Sign in to follow this  
princess

Dolly Parton

I had no idea she put out a new album. I'm friggin' THRILLED to buy it, especially if she put it out onher own label and gets all the money. Dolly's one celeb that I am more than happy to support in anything she does. Except I hate amusement parks so I'll never go to Dollywood.

Parton Recovers From Back Injury, Plays Star Studded Gig

Country legend DOLLY PARTON put her recent back problems behind her to play a celebrity-packed record release party on Friday (28Mar08) night.

The veteran singer took the stage at The Roxy and performed hits including Jolene and Nine To Five to stars including actresses Emmy Rossum and Alison Janney and burlesque dancer Dita Von Teese.

The brief six-song gig, which was broadcast live on Los Angeles country radio station KKGO Go Country 105, was to promote Parton’s new album Backwoods Barbie.

The 62-year-old told the crowd and the listeners at home, "It’s good to be back where I belong! I wrote several records here and people have always been very nice."

Parton, famous for her busty image, was forced to postpone her U.S. tour in February (08) after doctors ordered her to rest for six to eight weeks to recover from a back injury, caused by her giant breasts.

Source: pr-inside

Dolly Parton, in town for 'American Idol,' works '9 to 5'

Mar 31, 2008, 11:11 PM | by Chris Willman

Dolly_parton_american_idol_5 Dolly Parton is in Hollywood this week to show those American Idol kids how it's done (watch for her on the show Wednesday night). But the most intriguing appearance she's made during her time in L.A. these last few days was a brief concert at the House of Blues for a theatrical "group sales" event, where she was touting the wonders of an upcoming Broadway show, 9 to 5, for which she's written a full song score. And let's just get this out of the way now now: It's a given that any new Broadway musical is a long shot, given how most of them lose money — and lots of it. But 9 to 5 on the Great White Way with this particular team has got to be the shortest long shot of all time.

Of course you know it'll be based on the 1980 movie comedy in which Parton costarred with Jane Fonda and Lily Tomlin. Maybe you don't know that it'll be directed by Joe Mantello, the hottest helmer in New York, thanks to his triumph with Wicked. You're probably not yet aware that it'll star Allison Janney in the Tomlin role; Megan Hilty (currently doing a great Glinda in the L.A. cast of Wicked) in the Parton part; Stephanie J. Block (currently Elphaba in Wicked on Broadway) in the Fonda role; and one of the theater's best-liked actors, Mark Kudisch, in the slot that was occupied by Dabney Coleman in the movie. The book is by Patricia Resnick, the frequent Robert Altman collaborator, who also wrote the 9 to 5 screenplay three decades ago.

EW.com spoke with Parton and Janney before they did their song-and-dance for the group buyers. (It's safe to say that Dolly had them at hello, or at least at her trademark "It takes a lot of money to look this cheap" line, uttered as she asked them to empty their pocketbooks.) The show's creators came to her more than three years ago to ask if she'd be interested in writing the music. "I'm not all that familiar with Broadway," Parton said, "but I said I'd love to give it a try. I sat down and wrote for two weeks and came up with 30 songs. They really loved 'em, and they're keeping 85 percent of what I wrote." Really? She came up with all the music for the show in two weeks? "I got a lot of snacks and went for it," she assured us.

Parton said she had the easiest time getting inside the head of the character she originally played, natch — and it's that "Doralee Rhodes" who gets to sing a tune called "Backwoods Barbie." If that sounds familiar, it's also the title track of Parton's self-released new album. But don't imagine an all-country score: "There's several really commercial songs that could be pop or rock [hits], and I'm hoping to do some of them myself" on future recordings.

If you're wondering how she's feeling — remember, she recently postponed her tour because of back problems that she correlated to her famous front — she insists she's fine. "I better be, because I've got my tour starting on the 22nd of April in Pittsburgh, and before that, the season opening of Dollywood April 11th and 12th. I just had some problems with my muscles that I had to work out for a few weeks before I could put on the tight clothes again."

