princess

Oprah Winfrey

Why on would she want that job? The present administration will be leaving a huge mess for someone else to clean up.

Rosie To O: Admit It, Already!

Posted Sep 20th 2006 12:41PM by TMZ Staff

Filed under: TV, Oprah, Celebrity Feuds

Rosie O'Donnell trained her gaydar on Oprah Winfrey and her BFF Gayle King on "The View," saying that the talk-show queen and her BFF Gayle King are, despite their protestations to the contrary and despite their not being full-blown lovers, "a tiny bit gay." As the denizens of "The View" mused about Oprah and Gayle's cross-country trip, as chronicled on Oprah's season premiere Monday, Rosie turned her attention to the pair. Her assessment? "You might be a little bit gay, you're just not doin' it," she said of O and G, explaining that an absence of sex wouldn't preclude the pair from sharing in a certain sapphic satisfaction.

Whether or not she's pushing Oprah and Gayle towards an admission, Rosie also said that she thinks everyone could be "a tiny bit gay." Needless to say, her cohort and sparring partner Elisabeth Hasselbeck does not.

A call to Oprah's rep at Harpo Productions was not returned. And Rosie, on her blog yesterday, lavished praise on Oprah and the premiere, saying that she was "brilliant," "beautiful," and "something else all [sic] together."

TMZ

Oprah Seeks To Avoid 2008 Draft

Talk show host threatens legal action over fan's campaign

If nominated, Oprah Winfrey will serve...a cease and desist letter. Lawyers for the talk show host are threatening legal action against a retired Kansas City teacher who has mounted a one-man campaign urging the star to run for president in 2008. The entertainer does not want Patrick Crowe, 69, to use her name and image, according to a letter from Winfrey attorney Jerry Glover, a copy of which you'll find below. Through counsel, Winfrey contends that Crowe's use of the Oprah name "falsely implies" that she and her firm, Harpo, Inc., sponsor or endorse the campaign. Along with a self-published book urging a Winfrey White House bid, Crowe has established a web site--Oprah08.net--to push her candidacy. Crowe, a fan who believes a future Winfrey campaign would change the face of American politics, also drives a 1959 Ford with the license plate OPRAH8 and maintains a toll-free hotline, 1-866-OPRAH-08. Though he sells his book ($29.47), an Oprah for President t-shirt ($22.47), and buttons and bumper stickers, Crowe says that his effort is not a for-profit one. To date, he estimates, the Winfrey undertaking has cost him about $65,000.

ohnotheydidnt

oprah for president website

Oprah Hits Airwaves, Not Campaign Trail

E! Online

Today the airwaves, tomorrow the free world?

No, if Oprah Winfrey has anything to say about it. Yes, if Patrick Crowe does.

On the same day that the multimedia maven expanded her empire by launching a channel on XM Satellite Radio, the first lady of daytime spoke out on a retired Missouri teacher's increasingly litigious campaign to get Winfrey to run for president.

Oprah and Friends, kicking off Monday, was first announced last February in a three-year $55 million deal between the mogul and XM Satellite Radio.

The channel follows an all Oprah, all the time format, featuring the anchor program, The Oprah and Gayle Show, along with shows by personalities that frequent her TV show.

Cohosted by Winfrey's best friend Gayle King, The Oprah and Gayle Show will feature the close--but not that close--twosome dishing on news and gossip and will air nightly.

"For me, being a part of XM Radio is a full-circle moment because I started out in radio when I was 16 years old, and now I'm able to share the airwaves with my friends," Winfrey said on Good Morning America Monday.

Winfrey described her show with King as simply a chat with her best friend that would let listeners feel like a fly on the wall.

"That's my come-down time," she said of her nightly calls with King, who echoed the sentiment.

"I've had five therapists, and nobody has been better than her," the sidekick said.

Oprah's BFF will also be pulling double-duty on the channel, hosting a solo chatfest, the imaginatively titled Gayle King Show, whose inaugural guests were slated to be--surprise, surprise--Winfrey and her longtime boyfriend, Steadman Graham.

