Sign in to follow this  
BobbyD

Ryan Phillippe

I like Reese as he's very likeable when he's on talk shows and I have no doubt he's a great dad. I've just never cared for his acting. :)

I think Reese would be just happy to know one person liked him right now. :wub:

Couldn't resist, sorry. ;)

Well thank God Freckles understood me. ;) :D :D :D

OK, Lainey posted this yesterday:

Is Abbie Cornish knocked up? How fertile is this man??? And how do you think the others feel if Abbie gets to have it?

Which makes me think there was a blind item about a guy making his "women" (not girlfriends, really) get abortions. But I can't find it in the forum here. Anyone know which one I'm talking about, or is my memory playing tricks on me?? Lainey totally hates Ryan, and I know she has done quite a few not-so-veiled items about him. Plus come right out and talked about all the strippers he's slept with in Vancouver, so......

I dunno, I don't think it's necessarily about making women get abortions else she'd have gunned for him over that at the time. I read it just as a statement that he's had so many women it's a miracle none of them got pregnant by him. But like any gossip columnist, you have to question how much is fact-driven and how much is just hearsay.

[ But like any gossip columnist, you have to question how much is fact-driven and how much is just hearsay.

Lainey HATES Ryan Philippe with a passion. So whether or not the abortion BI is true (I did find it and took this discussion there in the Blind Items forum) I am almost positive she intended it to be Ryan.

(Pagesix.com)

Quit Hounding

RYAN Phillippe's "Stop-Loss" co-star, Abbie Cornish , may have broken up his marriage, but she's still protective of his kids. She "tears up" during an interview in the latest Details magazine when asked about being hounded by the paparazzi, especially when she's out with Ava and Deacon, Phillippe's children with Reese Witherspoon. "It's difficult, because you're just taking a kid into a store," she says. "The bottom line is that you're just living."

‘21’ hits box-office jackpot with $23.7 million

‘Horton Hears a Who!’ becomes first movie of 2008 to surpass $100 million

msnbc.com

LOS ANGELES - Movie-goers laid their money down on “21,” a gambling romp that was the weekend’s box-office high roller with a $23.7 million debut, according to studio estimates Sunday.

Starring Kevin Spacey, Kate Bosworth and Jim Sturgess as math geniuses who make a killing at Vegas’ blackjack tables, Sony’s “21” bumped off “Dr. Seuss’ Horton Hears a Who!”, which had been No. 1 the previous two weekends.

“Horton Hears a Who,” distributed by 20th Century Fox, slipped to second place with $17.4 million, raising its total to $117.3 million. It is the first movie this year to pass the $100 million mark.

Despite solid holdover crowds for “Horton,” overall business continued to dip. The top 12 movies took in $90 million, down 23 percent from the same weekend last year, when “Blades of Glory” was No. 1 with $33 million.

Hollywood started 2008 with a strong uptick in January, but revenues have trailed off steadily since. Movie admissions had been up as much as 10 percent in early February but now are 2.6 percent behind 2007’s, according to box-office tracker Media By Numbers.

By this time last year, Hollywood already had churned out a blockbuster with “300,” which eventually topped $200 million, and other hits that included “Wild Hogs” and “Meet the Robinsons.”

“Last year was very, very strong at this point. It’s made comparisons very tough,” said Paul Dergarabedian, president of Media By Numbers. “We’re not that far into the year, so every down weekend has a huge impact on the bottom line.”

Box office results

Estimated ticket sales for March 28-30

1. “21,” $23.7 million.

2. “Dr. Seuss’ Horton Hears a Who!”, $17.4 million.

3. “Superhero Movie,” $9.5 million.

4. “Tyler Perry’s Meet the Browns,” $7.8 million.

5. “Drillbit Taylor,” $5.8 million.

6. “Shutter,” $5.3 million.

7. “10,000 B.C.”, $4.9 million.

8. “Stop-Loss,” $4.5 million.

9. “College Road Trip,” $3.5 million.

10. “The Bank Job,” $2.8 million.

This weekend’s other new movies had so-so openings. Debuting at No. 3 with $9.5 million was the MGM-Weinstein Co. release “Superhero Movie,” a spoof of one of Hollywood’s favorite action genres.

Paramount’s “Stop-Loss,” starring Ryan Phillippe as an Iraq War veteran sent back against his wishes for another tour of duty, opened at No. 8 with $4.5 million. :blink:

Former “Friends” co-star David Schwimmer’s directing debut, the comedy “Run, Fat Boy, Run,” was a dud, taking in $2.4 million to finish out of the top 10. Released by Picturehouse, the movie stars Simon Pegg as an out-of-shape slacker running a marathon to impress his former fiance, played by Thandie Newton.

