princess

Owen Wilson

Wilson reportedly slit wrists; didn’t overdose

Attorney for the actor says Wilson had been taking antidepressants

MSNBC.com

LOS ANGELES - Police were called to Owen Wilson’s house after the actor slit his wrists. However, contrary to other reports, there was no drug overdose, an attorney for Wilson told “Access Hollywood.”

The attorney also told “Access” that the actor did not have his stomach pumped. The attorney said Wilson had been taking antidepressants, but was not aware of any other drugs in his system at the time of the incident.

While rumors quickly swirled over what sent the actor to the hospital, police call logs confirmed on Tuesday it was an “attempted suicide.” However, the Santa Monica City Attorney’s office has announced it will not be releasing the 911 call made regarding Wilson.

“In reaching this decision the City believes that in many instances no person should have to worry about whether placing a call for emergency assistance will automatically make his or her medical request open to public review,” the City Attorney’s office said in a press release late Wednesday. “In balancing the competing interests, the City agencies outweigh the public interest served by disclosure of the emergency 911 call. In situation such as this, the City concludes that the public is best served if medical attention is promptly sought instead of being delayed because of a concern, real or imagined, of public attention, regardless of whether that publicity is sympathetic or not.”

Copyright 2007 by NBC. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

Sometimes, the light-hearted, comedic actors who make everyone smile and laugh out loud have the deepest pain and demons inside. I guess it's that inner torment that works itself into comedy/acting.

Agree - that was my first thought as well.

This is one time where I wish the media and paps would leave people alone and actually give them complete privacy.

Sometimes, the light-hearted, comedic actors who make everyone smile and laugh out loud have the deepest pain and demons inside. I guess it's that inner torment that works itself into comedy/acting.

Agree - that was my first thought as well.

This is one time where I wish the media and paps would leave people alone and actually give them complete privacy.

Tough call...Kap, as unfortunate as this situation is, it brings attention(warranted or unwarranted) to drug abuse and/or depression in adults. I'm not an Owen Wilson fan(don't think he's funny and overrated as a writer)..but I do wish him the best....geez man, for the good of everyone around you(Columbine, VT) including yourself...stay on your damn meds! Something in my gut also says not to rule out drugs...something about the company he keeps. :rolleyes:

Sad. In one of my psychology classes my professor said " I would challenge any one of you to name ONE comedian that is a happy person"

very very sad... IF it is true..

Sad. In one of my psychology classes my professor said " I would challenge any one of you to name ONE comedian that is a happy person"

very very sad... IF it is true..

Amy Poehler! Tina Fey!

Maybe it's just the men :D

No, I agree with your prof for the most part but I just had to name those two. In my experience, aside from the two above, some of the nastiest celebs I've met? Always comedians.

The guy from SNL he does all the Bill Clinton impressions - hammond...

HIS story is utterly tragic. his parents use to molest him and his sisters and they would tell them that they were ghosts that looked like their parents. He had a falling out because OBVIOUSLY he called them on it as an adult but his parents continued to deny and even his sister believed it was ghosts. SO EFFED up.. Some parents need to not have a uterus. Dumb fuckers.

This is from Ted's column for Friday:

Rebel Yell

Ted interrupts his vacay to bring you the latest on Owen Wilson:

"He's one of the good ol' boys from here, not supposed to have anything wrong with 'em, what the hell do you expect?"

—Owen Wilson Dallas confidante, on the star's recent sashay into self-mutilation

While up in the middle of California's coast on vacation, I was stunned to find CNN awash with female B-stars, such as Marie Osmond, pontificating on the very tricky dynamics of dealing with major depression as a celebrity—all in the aftermath of O. Wilson's reported suicide attempt, 'course.

Owen Wilson

Uh, excuse me, I realize this is an emotional sitch to confront while being a public figure, but what the ef do these women know about facing personal demons while, at the same time, enjoying fame as Hollywood's most infamous studmuffin (i.e., the Butterscotch Stallion)?

Nothing.

By just checking in with a couple of the Wilson bro's buds in the Big D (where O.W. and I both hail from), I've begun to gather—obviously—Wilson wasn't so happy fornicating through the tulips.

"He's got some sex stuff and other things he's dealing with," said one Wilson amiga whom we have in common, "and, you know, the Texan thing is to not show anything's wrong, keep it all in."

Ya mean the Tex-ass thing? Yep. "And then all that fame on top of it," lamented the bud.

More to come next week, folks, after the holidays—and when more than a few players in this overdone story have sobered up. Surely is a nasty sitch, in many ways.

Hope you feel better, O, and I mean that.

Some sex stuff huh?

Some sex stuff huh?

I thought it was a typo and should have read, "same sex stuff"

Ummm

Edited by tyler

Some sex stuff huh?

Ummm

that's how I read it at first, too! I should say I feel slightly guilty discussing this after his suicide attempt. I'll get over it though.

Edited by lizpeppermint

Well, he and his brother get unreal quantities of pussy. I mean, from what I've heard, more than Warren Beatty and Jack Nicholson and Mick Jagger combined (back in the day).

