Sign in to follow this  
BobbyD

Ryan Phillippe

Yup. I wonder if this is because of Reese as a mother or because of Reese as the celebrity, meaning her being tense or pretending to be tense around paps, which would cause her children to be nervous when they're out with her in public.

Actually, Ryan implied that in a recent interview, to the extent that they expected pap attention when out with their mother. It was a long interview (about "Stop Loss" mostly) and the only parts quoted in most publications were the bits when he talked about Reese. Go figure.

Ryan Phillippe: I Almost Enlisted in the Army

US WEEKLY

Ryan Phillippe almost enlisted in the U.S. Army during the first Gulf War.

"Out of high school, I didn't have a ton of options because my grades weren't the best and I didn't come from money," he explains in an interview with Entertainment Tonight.

"When I graduated, it was around the time of the first Gulf War and I did go and sit in a recruitment office and got the T-shirt and everything," the 33-year-old says. "The guy who went in with me ended up going over and serving in the first Gulf War, but I went to New York to be an actor instead."

Phillippe costars in Stop-Loss, a drama about the military's involuntary service extension clause that hits screens this Friday, with Abbie Cornish, with whom he's been linked.

He has two children – Ava, 8, and Deacon, 4 – with ex Reese Witherspoon.

Ryan Phillippe opens up about films, family, physique

By William Keck, USA TODAY

SANTA MONICA, Calif. — Even under a dark hoodie jacket and behind the tinted windows of his black Lexus, Ryan Phillippe attracts attention. The paparazzi have followed him from his L.A. home this afternoon to the Viceroy Hotel, where he is sipping a cocktail on the back patio.

"I've gotten to a point where I can rationalize not caring about it," says the very tired and slightly congested actor. After this interview, Phillippe, 33, is headed straight back home to climb in bed and catch up on the latest episode of Lost. But first he must contend with leading the cameramen back home once more.

CLIP: Watch a preview of 'Stop-Loss'

As annoying as it is — particularly when it frightens his 8-year-old daughter, Ava — Phillippe knows his problems are small in comparison with what others face. Acting in two war films alongside real American soldiers has provided a lesson in appreciation.

After a well-received 2006 performance in Clint Eastwood's World War II epic Flags of Our Fathers, Phillippe returns to combat again Friday in Stop-Loss, from writer/director Kimberly Peirce (Boys Don't Cry). He plays Sgt. Brandon King, a squad leader to fellow enlistees (Channing Tatum, Joseph Gordon-Levitt).

Growing up in New Castle, Del., Phillippe heard his share of war stories. Both his grandfathers fought in WWII, and his father and two uncles served in Vietnam. When Phillippe was 17, he considered following in their footsteps, taking it so far as sitting in a recruitment office with a high school buddy.

"I didn't have the best grades, and I don't come from money," he explains, "so it was a potential option."

While the friend ended up serving one tour in Iraq during the first Gulf War, Phillippe headed to New York to try his luck at acting. He has faced war twice on screen but is careful to differentiate that "we as actors will never even pretend to know what it is like to be a soldier in a combat zone."

In the film, Phillippe's character completes his second tour in Iraq and returns to the States before learning the military is sending him back once more. Furious over what he sees as an injustice, he goes AWOL, with the help of Tatum's character's girlfriend, Michelle (Abbie Cornish).

Phillippe bonded with the guys. "If we were in the trenches (for real), he would definitely be our squad leader. He's more of a man than us. He's a dad and a natural-born leader," says Gordon-Levitt, 27. And, says Tatum, also 27: "I learned more about preparing for a film from him than I ever have from anybody I've worked with."

But it is Cornish who is of most curiosity — and the primary incentive for Phillippe's pursuers. There was talk of real romance blossoming with Cornish, 25, during the shoot, coinciding with the collapse of his eight-year marriage to actress Reese Witherspoon.

Asked point-blank whether they are a couple, Phillippe is polite if not revealing. "There's no good to come of making any definitive statement about your personal life in that regard," he says. "It's just something I would really rather not address. It has to be a 'no comment.' "

Still, it is obvious he likes the blond Aussie. Calling her a "cool chick," Phillippe says Cornish grew up "on a farm. She's kind of a tomboy, so she was like one of the guys a lot of the time."

