princess

Johnny Depp

justjarad.comDepp's Daddy DutiesNice, France :: Actor Johnny Depp, 42, travelled through a Nice airport earlier this month with longtime girlfriend Vanessa Paradis, 33, and his two kids, Lily-Rose Depp, 6, and Jack Depp, 4. His upcoming film Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Man's Chest co-starring Orlando Bloom and Keira Knightley opens July 7th.

Posted Image

Johnny Depp and ladylove Vanessa Paradis step out for a preview of French artist Gravleur's exhibition at West Hollywood's Trigg Ison Fine Art Gallery on Thursday.

BOGUS DESIGNJOHNNY Depp, who's part Cherokee, has upset some tribe members by wearing what appears to be a cheap knockoff of the popular "Homeland Security" T-shirt created by Cherokee designer Colleen Lloyd, who donates proceeds to Native American charities. The shirt shows Geronimo and three other braves with the caption: "Fighting terrorism since 1492." Lloyd blamed "white rednecks" for the bootlegging and said Depp didn't realize he'd bought a fake. "Johnny got ripped off," she said.

DEPP: PIRATES, PARADIS AND MY DEEPEST FEAR

By Polly Graham

DEEPLY troubled Pirates Of The Caribbean superstar Johnny Depp has some astonishing confessions to make.

On the face of it he's a devil-may-care heart-throb, adored by millions of women, who has his own Hollywood treasure chest.

Beneath the calm surface he's TORMENTED by insecurity and he FEARS his golden career could be wrecked any day.

And at home he's a PUSHOVER dad who's DESPERATE for more kids and lets his missus wear the TROUSERS.

Opening his heart for the first time to reveal his innermost secrets, Depp candidly admits: "I always wonder when I'm going to be rumbled and sent packing. "It could happen tomorrow. I might end up playing guitar in some bar. Or pumping gas? I honestly believe it's a miracle that I get jobs.

"I never dared to dream I'd ever get this far and stay around for so long."

Johnny earned a record £20million as Captain Jack Sparrow in Pirates sequel Dead Man's Chest. It's out on Thursday and destined to be THE summer blockbuster.

But he's plagued by a lack of self-belief which he blames on a nightmare childhood that turned him into a miserable loner and still haunts him.

"School was total torment," he reveals. "We moved around a lot. I lived in 35 different houses in my first 15 years. I never felt accepted.

"I was always the stranger, the new boy, the kid who nobody knew, and never had time to make friends.

"We were a nomadic family."

Depp, 43, says his ancestry is "an incredible mix—everything from Cherokee Native American to Irish ...so maybe that could explain something about me."

He was born to Kentucky engineer John Christopher Depp and Betty Sue Palmer in 1963. The couple split in Johnny's early teens and he was raised by mum in Florida. She slogged as a waitress to keep food on the table.

Sporting the beard and moustache he grew specially for his buccaneer role, he recalls: "Mom worked hard in those little diners. When I was growing up there was never an abundance of cash—ever."

Love

Depp blames that insecurity for his years of failing to find lasting love—before eventually settling down with French singer-songwriter and actress Vanessa Paradis, mother of his daughter Lilly, seven, and four-year-old son Jack.

He says: "Jeez, we've been together eight years and we have two kids. We're married basically. We just haven't done the whole public vow thing. It really isn't necessary for us. Others may want to, we don't."

As for having more children, he smiles: "I certainly would love to keep going and I think that Vanessa would probably like that too."

Amazingly Depp admits that Vanessa takes charge at home and he has trouble keeping the kids in line.

He shrugs: "She's the woman. She's infinitely stronger than we men. We are quivering wrecks next to the women. That's just how it is.

"As a dad you get those moments where it's 8.30 in the morning and your kids want candy . . . "

He trails off, leaving you in no doubt he's a soft touch when it comes to his beloved children.

Before finding his own Paradis, Depp went through prolonged but doomed love affairs with screen star Winona Ryder and model Kate Moss. Ryder was just a teenager when they met and she lost her virginity to him.

He still bears the scars of that romance—the ‘Winona Forever' tattoo, etched on his arm at the height of their passion, has been doctored to read ‘Wino Forever'.

For Moss, he was ‘the one'— the man she has always longed for and never fallen out of love with.

Depp says he is "far more mellow" today than ever before. "I can handle things. It's me who is in control now," he adds.

