princess

Natalie Portman

Natalie Portman does New York Times Style

Posted Image

Natalie Portman

Actress Natalie Portman opens up about childhood, life, death and shving up in the upcoming Holiday issue of the New York Times Style magazine.

On growing up:“I was once told that the age you are is the age you were when you became who you are. Does that mean I am perpetually 11? I’m not sure I want to have that strict an image. In the movie business, there is such a temptation to stick with a particular persona. There is a kind of artistic branding.”

On shaving her head:“Being bald was great, but the regrowth was the problem. My hair is very curly, and I’d have to have someone iron it if I wanted it to be straight. There was a lot of head-burning. And I started craving hair. I wanted to feel like a girl again.”

On death scenes:“I’ve died many times. I died in Closer, but they changed the ending and, miraculously, I lived. I also died in Star Wars and in Cold Mountain. Death scenes are not more difficult than other scenes. It’s much harder to laugh than cry. I find it so hard to fake laughing. I have no laugh except my own, and that laugh is very particular, very modern. It’s hard to make any other laugh sound real. It’s like sneezing: you really only have one sneeze.”

Natalie also sat down with the newspaper for a video interview to talk about her childhood, her favorite sounds and her happiest times

Posted Image

Posted Image

Natalie Portman’s Vegan Shoe Line

Posted Image

Natalie Portman designed a vegan collection of shoes in collaboration with Te Casan. (Vegans do not use or consume animal products of any kind.)

The Natalie Portman Collection arrives February 2008 online and at the NYC boutique located at 382 West Broadway. The shoes are available for pre-order on January 15. 5% of all vegan shoe profits will be going to charity.

Nat’s shoes will run you about $200, far cheaper than the Stella McCartney vegan heels.

Vegan shoes??? Now I have heard of everything!

I was trying to figure out what kind of materials they're made out of. Any vegans here who can enlighten me?

I assume vegans object to the use of leather but when you think about it, after an animal dies, wouldn't it be considered recyling tomake use of their skins? :) :wacko:

Hollywood star NATALIE PORTMAN is her own worst critic and is brutally self-conscious about her acting performances. The actress confesses to analysing her work and finds faults in almost every film she has made, with her insecurity peaking following her performances as Queen Amidala in the Star Wars prequels. She says, "I often feel insecure and don't believe in myself. I have a thousand doubts a day. "Everyone hated my performances in Star Wars and thought I was a terrible actress." "Almost every movie has a scene that stands out to me as something I messed up on. It drives you to do better, too, when everyone's saying you're terrible, or you feel like you're terrible."

contactmusic.com

PORTMAN: 'I'M WILD ON THE SIDE'

Actress NATALIE PORTMAN has laughed off her reputation as a showbiz "puritan", insisting she is wild on the sly. The Closer star is rarely seen tumbling out of nightclubs drunk - but she claims she still has fun away from the prying eyes of the press. Portman confesses, "I've had a few drunken nights in my life. I'm not a puritan. I simply haven't made a lifestyle out of it. "So people always assume that I'm pretty boring. I hope I'm not."

contact music

Actress NATALIE PORTMAN has laughed off her reputation as a showbiz "puritan", insisting she is wild on the sly. The Closer star is rarely seen tumbling out of nightclubs drunk - but she claims she still has fun away from the prying eyes of the press. Portman confesses, "I've had a few drunken nights in my life. I'm not a puritan. I simply haven't made a lifestyle out of it. "So people always assume that I'm pretty boring. I hope I'm not."

contact music

And who would think she was a puritan in the first place?

contact music

And who would think she was a puritan in the first place?

Well it's her image isn't it. She's always been portrayed as a nice girl. Nothing wrong with that, but maybe she's sick of being labelled whiter than white sort of thing all the time.

I Like The Dog And That's About It

Posted Image

ScarJo and Natalie Portman are on the cover of March's W Magazine promoting their movie "The Other Boleyn Girl." That movie is basically an excuse for these two to butcher a British accent. They make Britney sound like the Queen of England.