Janney, meanwhile, sang the 9 to 5 songs at a workshop this past summer, and she's champing at the bit to start rehearsals in July for the show, which premieres at L.A.'s cavernous Ahmanson in September before moving on to Broadway next February. "I wanted to see if I felt confident," said the star of The West Wing and Juno. "I like to sing, but I've not been in a musical in quite some time, and never on Broadway" (though she got a Tony nomination for her work in an — obviously — non-musical Arthur Miller play, A View from the Bridge). "I was in Hairspray, the movie, but I didn't get to sing. I wanted to see how I felt before I committed, and I fell in love with it."

So, the big question: Is Allison Janney a belter, and she just didn't know it? "I totally am!" she said, straightening up in her seat with a big grin. "You are gonna hear me — and you're gonna enjoy it." Yes, ma'am! If she's not totally jiving us with that confidence, maybe she'll be coaching the contestants on Idol in a few years.

I love Janney too--she graduated with the first class of women from my high school alma mater, quite the trail-breaker in CT ;)

Dolly Parton is an amazing song writer--people forget that--she's been writing songs--good stuff--since she was a little kid. So much of it she doesn't perform--so I guess it probably wasn't all that hard for her to come up with 30 songs in a couple weeks. That's what she does. :D

Dolly Parton's West End Wish

Dolly Parton is desperate for her musical to have a run in London's West End.

The country singer - whose show '9 to 5: The Musical' is based on her classic hit of the same name - would be thrilled if the production played to British audiences.

She said: "Well, I'm hoping London does happen because I've written all the music. It's opening in Los Angeles later this year, and will hopefully open on Broadway in New York in spring 2009."

Dolly thinks the show will be a hit with British fans as they seem "appreciate" her more.

She added to Britain's Heart FM radio station: "I think that a lot of times the UK audiences are better for me because people kind of take you for granted in your home town or your home country.

"Through the years my UK fans have kept telling me how much they appreciate me and what I do. I don't get to come over to the UK often but I've always had wonderful times here. We've had great audiences here so why not?"

Meanwhile, Dolly was a guest mentor on 'American Idol' last night (01.04.08).

The top nine contestants of the hit US TV talent show each sang one of her songs before Dolly and the judging panel - Simon Cowell, Paula Abdul and Randy Jackson - gave their opinions.

Source: people.monstersandcritics.com

Dolly Parton Sets Sights On West End Musical

Country superstar Dolly Parton is desperate to bring her 9 to 5 musical to London's West End, because U.K. audiences are "great."

The country legend is set to launch her first musical, based on her 1980 hit single, in Los Angeles later this year, and is hoping a successful run will lead to shows on New York's Broadway and the West End.

And the 62-year-old singer can't wait to hit British shores with her musical - because Brits appreciate her artistic talents the most.

She tells London radio station Heart, "I'm hoping that does happen because I've written all the musical (sic) and it will hopefully open on Broadway in the spring of 2009. I think that a lot of times the U.K. audiences are better for me, because people kind of take you for granted in your home town or your home country. Through the years my U.K. fans have kept telling me how much they appreciate me and what I do. I don't get to come over here to the U.K. often but I've always had wonderful times here. We've had great audiences."

Dolly Parton helps eagle return to wild

By DUNCAN MANSFIELD,

Dolly Parton visited the woods overlooking Douglas Lake near the Great Smoky Mountains in designer buckskins and 4-inch heels. But she knew she wasn't the star of this show. It was a young American bald eagle.

The eagle was blown from its nest several weeks ago in Florida. On Thursday, it was returned to the wild by the American Eagle Foundation, which is based at the 62-year-old singer's Dollywood theme park.

Some 90 eagles have been released from the same spot since the 1990s. But this marked the first time that their country music benefactor had seen it in person.

Before she helped open the cage and watched the bird soar away, Parton named it "Liberty."