This is the man who was once famously involved in a fracas with London photographers, and who trashed an apartment in New York in the early Nineties.

His life changed "irrevocably" on meeting Vanessa, 33, on a film set in 1999. But Depp admits his itchy-feet upbringing affects him even now.

"We and the kids can never stay in one place for very long," he says.

But nowadays it's first class all the way. With commitments in Hollywood, he has moved the family back to BEVERLY HILLS — leaving staff to manage the PARIS apartment and the £1million villa on the RIVIERA.

Thrilled

When he can manage a full weekend away from filming, they might all fly to their other £2million hideaway home in the BAHAMAS.

Depp is wearing a huge black beret, his tanned, dangerous good looks glowing with health. A large square-cut diamond adorns the band on his wedding finger.

And when he speaks he chooses his words very carefully and leans forward...probably just as well, because his voice is soft, barely a whisper.

Without a trace of boastfulness the most bankable star in Hollywood smiles: "We share an incredible life." Even if he can't quite believe how he got from 17-year-old high school dropout to rock band guitarist then big-screen icon, he enjoys the rewards.

And as well as winning the hearts of millions of women worldwide he is now thrilled to be a kids' favourite—thanks to Pirates and his captivating Willy Wonka role in Charlie And The Chocolate Factory.

Depp says: "I meet them, and they go, ‘Wow, you're Captain Jack!' And you can see it in their eyes that they're not thinking ‘That's Johnny Depp playing a part.'

"They're thinking ‘It's Jack, and he's a pirate!'

"God, what a wonderful high that is. I've started to make films that I hope my kids might be proud of.

"They saw Charlie And The Chocolate Factory and really loved it. There are films of mine I definitely would not want them to watch!

"I do have an affinity for ‘damaged' roles, I'll give you that. I don't know why...my life as a kid? I think we're all somewhat screwy."

Then Depp reveals an achievement he is specially proud of. Recalling how his mum worked so hard waiting tables to give him a start, he says:

"I have made sure that she NEVER has to do that again!"

Posted Image

10 Things to Love About Johnny

He's a true original: From his humor to his tattoos, find out why we can't get enough of the Pirates of the Caribbean star.

By Serena Kappes, People.com

1. HIS GOOD LOOKS: Those high cheekbones, those soulful brown eyes – it's no wonder why Johnny Depp's Pirates of the Caribbean costar Keira Knightley calls him "eye candy." But the chiseled actor (in the Bahamas in February) doesn't get the fuss about his own allure. "I have no idea," he says.

Posted Image

2. HIS DEVOTION TO HIS KIDS: Becoming a father to Lily-Rose, 7, and Jack, 4 (with ladylove Vanessa Paradis), "has given me great strength, great perspective, great calm," says Depp. At home at their $2 million villa in Plan-de-la-Tour, France, a favorite activity is heading with his "kiddies" to "the trampoline and the swing set, and we'll stop by the garden and see how our tomatoes are doing," he told Newsweek.

Posted Image

3. HIS TATTOOS: Depp has been getting inked since the early '80s and has more than 12 tattoos mapped out over his body. "I jot down experiences that mean something to me – jot them down permanently," he told The New York Times. They include his son's name scripted on his right forearm and daughter Lily-Rose's above his heart, and a Native American profile on his right bicep paying homage to his Cherokee heritage.

Posted Image

4. HIS GRATEFULNESS: He doesn't take stardom for granted. "Johnny has been through the sausage machine of Hollywood and come out the other side still standing," says Pirates costar Orlando Bloom. In fact, Depp (in L.A. in 2005) tops Autograph Collector magazine's list of the most generous celebs. "He's even signed autographs for crowds at the airport while carrying luggage," says editor Steve Cyrkin.

Posted Image

5. HIS RETRO STYLE: 1940s-era suits, vintage fedoras and well-worn shoes are classic Johnny, but Depp doesn't consider himself a sharp-dressed man. "I was 3 years old and my mom and dad dressed me up as a hobo for Halloween. The only difference between now and then is that then they drew more beard on me than I can actually grow," he says.

