princess

Oprah Winfrey

Speaking as an American, I don't mind the occasional low-key celebrity endorsement of a politician. But I do think the way Oprah is featuring herself so prominently in sponsoring Obama is unusual and is a bad idea.

Since he's behind in the polls, maybe there was a decision by his campaign managers that he doesn't have much left to lose? Because a presidential candidate probably shouldn't appear to be an extension of or propped up by a celebrity, and that's how this comes across, to me, at least.

Actually, they're reporting that they're neck and neck. And Oprah on the campaign trail apparently scared the $%#$ out of Hillary. She dragged out her daughter who has been (up until now) noticeably absent.

I see Oprah's involvement as something new - at least at this level of public exposure. But hey, anything goes. This signals some sort of change and we all know we need change!

Well, as I've stated my dislike for Oprah elsewhere, this makes me ignore Obama more than I normally would.....Oh well. I'm an odd demographic not affected by her I guess :rolleyes:

Speaking as an American, I don't mind the occasional low-key celebrity endorsement of a politician. But I do think the way Oprah is featuring herself so prominently in sponsoring Obama is unusual and is a bad idea.

Since he's behind in the polls, maybe there was a decision by his campaign managers that he doesn't have much left to lose? Because a presidential candidate probably shouldn't appear to be an extension of or propped up by a celebrity, and that's how this comes across, to me, at least.

Actually, they're reporting that they're neck and neck. And Oprah on the campaign trail apparently scared the $%#$ out of Hillary. She dragged out her daughter who has been (up until now) noticeably absent.

I see Oprah's involvement as something new - at least at this level of public exposure. But hey, anything goes. This signals some sort of change and we all know we need change!

Thanks, MC. I hadn't kept up. Apparently they're neck-and-neck in Iowa, and he's second in New Hampshire and South Carolina. ??

December 11, 2007

Poll: Oprah could have negative effect on Obama

WASHINGTON (CNN) — Oprah Winfrey's campaign swing last weekend with Democrat Barack Obama was greeted with record-breaking crowds and an equal amount of speculation over how much impact the media mogul might have on the White House race.

After all, Oprah has sent several books to the top of the bestseller list. Why couldn’t that magic touch take a candidate to the top of the polls?

But a new survey out Monday night shows Winfrey's endorsement is unlikely to nudge Obama higher in the polls -– and could potentially hurt the Illinois senator.

According a New York Times/CBS News poll released Monday, only 1 percent of Democrats polled reported that Winfrey's endorsement would make them more likely to support Obama, while 14 percent said they would be less likely to vote for the candidate because of Winfrey's support.

Meanwhile, rival Hillary Clinton's biggest celebrity endorser — her husband Bill Clinton — is likely to have more of an impact. The poll suggests 44 percent of Democrats are more likely to support the New York senator because of her famous husband, while only 7 percent are less likely to do so.

In fact, the former president is such a campaign asset that according to the poll, roughly as many Democrats are supporting the New York senator because of her husband as are supporting her because of her experience. Twenty-six percent of Hillary Clinton's supporters name Bill Clinton as the top reason they are backing her, while 23 percent say her own experience is the biggest factor.

–CNN’s Alexander Mooney and Rebecca Sinderbrand

Poll: Clinton Loses Lead, Romney Out In Front

MANCHESTER, N.H. -- A new poll shows that while the frontrunner for the Republican nomination for president holds a comfortable lead in New Hampshire, the Democratic race has tightened dramatically.

According to the latest WMUR/CNN poll, Hillary Clinton's 20-point lead has vanished. She now has 31 percent support, with Barack Obama in a statistical tie at 30 percent. John Edwards is third with 16 percent, and Bill Richardson has slipped slightly to 7 percent.

The poll was conducted by the University of New Hampshire Survey Center over the weekend. Oprah Winfrey held a rally for Obama on Sunday, and it might have given him a bounce, analysts said.

Oprah Winfrey: 'I Don't Regret' Opening School

WEDNESDAY DECEMBER 12, 2007 11:15 AM EST

By Jed Dreben

Oprah Winfrey admits that she was "devastated" by the allegations of physical and sexual abuse at her Leadership Academy for Girls in South Africa. But looking back at the institution's tumultuous first year, Winfrey says "I don't regret" opening the school.