"I thought that sounded better than Baldy," she said.

Copyright © 2008 The Associated Press.

Dolly Parton helps eagle return to wild

By DUNCAN MANSFIELD,

Dolly Parton visited the woods overlooking Douglas Lake near the Great Smoky Mountains in designer buckskins and 4-inch heels. But she knew she wasn't the star of this show. It was a young American bald eagle.

The eagle was blown from its nest several weeks ago in Florida. On Thursday, it was returned to the wild by the American Eagle Foundation, which is based at the 62-year-old singer's Dollywood theme park.

Some 90 eagles have been released from the same spot since the 1990s. But this marked the first time that their country music benefactor had seen it in person.

Before she helped open the cage and watched the bird soar away, Parton named it "Liberty."

"I thought that sounded better than Baldy," she said.

Dolly always makes me smile. :lol:

Rodney Atkins and Dolly Parton to perform at ACMs

Rodney Atkins, Dolly Parton and Carrie Underwood are among the country stars lined up to perform at this year's Academy of Country Music Awards show, organizers announced Tuesday.

The May 18 show will be telecast live on CBS from the MGM Grand Garden Arena on the Las Vegas Strip.

Atkins is nominated for six awards, including top male vocalist. He was named top new male vocalist at last year. Underwood is nominated for top female vocalist.

Parton has won eight ACMs in her career. She is currently promoting her latest album, "Backwoods Barbie," a return to mainstream country.

Dolly Parton launches ambitious world tour

NASHVILLE (Billboard) - It's only 8 a.m. at Camp Dolly, the expansive, Spanish villa-styled compound just off Music Row in Nashville, but Dolly Parton is most definitely put together.

And on the cusp of an ambitious world tour, she has established a game plan to reach the box-office heights realized by her peers in the one-name iconic diva class. At the same time, the Parton brain trust endeavors to familiarize this iconic artist to a new generation of fans, an effort vitalized by a recent appearance on "American Idol."

Clearly invigorated by her new album, "Backwoods Barbie" on her own Dolly Records, Parton outshines even her bigger-than-life persona on this early spring morning. The back problems that delayed the start of the tour are behind her. Her voice is slightly hoarse due to exhaustive tour rehearsals, but Parton is quick with a laugh or a joke, and doesn't hesitate to break into song to make her point.

It's apparent that being Dolly Parton, even curled up on a sofa sipping a bottle of water, doing maybe her 10,000th career interview, is a full-time gig and one she happily embraces.

"I'm a very professional Dolly Parton," she says without a trace of sarcasm. "I can't tell anybody else how to run their life or their business, but I really believe I've got a good bead on myself. I know who I am, I know what I can and can't do, I know what I will and won't do, I know what I'm capable of."

Parton, 62, whose tour begins Tuesday in Pittsburgh, is living proof that it is possible to be a "backwoods Barbie" (to use her term), as well as a respected singer/songwriter, a multimedia icon and a savvy businesswoman.

Amid these talents, her priorities are clear. "I am a songwriter first, and a singer second, and an entertainer," she says. "I enjoy all of that and I take it all so seriously."

That's not to say the message can't sometimes be overwhelmed by the presentation. "I've often been misunderstood, and it has taken 40 years for people to realize how serious I am about the music," Parton says. "But this is also serious, the way I look. This is how I'm comfortable."

The way she looks, sings and performs has made her a worldwide brand, and one that some feel has underachieved at the box office. "If I say to you, 'Barbra Streisand, Bette Midler, Cher and Dolly Parton,' who's the odd one out?" Neil Warnock, CEO at her worldwide booking firm the Agency Group, asks rhetorically. "Dolly is, because she doesn't do the box office that the others do. And she should. She's as iconic as any one of those artists."

