princess

Rosie O'Donnell

Rosie goes heels over

head battlin' depression

BY RICHARD HUFF and CORKY SIEMASZKO

DAILY NEWS STAFF WRITERS

Picture Rosie O'Donnell hanging upside down from a swing.

That image might bring a smile to the faces of Donald Trump, Tom Selleck, Kelly Ripa and some of the other people with whom she has famously feuded over the years.

But for O'Donnell, it's one of the ways she deals with depression - a crippling condition she began battling in 1999 after wrenching reports of the Columbine High School massacre sent her into a tailspin.

"I couldn't stop crying," she admits tomorrow on ABC's "The View." "I stayed in my room. The lights were off. I couldn't get out of bed and that's when I started taking medication."

O'Donnell also does "inversion therapy," where she hangs upside down from a special swing for 15 to 30 minutes a day. She demonstrates on the show, which is devoted to the subject of treating depression.

Fox TV thinks O'Donnell doesn't have enough blood rushing to her head. In a statement yesterday, it blasted the 44-year-old diva of daytime TV for repeating her charge on "The View" yesterday that "American Idol" was "racist and weight-ist," discriminating against contestants of color and girth.

"Viewers need only look at the show to realize that 'American Idol' constantly confirms to America that talent has nothing to do with weight or color," executive producer Nigel Lythgoe wrote.

Dr. Stephen Barrett of the National Council Against Health Fraud also took issue with O'Donnell's claims that hanging upside down clears her head.

"There's no physiological reason why hanging upside down would help a person's mental health," said Barrett, a retired psychiatrist who also runs the Quackwatch.org site. "It's probably the quiet that helps her, which is something that can be accomplished by going to bed for half an hour and trying to make her mind blank. When this technique first surfaced, it was supposed to help everything from hemorrhoids to sagging bowels."

Doctors found that in some cases hanging upside down raised blood pressure and posed a danger to people suffering from glaucoma and spinal problems, Barrett said.

NY DAILY NEWS

Tears cloud her 'View'

Rosie O'Donnell may be the one hanging upside down to battle her blues, but it's her "View" co-anchor Elisabeth Hasselbeck who's always dissolving in tears. Witness:

August 2006: The blond conservative wells up during a heated discussion about the morning-after pill. Barbara Walters has to tell her to "calm down."

September 2006: An insider tells us that Hasselbeck has been "crying every day" because "no one can control Rosie, and Elisabeth can't contain her feelings. She gets so upset all the time."

October 2006: Hasselbeck appears visibly upset discussing the fact that "Law and Order: SVU" created a double rape and murder victim in her image and name.

March 2007: Rosie calls her conservative co-host "very young and very wrong" because of her pro stance on the government's access to citizens' phone conversations, reducing Hasselback to tears, and reports surface that she's looking for a new job.

Our advice to Elisabeth: give Star Jones a call and see if she can get you an "in" at Court TV. They're apparently desperate for talent.

A SOCIALITE'S LIFE

Rosie And Combover At It Again

Rosie and Donald are fighting again. These two should just bang and get it over with. Seriously. Shut up!

Or so she mockingly suggested in a pre-emptive strike against Trump on her blog this morning, responding to comments that Trump made to "EXTRA" about Rosie's bouts with depression. Trump, never one to pass up a chance to skewer his favorite lesbian talk show host, made remarks suggesting that she's depressed from looking in the mirror. Responded Rosie, in her customary lowercase verse-ish;

the dump truck is at it again

so hurtful 2 know he doesnt find me attractive

as it has been my goal

for so long

to give a balding billionaire a boner

Our three readers would stop reading if we wrote everything in haiku form. Or iambic pentamenter. Or whatever the hell that is. What am I - Pinter? T.S. Eliot? Fer chrissakes, I get excited when the new issue of Astonishing X-Men comes out. This ain't Mensa.

NYDailynews.com

Side dish

Elisabeth Hasselbeck continues to chafe under Rosie O'Donnell's dominance on the set of "The View." "She's still upset about Rosie, and was even madder [yesterday] because it was Rosie's birthday and they dedicated the whole show to her," reveals our spy. "She also thinks Barbara doesn't have any control over the show anymore." Tuesday's show featured a segment about the Iraqi prisoner-abuse scandal during which O'Donnell snapped at an impassioned Hasselbeck, "You have to stop. You can ask a question, but you can't just blather on your opinion." "View" spokesman Karl Nilsson says there is "absolutely no truth or merit to any of this. Additionally, Barbara has repeatedly said on the show that she loves Rosie, and Rosie's opinions are her own."