No, it's not the Halloween issue. These two look like a more expensive version of every goth girl I went to school with. It's like a Hot Topic ad. Maggie the chihuahua is over it though. She's like, "Why am I stuck with these posers? Was the Dog Fancy cover already booked?"

Here's some quotes from the article:

ScarJo on tabloids: “You’re never going to find me at the Ivy. I don’t care how good the Cobb salad is. These tabloid magazines—I think they’re hideous and the downfall of society.”

I think your acting is the downfall of society, ScarJo. We're even.

ScarJo on monogamy: “I’ve been battered for saying that I don’t believe humans are monogamous by nature. The response was, like, ‘What a ho-bag!’ I didn’t mean that I don’t practice monogamy in my own life—of course I do! I’m not going to be in some tarty relationship. But I stick by what I said. I remember another time, I said I get tested for AIDS twice a year, and again that got spun as me being promiscuous. But I was single at the time, and I think it’s important to do that!”

What a HOBAG!

Nat on her public persona: “The only thing that’s a little bit annoying, is I feel that I come off kind of boring sometimes.”

Awww, I like Natalie. I know I'm not supposed to, but she's so damn pretty.

Nat on monogramy: “I’m into monogamy. But I’m not really into marriage right now. I sort of hate the legal aspect of it. What does the state have to do with it? Why are they making rules that say my lover can stay in the United States if they’re foreign or share my health care benefits because I’m straight—but if you’re gay, you can’t have that?”

Whatever you say Natalie. Just stay pretty and isn't ScarJo such a HOBAG!!?!

Click here to read the rest of the article if you care.

http://www.dlisted.com/

Natalie Exercises a Woman's Right to (Animal-Free) Shoes

PAGE SIX

We're not sure if we quite understand the concept of a “vegan” shoe line (vegetarian shoes make sense, but really, are there a lot of shoes out there being made out of milk and egg products? Anyway. Moving on.) But Natalie Portman’s new vegan shoe collection for Te Cesan is so adorable, who cares? The long-time animal rights supporter launched her footwear line at the Te Cesan store in NYC last night. A vegetarian since the age of eight, the actress recently decided to cut out animal products as well. “Yeah, I don’t know how long that will last,” she admits in the March issue of W magazine.

Elle.com has a gallery of Natalie’s cruelty-free shoe line, if you’re so inclined…

WINE TIME

Page Six

February 14, 2008 -- NATALIE Portman kept everyone waiting for 45 minutes at the launch of her new shoe line at the Te Casan Store in SoHo. When she finally emerged, she gave 15 minutes of interviews before going back into hiding. Guests waited impatiently while sipping on Casa Lapostolle wines, which Portman chose because they are organic and biodynamic to go along with her vegan shoe line. The actress returned, reports a spy, "However, she showed up with only five minutes remaining before the party ended

STAR WARS actress NATALIE PORTMAN has vowed never to get married - insisting she doesn't need a piece of paper to prove she's committed to her partner. The Closer beauty, who is currently dating fashion designer Nathan Bogle, is unhappy with the government's definition of marriage and can't understand why she should apply the same rules to her own relationships. Portman slams the legal aspects surrounding the exchanging of marital vows - branding it unfair that gay couples are not bestowed the same rights. She says, "I'm into monogamy. But I'm not really into marriage. I sort of hate the legal aspect of it. What does the state have to do with it? "Why are they making rules that say my lover can stay in the United States if they're foreign or share my health care benefits because I'm straight - but if you're gay, you can't have that?"

contactmusic.com

Portman, Johansson in 16th-century drama

AP

Natalie Portman and Scarlett Johansson transformed themselves into Henry VIII's second wife, Anne Boleyn, and her sister in "The Other Boleyn Girl" — helped by costumes that, Johansson said, were "characters in themselves."

The movie, based on Philippa Gregory's book of the same name and directed by Justin Chadwick, debuted Friday at the Berlin film festival, where it screened out of competition.