The audience for “21” was split almost evenly between men and women and those older and younger than 25, according to Sony.

“One of the coolest things is it really did play to everyone. It got male, female, young, old,” said Rory Bruer, Sony’s head of distribution.

© 2008 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

'21' cashes in at box office

Sony film hits jackpot with $23.7 million

By PAMELA MCCLINTOCK

Sony’s gambling drama “21” beat the house at the weekend box office, winning a respectable $23.7 million from 2,648 runs and coming in No. 1. The per location average was $8,950.

Pic, with a cast including Jim Sturgess, Kevin Spacey and Kate Bosworth, marks director Robert Luketic’s biggest opening, and his first drama. He previously directed laffers including “Legally Blond” and “Monster-in-Law.”

Twentieth Century Fox holdover “Dr. Seuss’ Horton Hears a Who!” continued to draw an enviable hand in its third frame, coming in a strong No. 2. Toon declined 29% to an estimated $17.4 million from 3,826 runs for a cume of $117.2 million, marking the first film of 2008 to jump the $100 million mark at the domestic B.O.

After “21,” other new offerings weren’t so fortunate in their betting. MGM and Dimension Films’ spoof “Superhero Movie” came in well below expectations with an estimated gross of $9.5 million from 2,960 runs, placing No. 3 for the frame, according to Rentrak.

Paramount’s “Stop-Loss” became the latest Iraqi war film to be largely rejected by auds, managing to only place No. 8 in its bow, grossing an estimated $4.5 million from 1,291 runs. Film was directed by Kimberly Peirce in her first directing effort since “Boys Don’t Cry.”

On the specialized side, the Weinstein Co. and Fox Searchlight’s America Ferrera starrer “Under the Same Name” declined 19% from the pervious weekend as it added 124 screens in markets where the Spanish-language film was already playing. Film grossed an estimated $3.2 million from 390 runs for a per screen average of $5,771--the second best per location average after “21” among the top 20 films.

Overall, the frame was down more than 17% from the same frame last year, when Paramount/DreamWorks’ Will Ferrell laffer “Blades of Glory” led with a $33 million opening. The B.O. downturn is slowly eroding the film industry’s year-to-date revenue gains. As of Sunday, revenues were running 0.64% ahead of the same period in 2007.

Weekend saw varying results among holdovers.

Lionsgate’s “Tyler Perry’s Meet the Browns,” placing No. 4, declined 61% in its second sesh to an estimated $7.8 million from 2,016 runs for a cume of $32.8 million in its first 10 days.

Par’s Owen Wilson laffer “Drillbit Taylor” declined 44% in its second sesh to place No. 5 for the frame, grossing an estimated $5.8 million from 3,061 locations for a cume of $20.6 million.

Placing No. 6 was Fox and New Regency’s “Shutter,” which declined 49% in its second weekend to an estimated $5.3 million from 2,756 runs for a cume of $19.1 million.

Warner Bros.’ “10,000 BC” declined 45% in its fourth weekend to place No. 7 for the weekend, grossing an estimated $4.9 million from 3,055 runs for a cume of $84.9 million.

Disney’s “College Road Trip’ came in No. 9 in its fourth frame, declining 25% to an estimated $3.5 million from 2,270 locations for a cume of $38.4 million.

Lionsgate’s smart thriller “The Bank Job” continued to please, declining 33% to an estimated $2.8 million from 1,605 runs for a cume of $24.1 million in its fourth frame. Film came in No. 10.

Kate Bosworth Beats Ryan Phillippe at Box Office

Us Weekly

Kate Bosworth won the weekend box office war.

Her gambling drama 21 took the top spot, earning $23.7 million.

Despite heavy press, Ryan Phillippe couldn't save his Iraq war drama Stop-Loss: It tanked, at No. 8, with just $4.5 million.

It joins a long string of Iraq-themed movies, including Charlize Theron's In the Valley of Elah, that have bombed.

The complete top 5:

1. 21, $23.7 million.

2. Dr. Seuss' Horton Hears a Who!, $17.4 million

3. Superhero Movie, $9.5 million

4. Tyler Perry's Meet the Browns, $7.8 million

5. Drillbit Taylor, $5.8 million

It's a shame Stop Loss wasn't seen by more people because it was a good movie. Great performances all around and not heavy handed or one-sided IMO. The main character was in a bad situation and basically had two choices neither one very good. He made the choice that a person with his background would most likely make. I really liked it.

