princess

Oprah Winfrey

Geez, this is like an episode of Starter Wife :rolleyes: And that show was cancelled.....

And yeah - I don't write stuff down that would "destroy" my life. I don't take pictures of it either ;) [of course, I'm boring and don't HAVE any secrets that would destroy my life, so.....]

One of the TMZ guys was just commenting on their TV show that Oprah was taking Gayle around the world, no Steadman around. Harvey asked "Who takes their best friend around the world?" Hinting, are we, Harvey?

One of the TMZ guys was just commenting on their TV show that Oprah was taking Gayle around the world, no Steadman around. Harvey asked "Who takes their best friend around the world?" Hinting, are we, Harvey?

Well, if I had Oprah's money, I would take my best friend around the world. ;)

And her husband. And my husband. And as many of our friends & family as I could fit on that yacht :jumping1:

Okay ~ I'm going to be a lone voice in defending Oprah even if I only watch her show twice a year max and don't read the books she recommends nor do I buy the products she loves. I watch Grey's Anatomy where Christine and whats-her-face sleep in the bed and no one reacts to that but they sure react to it if it's about Oprah and Gayle!

I've always envied the women I know who have that one 'soul' sister they can trust to their grave. I've had good friends come and go but never what I think of as a 'soul' friendship. Within the large family I'm apart of, maybe two out of the 40 women within 3 generations has that and I actually think their marriages and lives are happier for it. They have their spats and disagreements but they are 'sisters' by choice and their bond is as strong as any two real (and close) sisters I've ever seen.

I always think back to how society embraced the Rat Pack with Sinatra and groups of guys like George Clooney & friends but the minute actresses or female celebs ever have close friends - well, oh my! Why do we do that? Just wondering . . . . . <_<

As for the diaries, if Steadman has never even seen them, then how would anyone else find them? I'm not sure I'm buying that story.

You make excellent points, kappy22. I have two "soul mate" girlfriends (who have never met because they don't live in the same city). I can and have travelled with each of them - one more than the other. I spent a week in England with one of them and we shared a room (and a bed because just try to find a room with two beds sometimes!). We marvel at how easy it is sometimes - to travel that way. This is partly because it's "girl" dynamics. We usually want the same things and we're not in competition with each other.

I think that because Oprah has never married, the MSM is looking to find some dirt somewhere. "Dirt" would be for her to be hiding that she's gay - the hypocrisy would be stunning for someone whose public persona seems to demand honesty and integrity.

But... if Oprah just never found "the one" before she was rich, then why bother once she realized she had her own power and her own money? If she truly was molested when she was a child, she may not want a man in her life that would be hard to disentangle herself from (marriage). She's got Stedman to sort of make her look legit (and they could be good friends, who knows?) Back when they got together, it was the thing to do to make things speculation-proof, regardless if she's gay or not.

It's funny - the MSM seems to be so liberal and yet with things like this, they turn into little old church ladies.

And I'm rambling.

And kappy22, there is still time to find that soul mate girlfriend. You never know when she'll walk into your life.

It's funny - the MSM seems to be so liberal

Men having sex with men? (Careful what abbreviations you use--I work in a field where MSM means exactly what I just typed)

I have a best friend and we've travelled together and shared a bed (not in a sexual way) and I completely understand that kind of friendship. If that's what Oprah & Gayle have, good for them. And if they have something more, I wish they'd be open about it.....

Whitney Houston ‘Lied to Oprah’

Whitney Houston’s exclusive interview with chat show queen Oprah Winfrey was full of lies — because the star was desperate to drum up sales for her new album, it has been claimed.

The pop superstar spoke with Oprah about her lengthy battle with drug addiction but insiders have told American tabloid the National Enquirer that Whitney’s appearance on the talk show was just a big publicity stunt.

“It looked like Whitney had been coached before she went on camera,” a source said. “She talked in an odd whisper and was tripping over her own lies.”

“Whitney’s interview with Oprah was just a fraud,” said another source. “I think Whitney was lying through her teeth.”

Atlanta-based body language expert Patti Wood, author of Success Signals: Understanding Body Language, told the Enquirer that Whitney’s bizarre response when Oprah asked if she was now drug-free was a dead giveaway that the Queen of The Night hitmaker wasn’t being truthful.