Portman stars as the ambitious Anne Boleyn, who became Henry's second wife and eventually was executed. Johansson plays her little-known older sister, Mary, who was Henry VIII's mistress before her sister married the king (played by Eric Bana).

The stars said they were helped by the costumes from designer Sandy Powell, who won Oscars for her work on "Shakespeare in Love" and "The Aviator."

"It wasn't like I went to set every morning ... and was like, I can't wait to be corseted," Johansson told reporters. "But the costumes really aided in a way — they were kind of characters in themselves."

The outfits provided "a constant reminder of the restrictions placed on women at the time," she said. "You can't even move your arms, and everything is very statuesque and you have this giant skirt around you, and it's interesting how that changes the way you interact."

Portman said the costumes were "definitely helpful in creating the characters" and argued that the figures' story and emotions remain relevant to the modern world.

"Human emotion doesn't change," she said. "I think that's one of the hard things for us to imagine — how history might have been sexy, gossipy, glamorous."

Bana: No ego clash in film with Johansson, Portman

BERLIN (Reuters) - Eric Bana insisted his co-stars Scarlett Johansson and Natalie Portman got on famously and that all three actors were able to raise their game in "The Other Boleyn Girl" with a friendly competition to out-do each other.

The Australian who plays England's King Henry VIII in the film that made its world premiere at the Berlin Film Festival on Friday went out of his way to quash any notion there was any clash of egos or friction between high-powered young Americans.

"Why is it that people in the media hate the idea that actors working together is possibly true?," Bana said at a good spirited news conference after Johansson and Portman had been heaping praise on each other's acting talents.

"I hate to break it to you but actors really do love each other. It's a crazy job and we put ourselves in vulnerable positions. I don't care if it sounds corny but it's true: you're part of a brotherhood, and protect each other.

"And they indeed do get along really well."

Yet there are sparks between the two in "The Other Boleyn Girl," adopted from a best-selling novel by Philippa Gregory about the 16th century king and his second wife Anne Boleyn -- the mother of Queen Elizabeth I who was beheaded in 1536.

Portman, who plays a scheming Anne Boleyn, and Johansson, her sister Mary, vie against each other for the affections of King Henry -- Mary is his mistress and Anne becomes his wife.

"People keep asking if the rivalry was real but it was the opposite because we just liked each other so much," said Portman, 26. "It was such a rare opportunity to work with an actress my age who I much admire."

Johansson, who corrected Bana by calling it a "sisterhood" of actors, chimed in that Portman, who excels as a sinister character in the film, kept apologizing for being so mean.

"Natalie was apologizing all the time. She'd say 'I'm sorry for stealing your baby' or 'I'm sorry for that'," said Johansson, 23. "I said 'Don't worry. Let's get dinner later'."

Bana, 39, and Johansson said they all thrived on the competition during filming, which director Justin Chadwick took to many historic locations to give his cast an extra bit of inspiration. Chadwick said he was lucky to get the trio for his first film.

"It really was challenging," Johansson said. "It was a very healthy competition among all of us to raise the scene to the next level and keep the energy up. It was impressive every day.

"You can't be selfish as an actor and say 'I'm going to do this all for me and I don't care about the rest of you because my performance is going to be great'," Johansson said.

"That won't work. You see how your performance makes their performance better and it means so much to be able to have this kind of a sisterhood with other actors."

Bana, who gave the German media a treat by speaking a few lines in polished German, said there was nothing unusual about Australians and Americans playing historic English characters.

"Casting should be open to people from different nationalities," he said, before joking: "I think that as Australia is part of the commonwealth I felt it was my right to play this character."

Natalie, She's Going To Eat Your Head!

Posted Image

The lovely and gorgeous, Natalie Portman, posed with some crazy hooker at the Berlinale Film Festival premiere of "The Boleyn Girl" in Berlin tonight. ScarJo's head looks like it was raped with a dog brush. Natalie can do no wrong. Well, she is wearing hotel curtains over Salvation Army lingerie, but she is still beautiful. As long as she keeps her trap shut and doesn't start blabbing about how she's so smart and shit.