Joining in the onair party will be such recognizable guests on The Oprah Winfrey Show as Maya Angelou, finance expert Jean Chatzky and fitness buff Bob Greene.

Several other high-profile pals have also signed on to appear in the coming weeks, including Annette Bening, Julia Louis-Dreyfus, Jon Bon Jovi, Donald Trump and New York Times columnist Tom Friedman.

One man who likely won't get an invitation: Patrick Crowe.

The retired Missouri math teacher has launched a presidential campaign encouraging the public to vote Oprah. The only problem: Winfrey's not running and her lawyers aren't pleased.

Attorneys for the media maven sent a cease-and-desist letter to Crowe Aug. 22, demanding that he remove Winfrey's picture from his site, www.oprah08.net, and his forthcoming book, saying his overzealous support violates trademark and copyright infringements.

Still, more than a month later, Crowe has not complied.

"It has become increasingly serious to me," he told the Kansas City Star of his frustration with the current administration and desire to see it replaced. "I know Oprah can do better than that."

As for her lack of formal qualifications, Crowe doesn't see it as an issue.

"This is not the girl you want to mess with. I think she'd be very good at it."

Of course, should she ever decide to run for office, she's already getting plenty of practice with diplomacy.

"I feel flattered by it," Winfrey told the Associated Press of Crowe's unbridled--and unsoliticited--backing. "My lawyers overreacted, I think, by sending him a cease-and-desist order because it really is a flattering thing."

Of course, no campaign is complete without its share of paraphernalia, and the Oprah '08 campaign has plenty.

In addition to hawking T-shirts, buttons and "Run, Oprah, Run" bumper stickers, visitors of Crowe's Website can also listen to the official campaign song, "If Oprah Was President," with the chorus:

"Oprah has charisma/Oprah's got style/Oprah loves the red, white and blue/And I believe there's problems that Oprah could solve/On Pennsylvania Avenue."

Catchy for sure, though unlikely to crack the rotation on XM.

I think the headline sensationalizes the story a bit:

Oprah Lords Over White Folk, Talks Poop on XM

Posted Sep 25th 2006 1:52PM by TMZ Staff

Filed under: Oprah

If it wasn't already totally evident that Oprah Winfrey can talk about anything for any length of time, her debut today on her own XM Radio channel just confirmed it. The talk-show queen gabbed with her best pal Gayle King (who called her, inexplicably, "Mommy") on what is nominally King's show on "Oprah & Friends," the satellite channel that launched today.

Among many, many other things, Oprah talked about her humble beginnings in Mississippi, and particularly about how her mother's highest aspiration for her was that she might end up cleaning white people's houses, because "they give away nice clothes." And then Oprah pointed out that now that she's Oprah, she has "all these white people" working for her, and that in fact there's only one black person on the staff. Way to turn the tables, girl.

Finally -- and this was just in the first fifteen minutes -- Oprah moved onto her most recent favorite topic, excrement. O assured Gayle that the reason she doesn't have children wasn't that she can't deal with poo, or "pooty," as the pair called it. For this -- and whatever follows -- is what XM is paying Oprah $55 million over the next three years.

TMZ

And, I watched her show on weight loss, and she had several black people on the staff, as they were part of her staffers selected to train with her...so either this article isn't entirely true, she's making shit up, or she fired them.

It really bugs me when she continually brings up race. It's the zero's for heaven's sake. I know that race is still an issue in some places, but you'd think she'd try to set an example of just being instead of constantly going back to it. I really thought we were evolving.

The Oprah empire goes into orbit

By DAVID HINCKLEY

DAILY NEWS STAFF WRITER

The Oprah Winfrey train - in terms of media impact, it might be more properly called a steamroller - added another stop to its route yesterday: XM Satellite Radio.

"Oprah and Friends" is a 2-4/7 channel designed to "carry on a conversation" about nutrition, fitness, self-improvement, spirituality, celebrities, relationships, home decorating, books, current events and the other topics that have made Winfrey's TV show a modern institution.