Posted Image

6. HIS SENSE OF HUMOR: Getting slimed from head to toe at the Nickelodeon Kids' Choice Awards in 2005 was "a lot of fun," says Depp. And the actor has earned a rep as a prankster: He planted whoopee cushions on the chairs of his Finding Neverland costars and gave Leonardo DiCaprio "disgusting things to smell" on the set of What's Eating Gilbert Grape, says director Lasse Hallstrom.

Posted Image

7. HIS ECLECTIC FRIENDS: Depp "gravitates to outsiders," says filmmaker pal Jim Jarmusch, and his chosen company shows it. Depp has counted among his friends Marilyn Manson (left) and the late gonzo journalist Hunter S. Thompson, whom he played in '98's Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas. After the writer's 2005 death, he even footed the bill for a lavish sendoff at Thompson's Woody Creek, Colo., ranch.

Posted Image

8. HIS SENTIMENTALITY: "I always have on my little trinkets," says Depp of his assemblage of accessories, including a plastic necklace made by daughter Lily-Rose, a medallion bearing her name, and a leather cuff modeled after the one he wore in 1986's Platoon. "He has little superstitions, and things that are comforting to him become his friends," says pal Jarmusch.

Posted Image

9. HIS CHAMELEON WAYS: The Oscar nominee has made an art of disappearing into his roles – among them, (clockwise from left) Captain Jack Sparrow (Pirates), Willy Wonka (Charlie and the Chocolate Factory), a Cuban transvestite (Before Night Falls) and Hunter S. Thompson (Fear and Loathing). "With all of my characters, it's just depressing to leave them," Depp told Rolling Stone recently.

Posted Image

10. HIS LOVE FOR HIS LADY: "I just knew, you know, it's over with," he told Oprah Winfrey of meeting French pop singer Vanessa Paradis in Paris in 1998. Since then the couple (in January) – who've never married – have been inseparable. "Our story is love and friendship united," she wrote in a tribute to Depp in French Elle. "I have the impression that no one could love the way we love."

Posted Image

From his fresh-scrubbed charm on TV's 21 Jump Street to his roguish debauchery in the 2003 blockbuster Pirates of the Caribbean: The Curse of the Black Pearl, Johnny Depp has left women swooning—and men wishing they were in his shoes. Whether dressed down in torn jeans and earrings or suited-up and bespectacled, his face hasn't changed: dark, intense eyes, chiseled cheekbones and a sexy but seldom smiling mouth. Depp has always been known as an actor's actor, choosing artsy roles in Edward Scissorhands, The Corpse Bride, and Charlie and the Chocolate Factory—but even he couldn’t turn down the chance to play the sensually sinister Captain Jack Sparrow again in Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Man's Chest. All this and playing dad too. Who wouldn't love this guy? ~In Style

1987: Depp's career takes off thanks to the hit television show 21 Jump Street.

Posted Image

1994: Another quirky movie—Ed Wood—puts Depp in the art-film firmament.

Posted Image

1998: Depp briefly goes blond for his role in The Astronaut's Wife.

Posted Image

1999: Depp again teams with Burton for the film Sleepy Hollow. He also has a daughter, Lily-Rose, with girlfriend Vanessa Paradis.

Posted Image

2001: Often scruffy, he is nevertheless one of People's 50 Most Beautiful.

Posted Image

2006: Depp plays Captain Jack Sparrow for a second time in Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Man's Chest.

Posted Image

EASY COMMUTE: At least they didn't have to travel far: French residents Johnny Depp and Vanessa Paradis make the scene at the Paris premiere of his Pirates of the Caribbean sequel on Thursday, where the City of Light honored Depp with its "freedom" medal before the screening.

Posted Image

Rolling Stone:

Posted Image

The Last Buccaneer

On the path to Hollywood glory, Johnny Depp veered off course. So how did he tame his wild ways to become one of the world's most bankable leading men?

Read the full article here!

Posted Image

The Many Faces of Johnny Depp: A Gallery of His Starring Acts

The actor is a chameleon who loves to lose himself in his roles

Posted Image

A Nightmare on Elm Street (1984)

In his first movie, Depp, then twenty-one, is a victim who gets attacked by a bed. No one talked of an Oscar.

Posted Image

Cry-Baby (1990)

Depp's first role in the star spot cast him as a bad-boy Elvis wanna-be with a kinky touch added by director John Waters.

Posted Image

Edward Scissorhands (1990)

In his first film for Tim Burton, Depp is a man-made boy with a sharp grasp of human foibles.

