Sign in to follow this  
princess

PETA

PETA Upset at Six Flags Roach Contest

GURNEE, Ill. (AP) - People for the Ethical Treatment of Animals wants Six Flags Great America to scrap its Halloween-themed cockroach-eating promotion.

A spokeswoman for the animal rights organization says the contest at the amusement park's FrightFest is "gratuitously cruel."

The park in Gurnee, Ill., is joining other Six Flags parks in offering unlimited line-jumping privileges to anyone who eats a live Madagascar hissing cockroach. The bugs are up to three inches long.

The contest begins next month.

Amusement park officials are defending their menu choice. Great America spokesman Jim Taylor says the bugs are nutritious, high in protein and fat free.

Sadie Frost’s Naked Ass will not Save Animals

Sadie Frost, who once made out with a hairy man-beast in Dracula…wait, that was Jude Law…scratch that. Anyway, Sadie is off in the UK taking her clothes off and turning around to help promote PETA’s new “Turn your back on fur” campaign. Which is fitting, since Sadie seems to have a soft downy fur herself. But I’m just not seeing Sadie’s bare back and bare ass helping out those poor animals who were blessed (or cursed) with an amazing coat of fur that starlets want to wrap their skeletal bodies in. The sad truth here is that an animal’s fur would be pretty well suited to cover up Sadie’s ass here…and I like furry animals. Just like furry socks. Furry dishes. Furry sex manequi….er, wait…never mind.

IN FUR THE NIGHT

Page Six

October 4, 2006 -- PETA honchos Ingrid Newkirk and Dan Mathews and a horde of protesters spent Monday night in a Paris slammer. The group was arrested after busting into the Jean Paul Gaultier flagship boutique and dousing the designer's street-level windows with red paint while wearing "bloodied" donated furs and shouting, "Gaultier! Killer!," for over an hour. Brigitte Bardot defended the protest and told us via a rep, "I cannot believe that [Gaultier] is unable to [stop using fur]. Only imbeciles do not change opinions." Look for more protests at Gaultier's 30th anniversary party this weekend.

Cockroach-eating contest bugs animal group

Wed Oct 11, 2006 7:53am ET

TORONTO (Reuters) - An animal rights group called Tuesday for a North American theme park operator to cancel a competition in which people will try to break the world cockroach-eating record.

Theme park operator Six Flags Inc, based in New York, is staging the contest as part of a promotion leading up to Halloween in which it is also offering customers free entry or line-jumping advantages if they eat a live Madagascar hissing cockroach.

The People for the Ethical Treatment of Animals (PETA) said it had been flooded with calls from children, adults and even anonymous employees of Six Flags opposing the record-breaking contest and the overall promotion.

"Insects do not deserve to be eaten alive especially for a gratuitous marketing gimmick," PETA spokeswoman Jackie Vergerio told Reuters.

The competition to beat the world cockroach eating record is being held Friday at a Six Flags park in Gurnee, Illinois. Anyone who beats the record will win a season pass for four people for 2007 with VIP queue-jumping status.

Competitors will try to break the current world record, which is held by Ken Edwards of Derbyshire, England, who devoured 36 Madagascar hissing cockroaches in one minute in 2001.

However Six Flags spokesman James Taylor said the only complaints the company had received were from people who did not have the opportunity to sign up and eat a cockroach because

only 12 of its 30 parks in the United States, Canada, and Mexico were participating in the promotion.

Taylor dismissed any health concerns, saying the cockroaches were raised in a sterile environment and were as safe to eat as shrimp or lobster with high nutritional value.

Madagascar hissing cockroaches are large, wingless cockroaches that can grow to between 1.5 to 3 inches.

Taylor said no one who had indulged in this rare delicacy had complained.

"It's something that's supposed to be scary, it's icky, it's gross, it's Halloween fun and it's just one small part of the haunted houses and thrilling rides going on."

© Reuters 2006. All Rights Reserved.

Wow, even though I'm not even a vegetarian, I have to say that I'm with PETA on this one. Killing animals/insects for fun is just proto-serial killer behaviour, IMO. Killing animals for subsistence, that's a different issue (I hail from probably the only susbsistence-based state where that could even be an issue, so no prizes for guessing my origin). It reminds me of putting goldfish in bowls for event dinners, and then throwing them away. Also wrong.