For XM, the show is a three-year, $55 million investment in one of America's best-known pop-culture brands.

"Oprah has tremendous appeal to women," said XM CEO Hugh Panero during the unveiling of the channel yesterday at the Rainbow Room. "And women are an increasingly important part of the satellite-radio market as we move toward becoming a mainstream medium."

Winfrey herself will co-host a one-hour weekly show with her symbiotic friend Gayle King. "The Oprah and Gayle Show" will take a "fly-on-the-wall" approach, said Winfrey, letting the listener drop in on a "typical" free-roaming conversation between the two friends.

A new "Oprah and Gayle" will air Thursdays at 10 a.m., with 14 repeats.

Multiple repeats will be the rule on "Oprah and Friends," which plans to start with 25 hours of original shows a week.

Four hosts will do one-hour shows each weekday: King, financial expert Jean Chatzky (who also writes a column for the Daily News), cardiologist Dr. Mehmet Oz and psychologist Robin Smith.

Five other hosts (in addition to Winfrey and King) will do one-hour shows once a week: spiritual teacher Marianne Williamson, decorator Nate Berkus, fitness expert Bob Greene and writer Maya Angelou.

Angelou didn't attend yesterday's kickoff at the 65th-floor venue "because she doesn't do elevators," said Winfrey. But Oprah provided long, glowing introductions for all the "friends," with notations on how they have scored with their own books and/or products.

"Oprah loves to help people," said Smith. "That's what she's about and why it's an honor to be associated with this group."

The content of all programs on the channel, said Smith, "will be wholesome. When you want women to listen, it's important that they can leave this channel on when the kids are in the car."

Winfrey's Harpo Productions runs the channel, something Oprah said yesterday is essential. "I have to have that freedom," she said. "I earned it."

She also said the most important element of her ever-growing media empire is where the money goes after she's made it.

"It all comes back to the philanthropy," she said. "Helping save children in Africa is the greatest thing I've ever done."

Originally published on September 26, 2006

Oprah Admits Presidential "Overreaction"

Oprah Winfrey has accused her lawyers of "overreacting" by slamming a cease-and-desist order on the man championing her for US presidency. The chat show queen had been tipped to be America's first female leader, and even inspired Kansas City businessman Patrick Crowe to write a book backing her bid, called Oprah For President: Run Oprah Run. However, lawyers for the TV star have asked Crowe to halt production on the project, as well as a website, saying its contents could cause "damage and irreparable injury" to Winfrey's reputation. Now Winfrey admits the affair could have been handled much better with a simple phone call, and insists she's not angry with Crowe at all. She says, "I feel flattered by it. My lawyers overreacted, I think, by sending him a cease-and-desist order because it really is a flattering thing. It should have been handled in a phone call."

Winfrey Collapses from Heat Exhaustion

Talk show giant Oprah Winfrey collapsed from heat exhaustion during a recent visit to her hometown of Kosciusko, Mississippi. The 52-year-old was in town for the opening ceremony of Oprah Winfrey Boys & Girls Club, when temperatures pushing 100 degrees Fahrenheit and high humidity caused her to feel unwell. An onlooker tells US publication National Enquirer, "Just as Oprah was about to cut the ribbon, she collapsed. She was getting dizzier and dizzier, she started sweating profusely and her vision became blurred. Her knees were buckling under her and she nearly blacked out. Oprah quickly stepped back and found a seat. She tried to revive herself by putting cool compresses on her head and drinking liquids. Oprah made light of the situation, telling everyone it was due to the heat."

Posted Image

Activist and rock singer Bono, with help from Oprah Winfrey and other celebrities, is partnering with Apple Computer on a red-colored iPod to promote his new charity aimed at battling AIDS, AppleInsider has learned.

Both the U2 frontman and the famed talk show host will publicly unveil the new "iPod nano Red" -- a 4GB version of Apple's second-generation iPod nano in a red anodized aluminum enclosure -- on national television this friday.

The two celebrities swung by Apple's North Michigan Ave. retail store in Chicago, Ill. on Thursday afternoon to film a promotional segment for the cause, which will air on tomorrow's edition of the "The Oprah Winfrey Show."