"From the very first half hour, after I was able to pull myself together, I knew that this too shall pass," Winfrey told PEOPLE at the premiere of The Great Debaters, a film she produced starring Denzel Washington. "Just work on it, focus on the girls, focus on the girls, focus on the girls. And the girls are now fine."

In September, a student went public with claims of abuse at the hands of school officials. In the subsequent investigation, a dorm matron was suspended and arrested. Winfrey, meanwhile, issued a public apology to the families of the students, saying, "I've disappointed you. I'm so sorry."

"I think that all crisis is there to teach you about your life," Winfrey said at the Tuesday night event in Los Angeles. The biggest lesson learned: "You have to be far more careful in choosing people to stand in the gap for you. You have to stay on it."

'I'm 53 ... not 23'

Now the students are off on summer break, but the talk-show host is already looking forward to the start of another academic year. "The school is going to be better because that happened," she said. "We're going to come back and have best year ever!"

Still, in the wake of the controversy, some chose to question Winfrey's credibility. Did the criticism sting? "Oh, my goodness. ... I'm 53, years old, not 23," she said. "By the time you're 53 years old, if you don't know who you are, if you're not grounded in your own truth, if you're not able to brush off what other people think or say about you, then you've had a pretty pathetic life."

(Pagesix.com)

Wedding Break During Film

NOBODY ever said working for Oprah Winfrey was easy. Final edits on the movie "The Great Debaters," which she produced, were so intense that editor Hughes Winborne ended up tying the knot right in the editing room - with the star and director, Denzel Washington, standing as his best man. "Hughes and Denzel were in such a frenzy to finish the movie that they locked themselves away in the editing room for weeks," an insider told us. "Hughes and his [unidentified] fiancée were married inside the actual room. A minister was brought in." Maybe they'll get a nice wedding gift from the boss.

Obama coming between Oprah and Stedman?

While Oprah Winfrey is all smiles as she stumps for presidential hopeful Barack Obama, the National Enquirer reports she isn’t smiling at home. And Obama is part of the problem. The magazine claims the media mogul and her partner of over 21 years, Stedman Graham, have sought counseling to cope with Stedman’s jealousy and Oprah’s less than loving feelings.

The power couple recently visited “a clergyman who has decades of experience dealing with deeply troubled long-term relationships,” an insider told the Enquirer. “Oprah and Stedman’s relationship had been on very shaky ground for a long time.”

Concerned that Oprah no longer finds him interesting, Stedman admitted he felt “very jealous of her relationship with Barack Obama. It seemed to him as though she was always pushing him away, posing with other powerful men and ignoring him.”

The spy claimed Oprah protested Stedman’s perception, and the couple bickered until the counselor calmed them down. In a tense moment, Oprah allegedly announced that she no longer loved Stedman.

With some simple advice, the counselor recommended that Oprah listen to Stedman’s worries. In short, she has to “give up being the top dog in the relationship,” or it’s over.

msnbc

Edited by QTPIE

Nothing For Stedman

Posted Image

Oprah has left Stedman out of her will! Damn, he better start secretly stashing away her crap, so he can sell it on eBay later if he needs some dough. The National Enquirer (via MSNBC) reports that Oprah's partner of 21-years is nowhere on the will. She reportedly gives most of her $2 billion fortune to charities and her children. Yeah, her children. A source said Oprah wants to adopt 3 girls and raise them alone.

The source said, “It’s something she has always wanted to do. There’s no talk of her adopting the children with Stedman — this is something she’s going to do by herself.”

Alone my ass. What about Ope's beloved Gayle King? I can see those two getting old together, running some school. That shit will be like The Children's Hour.

I believe it, because there's no way Oprah's going to go down like that. She will give half of it to the Oprah Is God Forever And Always Foundation and the other half to Gayle and her 200 dogs. Gayle deserves it. She's been sucking Oprah's ass long enough.

http://www.dlisted.com/

Oprah Winfrey Getting Her Own TV Network

Tuesday, January 15, 2008

By DAVID BAUDER, AP Television Writer

ADVERTISEMENTNEW YORK —

Oprah Winfrey is getting her own TV network.

Discovery Communications and Winfrey announced a deal Tuesday where the Discovery Health network will be turned over to Winfrey next year, becoming OWN _ the Oprah Winfrey Network.