It's a shame Stop Loss wasn't seen by more people because it was a good movie. Great performances all around and not heavy handed or one-sided IMO. The main character was in a bad situation and basically had two choices neither one very good. He made the choice that a person with his background would most likely make. I really liked it.

The film is heartbreaking, particularly the end. The cast is excellent, especially Ryan.

It's a shame audiences do not want to see films that deal realistically with the psychological effects of the Iraq war on U.S. soldiers. I just don't get it.

Edited by Crackerjack123

The film is heartbreaking, particularly the end. The cast is excellent, especiallyl Ryan.

It's a shame audiences do not want to see films that deal realistically with the psychological effects of the Iraq war on U.S. soldiers. I just don't get it.

I think it's way too soon....Like the 9/11 flicks. Eventually movies will be made about these subjects in the future, why not wait until some final resolution with the Iraq War? :huh:

I agree that Stop Loss was a good film. I am impressed that Ryan chooses some really good films. Flags of Our Fathers, Gosford Park (loved it).

I like escapist entertainment. That's why I read romances and romantic comedies are my preferred movie genre. Which isn't to say I don't watch anything else, but I can all too easily understand why people don't want to watch realistic war movies.....I work with veterans on a daily basis--I don't always want to think about it when I leave my job.......

The film is heartbreaking, particularly the end. The cast is excellent, especially Ryan.

The country's been "tuning out" on the Iraq war for a while now. You know, we've got Iraq Fatigue and all. :rolleyes: Americans don't even want to deal with the real thing, let alone be reminded of this huge disaster when they go to the movies.

It may take a while before we can deal with it, then someone will make another Iraq movie and it will be a huge hit. Thinking back, it took a long while before Hollywood could successfully make realistic movies about the Vietnam war. M*A*S*H came out in 1970 and was about Vietnam but they had to disguise it as Korea. The first one I remember gaining any popularity with the public was Coming Home and that wasn't until 1978. The Green Berets came out in 1968, but that was a John Wayne rah-rah Rambo type of fantasy flick.

Phillippe continues to turn in solid performances in respectable movies for grownups. He's doing exactly what he should be doing, imo, if he wants a post-toyboy career with any staying power.

Jay Leno Criticized for Remarks to Ryan Phillippe

People

By Stephen M. Silverman

Jay Leno's nice-guy reputation is taking a beating from the gay community and others after NBC's Tonight Show host made some recent on-air remarks deemed highly inappropriate.

Apparently attempting to become playful during his interview with guest Ryan Phillippe (whose appearance was keyed to his new movie Stop-Loss), Leno, 57, said to the actor, "Can you give me, like – say that camera is your gay lover ..."

Despite Phillippe's instant discomfort, Leno went on to say, "Can you give me your 'gayest look'? Say that camera is Billy Bob – Billy Bob has just ridden in shirtless from Wyoming."

"Wow," replied Phillippe, 33. "That is so something I don't want to do. Are you just going to embarrass me tonight, or ... ?"

"No," said Leno. "I got more stuff. This is the least of it."

Among those in the home audience who quickly took offense, reports USA Today, was Tony-winning Avenue Q librettist Jeff Whitty, 36.

On his personal blog, Whitty flashes Leno what he considers his "gayest look" – which involves a well-known gesture with his middle finger. Whitty also asks, "Would you ask a guest to make their 'blackest face?' Their 'Jewiest face?' "

Following suit, others have posted their "gayest looks" for Leno – also involving the same gesture – at the newly created Web site, My Gayest Look.

Leno and his reps have not responded to requests for comment.

Jay Leno Criticized for Remarks to Ryan Phillippe

People

By Stephen M. Silverman

Jay Leno's nice-guy reputation is taking a beating from the gay community and others after NBC's Tonight Show host made some recent on-air remarks deemed highly inappropriate.

Apparently attempting to become playful during his interview with guest Ryan Phillippe (whose appearance was keyed to his new movie Stop-Loss), Leno, 57, said to the actor, "Can you give me, like – say that camera is your gay lover ..."

Despite Phillippe's instant discomfort, Leno went on to say, "Can you give me your 'gayest look'? Say that camera is Billy Bob – Billy Bob has just ridden in shirtless from Wyoming."

"Wow," replied Phillippe, 33. "That is so something I don't want to do. Are you just going to embarrass me tonight, or ... ?"

"No," said Leno. "I got more stuff. This is the least of it."

Among those in the home audience who quickly took offense, reports USA Today, was Tony-winning Avenue Q librettist Jeff Whitty, 36.