And it's not hard to see what women like about him. Even his director was impressed by his assets. After instructing him to get in tip-top shape, Phillippe showed up on set and took off his shirt. "He just shows me his chest and says, 'Are you happy?' " Peirce recalls. "And I said, 'Yeah. That's pretty good.' I love him for his talent and mind, but I don't mind him for his fantastic physique."

Phillippe and Cornish were to have reunited on another film, Last Battle Dreamer, but Phillippe says that is now off, a casualty of the recently wrapped Writers' Guild strike.

Phillippe has spoken about the emotional toll his divorce took on him. During that time, he leaned on his own personal brotherhood, which includes three close male friends he has had since age 19. One of them is actor Breckin Meyer, another works as Phillippe's assistant. "They got me through the tougher times," he says. "I've definitely spent periods of time in a very limited state of mind based on whatever I was going through in my life. At this point in time I feel in a pretty good place."

He avoids magazines featuring photos of Witherspoon with her new love, actor Jake Gyllenhaal. "It's bizarre," he says. "There's plenty of times when I say, 'What a strange situation I've found myself in.' But at a certain point you know it's going to happen, so you are prepared in some fashion."

Focusing on his children with Witherspoon (Ava and son Deacon, 4) helped. During the shoot, he brought them to Texas, where he was staying in a lake house outside Austin. Peirce remembers them on set. "They are literally the spitting image of him," she says. "He's so concerned about them. And I think the fact that he's a great father shows through in his performance, because he ends up being a father to the guys."

While in London shooting his next role as a masked martial artist in the futuristic film Franklyn, he spoke with his kids via computer webcam. "It's difficult, but at least it's something," he says. "When they can see you, there's a more visceral reaction."

He is fiercely protective when it comes to shielding his kids from the paparazzi and violent television shows and toys.

"My mother never really let me play with guns — which I hated," he says. "But I could understand her logic. Because my mom's family fought in wars, she didn't like the idea of that being made into some sort of play ritual. But little boys will make a gun out of anything."

Deacon, for instance, does battle with his daddy's sunglasses. "It's just in their nature," he says.

At the moment, Deacon's fascination extends to trucks, machinery, Power Rangers, Transformers and electronics, while Ava is all about all things Hannah Montana. Dad worked his magic to get Ava tickets to the Miley Cyrus concert, and just last week after a long day of press duties, he made the kids dinner before curling up with them in bed and watching Nancy Drew.

"I love those moments," he says. "All the other guys in the movie went out to hit the bars, but my night was just what I wanted. It was perfect."

And what of some day adding a wife to the mix?

"I can see doing it again, yeah," he says. "And I can certainly see possibly having children again. I'm pretty young, and there are many beautiful things about that idea of marriage and family. It just doesn't always work out perfect for everybody. But I've done all I'm going to do in terms of talking about that part. It's fair to her and fair to myself to move on."

http://www.laineygossip.com/Abbie_Cornish_..._Phillippe.aspx

Mazel Tov. Ryan might become a father for the third time courtesy of gf Abbie Cornish who's rumored to be pregnant.

I guess this puts a dent to Reese/Jake's epic love story on this week's cover of US Weekly (must have been a sloooow week).

Good luck to Ryan and Abbie - I kind of like both of them.

I can't believe they are still pimping this Reese and Jake fiasco. Hellooo PR morons, it FAILED. Move on please.

http://www.laineygossip.com/Abbie_Cornish_..._Phillippe.aspx

Mazel Tov. Ryan might become a father for the third time courtesy of gf Abbie Cornish who's rumored to be pregnant.

I guess this puts a dent to Reese/Jake's epic love story on this week's cover of US Weekly (must have been a sloooow week).

Good luck to Ryan and Abbie - I kind of like both of them.

I can't believe they are still pimping this Reese and Jake fiasco. Hellooo PR morons, it FAILED. Move on please.

I agree with you on Ryan and Abbie--and notice how he's not pimping their relationship all over the place. He just answers "no comment." By the way, "Stop-Loss" is getting VERY good buzz. Rolling Stone loved it. I think I'm going to check it out this weekend.

