MMM1

What are you reading?

I loved Cider House Rules--probably my 3rd favorite John Irving (I liked World According to Garp and Hotel New Hampshire better--I do tend to like his earlier stuff better than his later stuff) But the older I get, the more I realize--if I'm halfway through a book and I STILL don't like it, I give myself permission NOT to finish it. If I want to try again later, I can always do that.

Sorry, can't help you, hoya--I'd bring a ton, just in case.

I'm going on a cruise in March for my honeymoon - and my fiance said I'm not to bring ANY books. Little does he know that he's WRONG. lol.

But, I would bring a book or two of short stories, that way you can read one or two here and there. I'd bring one book of poetry, and then a few novels. But of course the number of novels depends on how difficult they are.

For my cruise, I will probably bring one long (say 800 pages) but easy to read novel, one fairly long short-story collection, and one book of poetry. I'm hoping that will give me a lot to read without a lot to pack.

I loved Cider House Rules--probably my 3rd favorite John Irving (I liked World According to Garp and Hotel New Hampshire better--I do tend to like his earlier stuff better than his later stuff) But the older I get, the more I realize--if I'm halfway through a book and I STILL don't like it, I give myself permission NOT to finish it. If I want to try again later, I can always do that.

Agreed - I'm not sure where we get the idea that it's not okay to drop a book - if I'm a third of the way in and I can't do it anymore, I don't.

The nice thing about vacations--I bring paperbacks and then leave them behind & use the space for souvenirs. On my honeymoon, we went to jamaica for a week--I know I brought at least 10 books.....My husband didn't complain--what else are we going to do on the beach all day? He understands my needs--there is a reason we were married, after all :D

I do have some quick romances, I ordered a non-fiction, some other fiction (including one that's short stories, I think--it's Wodehouse but it hasn't arrived yet) and I have a few Gore Vidal books--I LOVE his American history series, and they do take me longer than the average paperback to get through. I'll try to write up how I've done upon my return :P

Just to clarify--I know I'll have fun doing lots of things, but a main reason we're taking this cruise is to relax and drink wine on our balcony, so I do intend some reading as well as port visits and yoga class in the gym :D

Edited by Hoyaheel

Hoya - don't you need a chaperone? I am really good at it and fit easily into luggage :D

Sounds like you are going to have a wonderful time - ENJOY!!!

Edited by branchop

wow, so jealous re vacation with lounging and reading. lately my vacations seem to be almost (but not quite) more tiring than working - in part because I feel like there is so little time to travel and I want to take advantage of every moment. but I really would love an eleven-day festival of reading and wine and yoga (well, for me it would be Pilates) one of these days.... and with the cruise you don't have to worry about packing super light. I'm always limited to two books and then a stack of throw-away magazines when I travel.

The nice thing about vacations--I bring paperbacks and then leave them behind & use the space for souvenirs. On my honeymoon, we went to jamaica for a week--I know I brought at least 10 books.....My husband didn't complain--what else are we going to do on the beach all day? He understands my needs--there is a reason we were married, after all :D

That is such a nice idea!! I would be thrilled to find a book that someone has left behind. Unfortunately, I am too greedy when it comes to my books and I would feel separation anxiety if I ever left one behind.

As for my soon-to-be-husband's edict, I think he is more concerned that I enjoy everything the cruise has to offer. This will be my first cruise ever, so I really want to be sure to experience every last drop and not be the bookworm I know I can be - if I bring too many, I will read them all and not go on the expeditions and take part in all the fun activities.

I'm so excited for you, though! You'll have to let us know both how the cruise was and how your reading went!

Agreed - I'm not sure where we get the idea that it's not okay to drop a book

Elementary school, high school, college..... :unsure:

As a reader, I knew I just had to get through everything. I felt incredibly guilty if I didn't like what I was reading. Maturity is slowly changing that--I don't feel guilty anymore, about not finishing a book, or not being interested in trying out the book that "everyone" else just loves.