They are really pushing this movie. I'm still not sold. If I wanted to hear bad accents I'd watch Julia Roberts in "Mary Reilly" again. Although, Eric Bana is a tall drink of Ovaltine. He's probably the only good part.

Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image

http://www.dlisted.com/

Wow ~ Natalie's hand does not move away from her tummy or belly button. So what's yah hiding, there, Nat, eh?!

I noticed that, too. God, is EVERYONE pregnant?

Pregnancy is the new black.

(I don't really think she's pregnant)

TIME TO DIRECT

PAGE SIX

February 16, 2008 -- NATALIE Portman will make her directorial debut with a screen adaptation of "A Tale of Love and Darkness," Amos Oz's memoir of growing up in Jerusalem in the 1940s and '50s - and she'll make the movie in Hebrew. The Israeli-born actress told W: "I've been reading Oz since high school, and when I read his biography I just sort of saw it." Besides English and Hebrew, the Harvard grad, 26, also speaks French and "some Arabic, thanks to several graduate-level courses at Hebrew University in Jerusalem."

TIME TO DIRECT

PAGE SIX

February 16, 2008 -- NATALIE Portman will make her directorial debut with a screen adaptation of "A Tale of Love and Darkness," Amos Oz's memoir of growing up in Jerusalem in the 1940s and '50s - and she'll make the movie in Hebrew. The Israeli-born actress told W: "I've been reading Oz since high school, and when I read his biography I just sort of saw it." Besides English and Hebrew, the Harvard grad, 26, also speaks French and "some Arabic, thanks to several graduate-level courses at Hebrew University in Jerusalem."

she rocks.. glad she has so much more going for her than just acting.

TIME TO DIRECT

PAGE SIX

I agree ~ I've been a fan for a long time. But I do sometimes wonder about what her pr puts out . . . . "graduate level courses at Hebrew University in Jerusalem"? What - was it a week or month long workshop? How does one make all these films and spend an entire semester in Jerusalem? Or maybe she did the online course? ;)

TIME TO DIRECT

PAGE SIX

I agree ~ I've been a fan for a long time. But I do sometimes wonder about what her pr puts out . . . . "graduate level courses at Hebrew University in Jerusalem"? What - was it a week or month long workshop? How does one make all these films and spend an entire semester in Jerusalem? Or maybe she did the online course? ;)

Maybe she took a course there during the summer?

Natalie Portman Lays a Big Ol' Kiss on Scarlett Johansson

Posted Image

It sounds really hot. Maybe it was possibly hot in real life and photos just don't do the moment justice. But, the shots out of Natalie Portman smacking lips with Scarlett Johansson at the premiere of their movie, "The Other Boleyn Girl," are a little disappointing to me. It looks like an awkward nervous 13-year-old kiss. Natalie looks like she is trying too hard to look hot for the cameras, and Scarlett looks all "Tee-hee, I'm pulling a Paris," which I bet leads Natalie to share a nice smooch with Scarlett's teeth.

The co-stars have become quite close friends over the past year, and Natalie confessed to W magazine that she is worried she comes off as boring. Perhaps this act was a way for Natalie to show everyone that she can be spontaneous and fun, or maybe Scarlett just wanted to make boyfriend Ryan Reynolds feel a tinge of jealousy. Whatever the motive -- I'd say mission accomplished!

Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image

http://socialitelife.buzznet.com/

Eric Bana Pours Water on the Cat Fight Rumor

Posted Image

Eric Bana, who stars with Scarlett Johansson and Natalie Portman in "The Other Boleyn Girl," dismissed the rumor that there was any sort of rivalry going on between the two female leads in the film. Sky News Online reports that Bana indicated that both women pushed each other to deliver the best performance possible and that it was merely friendly professional competition.

I could see the two clashing because they do seem to have such different personalities, but at the same time, I wouldn't be surprised to see the movie's publicity machine spinning this yarn to get us to see the movie.

Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image

http://socialitelife.buzznet.com/