And isn't it interesting that the Reese/Jake love story cover on US Weekly (the headlines are funny: his family wants a wedding and they have lovenests-- :rolleyes:) coincides with the opening of Ryan and Abbie's film? No, that has to be coincidental, right? :wacko:

I agree with you on Ryan and Abbie--and notice how he's not pimping their relationship all over the place. He just answers "no comment." By the way, "Stop-Loss" is getting VERY good buzz. Rolling Stone loved it. I think I'm going to check it out this weekend.

And isn't it interesting that the Reese/Jake love story cover on US Weekly (the headlines are funny: his family wants a wedding and they have lovenests-- :rolleyes:) coincides with the opening of Ryan and Abbie's film? No, that has to be coincidental, right? :wacko:

I've heard good things about Stop-Loss for quite a while. I also heard that Reese's peeps put on the pressure to make sure Ryan's Iraq War movie wouldn't compete with her own Iraq War Movie. I peevishly hope that his does better than hers. I'm probably going to see it this weekend too. Maybe sooner.

I think the US Weekly cover sucks the big one, and by that I don't mean.... I'm trying to think of someone with a huge dick but I can't. Oh well. Anyway, I don't think that it's any coincidence. It's like Jen and Brad all over again - only Jen and Brad were better at this shit than Reese and Ryan will ever be. Ryan doesn't even seem like he's playing. ;) If his Iraq movie outstrips hers - I think her head will explode. Put THAT on the cover of US Weekly and I'll buy the fucking thing.

Ted has seemed to imply in the past that Ryan is bi. Anyone else know if this is on track? He never struck me as totally hetero...

Ryan was on Howard Stern last week and I was ready to hate him. He came off as being a very real and likeable guy. I really hope this movie does well and launches him to the next level so he is not just known as Reese's ex.

Ted has seemed to imply in the past that Ryan is bi. Anyone else know if this is on track? He never struck me as totally hetero...

Ted, as always, is right on track. I've heard these stories for years.

Thanks.

Not that I give a rat's ass. He still seems like a relatively (relative to Reese, that is) fine person and a devoted parent and I wish him the best of luck.

If he's happy with Abbie, then good for them. I just hope that he leads his life as he sees fit and they aren't just using each other bc. he thinks he needs to hide his sexual orientation.

I like Reese as he's very likeable when he's on talk shows and I have no doubt he's a great dad. I've just never cared for his acting. :)

I've heard good things about Stop-Loss for quite a while. I also heard that Reese's peeps put on the pressure to make sure Ryan's Iraq War movie wouldn't compete with her own Iraq War Movie. I peevishly hope that his does better than hers. I'm probably going to see it this weekend too. Maybe sooner.

I think the US Weekly cover sucks the big one, and by that I don't mean.... I'm trying to think of someone with a huge dick but I can't. Oh well. Anyway, I don't think that it's any coincidence. It's like Jen and Brad all over again - only Jen and Brad were better at this shit than Reese and Ryan will ever be. Ryan doesn't even seem like he's playing. ;) If his Iraq movie outstrips hers - I think her head will explode. Put THAT on the cover of US Weekly and I'll buy the fucking thing.

You know something? I think it might do well--certainly better than "Rendition" (my heart still breaks over the $10 I paid for that movie). It is getting some really nice reviews; plus, I think it's a story that will better resonate with American moviegoers, certainly young men, ages 18 to 30, than a film about torturing suspected terrorists offsite (not that I didn't think "Rendition" didn't have a worthy premise but the script and execution left a lot to be desired).

But this film looks good and as a straight woman, some nice male eye candy for me to look at.

I also really like Joseph Gordon-Levitt. What a treat to see him in there too.

Jen/Brad is a good comparison. The cover reminds me of those funny Vince/Jen are madly in love and getting married next week US Weekly cover stories. And then the next week, there would be Angie and Brad's love nest and so on.

But you're right. I don't think Ryan wants to be part of this one bit. Remember that idiotic story that Reese's people leaked last year to Page Six about how Reese and Ryan were secretly dating and talking about reconciliation (spurring talk of a Reese/Ryan/Jake triangle). No sooner did that "story" hit Page Six, did Ryan's people immediately deny it and say it was false. But nada from Reese.