Tuesday's show featured a segment about the Iraqi prisoner-abuse scandal during which O'Donnell snapped at an impassioned Hasselbeck, "You have to stop. You can ask a question, but you can't just blather on your opinion

That is right, because the only opinion that matters and is correct is Rosie's. <_<

Tuesday's show featured a segment about the Iraqi prisoner-abuse scandal during which O'Donnell snapped at an impassioned Hasselbeck, "You have to stop. You can ask a question, but you can't just blather on your opinion

That is right, because the only opinion that matters and is correct is Rosie's. <_<

Just for argument sake and to preface my statement -I'm no fan of either, but EH went on and on (5mins or so) and Rory Kennedy couldn't get full answers in. As a viewer I just wanted the interview to go on and the pissing match to stop.

I think in this case, Rosie was doing her job as moderator and trying to get the interview going.

It definitely is the battle of Agendas at the view, Rosie's vs. Elisabeth's. The issue for me is that Elisabeth's isn't her own, it is very bush-centric, blind, and it is based in ignorance. At least Rosie's agenda is anti-suppression of information.

Oh please. They're both idiots.

At least Rosie has a mind of her own, Elisabeth is a [expletive] drone. If Elisabeth could form her scattered opinions into a valid arguement it would also really make for better tv, not that I watch the view but I've seen stray clips or what have you on youtube, she becomes manic and when she is not just trying to talk louder, she is not even able to form sentences.

It is a trainwreck, girl needs to get off that STRAWBERRY QUICK! :wacko:

Joy is the best anyways, just give her the show. ;)

Joy is the best, I catch the view maybe once a month, but mainly thru youtube when there some hub-bub; she looks like she's counting down to when they just lose it and start physically attacking each other.

I think it was today's show, but they made EH and Rosie sit next to each other. Is that to punish both or trick the viewer into thinking all is right on the show? Probably both. :)

:rolleyes: Put this in the "Yeah, Right..." file:

Elisabeth and Rosie BFFs

Though blonde "View"-ette Elisabeth Hasselbeck is known for veering toward the more conservative side, she swears she and her more liberal co-host Rosie O'Donnell are the best of friends.

"Everyone's always thinking Ro and I don't get along, we're 'enemies,' " Hasselbeck told People magazine. "Politically, we're rivals. That is clear. However, we are personally friends. We are on e-mail all day long with each other."

She also put rumors to rest that O'Donnell's on-air remarks have caused the younger star to cry backstage. "Under these blonde highlights I consider myself a pretty tough person. So don't cry for me, Argentina." Uh, we won't.

http://www.tmz.com/

Bermuda Cut From O'Donnell's Gay Cruise

AP

A summer cruise for gay and lesbian families organized by Rosie O'Donnell has cut Bermuda from its planned itinerary because of possible protests by church groups in the British island territory.

O'Donnell's charter company said it would replace the Bermuda stop with two other ports of call in Florida. It will also stop at a private island in the Bahamas. The tour is scheduled to leave New York in July on a ship owned by Miami-based Norwegian Cruise Line.

The charter company, R Family Vacations, said on its Web site that it wanted to avoid the type of protests that greeted passengers when one of its cruises stopped in Nassau, Bahamas, in 2004.

In the statement, the company said Bermuda's prime minister had assured them they would be welcome as tourists and they had also received hundreds of supportive e-mails from people who live in the wealthy British enclave.

Still, organizers felt they could not be certain there would be no protesters greeting them upon arrival. "We feel that our cruise would be more enjoyable with an alternate itinerary to ports where we know we are welcome by everyone."

In 2004, about 100 protesters chanting anti-gay slogans met one of the company's cruises when it arrived in Nassau with about 1,150 passengers.

O'Donnell, 45, is a co-host on ABC's "The View."

R Family Vacations, with offices in Nyack, N.Y., was founded by Gregg Kaminsky and Kelli O'Donnell, partner of the talk-show host.