This is not to say that he's not gay. Many a queer boy has had sex with women. But, "some sex stuff" could be an STD or AIDS or freaky fetishes that have run rampant. Just sayin': I kind of hope it's that he's gay because that is normal, healthy, acceptable stuff that won't ruin his life. AIDs, on the other hand...

Some sex stuff huh?

Ummm

that's how I read it at first, too! I should say I feel slightly guilty discussing this after his suicide attempt. I'll get over it though.

No, I don't think it's a typo. It makes more sense (in the sentence) the way it stands. Very vague, though.

Wilson reportedly slit wrists; didn’t overdose

LOS ANGELES - Police were called to Owen Wilson’s house after the actor slit his wrists. However, contrary to other reports, there was no drug overdose, an attorney for Wilson told “Access Hollywood.”

The attorney also told “Access” that the actor did not have his stomach pumped. The attorney said Wilson had been taking antidepressants, but was not aware of any other drugs in his system at the time of the incident.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/20503310/?gt1=10252

Why do "their people" find it so difficult to be honest - ever? It's such a head-scratcher for me, that one.

I mean I really feel for the guy, I do. But reading what his PR has just come out with it's like, what's next? Just be honest you know, admit he's having a fucking hard time, we don't mind. But oh no, he didn't commit suicide or slash his wrists (that'll be the next press release) or take pills and the police are idiots and he actually fell over when he was mowed down by a mob of squirrels brandishing pop guns and band aids, and that's why it was first reported he had bandages on his wrists because THEY MADE HIM DO IT!!!.

You can see them backpeddling already. By the next press release I'm fully expecting Owen was just taken into hospital with "exhaustion".

Jeesus wept. We can cope with the truth, really.

Edited by GimmeSumSugar

he actually fell over when he was mowed down by a mob of squirrels brandishing pop guns and band aids, and that's why it was first reported he had bandages on his wrists because THEY MADE HIM DO IT!!!.

:D :D :D I love this.

This PR damage control seems counter-productive, as it's making me wonder ......

He was depressed; he had drug problems. The public were not questioning that and the general feeling is sympathetic and non-judgemental. We all know people with these problems.

His people should just shut the hell up; they are just muddying the water.

This PR damage control seems counter-productive, as it's making me wonder ......

He was depressed; he had drug problems. The public were not questioning that and the general feeling is sympathetic and non-judgemental. We all know people with these problems.

His people should just shut the hell up; they are just muddying the water.

I agree but their continued yapping makes me wonder why they want the waters muddied. His sexual issues, perhaps?

I mean I really feel for the guy, I do. But reading what his PR has just come out with it's like, what's next? Just be honest you know, admit he's having a fucking hard time, we don't mind. But oh no, he didn't commit suicide or slash his wrists (that'll be the next press release) or take pills and the police are idiots and he actually fell over when he was mowed down by a mob of squirrels brandishing pop guns and band aids, and that's why it was first reported he had bandages on his wrists because THEY MADE HIM DO IT!!!.

I'm telling you, squirrels are evil :D

Edited by jgr0602

I agree - there's something here they don't want us to know about. More than a straight-up suicide attempt.

Owen Wilson: Creative Artist, Tortured Soul

Wilson Not the First to Battle Demons in the Public Eye

GMA Sept. 1, 2007

Movie fans know Owen Wilson as the loose, carefree wisecracker who has his way with women on film and in the gossip pages. In real life, he's at the top of his game, and may be the last guy you might expect to attempt suicide -- or maybe not.

"He has had a drug problem, a serious drug problem going back a decade or more," People.com's Michael Fleeman said. "He has been in rehab twice. In some ways there is a tortured soul here that I don't think we really knew about."

Wilson's representatives have previously denied he had a drug problem. But fame and money sometimes break the boundaries people need to hold their lives together. Art, even comedy, can come from a dark side of the personality.

"I think of humor a lot of times as also being a little bit sad," Wilson himself has said, "kind of the type of humor that comes from people's insecurities and vulnerabilities."

"Be sensitive to the fact that other people are not comfortable with emotional disturbances," Wilson's character, Dignan, said in the movie "Bottle Rocket," which he wrote.

"Saturday Night Live's" John Belushi became as famous for killing himself with a drug overdose, as he was for being funny.

And he wasn't alone, comedian and "SNL" alum Chris Farley, who often used his weight as a joke, committed suicide, too.

Then, there are the musicians. Rocker Kurt Cobain shot himself in 1994.

"They all tended to be depressed, almost all suicides," said Prof. Ronald Maris, a suicide expert at University of South Carolina. "Ninety percent or so of suicides have what we call a mood disorder."

You can't always get them to deal with their problems. Currently popular singer Amy Winehouse has a hit song, "Rehab," in which she admits she has a substance abuse problem and refuses to get treatment: "They wanna make me go to rehab; I won't go go go."

Despite the seeming glamour of their lives, some stars have the same problems anyone else would have. People magazine reported that Owen Wilson was despondent, in part by his recent breakup with the actress, Kate Hudson; that he's disappointed to be 38 and not married with children.