This morning I'm bummed because I didn't get to read much of Helen of Troy last night :( Had to spend "quality time" with my husband..... :D OK, that part was nice ;) The other thing that "maturity" is doing for me is allowing me to balance between spending all my free time reading and do other things that are important to add balance to my life--exercise, socializing, etc. Though every so often I want to be a selfish 15-yr-old and just lock myself in the bedroom and read in bed all day long :wub:

I was with you guys about dropping a book until I read The Corrections a few years ago. Since it was getting all this acclaim, I bore through those 700 pages of drivel. I did not like a single character, and hated the situations. The whole book came together in the last sentence, so much I wanted to read it again. So now, I really have a hard time not finishing something.......

I hate maturity. Now I have a really hard time sitting down with a book or a good TV show or movie if I have something else I "should" be doing. Especially if that something is cleaning my house, and I'm trying to read while inside my house.

I hate maturity. Now I have a really hard time sitting down with a book or a good TV show or movie if I have something else I "should" be doing. Especially if that something is cleaning my house, and I'm trying to read while inside my house.

LOL - I never have that problem. I will read over clean any day. I'm not the most domestic woman, at any rate, although I have a hard time reading when I should be grading or doing other teacher-type work.

I'm still trying to think if I ever need to clean instead of read...nah, not really... :rolleyes: Only unless I know my BF will complain if I've gone too long without doing one of my tasks (esp. because the jerk is always--always, no joke--on top of his :angry: ) B)

edited for the horrific grammar I just noticed

Edited by fykeylicious

I must not be that mature because I have no problem dropping a book if I am having a hard time getting through it. ;) I try to give it a fair shot though.

OK OK - you guys convinced me - I am dropping it

GOD the guilt I feel.....

OK its over! I feel like a weight has been lifted!!

Thanks guys!

I think some of you guys are also mystery fans...I have recently become obsessed with Ed McBain and his 87th precinct novels. I couldn't get into him a few years ago but all of a sudden I love him. He's amazing. And I had no idea he also wrote the screenplay for Hitchcock's "The Birds."

I'll be interested to know what you think of The Keep. I ordered it from Amazon but mistakenly got the audio book instead of the book book, so I have to wait until I can get it exchanged before I can start it. Boo.

Started reading Neil Jordan's Shade yesterday.

I'll be interested to know what you think of The Keep. I ordered it from Amazon but mistakenly got the audio book instead of the book book, so I have to wait until I can get it exchanged before I can start it. Boo.

Started reading Neil Jordan's Shade yesterday.

Oooh! Definitely let me know what you think of Shade. So far, The Keep is interesting, but I'm not very far in :)

I picked up a tote bag full of paperbacks for $5 at the library booksale on Saturday :D Well, one hard cover--Fanny, by Erica Jong. I love that book and want to have it in my collection--there's a fabulous 2-page thesaurus of 18th century sexual slang I vividly remember from the first time I read the book.

I got bored towards the middle of Helen of Troy, so I stopped for a moment and read a Kasey Michaels paperback and now am finishing up Killer Dreams, Iris Johansen's most recent adventure novel. When I finish that, I'll go back to Helen. She just got to Troy with Paris. If I'm bored now, I wonder how I'll feel once the war starts?? I've never enjoyed war novels....

Any recommendations for good trapped-on-plane-for-seven-hours books? Books that are really engaging right off the bat and keep the interest throughout? And are in paperback? My trip to NY with boyfriend and his daughters starts this Friday and we are flying Southwest and have TWO stopovers en route so it's going to be a loooooong day.

Finished Shade. Wow. I can't really objectively critique it because I was just swallowed by it. I don't know how else to describe it. Beautifully written, vibrant characters. I got really emotionally attached to all of them. Very moving. Plus kind of smoky and mysterious at the same time. Loved it and would highly recommend.

Finished Shade. Wow. I can't really objectively critique it because I was just swallowed by it. I don't know how else to describe it. Beautifully written, vibrant characters. I got really emotionally attached to all of them. Very moving. Plus kind of smoky and mysterious at the same time. Loved it and would highly recommend.

That is so true, that the book kinda swallows you. It's definitely a book that has a powerful impact. I'm so glad you liked it :lol: