Sign in to follow this  
princess

Sylvester Stallone

U.K. chain Odeon bars 'Rambo'

Exhibitor blames commercial dispute

By ARCHIE THOMASLONDON — Odeon, the U.K.’s biggest exhib chain, will not show Sony’s new release “Rambo” at its theaters this weekend, citing undisclosed “commercial reasons.”

News has sent shockwaves around the local industry as “Rambo” is the frame’s most significant new release in the U.K. News has also enraged online Sylvester Stallone fans, especially those who live in rural areas where their only local cinema is an Odeon.

Decision by Odeon not to play the testosterone-fuelled pic will likely see its opening U.K. B.O. haul dented considerably even though Sony has spent much of this week scrambling to get other chains, including other market leaders Vue and Cineworld, to pump up their “Rambo” showings.

Odeon is tight-lipped on the decision not to play the franchise sequel. “Owing to commercial reasons, Odeon has made the decision not to screen the film ‘Rambo’ across its cinemas in the U.K.,” said a statement. “As the U.K.’s largest cinema chain, Odeon offers its guests a wide range of film genres to appeal to many different audiences. As such the decision not to screen ‘Rambo’ will free up screens to show alternative popular new films such as ‘Jumper,’ ‘Be Kind Rewind’ and ‘Juno’.”

An exhib source told Variety that Odeon’s decision to pull “Rambo” must be “over a disagreement over the terms. But to us, the film rentals rate seems reasonable enough for a release such as ‘Rambo.’ ”

“There has to be a time when neither player steps down. Both companies have their budgets and both are playing the game,” commented Andrew Turner, Cineworld director of film booking, adding that “I can’t remember the last time this happened in the multiplex era.”

Bookers had predicted that “Rambo” would open to just over $3.5 million but projections have been scaled back to closer to $3 million. That said, pic is still likely to claim top spot in the charts. Some positive reviews and Stallone’s solid promotional work in Blighty should help drive opening weekend biz.

Peter Taylor, m.d., Sony Pictures Releasing U.K., declined to comment on the situation.

Sci-fi actioner “Jumper,” last weekend’s B.O. champ in its opening sesh, is expected to be the biggest beneficiary of the Odeon decision not to screen “Rambo.”

Also going out wide this weekend is Michel Gondry’s “Be Kind, Rewind,” which Pathe plays on an ambitious 367. But previews of $413,244 at 300 on Wednesday and Thursday have left bizzers underwhelmed about leftfield pic’s commercial prospects. Other releases such as “My Blueberry Nights” and “The Edge of Heaven” cater mainly for arthouse auds.

Stallone, Shandling make witness list

By GREG RISLING, Associated Press

Sylvester Stallone, Chris Rock and Garry Shandling were included on a list of potential witnesses released Wednesday in the federal wiretapping trial of a Hollywood private eye and four co-defendants.

Lawyers also completed jury selection in the case. Opening statements were set to begin Thursday, with private investigator Anthony Pellicano acting as his own lawyer.

The witness list compiled by prosecutors included 127 people, but it was not clear how many would actually testify.

U.S. District Judge Dale Fischer said she couldn't imagine federal prosecutors calling that many people to testify.

Also named were Brad Grey, chairman and chief executive officer of Paramount Pictures; Ron Meyer, president and chief executive officer of Universal Studios; and former Walt Disney Co. president and powerful talent agent Michael Ovitz.

Pellicano, 63, is accused of running a criminal enterprise that wiretapped phones and bribed police and telephone workers. Prosecutors said he obtained confidential information that could be used to gain advantage in divorce, business and other cases.

Stallone and Shandling were alleged victims. Stallone told The Associated Press last month he wouldn't mind testifying. Representatives of comedian Rock retained Pellicano in a paternity battle, according to court documents.

Federal authorities previously questioned Grey, Meyer and prominent entertainment attorney Bert Fields — who is also on the list — about their connections to Pellicano.

Other prominent Hollywood figures on the list include Farrah Fawcett; attorney Bert Fields, whose clients include Tom Cruise; and actor Keith Carradine, whose ex-wife Sonia Will Carradine pleaded guilty to perjury in the case.

One of the first prosecution witnesses will be retired baseball player Matt Williams, who had a bitter divorce battle with his second wife, actress Michelle Johnson, in 2002. Prosecutors said in a court filing they have an audio recording of Williams and Pellicano but didn't elaborate on its content.

Prosecutors estimate Pellicano, retired Los Angeles police Sgt. Mark Arneson and former telephone company employee Rayford Earl Turner collected nearly $2 million from what they say was a racketeering scheme.

Pellicano and his co-defendants, including Kevin Kachikian and Abner Nicherie, have pleaded not guilty.

In all, 14 people have been charged, and seven already pleaded guilty to a variety of charges including perjury and conspiracy.

Six of those seven, including film director John McTiernan and former Hollywood Records president Robert Pfeifer, were expected to be called by prosecutors.

The trial is expected to last up to 10 weeks.

Schwarzenegger to play himself in Stallone film

Wed Feb 25, 6:30 am ET

SACRAMENTO, Calif. – Art will imitate life when Gov. Arnold Schwarzenegger spends a few hours playing himself later this year in a movie by Sylvester Stallone.

Stallone's publicist, Sheryl Main, revealed more details Tuesday of Schwarzenegger's rare big-screen appearance. The governor said he has done just three cameos for friends since becoming governor in 2003.

Shooting on the film, "The Expendables," will begin March 28 in Brazil and move to New Orleans for two months. Main says the governor will shoot his scene in Los Angeles.

His role will be a familiar one: California governor.

Stallone writes, directs and stars in the movie, a film about a group of mercenaries trying to overthrow a South American dictator. It also stars Jet Li, Dolph Lundgren, Eric Roberts, Mickey Rourke and Forest Whitaker.

Sylvester Stallone -- Can You Stomach That?!

Looking good for a 62-year-old former action star, Sylvester Stallone showed off his ripped, skinny stomach while filming a scene for his upcoming flick.

Posted Image

All young people who think it is cool to get tattoos: see this? That is what a tattoo looks like after years. Faded and not attractive. And permanent.

All young people who think it is cool to get tattoos: see this? That is what a tattoo looks like after years. Faded and not attractive. And permanent.

LOL I work in a nursing home and I can definitely attest to that

Embarrassing Sylvester Stallone

Sylvester Stallone's wife wants him to stop making films because they embarrass his children.

The 63-year-old 'Rambo' actor - who has recently revealed his hopes to direct a seventh 'Rocky' boxing movie - is preparing to be criticised by movie experts and loved ones when he works on his next blockbuster.

He said: "I know I'll probably make a fool of myself if I make another 'Rocky' film after turning 60.

"I also know there's gonna be a lot of criticism. Even my wife says, 'Don't do it. You're embarrassing the kids'. But I told her, 'If I don't try I'll be a really unhappy man.'

"You have to do it. Artists like me have to go through the dark over and over again."

Sylvester added that he's always followed the advice of his old drama school teacher, and will not listen to people who try to dissuade him from making more film.

He told Tele5 Germany: "When I was 21 years old and at drama school. My teacher said to me, 'If you ever put your head out there, thousands of people will try to cut it off, but that's exactly what you need to do as an artist.'

"I know it's ludicrous and everyone would laugh. I would laugh about it. But I also know that I'd be successful if I can make this a film about becoming older, not about boxing but about myself."

Source femalefirst

His wife, who lives very well off his millions, should just be thrilled that he's still hustling his butt (albeit his old, wrinkly butt) to make movies that keep her so well cared-for. I don't love him, but I certainly respect anyone who's got a good work ethic and certainly don't see why an actor should stop making movies just because he/she is getting old.

Sylvester Stallone Broke Neck Filming New Movie

SYLVESTER Stallone broke his neck filming his new movie.

The actor suffered the serious injury while shooting a fight scene with former WWE wrestler Steve Austin for The Expendables, and had to have major surgery.

“Man, it was seven guys, kicking each other’s a*s, one guy tougher than the next,” Stallone told FHM magazine. “No joke, our stunt guys were begging for mercy.

“Actually, my fight with Stone Cold Steve Austin was so vicious that I ended up getting a hairline fracture in my neck. I’m not joking. I haven’t told anyone this, but I had to have a very serious operation afterwards. I now have a metal plate in my neck.”

This is not the first injury the 63-year-old star has suffered while making a movie.

While making Rocky IV in 1985 a boxing scene with Dolph Lundgren — who also appears in The Expendables – got so out of hand, Stallone almost died after being punched in the head and chest.

Dolph Lundgren and I always went for it,” he said. “I gave him orders to try to knock me out while the cameras were rolling. At one point, he hit me so hard on the top of the head I felt my spine compress. He then hit me with an almighty uppercut.

“That night my chest and heart started to swell, and I had to be helicopter-ambulanced from my hotel to a nearby emergency room. I was told that Dolph had punched my rib cage into my chest, compressing my heart. If it had swollen any more, I would have died.

“After that, I was like, ‘Dolph, it’s only a movie, bro.’ ”

Stallone, Lundgren and Austin also star alongside Arnold Schwarzenegger, Bruce Willis, Jet Li, Jason Statham and Mickey Rourke in The Expendables – about a crack military squad that is assembled to overthrow a South American dictator.

Source showbizspy.com

Sylvester Stallone's Art Love

Sylvester Stallone prefers painting to acting.

The 'Rockie' actor, who has had his paintings displayed at Art Basel Miami Beach, claimed films rarely live up to the hype because of the scale of production.

He said: "Movies are a vision dependent upon three or four hundred people to accomplish it. So there's great compromising.

"And so much is lost in the translation. So when you get up there, it's maybe 40 per cent of the way you envisaged it. Because of the finance thing, and the actor doesn't interpret it properly. Or the director isn't on form that day and he missed the whole point.

"Whereas painting is all you do. It either soars or it crashes. There's no one to blame but one person."

He also suggested many of his art pieces come out being in a bad mood.

Sylvester told The Sunday Times: "I find that the more unhappy you are, the more confused you are, the better your art is. Happy art, it just doesn't seem to work for me"

Source monstersandcritics.com

popbitch

Breakfast Buffet

If you ever find that Sylvester Stallone is

staying at your hotel, be very careful

at the breakfast buffet. Although he, his

wife and his two daughters eat quietly, Sly's

youngest is a bit of a minx. When she thinks

no-one is looking, she has been known to

switch the signs on the fruit and vegetable

juices and then walk off.

:D