Wow, even though I'm not even a vegetarian, I have to say that I'm with PETA on this one. Killing animals/insects for fun is just proto-serial killer behaviour, IMO. Killing animals for subsistence, that's a different issue (I hail from probably the only susbsistence-based state where that could even be an issue, so no prizes for guessing my origin). It reminds me of putting goldfish in bowls for event dinners, and then throwing them away. Also wrong.

Yeah...but...but....but...they're roaches? I mean, maybe if they came to my old neighborhood and have a smorgasbord? Constructive killing of roaches? :D

Fur flies over wedding attire

Pamela Anderson is on the warpath over animal issues on two fronts. The former “Baywatch” babe is reportedly furious with her new mother-in-law, Susan Ritchie, for wearing fur at her July 29 wedding in Michigan to Kid Rock, according to the Star.

“Pam knew it was a slap in the face,” a source tells the upcoming Star. “She couldn’t believe Susan would wear a dead animal after all the conversations they’ve had about Pam’s involvement protecting animals.” The tensions with Anderson’s mother-in-law don’t end there, and some expect the fur to fly on other issues in the future.

Meanwhile, Anderson is upset because her Chihuahua is missing. Luca was last spotted with Anderson’s parents on a private beach in Vancouver.

“I think somebody took him,” she notes. “He normally runs the beach but has been on medication and could have been groggy and not himself. There was a construction crew and an odd person walking the beach through public access ways. I need him back.”

Pam Anderson goes postal over stamp

‘Baywatch’ babe doesn’t think Colonel Sanders should be honored

Pamela Anderson doesn’t want the Post Master General to approve a stamp featuring KFC's Colonel Sanders.

By Jeannette Walls

MSNBC

Pamela Anderson has gone postal over a stamp.

The former “Baywatch” babe has written an angry letter to the Postmaster General, blasting KFC’s request to put the bearded image of the founder of the fast-food chain on a stamp.

Anderson, a staunch animal-rights activist and a vocal member of PETA, has blasted KFC for its treatment of chickens and has been part of a long-standing campaign on behalf of the feathered critters.

“Honoring a man whose legacy involves breaking animals’ bones and scalding animals to death in defeathering tanks is contrary to the values of most compassionate citizens, and I hope that you’ll deny KFC’s request,” Anderson wrote in a letter to Postmaster General John E. Potter. “How about another Elvis stamp instead?”

PETA TO AL GORE: YOU CAN’T BE A MEAT-EATING ENVIRONMENTALIST

Tue Mar 06 2007 17:08:05 ET

The Most ‘Inconvenient Truth’: According to U.N., Animals Raised for Food Generate More Greenhouse Gases Than All Cars and Trucks Combined

Norfolk, Va. — This morning, PETA sent a letter to former vice president Al Gore explaining to him that the best way to fight global warming is to go vegetarian and offering to cook him faux “fried chicken” as an introduction to meat-free meals. In its letter, PETA points out that Gore’s film, An Inconvenient Truth—which starkly outlines the potentially catastrophic effects of global warming and just won the Academy Award for “Best Documentary”—has failed to address the fact that the meat industry is the largest contributor to greenhouse-gas emissions.

In the letter, PETA points out the following:

· The effect that our meat addiction is having on the climate is truly staggering. In fact, in its recent report “Livestock’s Long Shadow—Environmental Issues and Options,” the United Nations determined that raising animals for food generates more greenhouse gases than all the cars and trucks in the world combined.

· Researchers at the University of Chicago have determined that switching to a vegan diet is more effective in countering global warming than switching from a standard American car to a Toyota Prius.

PETA also reminds Gore that his critics love to question whether he practices what he preaches and suggests that by going vegetarian, he could cut down on his contribution to global warming and silence his critics at the same time.

“The single best thing that any of us can do to for our health, for animals, and for the environment is to go vegetarian,” says PETA President Ingrid E. Newkirk. “The best and easiest way for Mr. Gore to show his critics that he’s truly committed to fighting global warming is to kick his meat habit immediately.”