Posted Image

Ed Wood (1994)

Working again for Burton, Depp finds a manic sweetness in a cross-dresser who directed the worst movies ever.

Posted Image

Before Night Falls (2000)

Depp seizes the chance to play a transvestite prisoner in this film from director Julian Schnabel.

Posted Image

Blow (2001)

As a drug dealer in Ted Demme's underrated biopic, Depp gets to make fashion statements about the 1960s and 1970s.

Posted Image

Pirates of the Caribbean:The Curse of the Black Pearl (2003)

Playing Keith Richards as a foppish pirate king opens the door for Depp with his first Oscar nod.

Posted Image

Finding Neverland (2004)

The role of gentle, lonely Peter Pan author J.M. Barrie shows a new depth in Depp and brings award attention.

Posted Image

Corpse Bride (2005)

Depp shows a touching tenderness in his role as Victor Van Dort, a timid soul on his way to being a forty-year-old virgin.

Posted Image

Charlie and the Chocolate Factory (2005)

Director Tim Burton surrounds Depp with miraculous visuals of spun sugar and creeping menace in the 2005 remake, in which Depp plays the role of Willy Wonka.

Edited by Cutielb99

"I can always pump gas or sell pens again. And if I become that weird guy who does art films again, that's okay with me."

– Johnny Depp, on not worrying about the box-office success of his films, to the U.K.'s Independent

The Five Fiancées of Johnny Depp

Us Weekly Blog

Johnny Depp has been in a long-term relationship with French actress-singer Vanessa Paradis (the mother of his two children) since 1998. But over the past 20-plus years, the actor has asked each of these women to be his bride:

Posted Image

Kate Moss: “I knew from the first moment we talked that we were going to be together,” Moss – whom he dated from 1994 to ’98 – has said.

Posted Image

Winona Ryder: His WINONA FOREVER tattoo honored Ryder, his love from 1989 to ’93 (he changed the tat to WINO FOREVER after they split).

Posted Image

Jennifer Grey: Depp proposed to Grey in 1988; they split in ’89.

Posted Image

Sherilyn Fenn: He dated Twin Peaks actress Fenn from 1984 to ’88.

Posted Image

Lori Allison: Depp wed Allison at age 20 in 1983. They divorced in ’85.

I kind of wished he had stayed with Winona Ryder. ::sigh::Think of the offbeat children they would have. Am I alone in thinking that his current girlfriend is...not that pretty?

Yes, you're right. The mother of his children is not a very pretty woman but a lot of French people think she's totally hot. She's got that bad teeth, skinny thing that many Europeans can find sexy. I think she looks like an unhealthy 12 year-old.

Thanks for the information & pictures on who he's been with. :) He & his current GF have been together for a really long time. Maybe because they live in France & away from Hollywood they'll last.

I kind of wished he had stayed with Winona Ryder. ::sigh::Think of the offbeat children they would have. Am I alone in thinking that his current girlfriend is...not that pretty?

I liked him and Winona together too and I agree that his current girlfriend is not very pretty.

Depp Still Digs FranceIf you’re hoping to catch Johnny Depp in the United States anytime soon, don’t hold your breath. The 43-year-old Pirates of the Caribbean star is still happily nestled in southern France and has declared American culture “disastrous.” Though spies in Wilton, Conn., and Brattleboro, Vt., have claimed he’s been shopping for a house in both locations, Depp’s rep tells the New York Daily News he has no plans to move his partner—French chanteuse, actress, and model Vanessa Paradis—and their two children, Lily-Rose Melody and Jack, back to the States. Quelle dommage, Johnny.

Posted Image

Sweet Lord. I'd like to plunder his treasure...I had to, I'm sorry.

This man is so hot in some pictures and so not in some others, but this one is beyond smoking.

::sigh::

Sweet Lord. I'd like to plunder his treasure...I had to, I'm sorry.This man is so hot in some pictures and so not in some others, but this one is beyond smoking. ::sigh::I am so with you on this - I have never seen the attraction until that photo. Glad you were clever and could say what I was thinking!Now I need to go mop up some drool......

For some reason, even though Johnny Depp violates my #1 celebrity crush rule (he looks like he smells bad, dammit!), I still drool over him in Pirates. Where he looks like he smells EXTRA bad. Why? Why oh why? Crazy Disney voodoo, I tell you.