The cash-free transaction involved Winfrey turning over her Web site to Discovery, while the communications company makes her chairman of the network, which is currently seen in 68 million homes, said David Zaslav, Discovery Communications chief.

"The focus of the channel will be the focus of Oprah's brand, which is the educate and inspire people to live the best life they can," Zaslav said.

Some of Winfrey's stable of regular contributors could be expected to be part of the programming, he said. Winfrey's current talk show, as well as rights to use of reruns, is spoken for until the end of the 2010-11 season.

Besides hosting syndication's top-rated talk show, Winfrey puts out her own magazine.

Copyright 2008 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

It's War!

Posted Image

Even with all that Iggy drama last year, Ellen Degeneres managed to score the top spot as America's favorite TV star. The annual poll was released yesterday and Ellen managed to push Oprah off her pedestal. Oprah has been #1 on the Harris Poll for the past five years. Here's how the rest of the list looks and my thoughts:

1. Ellen Degeneres - NO! Iggy hates her and so do I!

2. Oprah - Who?

3. Jay Leno - Ok!

4. Hugh Laurie from House - Eh

5. Jon Stewart - Ok!

6. David Letterman - Ok!

7. Stephen Colbert - A-Ok!

8. Bill O'Reilly - BARF ALERT

9. Ray Romano - Who?

10. Homer Simpson - Yes!

Bill O'Fucking Reilly?! He's about as likeable as puss-spewing anal growth. Martha Stewart is more likeable than him. You know as long as there's no Rachael Ray on this list then I'm OK. Oprah however is not going to like this. It's war Ellen! Oprah war.

Oprah's OWN Channel

Posted Image

Ellen Degeneres can keep the title of TV's favorite bitch, because Oprah has her own TV channel. Another one! Oprah has reached a deal with Discovery Communications to operate the OWN: The Oprah Winfrey Network. Discovery will give up its Discovery Health channel to OWN. The channel was started in 1999 has over 70 million subscribers.

Oprah will have complete control over OWN, but they are currently looking for a CEO. Please, you know she's going to give it to Gayle. Oprah said, "For me, the launch of 'The Oprah Winfrey Network' is the evolution of the work I've been doing on television all these years and a natural extension of my (syndicated daytime) show."

She went on to say, "I will soon control the world and your souls!" No, but she wanted to. What about the Oxygen Network? I know she's too good for them now, but that shit is good. Any network that produces "The Bad Girls Club" is fine by me.

The OWN channel is going to be so boring. It's going to be Oprah preaching to us 24-hours a day about how we need to listen to her ass and shit. She's right, but still. I don't want to hear it!

She just needs to run for leader of the universe and get it over with. Put us out of our misery.

Women Angry Over Oprah-Obama Campaign

Some Say Oprah is a "Traitor" for Endorsing Obama and not Clinton

By EMILY FRIEDMAN

Jan. 22, 2008

A month after Oprah hit the campaign trail with Democratic presidential candidate Barack Obama, the queen of day time talk is facing heat from her largely female fans who have traditionally agreed with just about anything she has done – from the books she reads to the weight loss plans she tries.

But Oprah's endorsement of Obama is different from the typical seals of approval the host offers on her show, and as early as November 2007 commenters on her site's message boards began unleashing criticism of her endorsement for the black candidate – Obama – rather than the female one – Hillary Clinton.

"I cannot believe that women all over this country are not up in arms over Oprah's backing of Obama," wrote austaz68 on Oprah.com, in a message thread titled "Oprah is a Traitor!!!" "For the first time in history we actually have a host at putting a woman in the white house and Oprah backs the black MAN. She's choosing her race over her gender – hypocrisy [sic] at it's finest!! Oprah – you should be ashamed of yourself!!!!!"

And almost two months later, some are still fuming – sparking a heated debate among Oprah's fiercest critics and now her supporters, anxious to defend the beloved host.

On Jan. 19, wendykwrit posted, "You know, for so long I've felt a connection to Oprah and all that she's done not only for women but the world in general. She was such an idol to me and I truly loved all that she stood for. Since she threw her support behind Barack Obama I felt like she let me down."

"I feel like I lost a friend who I thought identified with me and now I realize she's something she's not," added the poster. "I refuse to even watch the show anymore."