After blurting out “Yes, ma’am,” Whitney “paused significantly and her voice became stilted” in response to the question, Wood observed.

“She blinked her eyes, which means she went into a retreat mode,” Wood said. “And she balled her hands into fists and brought them to her chest as if she were beating herself up.

“She knew what she was saying was not the truth.”

Source showbizspy.com

Former flight attendant files suit vs. Winfrey

Gehrls says talk queen fired her after accusing her of having sex with pilot

updated 2:24 p.m. PT, Mon., Oct . 12, 2009

LOS ANGELES - Oprah Winfrey has another lawsuit on her hands.

According to court documents obtained by Access Hollywood, Corrine Gehrls — a former flight attendant on the talk show host’s private jet — says she was fired after being accused of having sex with chief pilot Terry Pansing in June. Gehrls has filed a federal lawsuit against Oprah’s production company denying the allegations.

In the suit, Gehrls claims that fellow flight attendant Myron Gooch and Kirby Bumpus — who is the daughter of Oprah’s best friend Gayle King and is the talk show host’s goddaughter — made false claims and defamatory accusations, which lead to her dismissal.

According to Gehrls, problems arose when Gooch became dissatisfied with the hours he was required to work, which were set by pilot Pansing.

“For an extended period of time, not less than several months, dissension arose and persisted among the Jet’s flight crew by virtue of Gooch’s resistance to the flight schedule set by Mr. Pansing,” the suit claimed. “When work schedules and assignments were not to Gooch’s liking, he either would refuse to adhere to them or insist to Mr. Pansing or Ms. Gehrls that Ms. Gehrls switch assignments with him or otherwise take his assignment.”

The suit goes on to claim that Harpo and Winfrey ignored Gooch’s work conduct.

“Winfrey and Harpo were made aware of the ongoing problems created by Gooch’s insubordinate attitude and demands,” the suit continued. “Winfrey ignored Gooch’s misconduct which would not have been tolerated of any other Jet employee.”

The suit claims Gooch devised a plan to get Gehrls and Pansing fired that involved Bumpus.

“Prior to July 5, 2009 Gooch approached Bumpus and prevailed upon her to join him in making of a false and defamatory report” the claim continued. “On about July 3, 2009 Gooch and Bumpus falsely told Winfrey and Harpo that on June 14, 2009 the passengers (of) which included Winfrey and Bumpus, Pansing and Gehrls had been observed having inappropriate intimate conduct outside the cockpit of the plane. At no time during that flight or at any other time had such conduct occurred. Indeed after the June 14 flight, Harpo rewarded Gehrls for her historic exemplary work with a paid two week Mediterranean cruise.”

Gehrls claims that the alleged sexual misconduct would have been impossible due to work being done on the plane at the time of the alleged incident.

“During that time, the new flight crew was replacing the prior flight crew. Because the plane was grounded, the curtain between the galley and the cockpit was open, thereby exposing any ‘inappropriate’ conduct to the view not only of the cabin but of the cockpit as well. It further would have been openly exposed to the oncoming crew. No one would engage in such conduct in plain view of one’s employer, fellow employees, and flight passengers. Nor could such conduct have been competently reported during the actual flight, because Bumpus, Winfrey and the other passengers of the June 14 crew (with the exception of the security officer) slept throughout the flight following their ingestion of sleeping pills,” the suit went on to claim.

Gehrls and Pansing were fired shortly after the sexual allegations were made against them, and not reinstated after they had both successfully passed polygraph tests.

During the polygraph test, Gehrls was asked a series of questions related to the alleged sexual misconduct, including, “Have you had sexual contact with Terry Pansing?” and “While on a Harpo jet, did you have sexual contact with Terry Pansing?” — all of which she answered, “no” to.

Gehrls is seeking more than $75,000 in damages from Harpo, Gooch and Bumpus.

When contacted by Access Hollywood, a rep for Harpo said, “We have not been served.”

Access has reached out to parties named in the lawsuit to clarify a possible incorrect date for Terry Pansing’s polygraph test. The date is listed as July 23, 2008, but is believed to be July 23, 2009.

Oprah Winfrey: 'Reading Was My Escape'

Oprah Winfrey has said that books were her escape as a child.

The talkshow host told Parade that it was literature that first showed her a world that existed outside her home.