Apple, which has agreed to price the player inline with its existing 4GB iPod nano models at $199, will donate $10 from the sale of each unit to the PRODUCT RED charity.

Created by Bono and Bobby Shriver, Chairman of DATA, the charity aims to raise awareness and money for The Global Fund by teaming up with the world's most iconic brands to produce PRODUCT RED branded products.

Proceeds from the sale of each PRODUCT RED product are donated to The Global Fund, where it goes to help women and children affected by HIV/AIDS in Africa.

Rumors of a red-colored iPod first surfaced when a note in the Jan. 20, 2006 edition of the popular celebrity gossip newsletter stated that Bono was overheard at Dublin's Michelin-starred Patrick Guilbaud restaurant "discussing a new charity red AmEx card and red iPod."

Other companies that have so far stepped up with PRODUCT RED offerings include the Gap, American Express, Armani, Converse, and Motorola.

appleinsider.com

Oprah has always denied having any work done, but could someone please explain this neater little NOSE she has now compared to the one in the movie Color Purple???

Oprah Gives Audience Members Debit Cards

Oprah Winfrey has famously given members of her audience new cars, paid off their debts and fulfilled their wildest dreams. Now she's given them what she calls the "gift of giving back."

On a show that aired Monday, Winfrey gave more than 300 audience members $1,000 debit cards sponsored by the Bank of America to donate to a charitable cause.

Winfrey called the show her "favorite giveaway ever."

"I can honestly say that every gift I've ever given has brought at least as much happiness to me as it has to the person I've given it to," the 52-year-old talk-show host said. "That's the feeling I want to pass on to you."

People can give the entire sum to one person _ relatives aren't eligible _ or they can split it among charitable causes. Audience members also received a DVD recorder to tape their stories for a future show.

"You're going to open your hearts, you're going to be really creative, and you're going to spend it all at once on one stranger or spend a dollar on every person," Winfrey said. "Imagine the love and kindness you can spread with $1,000."

Oprah's Grand

Audience members handed $1,000 each - to give away

BY CORKY SIEMASZKO

DAILY NEWS STAFF WRITER

Instead of Pontiacs or vacations in Paris, Oprah Winfrey yesterday gave her fans a gift that's supposed to keep on giving - to somebody else.

The daytime TV queen, who has become famous for showering audience members with expensive gifts, gave $1,000 debit cards to more than 300 people.

But the gifts came with a hitch - the money has to go to the recipients' favorite charities. And they can't declare themselves a charity or spend it on a relative.

"You're going to open your hearts, you're going to be really creative, and you're going to spend it all at once on one stranger or spend a dollar on every person," Winfrey said.

And they're going to record it for posterity - not to mention a future show - with a brand-new DVD recorder, courtesy of Oprah.

"Imagine the love and kindness you can spread with $1,000," Winfrey said. "I can honestly say that every gift I've ever given has brought at least as much happiness to me as it has to the person I've given it to. That's the feeling I want to pass on to you."

Bank of America funded the debit cards, and the lucky fans can give the entire sum to one person or split it among causes.

"It's considered income for the recipient," said Angela DePaul, a Harpo Productions spokeswoman. "But they have to document how they're spending [it]."

Winfrey called the cards her "favorite giveaway ever." The audience broke into wild applause when the cards were handed out.

Two years ago, Winfrey stunned her audience by giving all 276 people in her studio a brand-new 2005 Pontiac G6, each worth $28,000. Totaling $7.7 million, it may have been the costliest mass giveaway ever on TV.

On other shows, Winfrey has given away dream vacations, new houses - and even paid off the debts of some lucky fans.

Originally published on October 31, 2006

Oprah Not Invited To Tomkat Wedding

Posted: November 14, 2006 Filed under: Oprah , TomKat

We are in complete shock that the queen of talk isn’t invited to the Tomkat wedding extravaganza. Oprah tells Extra's Aj Calloway, "It's not that I'm not going. It's that they had a limited number of people that they could invite. I was not one the invitees. That's fine. I don't get invited to everyone's wedding. I don't invite them to everything I do. But I wish them the best."