But an icon more familiar to an older demographic, as demonstrated by her "American Idol" appearance. "One thing we found out from 'American Idol': Most people don't know that Dolly Parton wrote 'I Will Always Love You,' most people don't know she has sold 110 million units, that she has 25 No. 1 singles, that she has 79 albums out, published 3,000 songs," says Danny Nozell, Parton's manager and GM of Dolly Records.

"We're not reinventing Dolly. We're just reintroducing her to a younger generation."

RISING FROM THE SMOKIES

If Parton is the queen of being "Dolly," that confidence and self-realization must have come in handy when she first came to Nashville at 18, fresh out of the Smoky Mountains. Already a veteran songwriter and pure-as-spring-water singer, she was untainted by popular culture.

"My style was just the way I sang. I would have been more influenced by my aunts, or my mother, who a great singer, than anybody else," Parton says. "We didn't have TV back in the early, early days, my most impressionable years, or even radio to a great extent. When I was little we didn't have electricity, so we had an old battery radio that you had to pour water on the ground wire to get it to stop whistling long enough to hear the Grand Ole Opry now and then when Daddy would try to get that."

Parton says she started writing songs at about 7 years old. "I had a gift of rhyme that ran in the family as well," she recalls. Her first exposure to the world outside her mountain home came via Cas Walker, a Knoxville, Tenn.-based businessman who showcased the wealth of regional talent on local TV broadcasts to promote his grocery store chain.

Parton first appeared on Walker's show at age 12, and her talent and charisma made her an immediate favorite in the region. Trouble was, nobody much outside of East Tennessee recognized the talent, so Parton headed to Nashville in 1964 the day after high school graduation.

"When I first came here I really was the backwoods Barbie: too much makeup, too much hair, the big boobs, country girl straight out of the mountains," she recalls. "It's hard to take somebody looking like that serious, I guess, so I had to work doubly hard to try to prove myself."

HEY, PORTER

Parton did crack the top 25 with "Dumb Blonde" in 1967. Her biggest break came when she was booked on "The Porter Wagoner Show" in the fall of that year (the first performance on which has found its way to YouTube), beginning a relationship that would forever link the pair. More hits followed, often collaborations with Wagoner, and by the mid-'70s, Parton had transcended the show and was a star in her own right.

"Porter and I were always like family, or a husband and wife in a way," Parton says of Wagoner, who died last year. "We fought all the time but we loved each other deeply and truly. We were both so stubborn and so much alike that we couldn't get along. We had our differences, but there was always that bond, and the last several years we had become really close again."

Parton admits she felt threatened and afraid when she branched out on her own, hovering on the brink of crossover success. "A lot of people thought I was making a big mistake and that I was being a fool, that I would not be accepted outside of (country), that I was ruining my career," she says.

"'Here You Come Again' (in 1977), that was my first single after I went out on my own, and it was my first million-selling record. I'd never even been anywhere close to selling that kind of records before."

Parton's multimedia career took flight in the '80s, with crossover hits, a TV show and starring roles in major motion pictures, beginning with "9 to 5" in 1980.

"I didn't leave home thinking, 'I'm going to be in the movies,' I left home thinking, 'I want to be a singer and a songwriter,"' she says. "I just knew that if my career went the way I hoped it would that all things were possible and it would all fall into place."

BACK TO BACKWOODS

Even with her numerous successful business concerns, including the popular Dollywood theme park in Pigeon Forge, Tenn., that she opened in 1986 (which will host a Wagoner tribute this year), Parton has also been prolific in the studio. She has released seven albums in the past decade, including a trilogy of bluegrass CDs on Rounder that has sold a combined 653,000 copies, according to Nielsen SoundScan.

Parton says she had one major goal in mind in recording the new project, released in February. "The same thing I've wanted to accomplish for years: to get some play on the radio and let people know I'm dead serious about my music," she says.

She knows what she's up against. "People my age lost their contracts with major labels several years ago, so since then I've been doing whatever I could, including doing my bluegrass thing, which I'm very proud of," she says. "But I really felt like that even though I'm the age I am, if I ever was any good I'm as good as I ever was."