Winfrey said: "I really had a faith in something bigger than myself. So I always knew from the time I was about 4 years old that the life I was living in rural Mississippi with my grandmother was not going to be my future.

"Don't ask me how I knew. I wasn't a dreamer as much as I was a reader. That allowed me to see from an early, early age that there was a world beyond my backyard, literally - there was a world bigger than I could imagine."

She added: "I'd never been anywhere any farther than the church that was down the road, which you could see from the front porch.

"I guess where the words took me was to let my imagination flow. When I was reading, that was my escape."

Source digitalspy.co.uk

OPRAH CRAZED BOOZE BINGES

Oprah Winfrey’s booze and drug binges have finally poisoned her relationship with Stedman Graham.

The ENQUIRER has learned that Stedman, 58, walked out on 55-year-old Oprah for good, and now she’s so worried he’ll spill her secrets that she’s ready to cough up $150 million to buy his silence, insiders say.

Not only that, sources say the once-invincible media mogul is struggling to overcome a moun­tain of personal and professional headaches.

“Oprah has not been THIS unhappy in a long time!” a close source divulged.

“She’s trying to hold herself together, but every day it seems like she gets hit with a new problem, and her world is collapsing around her.

“During their final blowup, Stedman told her she needed help, but Oprah told him he was seeing a problem that wasn’t there.

“Right now she’s in panic mode.

"She’s fearful Stedman could write a book and tell ALL her secrets. Oprah feels she needs to buy his silence and is willing to pay him $150 million!"

Clearly, I'm in the dark about Oprah. I've never heard about her having booze or drug problems.

I haven't either. I think (like me) she's all about the food. But it's the Enquirer.

OTOH, The Enquirer broke the John Edwards love baby story long before any other media outlets, sooo.... I guess we'll see.

I will say that during the Whitney Houston interview, she and Oprah talked about dealing with men and marriage when you're uber-successful, and it did make me think there was a Stedman story there that Whitney knows and we don't.

she s got enough money to buy off anyone. Just because we haven't heard rumors about drugs/booze doesn't mean there isn't anything there....she is just more discreet and private about things. Does her partying at home with only just trusted friends as a witness!!

OPRAH WARNS ROSIE O'D: LAY OFF THOSE GAY RUMORS!

A furious Oprah Winfrey has fired off a message of warning to Rosie O'Donnell - no more gay talk about her or BFF Gayle King.

Oprah became upset when she learned Rosie was once again spouting the old rumors that Oprah and Gayle are gay lovers.

While promoting her new satellite radio show, acid-tongued Rosie happily stoked the embers of speculation on Howard Stern's Oct. 26 radio show.

"I don't know that she and Gayle are necessarily doing each other," Rosie quipped to Stern, "but I think they are the emotional equivalent of…."

"A gay couple," the shock jock finished.

That was all raucous Rosie needed to shift into high gear.

"When they did that road trip, that's as gay as it gets," she responded, "and I don't mean it to be an insult, either. I'm just saying, listen, if you ask me, that's the couple."

After joining The View back in 2006, Rosie sparked controversy when she said the behavior of Oprah and her longtime best friend Gayle was "very typical of gay relationships."

When Oprah learned O'Donnell was again playing the gay card, she became enraged.

"Oprah exploded when she heard Rosie was again talking trash about her and Gayle," a close source told The ENQUIRER.

"Oprah was so furious she had a warning message sent to Rosie.

"She is making it very clear to her not to use her to promote her new radio show - and further, never again does she want to hear that Rosie is raising the gay thing about her and Gayle.

"Oprah has gone out of her way to say repeatedly that they are just good friends and are not gay."

Rosie came out of the closet as a lesbian in 2002, two months before her long-running syndicated TV talk show went off the air. She legally married longtime lover Kelli Carpenter, but the two have since split, as The ENQUIRER was the first to reveal.

Oprah is critical of Rosie because Rosie's TV show began in 1996, but the so-called "Queen of Nice" took six years before telling the truth about her sexual orientation.

"Oprah said if she were gay, she would say so," said the source.

"She not only supports the gay community, but she also has many friends and employees who are gay.

"Oprah hopes that her words of warning get back to Rosie. Oprah snapped, 'I don't want to hear it any more!'"

