branchop

Olympics 2012

Watching the biopic on NBC now on the 1996 gymnasts - they all look like they're wearing heavy underwear with padding in the crotch. Doesn't help that the crotch was white ;-)

I really doubt any of the girls were on their period. I was a competitive gymnast until 16, and I didn't have a period until I retired from the sport. None of my fellow gymnasts did either. And we weren't at an Olympic level (unfortunately!).

The padding in the crotch reason is probably to prevent camel toe; public hair lines, and sweaty crotch stains. lol

Re: Ryan Lochte. I had such a crush on him at the start of the Olympics, and then I started slowly realizing he was an idiotic douche. I ran across that article yesterday and my summer crush was officially killed!

I think Gabby is awesome and I'm happy for her, but I LOVE Aly Raisman. I'm so happy she won the gold and bronze today. That girl is a class act.

I think Gabby is awesome and I'm happy for her, but I LOVE Aly Raisman. I'm so happy she won the gold and bronze today. That girl is a class act.

Ditto.

The female gymnasts sound like Stepford wives in their interviews. No inflection and super scripted. What is up with that?

No inflection and super scripted. What is up with that?

Tight, TIGHT, control required for that sport. Then there's the whole "perfect little girl/young woman" image, America's Sweetheart shit, and a bunch of other psych stuff we throw on top of them. Sucks.

But if one of the gymnasts cut loose like Ryan Lochte, would we shrug it off and say "oh, she's just young and inexperienced" the way people do with Lochte? Nope, total double standard.

No inflection and super scripted. What is up with that?

Tight, TIGHT, control required for that sport. Then there's the whole "perfect little girl/young woman" image, America's Sweetheart shit, and a bunch of other psych stuff we throw on top of them. Sucks.

But if one of the gymnasts cut loose like Ryan Lochte, would we shrug it off and say "oh, she's just young and inexperienced" the way people do with Lochte? Nope, total double standard.

I agree with both of you. What struck me throughout the entire gymnastics event was the CRYING. I'm old enough to remember when that NEVER happened... the athletes barely even showed happiness when they won. It was overboard stoisism back then, but I also don't like the sulking and tears we see today... at least, not as much as we see them today.

What struck me about the Olympics in general: DANG, don't these people have publicists or even savvy coaches that tell them to keep their asses off of social media during the games?

: DANG, don't these people have publicists or even savvy coaches that tell them to keep their asses off of social media during the games?

If they don't now, they will soon. I know a lot of colleges are requiring things like "Friending" a coach if you use Facebook - so you can be monitored. But when young people do stupid shit and POST IT PUBLICLY, they need to be monitored :rolleyes: Don't bitch to me about your privacy if you're posting shit on facebook.

We all did stupid shit when we were 16 or 20. It's just that 20 years ago, it wasn't broadcast globally in seconds. And for that, I count myself so very very lucky!!!

Speaking of social media, have I posted about the NSFW american rower penis? I'll get that up......

OK, here's a link. I won't post the photo, just in case. But what pops up in this link might be NSFW....

http://gawker.com/5932674/a-candid-intervi...lem-with-rowers

Geez, do I guess i will have to add rowers to the list of swimmers and divers that I watch. :jawdrop:

j/k

Speaking of social media, have I posted about the NSFW american rower penis? I'll get that up......

OK, here's a link. I won't post the photo, just in case. But what pops up in this link might be NSFW....

http://gawker.com/5932674/a-candid-intervi...lem-with-rowers

Couple of Freudian slips there, Hoya?!!! :banana:

...ummm as is your emoticon? :banana:

:4biggrin:

Michael Phelps for Louis Vuitton[/url]

Posted Image

Posted Image

Olympic champions: Now-retired U.S. swimmer Michael Phelps poses with former Soviet gymnast Larisa Latynina, 77, in Louis Vuitton's latest Core Values campaign

Read more: Let the fashion endorsements begin! Michael Phelps announced as latest face of Louis Vuitton Core Values campaign | Mail Online