On his personal blog, Whitty flashes Leno what he considers his "gayest look" – which involves a well-known gesture with his middle finger. Whitty also asks, "Would you ask a guest to make their 'blackest face?' Their 'Jewiest face?' "

Following suit, others have posted their "gayest looks" for Leno – also involving the same gesture – at the newly created Web site, My Gayest Look.

Leno and his reps have not responded to requests for comment.

Leno's an assh---. He probably heard how good Stern's interview was, realized he couldn't do better, and decided to just be a jerk.

Hi...

I don't really comment too much any more on Chit Chat, but I had to say something about Jay Leno. I used to watch his program especially if Keanu came on because they seem to have good interviews. Back in 2006 I could no longer tolerate Jay Leno's "humor" because it was so degrading to a lot of people and just in poor taste. I no longer watch it and I think Jay's supposed comical monologues are not to be borne.....they are cruel and go over the bounds of good taste and decency. I also can't abide Conan O'Brien's supposed humor. David Letterman is so so and I will watch him depending on what he is talking about. But if he starts to get really offensive, I turn it off. So far Craig Ferguson has not offended me but I give him another year and then he will be in the same place the others.....looking for humor and out of gas. Just wanted to put my two cents in. Thanks for listening. Araxie

Jay Leno Apologizes for Remarks to Ryan Phillippe

People

By Elaine Aradillas and Mike Fleeman

Jay Leno apologized Tuesday for on-air remarks he made during a chat with Ryan Phillippe that were then criticized by gay activists and others.

"In talking about Ryan's first role, I realize that what I said came out wrong," the host of NBC's Tonight Show said in a statement to PEOPLE. "I certainly didn't mean any malice. I agree it was a dumb thing to say, and I apologize."

Last week, while talking with Phillippe (whose appearance was keyed to his new movie Stop-Loss), Leno, 57, said to the actor, "Can you give me, like – say that camera is your gay lover ..." (Phillippe's first role was as a gay character on a soap opera).

Leno then went on to say, "Can you give me your 'gayest look?' "

"Wow," replied Phillippe, 33. "That is so something I don't want to do."

On Tuesday, the gay rights group GLAAD condemned the remarks.

"We are proud of Ryan for refusing to participate in Leno's thoughtless attempt at humor," said GLAAD President Neil G. Giuliano. "Under the guise of comedy, the talk-show host is demonstrating a lack of respect for the gay community and insensitivity to both his co-workers and the audience, to whom he owes an apology."

People

Jay Leno apologized Tuesday for on-air remarks he made during a chat with Ryan Phillippe that were then criticized by gay activists and others.

"In talking about Ryan's first role, I realize that what I said came out wrong," the host of NBC's Tonight Show said in a statement to PEOPLE. "I certainly didn't mean any malice. I agree it was a dumb thing to say, and I apologize."

Good. It was a stupid thing to do/say and he did need to apologize for it. How would he like it if someone came on the show and openly challenged him to give the camera his best S&M look? :o

That being said, on the few occasions I've had to deal with him - he's been incredibly professional and actually very nice.

People

Good. It was a stupid thing to do/say and he did need to apologize for it. How would he like it if someone came on the show and openly challenged him to give the camera his best S&M look? :o

That being said, on the few occasions I've had to deal with him - he's been incredibly professional and actually very nice.

I know sometimes elements of the gay community can be their own worst enemy and humour should never die (there's nothing wrong with spoof, gentle teasing and sending things up in a way everyone can laugh), but there's also overstepping the line.

There are lots of folks out there on TV and in politics with an enormous sense of entitlement that rides roughshod over anyone that doesn't fit their straight, WASP ideals. I've found in America it mostly boils down to your politics - what angle you take according to those politics. In the UK it boils down to whether you're born stupid or not.

Edited by GimmeSumSugar

Phillippe Plays Along With Sex Tape Prank

Actor RYAN PHILLIPPE has been caught up in an April Fool's Day sex tape prank.

The Flags Of Our Fathers star was confronted with the 'leaked' raunchy footage as part of a skit on Tuesday's (01Apr08) edition of U.S. chat show Jimmy Kimmel Live.

Playing along with the joke, Phillippe pretended to be embarrassed and denied any involvement in the X-rated videotape.

He said, "Oh man. First of all, it is not me. I know it looks like me, and people say it sounds like me, but it's not me."

During the murky clip, Phillippe is seen setting up the video camera before he starts romping with Kimmel's middle-aged female security guard Veatrice, who is less than amused with the hunk's bedroom techniques.

Veatrice critiques, "Let mama show you how it's done... I want you to get the f**k up off my leg, Ryan Phillippe! You're crushing it, you son of a bitch, get off! Get the f**k up off of me! What you been eating? Your breath smells..."