WHOOPS!

1) I think it's wrong (but everyone does it...) to make inflammatory remarks about Oprah to publicize your own [insert whatever you want attention on]

2) I agree with Rosie that the relationship OPrah & Gail have does seem like a couple (gay OR straight) that's been together forever

3) Why does it bother Oprah so much? Do you think it's because of the "gay" angle, or because Rosie is publicizing her own talk show at Oprah's expense? See - I think that's the more heinous crime in OPes' eyes......

Oprah Winfrey-Sarah Palin interview for 'Going Rogue' shows TV hostess who's a master of her craft

David Hinckley

Tuesday, November 17th 2009

It’s never been clearer how Oprah Winfrey got to be America’s First Hostess of Television than it was when she chatted with Sarah Palin yesterday.

For Palin, this was the start of a week-long mission behind enemy lines. She’s talking with people, like Oprah, who mostly didn’t want her to become vice president. She’s in a forum, the “liberal media,” that she needs her supporters to keep mistrusting.

Oprah, in turn, played the good hostess. She tried to make her guest comfortable. She kept the conversation focused mostly on “Going Rogue,” the new book Palin is promoting. She steered away from areas of potential personal disagreement.

All that meant she also steered away from news, and she didn’t end up with any.

So the room wasn’t as chilly as the rooms where Palin talked last year with Katie Couric, pointedly ID’d as “the perky one.”

When Oprah warms to a guest, she’s less apt to start questions before an answer is over. She makes you think she wants the interview to last forever. With Palin, Oprah was doing everything but glancing at her watch.

And all that was fine. In some ways, we trust a detached conversation more than we trust a gush-fest with Tom Cruise, where the only question is whether Oprah will run out of superlatives before the hour is over.

It also can serve the guest better, except all we really needed to know about Palin’s interview is this: If she were Jack Kemp, Lloyd Bentsen or, yes, Geraldine Ferraro, it never would have happened.

She wasn’t interviewed as a vice-presidential candidate. She was interviewed as a celebrity.

When she’s selling a candidacy, she goes to different turf.

For all the noise, yesterday’s interview was routine celebrity television. But the session did make it clear that Palin and her people were smart to do Oprah first.

If Oprah can be ideologically cool, she’s still professional.

When the party’s over, everyone leaves alive.

It’s the signature of a great hostess. On television or off.

source: http://www.nydailynews.com

NOVEMBER 19, 2009, 6:30 PM

Oprah Winfrey to End Her Talk Show

The New York Times

By BRIAN STELTER AND BILL CARTER

The media mogul Oprah Winfrey will end her daytime talk show, “The Oprah Winfrey Show,” in 2011 as she prepares to start a cable channel of her own.

Larry Downing/Reuters Oprah Winfrey will end her talk show in 2011.

A spokeswoman for Ms. Winfrey’s production company, Harpo, confirmed Thursday evening that Ms. Winfrey would make an announcement on her show on Friday. The plans were first reported by WABC, the ABC station in New York City.

“The sun will set on the Oprah show as its 25th season draws to a close on Sept. 9, 2011,” Tim Bennett, the president of Harpo, said in a message to affiliates.

After her broadcast talk show winds down, Ms. Winfrey will concentrate on her coming cable channel, OWN: The Oprah Winfrey Network. OWN will have its premiere in January 2011, according to a person with knowledge of Ms. Winfrey’s decision who insisted on anonymity.

Ms. Winfrey, 55, informed her talk show staff of her decision on Thursday afternoon. The television world had expected that she would make a decision about the fate of her program by the end of the year.

Ms. Winfrey told her staffers that she will not transfer the show to cable. She is expected to produce new programs for OWN, and may appear on some of them.

In a statement, CBS Television Distribution said, “We have the greatest respect for Oprah and wish her nothing but the best in her future endeavors. We know that anything she turns her hand to will be a great success. We look forward to working with her for the next several years, and hopefully afterwards as well.”

OWN is a joint venture between her production company and Discovery Communications. Getting the channel off the ground has proved challenging amid management turnover and an uncertain advertising climate.

The timeline for OWN will theoretically give Ms. Winfrey about nine months to promote her cable channel on her existing show.