Kaminsky said in a phone interview Tuesday that he expects the cruise will be sold out with about 2,000 passengers.

"We have no hard feelings against Bermuda. It's just a few church groups," he said.

___

On the Net:

http://www.rosie.com

http://www.rfamilyvacations.com

(Pagesix.com)

Trump Gift Undermines Rosie

April 19, 2007 -- DONALD Trump has unleashed a secret weapon in his feud with Rosie O'Donnell - a gigantic black undergarment she wore in the movie "Exit to Eden," which Trump sent to Barbara Walters on Monday to hang on the office wall at "The View."

The girdle-like outfit - variously described as "a bustier" and "a giant pair of panties" - was bought at a charity auction by a fan, who then had the relic framed under glass and delivered to Trump.

"I sent it to Barbara to hang in her office because I didn't want it in mine. It was funny, except that it was really gross. It's disgusting," Trump told Page Six. "I feel sorry for [Rosie's] wife. It can't be pleasant."

O'Donnell played the police detective partner of Dan Aykroyd in the 1994 comedy described by Leonard Maltin as a "strange cinematic catastrophe." The two cops go undercover at a sado-masochistic fantasy camp, which required O'Donnell to wear the bustier with garters and stockings while brandishing a whip.

On "The View" on Monday, O'Donnell asked Walters, Joy Behar and Elizabeth Haselbeck: "You want to hear what a 61-year-old businessman did today? He sent Barbara . . ."

Walters interrupted: "But this is for me to say. This was sent for me, it was not sent to you." O'Donnell: "Go ahead, you say it." Walters: "No, I don't want to." O'Donnell: "You don't want to?"

Walters ended the conversation, "I really do not want to stir up the whole Donald Trump thing again" - leaving viewers wondering what they were talking about.

Yesterday, Walters, who's also the creator and executive producer of "The View," was still playing peacemaker. "I am supportive of my friend and colleague Rosie," she informed us, "but I have no desire to continue a feud with Donald Trump."

Ratings for "The View" soared last December when O'Donnell ridiculed Trump as a "snake-oil salesman" and flopped her hair to one side in a wicked impersonation of him. Trump fired back, calling her "a fat slob" and "a bully," and claimed Walters regretted hiring her to replace Meredith Vieira.

O'Donnell leaving 'The View'

CNN.COM

April 25, 2007

• Rosie O'Donnell leaving "The View" in June

• O'Donnell, ABC show couldn't agree on contract

• O'Donnell has been controversial, ratings-grabbing addition

NEW YORK (AP) -- Rosie O'Donnell's stormy tenure on "The View" will be a short one. The opinionated host was unable to agree on a contract with ABC, and she'll leave the show in June.

"My needs for the future just didn't dovetail with what ABC was able to offer me," O'Donnell said in a statement Wednesday.

"This has been an amazing experience," she said, "and one I wouldn't have traded for the world."

O'Donnell has helped raise the ratings for the daytime chat show invented by Barbara Walters. But her outspokenness has caused almost constant controversy, including a nasty name-calling feud with Donald Trump that placed Walters squarely in the middle.

"I induced Rosie to come back to television on 'The View' even for just one year," Walters said. "She has given the program new vigor, new excitement and wonderful hours of television. I can only be grateful to her for this year."

Walters was frequently left to clean up the damage after O'Donnell. She did it most recently Monday, when O'Donnell was criticized for using bad language and attacking Rupert Murdoch from the dais of the annual New York Women in Communication awards luncheon.

"I would like to point out that Rosie's view is not always mine," Walters said. "I would like to say for the record that I am very fond of Rupert Murdoch."

In the Trump imbroglio, O'Donnell was reportedly mad that Walters did not come more swiftly to her defense, while Trump said Walters told him she didn't want O'Donnell on the show -- a claim Walters denied.

Statements by public figures are being watched more closely in the post-Don Imus era. The lobbying group Focus on the Family said it was preparing to contact advertisers on "The View" as part of a campaign against O'Donnell. The group is angry at O'Donnell for comments they feel were insulting to Catholics.

Despite controversy -- or maybe because of it -- O'Donnell was good business for ABC, owned by the Walt Disney Co. Ratings for "The View" during February sweeps were up 15 percent in key women demographics over the same time in 2006.

