Owen Wilson's house, according to the police log.

The department's "Call for Service Report" posted online shows that the report came in at 12:08 p.m. Sunday from Wilson's 23rd Street address and that officers cleared the case five hours later.

The call was logged as "Attempt Suicide" – the first official confirmation of the reason for the call.

No other details were provided.

Wilson, 38, was recovering at Cedars-Sinai Medical Center in Los Angeles. He issued a statement pleading for privacy to allow him to "receive care and heal in private during this difficult time."

Cops: Owen Wilson Call an 'Attempted Suicide' - Owen Wilson : People.com

I was thinking last night about how some Internet gossip speculates that the suicide story is a coverup for a drug OD, and I decided that even if he is drugging, the suicide must be true. One of the reasons given for a coverup was that it would be easier for him to get insured for his films with a suicide problem rather than a drug problem. I'm not sure that's true, in any case, but an insurance company will want to see actual medical records, so a coverup would have been only for PR reasons. I'm not sure suicide is a better "story." Even though suicide seems to be the truth, I wonder what you guys think. Suicide or drug overdose: which one would cast an actor in a "better" light?

Drugs are pretty much the norm in Hollywood these days, but I think that suicide attempts are viewed in a harsher light. Drugged up seems to be OK & actors can still find work, but mental health problems seem to end careers.

Edited by taco

I was thinking last night about how some Internet gossip speculates that the suicide story is a coverup for a drug OD, and I decided that even if he is drugging, the suicide must be true. One of the reasons given for a coverup was that it would be easier for him to get insured for his films with a suicide problem rather than a drug problem. I'm not sure that's true, in any case, but an insurance company will want to see actual medical records, so a coverup would have been only for PR reasons. I'm not sure suicide is a better "story." Even though suicide seems to be the truth, I wonder what you guys think. Suicide or drug overdose: which one would cast an actor in a "better" light?

A one-time accidental OD (a la Mischa Barton at that party this Summer) is "better" for a celeb than an attempted suicide. If you're trying to kill yourself deliberately, that's a serious personal matter and doesn't just go away. Party a bit too hard one night and OD - phhhht - happens all the time. Not such a big deal.

See, I disagree, at least as far as the viewing public is concerned. While drugs are indeed the norm in H-wood, to the People crowd, they're not. And I think that readers/audiences/etc have a lot of sympathy for someone who is struggling with depression, whereas with an OD, a lot of people would think, "Well, at some point he made a choice to use drugs." Putting aside the issue of addiction, which is obviously serious and can render sympathy as well, I just think that people have more empathy for someone with mental health issues than with drug addiction because drugs seem like a choice, whereas depression does not.

Edited by freelancergirl

I'm not sure suicide is a better "story." Even though suicide seems to be the truth, I wonder what you guys think. Suicide or drug overdose: which one would cast an actor in a "better" light?

That wouldn't be my choice of words, but I take your point. Most of HW do drugs, and some actors have been banged up for use. Robert Downey Jnr fairly recently. Some legends too - Robert Mitchum. It's something that can be got over, by the trusty route of drugs hell -> rehab-> confess on Oprah. They can always plug the I beat coke/heroin angle.

Attempted suicide is a different matter. It always shocks me.

I should also add that when I first saw the initial headline, I said to my husband, "Oh, Owen Wilson OD-ed," with a little bit of not-surprised scorn. But when I saw that he'd attempted suicide, my scorn turned to horror and sadness. And I'm sure that I'm not alone in my reaction.

I should also add that when I first saw the initial headline, I said to my husband, "Oh, Owen Wilson OD-ed," with a little bit of not-surprised scorn. But when I saw that he'd attempted suicide, my scorn turned to horror and sadness. And I'm sure that I'm not alone in my reaction.

I am right there with you freelance girl!

^ Totally agree.. When I heard it was OD I rolled my eyes.. then when i heard he tried to kill himself I was shocked and sad for him.

As cynical as it is I think People magazine will sell alot more mags when they print his FIRST interview from the brink of meeting Mr. Death over his first interview from an OD.. Just my thought.

^ Totally agree.. When I heard it was OD I rolled my eyes.. then when i heard he tried to kill himself I was shocked and sad for him.

As cynical as it is I think People magazine will sell alot more mags when they print his FIRST interview from the brink of meeting Mr. Death over his first interview from an OD.. Just my thought.

Let´s hope he never does an interview.

Seems he really has serious issues. Not all things should be spread out in public for everyone to see...

Let´s hope he never does an interview.

Seems he really has serious issues. Not all things should be spread out in public for everyone to see...

Obviously his personal issues are serious. Depending on what he wants to do when he gets out of the hospital, he'll do interviews or not. If he chooses to retire from acting then he doesn't have to do any interviews. He's a talented writer and that's certainly an option for him. If he wants to continue being a movie star, he's going to have to publicly discuss what happened. That's just reality and the nature of the beast, right or wrong.

I've never noticed Owen much before (I like his movies and think he's funny, but I don't really go for blondes) but suddenly this makes him very real and very human to me. {{{{HUGS}}}}} Owen!

Edited by k80cat

This actually reeks of bipolar disorder. Remember Margo Kidder? She turned up in someones back yard. It is often the case that during a deep depressive cycle that suicide is often attempted. Drugs, illegal ones, are often used by the sufferer to help moderate moods.

I really don't think that we need to drag much more into this.

I wish him well and if this is the case that he gets some real treatment as a result of this.

This actually reeks of bipolar disorder. Remember Margo Kidder? She turned up in someones back yard. It is often the case that during a deep depressive cycle that suicide is often attempted. Drugs, illegal ones, are often used by the sufferer to help moderate moods.

I wish him well and if this is the case that he gets some real treatment as a result of this.

i disagree. nothing about him that ive ever seen seems bipolar. i mean he could be sure but nothing about this story or of his hisotry that ive heard "reeks" of it. There is no manic side ive ever heard about him. Its an act of depression yes. Manic depression? where's the manic?

Manic periods can appear to most people as just periods of intense productivity and action. The Manic stages don't always have to be out of control although they can be. In a business like Hollywood a lot of manic depressives could go undiagnosed, they are just in one of their mood swings! Besides when some one is working 12 hour days we often say wow I wish I had the energy.

Like Margo Kidder it is often not until later in life or if the swings begin to broaden that the diagnoses becomes clearer.

i disagree. nothing about him that ive ever seen seems bipolar. i mean he could be sure but nothing about this story or of his hisotry that ive heard "reeks" of it. There is no manic side ive ever heard about him. Its an act of depression yes. Manic depression? where's the manic?

In bipolar disorder, or even hypomania, the mania can be presumed if the depression and signs of impuslivity and other manic behavior are evidented in the history or in observation. I do agree in the manic phase one might be more apt to attempt suicide--it is a having energy thing. When I used to prescribe antidepressants, this was at the back of my mind, and with black box warnings about this, I stopped altogether.

Oh, his behavior is not consistant with Bipolar. Depression masked by a jovial public persona from his movies is much more likely. Dperession is so common and eaily mased that you almost forget that a ton of people have it. I would bet 20% of people on this board have it. I feel very sorry for him. To think how much time we waste with celebutard and other fading pop star dramas, and this guy is really suffering, apparently.