Sometimes called the Queen of Talk, Forbes estimates Ms. Winfrey’s net worth to be $2.7 billion. “The Oprah Winfrey Show” is the most successful talk show in syndication, reaching about seven million viewers a day. It has been vital to the success of ABC, whose local station group has been the primary home of the show since it started in syndication in 1986.

Edited by k80cat

Sarah Palin's plug interview for 'Going Rogue' wins 'The Oprah Winfrey Show' best ratings since 2007

Sarah Palin’s interview with Oprah Winfrey Monday won the talk show queen her highest ratings in two years.

The former GOP vice presidential candidate and Alaska governor appeared on “The Oprah Winfrey Show” to plug her new memoir “Going Rogue” and discussed the brouhaha over Winfrey’s decision not to interview her during the 2008 presidential campaign.

Winfrey was a vocal supporter of Barack Obama.

Monday’s episode featuring Palin drew an 8.7 household rating and 13 share – the highest ratings for Winfrey since she hosted the entire Osmond family in 2007, according to TV by the Numbers, a media site that tracks network ratings.

Palin also topped this year’s much-hyped Whitney Houston appearance.

Winfrey began the interview by asking the maverick-turned-memoirist if she’d felt snubbed over not being invited on the show last year.

She didn’t.

"No offense to you, but it wasn't the center of my universe," she said.

From Kitty Kelley, an Oprah Tell-All

Compiled by FELICIA R. LEE

Published: January 22, 2010

Oprah Winfrey, right, is the latest subject for Kitty Kelley, known for her often unflattering, dishy and best-selling celebrity biographies. Crown Publishers announced this week that Ms. Kelley‘s 544-page unauthorized “Oprah: A Biography,” will be released on April 13, The Associated Press reported. The first printing will be at least 500,000 copies. Ms. Kelley has written books about Frank Sinatra, Nancy Reagan and the Bush family. She conducted 850 interviews for the book, the publisher said, and Ms. Kelley said she spent the last three years combing through Ms. Winfrey’s life, according to The A.P. Ms. Kelley said she was “full of admiration for her accomplishments and fascinated by her complexity.”

NY Times

I wonder if KK will go into the gay rumors, or a possible Scientology connection.

Oprah Winfrey ordered to stand trial in case linked to sex-abuse scandal at her all-girls school

PHILADELPHIA -- Media mogul Oprah Winfrey is expected to spend two weeks defending herself at trial in a defamation case linked to the sex-abuse scandal at her girls school in South Africa.

A federal judge this week refused to dismiss the suit filed by Winfrey's ex-headmistress, paving the way for a March 29 trial in Philadelphia.

The billionaire talk show host, as a named defendant, must be in court and has rearranged her TV production schedule to do so, her lawyers said in a recent court filing. She also appears likely to be called as a witness.

After the abuse complaints surfaced in 2007, Winfrey said she had "lost confidence" in headmistress Nomvuyo Mzamane and was "cleaning house from top to bottom."

A dorm matron who worked under Mzamane was later charged in South Africa with abusing six students.

The judge found that Winfrey made both Mzamane and the dorm parents appear "culpable" by telling parents, "I'm going to find a new head of the academy for the school. ... Dorm parents are gone, (Mzamane) is gone."

The statement suggests Mzamane had a role in the mistreatment of the students, "which clearly would tend to 'blacken' plaintiff's reputation or injure her in her profession," U.S. District Judge Eduardo Robreno wrote in a 128-page opinion issued Monday.

Winfrey was in South Africa on Tuesday visiting the Oprah Winfrey Leadership Academy for Girls, near Johannesburg, according to her production company, Harpo Productions. She opened the $40 million school for impoverished girls amid great fanfare in January 2007 and recruited Mzamane, a Lesotho native, from a private school in Philadelphia.

Winfrey's lawyers sought to dismiss the suit on grounds the remarks she made at an Oct. 20, 2007 meeting with parents and at a Nov. 5, 2007 press conference reflected only her opinions.

But Robreno said a listener could infer she based the comments on facts gleaned from the school's internal investigation.

Winfrey herself acknowledged the power of her words when she said in a deposition that she thought only two people - President Barack Obama and his wife Michelle - wield more influence in the media, Mzamane's lawyers said in a brief.

"Oprah and Harpo await the opportunity to present the case in court," her lawyer, Chip Babcock of Houston, said Tuesday in a statement issued through Harpo, which is also a named defendant.