Bill Carroll, an expert in the syndication market for Katz Television, said he'd be surprised if ABC didn't try hard to keep O'Donnell, given the attention she brought to the long-running show.

The timing of the announcement doesn't particularly suit O'Donnell if she wants to remain in daytime television. She wouldn't be able to introduce a new program to the syndication market until September 2008, he said. But the company that produced O'Donnell's long-running daytime show has expressed interest in having her back, he said.

Copyright 2007 The Associated Press. All rights reserved.

Edited by k80cat

I agree that she's added some vigor to the program but as much as I'm a fan, it's probably a good time for her to step away from the show.

I still don't miss Meredith or whats-her-name who use to be there at all.

Vieira, Jones React To Rosie's Departure

Two former co-hosts from The View are responding to Rosie O'Donnell's stunning announcement that she is leaving the daytime gabfest in June.

Access Hollywood caught up with Meredith Vieira who said, "I actually was surprised. I heard rumblings in the past that she may not stay beyond the one year. The show has done so incredibly well and it's revitalized itself and she's put a lot of great energy into it."

While Vieira was being kind and complimentary, Star Jones Reynolds tried acting polite by saying, "I wish her the very best in what she is doing next as I do for all the ladies over there, and I know whatever they do next is going to be great."

So can The View survive without O'Donnell's presence? Vieira seems to think so. She tells the entertainment program, "I spent nine years there and the people in front of the cameras and behind-the-scenes are phenomenal at what they do and they will be fine."

StarMagazine

Rosie Getting Soft

Filed under: The View

Posted Image

Rosie O'Donnell has alerted the global media via website haiku that she will not longer be verbally backhanding Elisabeth Hasselbeck on "The View" because Hasselbeck's with child . First off, please stop with the haikus. It's not adorable, or whimsical or heartfelt. It's irritating, and makes me feel guy-premenstrual to have to adjust my eyes to reading goddamn stanzas. Secondly, why is she punishing people who watch "The View" by letting that empty-headed Jesus freak blab her tired nonsense just because her husband's dick works? What did they ever do to her? Poor "View" fans. Poor the rest of us, I still have to report on this mess.

After yesterday's show, in which she and Hasselbeck traded heated words on their favorite verbal battleground -- the war in Iraq -- Rosie decided to back down, especially with Elisabeth three months pregnant. Or, as she put it, in her free-verse style:

on the view

u have seen my last hasselbeck spat

2 day was it

no more - its done

there is a new life

there - inside

and in the end -

what else matters

Today, unavoidably, the discussion turned to President Bush and Iraq, and Rosie's restraint was evident -- she just changed the topic.

Elisabeth needs to have her baby IN Iraq and shut her face. And if Rosie keeps writing these shitty poems, she needs to accompany her.

Posted by: J. Harvey

http://socialitelife.com/2007/05/02/rosie_getting_soft.php

Rosie Likes Her "View" Better

Filed under: Rosie O'Donnell

Posted Image

Just because Rosie O'Donnell's off "The View" doesn't mean she'll be out of daytime talk for long. Her agent has been working on pitching a talk format, in which Rosie would act as a host, but have a guest host pop in on a weekly basis and much like "The View," the show would also feature a "hot topics" segment. Although Rosie is open to producing with smaller entertainment companies and would enjoy the independence granted her under their banner, the $40 million dollar payday she's looking for would most likely be found at a major studio. And, it looks like CBS and NBCU are very interested. Even ABC will probably hope to see if it can make a competitive offer in June. From Broadcasting and Cable:

Still, interest in O'Donnell remains high in Hollywood. As one executive puts it, "She may be a polarizing figure, but if we can just get 5%-10% of those who agree with her and a few of those who don't, we would have a hit."

Personally, I want to see her in a "Pardon the Interruption"-type show with Donald Trump. And lots of flying koosh balls and "American Gladiators"-style competitions between the two.