But for every critic of Oprah there seems to be a supporter. One poster called those angry with Oprah's endorsement "ignorant."

"Oprah is a traitor, you say. A traitor to whom?" asked Susanne01 on Jan. 20. "My answer would be a traitor to ignorant women who would blindly vote for Hillary because she is a woman. Grow up and get some education."

Back in November when the first criticisms arose, Oprah issued a statement herself, defending her decision to endorse a politician for the first time.

Story

THE NOTE: Dirty Dance"I thought long and hard before stepping up and out into this because it feels like I am stepping out of my pew and I know that no matter what you do, you're going to be criticized. So, I weighed it. What is the cost for me doing it? Am I going to lose viewers? I made the decision that I have the right to do it as an American citizen and I am doing this because I feel it is the right thing to do at this time," said Oprah in a statement provided to ABCNEWS.com.

A spokesperson added that the show's Web site is meant to be an "open forum" for viewers to share their opinions.

"I don't see any evidence of an Oprah effect," said Diana Owen, an associate professor of political science and the chair of the American studies department at Georgetown University. "We don't have any data [to show her endorsement has had an effect on voters]. The race is so up for grabs."

The first face-off between Obama and Clinton was in Iowa, and while he did succeed with female voters in the Iowa Caucuses – receiving 35 percent to Clinton's 30 percent – Owens adds there is no way to be sure Oprah's campaigning could take credit for the win.

Her effect is equally unclear in both New Hampshire where Clinton garnered 46 percent of the female vote to Obama's 34 and in Nevada where more than 50 percent of the females preferred Clinton, according to ABC News polls and analysis.

And as for Oprah's numbers in terms of ratings, Owens suspects that not much has changed.

"[Her endorsement] certainly doesn't seem to have diminished her popularity in terms of the show, it's still up there in the ratings," said Owens. "The backlash is probably a small percentage of her fans."

A call to Oprah's publicist for ratings information was not immediately returned.

Women's Org Reminds Voters to Stay on Point

Kim Gandy, president of the National Organization of Women, told ABCNEWS.com that she was familiar with the negative feedback Oprah had received following her endorsement, and isn't convinced the harsh criticism was merited.

A candidate's race or gender should not be a factor in an election – the issues they stand for and support should be, said Gandy.

"[The postings] are not a fair characterization of Oprah," said Gandy. "There are other reasons she chose Obama than his race – we all choose candidates because they embody our hopes for the future."

NOW has endorsed Clinton for president, but Gandy told ABCNEWS.com that in the past the organization has chosen male candidates over female candidates, resulting in an outcry similar to the one Oprah is facing.

"We got a lot of grief from women saying, 'How could you did this' and 'how could you endorse a man over a woman,'" said Gandy. "But we endorse the candidate that we think will be the strongest for women."

Had Obama been more outspoken on women's issues during his time in the Senate, said Gandy, NOW would have had no hesitation in endorsing him over Clinton.

Could Oprah's Obama Endorsement Backfire?

With Super Tuesday just around the corner, when 22 states hold primaries on Feb. 5, how women will vote will matter to each and every presidential candidate. It's unlikely, though, that Oprah's own political agenda will have much effect on the results, said Sid Milkis, a White Burkett Miller professor of politics at the University of Virginia.

"Traditionally celebrities haven't had that much impact on campaigns," said Milkis. "Obama doesn't need help getting large crowds either, he's a celebrity in his own right and if there's been any criticism of him it's been to do with his lack of experience [not his friendship with Oprah]."

In fact, rather than hurt the way females turn out to vote for Obama, Oprah's political agenda may only hurt her own franchise, says Milkis.

"Anyone who can make a best seller out of Anna Karenina has tremendous appeal," said Milkis. "This is the first time she's taken a political position and she needs to explain why she felt compelled.

"Sometimes when you go political like this it goes sour," added Milkis.

Roseanne Takes a Swing at Oprah, Obama

AOL

(Jan. 22) - Former sitcom star and prolific blogger Roseanne Barr laid bare her disdain for Oprah Winfrey and Barack Obama on her Web site over the weekend, calling the talk host's strict advocacy for Obama over Hillary Clinton "disgusting."