She continues, "I have a great deal of regard for their relationship and so I'm trying to think of what to get them."

When asked what she'll get the couple, she says, "I don't know! I was thinking … I'm easier (to shop for) – you can get me a bubble bath I'm okay – but I don't know what to give them. "

The segment is set to air tonight on the show. Hasn’t Tom invited the entire world to his wedding including every citizen in Italy? We are pretty sure the couch-jumping incident, which gave Tom a bad name, could be a factor. What would a wedding be without the Queen of talk? No worries Oprah, we would love to have you at our weddings when the time comes!

oh please. Tommy didn't invite oprah to his wedding because - only after realizing she lost credibility for pretending to accept Tom's couch jumping, fist pumping routine as genuine - Oprah later stated that she "was not buying" his declarations of love. This obviously annoyed Tommy so now in retaliation he didn't invite Oprah to his make-believe nuptials.

And, since when have Jim Carey and Tommy been close?

oh please. Tommy didn't invite oprah to his wedding because - only after realizing she lost credibility for pretending to accept Tom's couch jumping, fist pumping routine as genuine - Oprah later stated that she "was not buying" his declarations of love. This obviously annoyed Tommy so now in retaliation he didn't invite Oprah to his make-believe nuptials.

And, since when have Jim Carey and Tommy been close?

I totally agree on that Oprah bit. That's exactly why she didnt' get invited. I think they had this in Italy so they could use the excuse that it was a VERY private wedding, because if they held it in the LA Scientology Center, I don't think many Hollywood types would go.

I was wondering if Tom offered Carey a movie or something...otherwise, WHY would he come? He doesn't need the exposure or the money.

Edited by mf'smom

50 Cent's Worth

OPRAH Winfrey is really an Oreo - black on the outside but white on the inside, according to 50 Cent. In the January issue of Elle, the rapper says Winfrey "started out with black women's views but has been catering to middle-aged white American women for so long that she's become one herself. I think the idea of being publicly noted that she's a billionaire makes [black women] interested in seeing her views. But it's even more exciting to the demographic of white American women she's been aiming at to see that she has the exact same views that they have."

50 Cent's Worth

OPRAH Winfrey is really an Oreo - black on the outside but white on the inside, according to 50 Cent. In the January issue of Elle, the rapper says Winfrey "started out with black women's views but has been catering to middle-aged white American women for so long that she's become one herself. I think the idea of being publicly noted that she's a billionaire makes [black women] interested in seeing her views. But it's even more exciting to the demographic of white American women she's been aiming at to see that she has the exact same views that they have."

That is one of the dumbest comments I have ever heard. If anything, middle-aged American women are adopting Oprah's views and not the other way around.

She was in Atlanta for a weekend or so a year ago, and a radio station had snuck a microphone into the dinner where she was attending. Interestingly, a young African-American college student woman thanked her for her dedication to reading. And so began, a very long, long conversation that Oprah had about African-American literature.

The thing about 50 Cent, I feel, is that he just perpetuates a negative African-American stereotype. You know what? I don't want to go to The Candy Shop. I want to read Their Eyes Were Watching God or The Color Purple or listen to Billie Holiday or John Legend or anything else!

Frankly, Oprah chooses not to have you on her show because you're a misogynistic jackass who's obsessed with jewellry and exploiting young women to appear in your videos. Not to say all rap is bad, but ever since P. Diddy/Diddy/Puff Daddy/Puff'n'Stuff commercialized the music to such an extent, it seems to have lost all its credibility. I put it in the same league as all that trash that's on MTV now.

I like Kanye West (I know he's freaking insane), but he raps about real things: dropping out of college, pursuing your dreams, etc.

INTERESTING NOTE: I'm channel surfing, and EVERY CHANNEL below 15 is currently showing Oprah. Very, very weird. Seriously, every channel is The Oprah Winfrey Show. Weird. :ph34r:

50 Cent's Worth

That is one of the dumbest comments I have ever heard. If anything, middle-aged American women are adopting Oprah's views and not the other way around.