Posted by: Lisa Timmons

http://socialitelife.com/2007/05/08/rosie_...view_better.php

Rosie Likes Her "View" Better

Filed under: Rosie O'Donnell

Posted Image

Just because Rosie O'Donnell's off "The View" doesn't mean she'll be out of daytime talk for long. Her agent has been working on pitching a talk format, in which Rosie would act as a host, but have a guest host pop in on a weekly basis and much like "The View," the show would also feature a "hot topics" segment. Although Rosie is open to producing with smaller entertainment companies and would enjoy the independence granted her under their banner, the $40 million dollar payday she's looking for would most likely be found at a major studio. And, it looks like CBS and NBCU are very interested. Even ABC will probably hope to see if it can make a competitive offer in June. From Broadcasting and Cable:

Still, interest in O'Donnell remains high in Hollywood. As one executive puts it, "She may be a polarizing figure, but if we can just get 5%-10% of those who agree with her and a few of those who don't, we would have a hit."

Personally, I want to see her in a "Pardon the Interruption"-type show with Donald Trump. And lots of flying koosh balls and "American Gladiators"-style competitions between the two.

Posted by: Lisa Timmons

http://socialitelife.com/2007/05/08/rosie_...view_better.php

Just as an interesting aside, one of the morning radio shows I listen to here in LA had a "gossip" person on their show who indicated that Rosie was always in for one year. She took the View gig as a way to get her name back out there. She was shopping a show at some convention for industry types back in January.

Just as an interesting aside, one of the morning radio shows I listen to here in LA had a "gossip" person on their show who indicated that Rosie was always in for one year. She took the View gig as a way to get her name back out there. She was shopping a show at some convention for industry types back in January.

I have always thought she had a one year contract. I thought they hired her specifically so Star would quit when she heard the news (and it worked). They probably told Rosie they'd support her for a year and help her get her own show if she'd do it for them to get rid of Star.

I have always thought she had a one year contract. I thought they hired her specifically so Star would quit when she heard the news (and it worked). They probably told Rosie they'd support her for a year and help her get her own show if she'd do it for them to get rid of Star.

Interesting...I figured it was a one year deal...Only to see if they could handle Rosie. And then after a year they can renegotiate for a longer term deal. :huh:

Interesting...I figured it was a one year deal...Only to see if they could handle Rosie. And then after a year they can renegotiate for a longer term deal. :huh:

It could be that too, Bobby D. But they chose her so Star would quit. And I think you're right that they only gave her a one year contract to see if they could handle her. Their ratings skyrocketed. I don't think they banked on it being such a hit with her on it.

I think ABC made a mistake in not giving her the money she wants. She did make The View a hit...Either Rosie was on her way out to greener pastures, regardless, oOr Hasselbeck was under the bargaining table telling ABC not to go higher. ;)

All AP News

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Rosie, Elisabeth Wage Angry War of Words

Watching Rosie O'Donnell and Elisabeth Hasselbeck squabble on ABC's "The View" is nothing new, but Wednesday's dustup seemed particularly nasty with the co-hosts trading accusations and personal digs.

A political discussion over the war in Iraq became heated when an angry O'Donnell decried Hasselbeck for not standing up for her when media outlets suggested that she'd called U.S. troops "terrorists" during a previous debate.

"What you did was not defend me. ... I asked you if you believed what the Republican pundits were saying you said nothing, and that's cowardly," O'Donnell said.

Responded a stern Hasselbeck: "Do not call me a coward, because No. 1, I sit here every single day, open my heart and tell people what I believe."

O'Donnell and Hasselbeck were shown on a split screen as the argument progressed without commercial interruption.

"Do you believe that I think our troops are terrorists? And you would not even look me in the face, Elisabeth, and say, `No, Rosie,'" O'Donnell said.

Responded Hasselbeck: "Because you are an adult, and I am certainly not going to be the person for you to explain your thoughts. They're your thoughts! Defend your own insinuations!"

O'Donnell, who is leaving the ABC daytime talk show next month, said she wasn't going to fight anymore. "So for three weeks, you can say all the Republican crap you want."

Hasselbeck discussed the war of words in an interview with syndicated entertainment show "Extra" that was to air Wednesday evening.

"I honestly think, I believe that we are mature women who can resolve," she said. "I hope we can. I would hope that a disagreement or a heated debate wouldn't be the end of a relationship."

In a posting on her blog, O'Donnell wrote: "a split screen, new heights, or lows, depending on who u ask."

___

ABC is owned by The Walt Disney Co.

___

On the Net:

ABC:

http://www.abc.com

"Extra":

http://www.extratv.com