PETA TO AL GORE: YOU CAN’T BE A MEAT-EATING ENVIRONMENTALIST

Tue Mar 06 2007 17:08:05 ET

The Most ‘Inconvenient Truth’: According to U.N., Animals Raised for Food Generate More Greenhouse Gases Than All Cars and Trucks Combined

Norfolk, Va. — This morning, PETA sent a letter to former vice president Al Gore explaining to him that the best way to fight global warming is to go vegetarian and offering to cook him faux “fried chicken” as an introduction to meat-free meals. In its letter, PETA points out that Gore’s film, An Inconvenient Truth—which starkly outlines the potentially catastrophic effects of global warming and just won the Academy Award for “Best Documentary”—has failed to address the fact that the meat industry is the largest contributor to greenhouse-gas emissions.

In the letter, PETA points out the following:

· The effect that our meat addiction is having on the climate is truly staggering. In fact, in its recent report “Livestock’s Long Shadow—Environmental Issues and Options,” the United Nations determined that raising animals for food generates more greenhouse gases than all the cars and trucks in the world combined.

· Researchers at the University of Chicago have determined that switching to a vegan diet is more effective in countering global warming than switching from a standard American car to a Toyota Prius.

PETA also reminds Gore that his critics love to question whether he practices what he preaches and suggests that by going vegetarian, he could cut down on his contribution to global warming and silence his critics at the same time.

“The single best thing that any of us can do to for our health, for animals, and for the environment is to go vegetarian,” says PETA President Ingrid E. Newkirk. “The best and easiest way for Mr. Gore to show his critics that he’s truly committed to fighting global warming is to kick his meat habit immediately.”

I wonder how many members of PETA still wear their UGG boots and wear leather? What an insipid organization.

I wonder how many members of PETA still wear their UGG boots and wear leather? What an insipid organization.

They mean well, but their over the top tactics put off so many people that it seems PETA is less about the welfare of animals and more about the publicity of a grand performance.

They mean well, but their over the top tactics put off so many people that it seems PETA is less about the welfare of animals and more about the publicity of a grand performance.

I agree 100% with this comment. PETA should use more of their money on education rather than billboards of naked celebrities and red paint to throw on people.

Amazing, the country is run by oil men...but the man who isn't running tthings seems to be under tougher scrutiny. Yeah, I know...I guess he asks 4 it.

Fur flies between PETA and Karl Rove

PETA's not too thrilled with Karl Rove's recent remarks about animals.

By Jeannette Walls

MSNBC

PETA has Karl Rove in its crosshairs.

The animal-rights group — which usually goes after fur-wearing celebs such as Nicole Richie and Ashley Olsen — has set its sights on President Bush’s top aide.

Rove provoked the group’s ire with a rap routine he performed at the Washington Radio and TV Correspondents’ dinner.

“Listen up suckas, don’t get the jitters,” Rove rapped, “but MC Rove tears the heads off of critters.” And when asked if he has any hobbies, Rove said he enjoys “ripping the tops off of animals” and demonstrated with his hands.

“We saw your bizarre routine. . . and our first thought was, ‘Don’t give up your day job,’” PETA president Ingrid Newkirk wrote in a letter to Rove at the White House. “On second thought, we do wish you’d give up your day job. . . . You have a severe compassion deficit and, sadly, you have the president’s ear, and the last thing this country needs is someone whispering something violent into it.”

Wasn’t Rove just joking, asked The Scoop? “He hunts DOVES!” fired back Newkirk. “They’re four-ounce symbols of PEACE.”

Plus: PETA takes on the Princeton Tigers

MSNBC

PETA takes on Tigers

The Ivy Leaguers at Princeton are the next target of PETA.

The animal-rights group, which usually sets its sights on celebs such as Nicole Richie and high-profile fashion designers, is hoping it can make the Princeton Tigers stop eating meat.

Tomorrow, veggie students at the university will stage a protest by appearing nearly naked, smeared with fake blood, wrapped in cellophane and lying on giant meat trays outside the cafeteria beneath signs that read: “Meat Is Murder.”