"Backwoods Barbie" debuted at No. 3 on the Top Country Albums chart, her highest-charting set since "Eagle When She Flies" reached No. 1 in 1991. It has moved 83,000 copies to date, according to SoundScan.

DOLLY RECORDS

Parton has for several years enjoyed her own imprint with Blue Eye Records, but launched Dolly Records and the current project with renewed vigor. "I own all my masters, but I just wanted a fresh, clean start -- just go ahead and hire independent record people, hire somebody to run the label and really sink some money into it, invest in myself," she says.

"The majors are all going down the tubes. They're all has-beens like they all thought I was. So why not just do it? If it does well, then I make all the money, and if it don't, nothing ventured, nothing gained."

Her North American tour will be followed in June by an overseas trek. Some 90% of North American seats have been sold and 85% for Europe.

She says the overwhelmingly positive response she received from last year's European tour surprised even her.

"I knew that I had a lot of fans in Europe, especially of the old stuff," she says. "It was funny when we were doing the shows over there, people would hold up signs for 'Joshua' (from 1971) or 'Mule Skinner Blues' (1970), 'Jeannie's Afraid of the Dark' (1968). I knew I had fans but I didn't realize I had that many there that had lasted this long."

Parton's 2007 European tour took her to 12,000-capacity venues all over the United Kingdom; substantial venues in Scandinavia and the Netherlands; "and of course Ireland, where she is an absolute goddess," Warnock says.

The 2008 European tour will take Parton to large outdoor venues in the same markets, including two shows at London's O2 Arena.

MORE TO DO

Those in the Dolly business know they have to compete for Parton's time, and it's obvious she has plenty more that she wants to accomplish. "I wake up with new dreams every day," she says. She penned the score for a Broadway musical version of "9 to 5," and says an autobiographical musical is in the works.

She's also developing a weekly children's TV show, as well as children's music and books. She owns publishing, film and TV production assets. Her entertainment businesses, including Dollywood, Splash Country and Dixie Stampede, employ some 3,000 people. The Dollywood Foundation funds the Dolly Parton Imagination Library.

"I'm grateful, thankful that I have made some good investments and decisions. But my heart is in my music. I write every day. I will do that till the day I die, whether anybody buys them or hears those songs till after I'm dead."

Reuters/Billboard

Parton struggled to be accepted over her looks

By WENN

Country legend Dolly Parton had to work twice as hard as her chart competitors to break into the music industry - because no one took her appearance seriously.

The glamorous singer admits she turned heads when she first arrived on the country music scene in Nashville, Tennessee - the day after she graduated from high school in 1964.

But the buxom beauty, who has dubbed her new album Backwoods Barbie, refused to tone down her look - and instead focused on her songwriting.

Parton, 62, says, "When I first came here (to Nashville) I really was the backwoods Barbie: too much make-up, too much hair, the big boobs, country girl straight out of the mountains.

"It's hard to take somebody looking like that serious (sic), I guess, so I had to work doubly hard to try to prove myself."

Parton Took Advantage Of Her Sexuality

Country star DOLLY PARTON was fully aware of her effect on men from a young age - and has unashamedly used her sexuality to her advantage throughout her career.

The singer insists she never slept with anyone to unfairly advance her music career, but admits to flaunting her body in a bid to get her own way.

And Parton confesses she has used her assets to gain attention her whole life.

She says, "I'm talking tits, body, shape and height. I was a full-grown woman at 13. So I picked up early that men were looking at me. But that was all right, I wanted them to look at me.

"I was very secure in myself as a woman. I knew men, I knew the nature of men and I wasn't afraid of that.

"A lot of my dad's sisters had the big boobs and the little waists, but I flaunted mine more than the rest of them did. I wasn't afraid of my body. (But) I never slept with anybody to try and make it in the business."