"Some people do very well with success and fame and money," Maris said. "And other people kind of lose their bearing."

Owen Wilson Returns Home Under Close Watch

Less than a week after his suicide attempt, Owen Wilson is back at home – and being watched around the clock.

"Owen is in bad mental shape but said he is thankful to be alive," says a source close to the actor, who had returned to his Santa Monica home on Saturday. "He knows he came close to ending his life, and he is happy that he was saved from himself. He is basically at home with people watching him 24/7."

Wilson's rep declined to comment.

Wilson, 38, was hospitalized Aug. 26 after what a police log called an "attempt suicide." He spent the next several days at Los Angeles' Cedars-Sinai Medical Center with constant visits from brothers Andrew and Luke Wilson, his parents and such friends as Wes Anderson and Woody Harrelson.

Wilson, who had been due to begin promoting his next film, The Darjeeling Limited at the Venice Film Festival this week, also dropped out of his next movie project, Tropic Thunder. The comedy was set to begin shooting this month, and would have paired Wilson with longtime pal Ben Stiller.

Wes Anderson: Owen Wilson “Doing Very Well”

Monday September 3, 2007

Actor Owen Wilson is in surprisingly good spirits after attempting to commit suicide on August 26, according to his friend, director Wes Anderson.

"Obviously he has been through a lot this week," said Anderson, who directed the actor in his latest film The Darjeeling Limited.

"I can tell you he has been doing very well, he has been making us laugh.”

Wilson and Anderson, both 38, cowrote The Royal Tenenbaums, Rushmore and Bottle Rocket. Anderson also directed the actor in The Life Aquatic with Steve Zissou.

"When he is ready he's going to speak for himself much better than any of us could," said the director, who was addressing a news conference to promote The Darjeeling Limited, which is being shown at the Venice Film Festival.

Wilson was rushed to the hospital last week after police responded to a call about a suicide attempt at his Santa Monica home.

In "Darjeeling," Wilson plays one of three estranged brothers (with Adrien Brody and Jason Schwartzman) who travel by train across India in an attempt to find their long-lost mother.

Wilson's character is depressed by his father's death, and he wears bandages on his face and wrist throughout the movie, suggesting a recent suicide attempt.

According to the Associated Press, when asked what it was like to work with Wilson, Brody said that the actor was a fun-loving addition to the set.

"Owen has a tremendous sense of humor and he's very mischievous," Brody said.

Totally different take on it from the UK gutter press....

Owen took heroin

By Mark Jefferies 29/08/2007

Actor Owen Wilson's suicide bid followed a three-day drugs binge on crystal meth and deadly pills dubbed hillbilly heroin, it was revealed last night.

And the troubled star, who overdosed and cut his wrists, had a history of slashing himself, it also emerged.

The news came as police phone records confirmed they rushed to his home after a frantic call about an "attempted suicide".

Owen, 38, is believed to have rounded off his narcotics bender by downing a bottle of powerful Oxycodone painkillers.

They are nicknamed hillbilly heroin because they are cheap, highly addictive and have killed hundreds of US addicts. The Wedding Crashers heart-throb had also been using crystal meth, an equally addictive drug that is often smoked or snorted and produces a rapid high similar to crack.

Medics had to inject him with two powerful anti-narcotics drugs to save him. Owen is feared to have tried to kill himself after seeing photos of ex-love Kate Hudson canoodling with a new man two months after their split.

Kate, 28 - star of How to Lose a Guy in 10 Days - was distraught as she learned the grim news about Owen while shooting a film in Boston.

The actress daughter of Goldie Hawn, seemed numb with shock and was rushed off the set. One insider revealed: "She looked upset and was on the phone, pacing back and forth.

"Then her handlers came out and covered her with an umbrella, she was ushered into a white vehicle and then took off."

However, US reports last night suggested Owen may have attempted suicide after a "vicious quarrel" with a mystery pal at home in Santa Monica, California.

Neighbour Geoffrey White said he had seen two men enter the star's house the previous evening and added: "Someone was with him before this happened. He wasn't alone."

Owen's friends claim he has been "depressed for months" and hinted his black moods may have sparked his break-up with Kate.

One said: "He's such a wonderful person, such a great guy, so smart and nice. We're just hoping he gets better."

Elder brother Andrew is thought to have found him on Sunday afternoon following the suicide scare.

Andrew, actor brother Luke, 35, and dad Robert have all visited him at Cedars-Sinai Medical Centre in Los Angeles, where he was said to be in "good" condition last night.

The drama has left shooting of Owen's two new films - Marley & Me, starring Jennifer Aniston, and Tropic Thunder with Jack Black - in chaos.

HILLBILLY HEROIN

Oxycodone - a powerful prescription-only painkiller used for terminally ill. Highly addictive. Is swallowed, snorted or injected

CRYSTAL METH

Highly addictive form of amphetamine, or speed, gives rapid high similar to crack, lasts two to 12 hours. Is usually smoked