In a brief filed Friday, Winfrey's lawyers wrote that any damage Mzamane suffered was by her own conduct, "including presiding over a school where serious allegations of child abuse were made against the dorm parents."

Babcock successfully defended Winfrey in a 1998 libel trial in Texas, when cattle ranchers sued her and a vegetarian activist over a talk-show segment on mad cow disease. A disgusted Winfrey famously swore off hamburgers in the episode.

She spent six weeks in Amarillo for the trial, sometimes filming her daily show from the Texas Panhandle.

Winfrey's lawyers tried to move the pending defamation trial to Chicago, where her show is based, but Robreno said it could be tried in Pennsylvania, where Mzamane lived when she filed suit in 2008 and where her reputation is perhaps most relevant. Mzamane is seeking more than $250,000.

"Winfrey indicted Ms. Mzamane for creating an atmosphere where the students' voices were silenced," Mzamane's lawyers said in their brief. "Simply put, the only reasonable inference to be drawn from the press conference was that Ms. Mzamane was let go because, at best, she disregarded claims of sexual abuse at (the school)."

Mzamane previously worked at the Germantown Friends School in Philadelphia and returned to the area when Winfrey declined to renew her $150,000-a-year contract in December 2007. She said she could not find work afterward, but apparently took a job at another school in South Africa in September 2008, according to court documents.

Her lawyer, Timothy McGowan, said he was ready for trial but otherwise declined comment.

Winfrey's school now has about 330 students.

Forbes magazine listed Winfrey's net worth last year at $2.7 billion.

Oprah Winfrey snags Rielle Hunter interview

Oprah Winfrey has landed the first televised interview with Rielle (ree-EHL') Hunter since former presidential candidate John Edwards first admitted two years ago that he had an affair with Hunter.

Harpo Productions said Tuesday that Hunter will appear on The Oprah Winfrey Show on an unspecified date.

GQ magazine last month published the first interview with Hunter in which she addressed the scandal. She told the magazine the affair ended in July 2008 and that the relationship is now something "different." She didn't say whether they are still romantically involved but said Edwards wants to be there for their 2-year-old daughter.

Edwards admitted in January that he is the girl's father after initially denying it. He and his wife, Elizabeth Edwards, are now separated.

source: http://sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/n.../e094302D87.DTL

Oprah Winfrey Responds to 'So-Called Biography'

By Diane Clehane

Monday April 19, 2010 05:50 PM EDT

people.com

Oprah Winfrey made her first public remarks about Kitty Kelly's controversial new book about her, deriding it as a "so-called biography."

Winfrey spoke Monday at The New York Women in Communications Matrix Awards, where she presented an award to pal Gayle King.

Winfrey skipped the red carpet but wasted no time when she took the stage bashing Kelly's book, which includes reports the daytime diva abused drugs and questions the extent of Winfrey's longtime claim of being sexually abused as a child.

Winfrey described King as a friend who "sometimes cares about my life more than I do," and told the audience last week "was a rough one" for King when a "so-called biography came out."

"Gayle got herself worked out with all my new daddies coming out," said Winfrey of Kelly's claims in the book that Vernon Winfrey is not her biological father.

While the audience responded with loud applause, Winfrey smiled and concluded, "This, too, shall pass."

Praising King before presenting her with her award, Winfrey thanked her longtime confidante for teaching her "what true love really is." Winfrey described King as "her best friend who always wants the best for me" adding, "She's never been jealous or envious of me a single moment of my life except when I was on stage singing with Tina Turner."

Oprah Winfrey Responds to 'So-Called Biography'

By Diane Clehane

Monday April 19, 2010 05:50 PM EDT

While the audience responded with loud applause, Winfrey smiled and concluded, "This, too, shall pass."

Praising King before presenting her with her award, Winfrey thanked her longtime confidante for teaching her "what true love really is." Winfrey described King as "her best friend who always wants the best for me" adding, "She's never been jealous or envious of me a single moment of my life except when I was on stage singing with Tina Turner."

The "this too shall pass" line is good-dignified and dismissive.

However-the last quotation in the article makes me say WTF-way to dispel those gay rumors, O-um, not.

(not that there's anything wrong with that :1smile: )