Source: contactmusic

She says, "I'm talking tits, body, shape and height. I was a full-grown woman at 13. So I picked up early that men were looking at me. But that was all right, I wanted them to look at me.

"I was very secure in myself as a woman. I knew men, I knew the nature of men and I wasn't afraid of that.

"A lot of my dad's sisters had the big boobs and the little waists, but I flaunted mine more than the rest of them did. I wasn't afraid of my body. (But) I never slept with anybody to try and make it in the business."

Well yeah, Dolly, you're a lesbian so why would you care?

Anyway, it doesn't matter because Dolly Parton is a fabulous singer-songwriter with incredible longevity. She's paid her dues and then some.

Parton "shocked" at Howard Stern radio segmet

By Jonathan Cohen

NEW YORK (Billboard) - Country music star Dolly Parton has hit back against Howard Stern's satellite radio show, which last week manipulated recordings from one of her audio books into seemingly racist and sexually graphic sound bites.

"I have never been so shocked, hurt and humiliated in all my life," Parton said in a statement on Wednesday. "I cannot believe what Howard Stern has done to me. In a blue million years, I would never have such vulgar things come out of my mouth. They have done editing or some sort of trickery to make this horrible, horrible thing. Please accept my apology for them and certainly know I had nothing to do with this."

She concluded: "If there was ever going to be a lawsuit, it's going to be over this. Just wanted you to know that I am completely devastated by this."

"The Howard Stern Show" frequently utilizes audio book recordings in this fashion; altered clips from "Star Trek" actor George Takei became a staple of the program in recent years.

Reuters/Billboard

By Jonathan Cohen

NEW YORK (Billboard) - Country music star Dolly Parton has hit back against Howard Stern's satellite radio show, which last week manipulated recordings from one of her audio books into seemingly racist and sexually graphic sound bites.

Pretty uncool Howard.

Go Dolly.

By Jonathan Cohen

Pretty uncool Howard.

Go Dolly.

Seriously. If you're going to pick on someone - why choose her? She's fucking awesome.

I hope she sues him for a fortune over this. Howard Stern proves once again that he's an idiot. I've defended him in the past over that obscenity crap and the fines, but that doesn't blind me to the major case of stunted development and bad taste he's carting around. What an asshole.

TEAM DOLLY.

Howard has done this with dozens of people including Oprah, Dr Phil, Robin, Ahnold, William Shatner and George Takei.

There is no way people listening would actually think it was really Dolly talking. I think there are ligit reasons to get mad at Howard but this is not one of them, Dolly needs to get a sense of humor!

Edited by ElleDriver

From what I have seen and heard, Dolly has a great sense of humor.

Using her material to make racist comments, whether people believed it was her or not, is not really the point.

Wow, Dolly...So much crap, destruction and death in the world and you whine about this? :rolleyes:

Wow, Dolly...So much crap, destruction and death in the world and you whine about this? :rolleyes:

Yeah well, I listened to the clips on D-Listed and if I were her, I'd raise holy hell too. There's always crap, destruction and death going on - that doesn't mean we should sit back and not defend ourselves. JMO.

Yeah well, I listened to the clips on D-Listed and if I were her, I'd raise holy hell too. There's always crap, destruction and death going on - that doesn't mean we should sit back and not defend ourselves. JMO.

No prob...I didn't think it was a direct attack on her...so don't know what she is defending herself from.

The only time I remember or thought Stern crossed the line was when he played a Selina song and played gunshots after she had been murdered...even he apologized for that.

No prob...I didn't think it was a direct attack on her...so don't know what she is defending herself from.

The only time I remember or thought Stern crossed the line was when he played a Selina song and played gunshots after she had been murdered...even he apologized for that.

I agree Bobby D, the Selina thing was in awful taste!

As a regular listener I have heard far worse with these clips on the show. Shatner was there today and while they were playing his clips he offered to say whatever words they wanted so they could use them for future clips. That is a good sport.

Edited by ElleDriver