Barr lamented how Clinton has not been a guest on Winfrey's show since her endorsement of Obama in May, 2007. Clinton recently stopped by the "Tyra Banks Show," which left Barr "fumed."

"Maybe if Hilary (sic) was discussing her fat thighs Oprah would have had her on."

"Oprah COULD HAVE delivered her viewers an (sic) audience with the most powerful and successful woman in American politics since Eleanor Roosevelt, and the only democratic candidate who has a prayer of winning this election at the most crucial time there has ever been in this country."

Barr, who in earlier posts on the typo-ridden site offered up support to John Edwards, saved her biggest criticisms for Obama, whom she believes "slaps the faces of his supporters with his traitorous praise" of Ronald Reagan.

"This country's not going to elect a democrat who speaks well of Republicans and Reagan, like Barack Hussein Obama does. Wake Up! Diss-ing women's century-old fight for political representation of their voice makes me SICK!!!"

Oprah In Gold

Posted Image

Sculptor Daniel Edwards is responsible for the Britney Spears giving birth statue and the dead Paris Hilton one. He tackles Oprah for his latest work. He calls it "The Oprah Sarcophagus." He said that he is paying homage to the closest thing America has to a living deity. Great, jack her off more. That's just what she needs.

Actually, Gayle King is probably going to buy this shit. She's going to place it in her bedroom next to her Oprah "real doll."

February 3, 2008 -- THAT Oprah Winfrey is happy her pal Toni Morrison has backed her pick for president, Barack Obama, but not so happy her former friend Maya Angelou is backing Hillary Clinton. "Oprah is annoyed with Maya," a Winfrey spy said . . .

Page Six

Oprah Winfrey Opens Store

Talk show queen Oprah Winfrey has opened her first store in Chicago, Ill., packed with Oprah-branded products.

Fans of the media tycoon can snap up the star's favorite books, music, and clothes -- all with the Oprah label.

A statement from Winfrey's publicist claims the shop is a "specialty store full of merchandise that represents the style and taste Oprah celebrates and shares on 'The Oprah Winfrey Show.'"

Oprah Winfrey Opens Store

Talk show queen Oprah Winfrey has opened her first store in Chicago, Ill., packed with Oprah-branded products.

Fans of the media tycoon can snap up the star's favorite books, music, and clothes -- all with the Oprah label.

A statement from Winfrey's publicist claims the shop is a "specialty store full of merchandise that represents the style and taste Oprah celebrates and shares on 'The Oprah Winfrey Show.'"

nothing in the world could make me shop there... that woman has way too much money.. and has lost touch.. IMO

Free business book is Web sensation

NEW YORK (AP) — The Oprah touch doesn't just work for traditional books. More than 1 million copies of Suze Orman's "Women & Money" have been downloaded since the announcement last week on Winfrey's television show that the e-book edition would be available for free on her Web site, http://www.oprah.com.

"I believe `Women & Money' is the most important book I've ever written," Orman said in a statement released Saturday by Winfrey. "So this was not about getting people to buy the book, but getting them to read it, and that was the intention behind this offer."

According to Saturday's statement, more than 1.1 million copies of Orman's financial advice book were downloaded in English, and another 19,000 in Spanish. The demand compares to such free online sensations as "The 9-11 Commission Report," which the federal government made available for downloads, and Stephen King's e-novella, "Riding the Bullet."

The publishing community has endlessly debated the effects of making text available online, with some saying that free downloading is a valuable promotional tool and others worrying that sales for paper editions would be harmed. The Authors Guild and the Association of American Publishers each have sued Google for its plans to scan and index books for the Internet.

The offer for "Women & Money," originally released a year ago by Spiegel & Grau, a division of Random House, Inc., has not kept people from buying the traditional version. As of Saturday, the book ranked No. 6 on Amazon.com. The paper edition of "The 9-11 Commission Report," published in 2004 by W.W. Norton and Co., was a best seller for months.

"I can tell you that with respect to the `9-11 Report,' the free download did not seem to hurt sales at all," Norton publisher Drake McFeely told The Associated Press on Saturday. "There were people who wanted it quickly, in a less convenient form, and that was clearly a different market from the people who wanted the traditional book."

He said free downloading of books does concern publishers, but "if Norton had been given the opportunity for an Oprah Winfrey plug, and part of the deal was making the book free online, we would have gladly taken it."