The appearance coincides with a student-sponsored talk by PETA vice-president Dan Mathews, who will discuss his new book “Committed: A Rabble Rouser’s Memoir.”

Mathews says he had second thoughts about presenting the long-planned protest so soon after the tragedy at Virginia Tech, but explains that students met with school officials, who approved the demonstration “as long as we don’t splatter fake blood everywhere so that when students walk by later they don’t think there was a killing.”

PETA not monkeying around with ‘Speed Racer’

By Jeannette Walls

MSNBC

There’s more than speed racing going on on the set of Emile Hirsch and Christina Ricci’s upcoming film. A chimp bit an actor on the set of “Speed Racer” — and there are allegations that the chimp was beaten.

“We are in receipt of information that may upset you,” PETA wrote to the producer Joel Silver, the man behind such megahits as the “Matrix” and “Die Hard” series. “We’ve received several troubling complaints from people who have been on the ‘Speed Racer’ set and report that the main chimpanzee ‘actor’ has been beaten and has bitten one of the human actors.” PETA urged Silver to stop using the live critters and switch to animatronics.

“We appreciate the concerns of your organization,” came back the letter from movie company Warner Bros. “We also respect the vision and choices of the filmmakers with which we work. Every option on a film is carefully weighed, and for this production, the decision was made to use live animals.”

A spokesperson confirmed that a chimp did chomp on a young actor, but said that the actor was treated and the animal was given a rest. She sent along assurances from the American Humane Society that no animals were being abused.

PETA isn’t satisfied. “No humane representative is closely monitoring those animals while off-set or during pre-production training, the very places where abuse is most likely to occur,” the organization wrote back, “so we regret to say that the assurances you offer are meaningless.”

Steve-O: Naked Jackass Protects Animals

Steve-O is the new, er, face of PETA. The jackass is taking it all off, again, but this time it's for a cause.

Posted Image

In the new PETA ad, which will be revealed today during L.A.'s fashion week, Steve-O is getting cheeky. The ad claims he'd rather go naked than wear fur, but in all probability, he'd just rather go naked anyway.

It doesn't take a genius to know that animal cruelty is wrong, and this ad proves it.

Zombie Fronts Meat-Free Thanksgiving Campaign

Rocker/director Rob Zombie quit eating turkey at Thanksgiving when he learned all about the methods farms use to fatten up fowl.

The animal lover insists he can't even look at a frozen Butterball turkey anymore, and this Thanksgiving he's hoping to encourage others to give up meat as part of a new People for the Ethical Treatment of Animals campaign.

Zombie is narrating the message on PETA's new holiday hotline, 1-888-VEG-FOOD, where callers can hear the "House of 1000 Corpses" director warn that eating turkeys supports misery that even the horror king can't stomach.

He says, "Every year, Butterball's Turkey Talk Line answers questions about how to boil, broil, roast, and toast the bodies of these gentle, smart, and social birds.

"What Butterball doesn't tell you is that it, like other meat companies, tortures turkeys before they end up in grocery stores."

Zombie became a vegetarian in high school after seeing a documentary about slaughterhouses: "It freaked me out, and I found it so disgusting that I stopped eating meat

Samantha Who? star Christina Applegate is the latest celebrity to strip down for PETA. Christina bared almost-all for an e-card urging holiday shoppers to forgo pricey fur this season, and details her anti-fur/pro-vegetarian lifetyle in a related Q&A.

Posted Image

I'm probably the biggest animal lover you'll ever meet (I am a vegan and work at a vet clinic etc.) and I really dislike PETA. Their PR tatics are so revolting and stupid. Animal rights is a very important issue and PETA just trivializes it and gives all animal lovers a bad name.

:blink:

I'm probably the biggest animal lover you'll ever meet (I am a vegan and work at a vet clinic etc.) and I really dislike PETA. Their PR tatics are so revolting and stupid. Animal rights is a very important issue and PETA just trivializes it and gives all animal lovers a bad name.

:blink:

Cool. I'm not a vegan, but I do love animals and have two adopted strays at home that are treated like princes. And I hate Peta too. They're revolting.

I'm not a vegan...I love animals...and I really hate PETA as well. We all have something in common at least! :D