She was in Atlanta for a weekend or so a year ago, and a radio station had snuck a microphone into the dinner where she was attending. Interestingly, a young African-American college student woman thanked her for her dedication to reading. And so began, a very long, long conversation that Oprah had about African-American literature.

The thing about 50 Cent, I feel, is that he just perpetuates a negative African-American stereotype. You know what? I don't want to go to The Candy Shop. I want to read Their Eyes Were Watching God or The Color Purple or listen to Billie Holiday or John Legend or anything else!

Frankly, Oprah chooses not to have you on her show because you're a misogynistic jackass who's obsessed with jewellry and exploiting young women to appear in your videos. Not to say all rap is bad, but ever since P. Diddy/Diddy/Puff Daddy/Puff'n'Stuff commercialized the music to such an extent, it seems to have lost all its credibility. I put it in the same league as all that trash that's on MTV now.

I like Kanye West (I know he's freaking insane), but he raps about real things: dropping out of college, pursuing your dreams, etc.

INTERESTING NOTE: I'm channel surfing, and EVERY CHANNEL below 15 is currently showing Oprah. Very, very weird. Seriously, every channel is The Oprah Winfrey Show. Weird. :ph34r:

I think the sad thing about this guy is that he is just what the black culture should NOT want to be, uneducated and crass. I looked at his lyrics, using the n-word that whites cannot use all over the place, calling woman whores, talking about being rich and taking drugs. And you're good 50 cent and Oprah is bad?

Oprah is a strong, well spoken black woman who doesn't resort to ebonics to get her point across. If she doesn't act like a rapper she's a sellout? No she's a huge success. I agree Babloo, mainstream white woman are respecting and following Oprah, not the other way around. She's made people broader minded, brought many things to the middle America's attention and and I think she is the most powerful woman ever, no matter her color. People listen to her because they respect her, not because of her money or her color.

O No He Din't: Foxx Makes Oprah-Gayle Crack

Posted Dec 5th 2006 8:14AM by TMZ Staff

Oprah Winfrey will not be amused at Jamie Foxx's recent riff on those Oprah - BFF Gayle King gay-love rumors (which the friends have studiously and repeatedly denied).

At a tribute to Will Smith on Sunday, as Rush and Molloy report, Foxx told Will, "I was talking about you the other day. I was laying in bed with Oprah, and I turn over to Gayle and I say, 'You know what?'" The "howls" of laughter muffled the kicker line, but the damage was done. Foxx says he hopes Bravo cuts the joke from its broadcast.

Meanwhile, Gayle King wants everyone to know that she was not talking about Oprah the other day on her XM Radio show when she was talking about her "closest friends" using the N-word. "I was not talking about Oprah, Stedman [Graham] or Maya [Angelou]," said King to Page Six. "People act like I have no other friends than Oprah ... I no longer think that [using the N-word] is a good thing." Gayle adds that she's "mortified" by the mini flap.

Meanwhile, Gayle King wants everyone to know that she was not talking about Oprah the other day on her XM Radio show when she was talking about her "closest friends" using the N-word. "I was not talking about Oprah, Stedman [Graham] or Maya [Angelou]," said King to Page Six. "People act like I have no other friends than Oprah ... I no longer think that [using the N-word] is a good thing." Gayle adds that she's "mortified" by the mini flap.

The end of that quote-I love--is that Maya will kick you out of her house if you use that word.....

Oprah Doesn't Make the TomKat Cut -- Again

tmz.com

So TomKat, like a lot of couples who get married somewhere far-off and exotic, want to celebrate their union a little closer to home with, well, the junior varsity portion of their friends. And, reports Us Weekly, they're having a bash this Saturday at the home of Tom's producing partner Paula Wagner. But guess who isn't coming to dinner even the second time? Oprah --or so her rep says. Arnold Robinson, Cruise's rep, confirms the party, and says it's "for friends (who) were not able attend the wedding in Italy."