If she is so over Ryan, why these games? He doesn't want to play and doesn't care.

Edited by Crackerjack123

I've just never cared for his acting. smile.gif

Acting? I've never paid attention to him except when he takes off his shirt : )

I think with Reese it is all about control. She wants to be the one to have the last word on her relationship with Ryan. He's just not playing.

I think with Reese it is all about control. She wants to be the one to have the last word on her relationship with Ryan. He's just not playing.

Yep. I agree with your assessment of both of them and I kinda dig that "I'm not playing" thing from him. ;)

I think we can also expect Jake & Reese cuddle pictures this week end!

Absolutely, I have no doubts that Princess Reese will try to steal Ryan's thunder by being seen out with her beard, possibly even with the kids all cutesy and other stuff that makes me puke -_-

What the heck is wrong with Gyllenhaal? He doesn't realize she's staging this type of crap or calling in photogs for photo ops or is he in on it too?

I'm sorry but he could do the nasty with Reese in front of the Ivy as 100 photographers take photos and I (and many others) will still think he's gay and closeted. At this point, he seems more pathetic than her.

What the heck is wrong with Gyllenhaal? He doesn't realize she's staging this type of crap or calling in photogs for photo ops or is he in on it too?

I'm sorry but he could do the nasty with Reese in front of the Ivy as 100 photographers take photos and I (and many others) will still think he's gay and closeted. At this point, he seems more pathetic than her.

Jake, Jake, Jake... I still love that guy so much but I just can't figure out what's the deal for him in the long run. He's not a fool, comes from a HW family, knows how the business works, is certainly aware of how this whole "coupling" makes him look... Right now I think this is a professional deal - both with CAA, she having the upper hand (right now) and calling the shots, he being offered a way out of the "gay rumors" he couldn't refuse.. And now he's caught like a rat and has to dance to a song he finds extremely unpleasant.

Am I sounding like a semi-superfan? ;) :D

Edited by Shani77

I like Reese as he's very likeable when he's on talk shows and I have no doubt he's a great dad. I've just never cared for his acting. :)

I think Reese would be just happy to know one person liked him right now. :wub:

Couldn't resist, sorry. ;)

Of course he's in on it. The man's not in a coma and he knows exactly what he's doing. He goes to meetings about it. Everything is planned, down to the last detail.

Amen.

Ryan was on Howard Stern last week and I was ready to hate him. He came off as being a very real and likeable guy. I really hope this movie does well and launches him to the next level so he is not just known as Reese's ex.

Me too! Just proves how great of an interviewer that Stern is that he made Ryan interesting. :D No, seriously, he seemed cool, and had a great sense of humor.

OK, Lainey posted this yesterday:

Is Abbie Cornish knocked up? How fertile is this man??? And how do you think the others feel if Abbie gets to have it?

Which makes me think there was a blind item about a guy making his "women" (not girlfriends, really) get abortions. But I can't find it in the forum here. Anyone know which one I'm talking about, or is my memory playing tricks on me?? Lainey totally hates Ryan, and I know she has done quite a few not-so-veiled items about him. Plus come right out and talked about all the strippers he's slept with in Vancouver, so......

Abbie Cornish:Ryan Phillippe's"Very Loving"

Thursday March 27, 2008

Us Weekly

Aussie actress Abbie Cornish had no problem fitting in with the mostly male cast of her new war drama Stop-Loss.

“These are beautiful guys,” she recently told Details of rumored on-again fling Ryan Phillippe, Channing Tatum and Joseph Gordon-Levitt.

“They’re very loving, very caring, like brothers," she added. "They would come up and ruffle my hair and give me big hugs and say ‘You all right?’”

In a recent chat with Howard Stern, Phillippe did not deny dating Cornish at the time of his 2006 split from Reese Witherspoon. He declined to comment on his love life in a new interview with USA Today.

She, too, remained mum about their romance.

She said she didn't like when photographers took her picture with Phillippe's children, Ava and Deacon.

“It’s difficult, because you’re just taking a kid into a store,” she said. “The bottom line is that you’re just living.”