Source: contactmusic

Jay Leno & Ryan Phillippe Still 'Friends' After Interview Controversy

There's no hard feelings between Jay Leno and Ryan Philippe, the TV host insisted Thursday night – after the recent controversy in which Leno asked the actor for his "gayest look."

When asked if there's any tension now between him and Phillippe, he replied, "That's all silly, of course."

"He's terrific," Leno, 57, told reporters at Thursday's One, Two, Many premiere in Hollywood.

Leno apologized last week after drawing fire from gay-rights group GLAAD for his on-air remarks, in which he asked Phillippe to pretend the camera was his "gay lover." Phillippe's first role was as a gay character on a soap opera. Leno later said he was "wrong" and that it "was a dumb thing to say."

Asked if he's spoken with Phillippe, 33, since the late-March interview, Leno said, "No, we talked about it before. We're friends. I mean, it's a talk show. That's what you do."

Tonight Show announcer John Melendez, who wrote and stars in the straight-to-DVD comedy One, Two, Many, also weighed in on the controversy: "Jay doesn't have a bad bone in his body. If people get angry at something he said, they just can't take him that literal. He's just a good guy. In this day and age, everyone is so PC. As soon as Janet Jackson shows a bit of her boob, the whole country goes crazy. It's sad."

As for Leno's future on the tube, he's mum. "I'll find a job somewhere," says the host, who leaves The Tonight Show next year after 22 years. As to whether he's met with ABC execs about a possible new project, he says, "I don't know, we'll see what happens ... ."

Source: People

Jay Leno & Ryan Phillippe Still 'Friends' After Interview Controversy

There's no hard feelings between Jay Leno and Ryan Philippe, the TV host insisted Thursday night – after the recent controversy in which Leno asked the actor for his "gayest look."

When asked if there's any tension now between him and Phillippe, he replied, "That's all silly, of course."

"He's terrific," Leno, 57, told reporters at Thursday's One, Two, Many premiere in Hollywood.

Leno apologized last week after drawing fire from gay-rights group GLAAD for his on-air remarks, in which he asked Phillippe to pretend the camera was his "gay lover." Phillippe's first role was as a gay character on a soap opera. Leno later said he was "wrong" and that it "was a dumb thing to say."

Asked if he's spoken with Phillippe, 33, since the late-March interview, Leno said, "No, we talked about it before. We're friends. I mean, it's a talk show. That's what you do."

Tonight Show announcer John Melendez, who wrote and stars in the straight-to-DVD comedy One, Two, Many, also weighed in on the controversy: "Jay doesn't have a bad bone in his body. If people get angry at something he said, they just can't take him that literal. He's just a good guy. In this day and age, everyone is so PC. As soon as Janet Jackson shows a bit of her boob, the whole country goes crazy. It's sad."

As for Leno's future on the tube, he's mum. "I'll find a job somewhere," says the host, who leaves The Tonight Show next year after 22 years. As to whether he's met with ABC execs about a possible new project, he says, "I don't know, we'll see what happens ... ."

Just like there wasn't a feud with Stern, or anybody else you pissed off? I doubt Ryan would say he was your "friend" at this point. Leno keeps proving what an underhanded jerk he is over and over...

Ryan Phillippe Opens Up About Fame Anxiety

Ryan Phillippe admits that he was not prepared for the whirlwind of attention that would follow marrying Reese Witherspoon.

Phillippe, 33, speaking to Britain's The Times Magazine while promoting his Iraq war film, Stop-Loss, refused to talk about his friendship with costar Abbie Cornish but he did hint at the problems of a high-profile marriage.

"I fooled myself into believing it would be easier than it was. To have people speculating constantly about the state of your relationship, casting aspersions and telling lies ... It took more of a toll than I was immediately aware of," he told the magazine.

A downside of the fame, he revealed to the Times, was an attitude toward photographers that has rubbed off on daughter Ava. "She's aware and it creates in her a lot of anxiety, which is partly my fault. When Ava was very young, I was young too. I'd get ... visibly angry at the paparazzi back then," he said. "She was my first child, and my instinct was to protect her."

He added that son Deacon is not affected in the same way. "Mainly because since his birth I've realized that you've got to make it seem like less of a big deal. Ava to this day, though ... It breaks my heart to think about it, hearing her say, 'My friends at school saw a picture of me in a magazine and they made fun because I was carrying a blanket.' "

Still, Phillippe has found a way to use the attention for good purposes – by wearing shirts with charity Web sites he supports, such as Children's Defense and Africare, "because these pictures go around the world and untold numbers of people see them. One organization told me their web hits went up 2,000 percent overnight after one such image was syndicated."