MMM1

What are you reading?

I just finished reading "Shutter Island" by Dennis Lehane. Martin Scorsese is making it into a movie right now, renamed "Ashecliffe." Has anyone else read this book, and if so what did you think about the ending? :huh:

I loved that book! The ending didn't sit well with me. I was so disturbed by it. :ph34r: I won't give it away but I am interested in how the movie will end.

I've never heard of it, but I just looked it up on amazon, and I think I'm going to have to pick this one up! It looks great!

I just finished reading "Shutter Island" by Dennis Lehane. Martin Scorsese is making it into a movie right now, renamed "Ashecliffe." Has anyone else read this book, and if so what did you think about the ending? :huh:

I loved that book! The ending didn't sit well with me. I was so disturbed by it. :ph34r: I won't give it away but I am interested in how the movie will end.

Oooh, I loved that book, and the ending was disturbing. Now I want to read it again.

I'm finishing up Jodi Picoult's Change of Heart. Very great, and emotionally draining, as are all of her books. I got to have dinner with her back in September and she told me all about it and the research she did in prisons with death row inmates. Good stuff.

I worked at our library booksale last weekend and picked up 2 huge tote bags of books--can't wait! Lots of trashy romances (good summer reading) but I also got some more interesting books, like Barbara Tuchman's The Proud Tower: A Portrait of the World before the War, 1890-1914.

Did I mention I was a european history major, years ago as an undergrad? We had to read Tuchman's The Guns of August (sentinel book about WWI) and I enjoyed it--she's a great historian who has a way with words--her books are not boring. I've been feeling lately that I missed a lot of what I had to read in high school and college and want to go back and revisit some of it (not all, trust me, if I never have to read Heidegger or Hegel again, it won't be soon enough!!) Thought this would be a good start.

So as soon as I finish reading J.R. Ward's Dark Lover, I'm back to history :D

Edited by Hoyaheel

Hi guys,

Not to be too self-promotional, but the paperback of my book, The Department of Lost and Found, comes out today! So I hope you'll consider grabbing it at your local bookstore or on Amazon! COSMO, REDBOOK, MARIE CLAIRE, PUBLISHERS WEEKLY and BOOKLIST, among others, all gave it raves, so if you enjoy women's fiction, I do think you'd enjoy it!

Thank you!!!!! The first week of a book's release make all the difference in its long-term success, so I appreciate you indulging my need to whore myself out! :)

Amazon link: http://tinyurl.com/62vqwv

Allison

I'm about half way through Three Girls and Their Brother by Theresa Rebeck. Really good so far. It's the first novel by a New York playwright. I read a review in Glamour or Marie Claire and whaddya know--my library actually had it in the same week :D It's about 3 teenage girls who are photographed for the New Yorker and how their life changes once they become the new IT girls. The book is split into 4 sections--one for each of the kids, it's written from their perspective.

Just read A Secret Word by Jennifer Paddock. Nice quick read, a bit insubstantial but engaging and easy. I'm dying for time to lounge around and read.

Summer is coming, bittermuch? Do you have any vacation plans? Long flights?? ;)

I'm actually trying to plan a lazy vacation with my s.o. and his daughters for late July, but we were hoping to use frequent flier miles, which is proving to be almost impossible. We always end up doing more "active" vacations because we get so little time to travel and want to make the most of it by seeing everything we can....which kind of defeats the purpose of vacation for me in some ways.

which kind of defeats the purpose of vacation for me in some ways.

I completely understand, and I feel bad for you :( I'm just learning not to feel guilty when (like today) I carpool with my mom and she has to tell me everything she did over the weekend. So I tell her everything my husband did (both have multiple outdoor projects they *have* to work on every weekend) and then slip in how many pages I read over the weekend.....My husband and I are spending a long weekend this week at my in-laws' beach house, and I'm already plotting how to escape the rest of them so I can READ! I want to relax--they're "do something every minute, must entertain the guests" type people, and even though they've known me for 10 years and I continually tell them I don't want to do anything but veg & read, still.....Oh well--gotta love 'em. Got off on a bit of a tangent there--sorry :unsure: In the meantime--until you get your relaxing vacation--any time for bubble baths at the end of the day?? You could at least get a few chapters in that way ;)

A long weekend at the beach is the ideal situation for reading - I hope other people don't ruin it too much! My s.o.'s daughters are voracious readers, so I'm hoping that for this vacation we will budget a few relaxing reading days.

I willingly took on a part-time teaching gig on the side this semester, so, between my regular job and the obligations that go with that, grading papers, the usual chores, and the end of the school year flurry of events for me and for my s.o.'s daughters (plays, concerts, picnics OH MY), I've overscheduled myself for the next bit. My own fault, so I have no right to complain (not that it stops me). I'm hoping to sneak in some book-reading time this weekend because I was really into King Leopold's Ghost but had to put it down (after some quality reading time on two short flights...) in favor of something lighter that could be read in spurts more easily.

Am reading The Pillars of the Earth by Ken Follett.

Apparently this book has already been mentioned in this thread, but the thread is so damn long I can't find what anyone said about it :)

I'm only about 140 pages into it but like it so far.

Apparently this book has already been mentioned in this thread, but the thread is so damn long I can't find what anyone said about it :)

But isn't it rather nice (esp. among a group of popular culture obsessed gossip snarkers such as ourselves) to find we're all rather literate too :D

I love to gossip, I love knowing what's going on in Hollyweird, but this is very possibly my favorite thread--I get such good ideas here :wub:

I just started Season of the Witch by Natasha Mostert. Good so far :D The review calls it a cross between The Matrix, Interview with the Vampire, and The Historian. Since The Historian is the only one of those 3 I actually enjoyed....It's paranormal, esoteric, but so far very well written and a quick read. I didn't know anything about it--just picked it up off the library shelves--but the author has written other things I can look for if I like it. Author's background is lexicography and applied linguistics.

I just finished The Thirteenth Tale by Diane Setterfield. It was enjoyable and a quick read. I'm a twin so naturally I got into that whole element.

I also recently finished The Other by David Guterson. Interesting, but it was a bit slow and I found the ending unsatisfying. I don't think it has officially come out yet, but somehow I picked up an advance edition at a local used book store.

"Garlic and Sapphires" by Ruth Reichl. It's a fun summer read about the author's stint as the NY Times food critic. She goes to elaborate lengths to disguise herself (with help from a former costumer who was a friend of her mother's) for some of the restaurant visits. The chapters have simple recipes for a dish she liked in a restaurant or from a family recipe, stuff like that. I like her easy, funny writing style.

I know I mentioned when I read the first book, am now on the second book by Ariana Franklin: The Serpent's Tale. I have about 100 pages left. Love it! As much as the first (Mistress of the Art of Death). Trained in medical forensics in 12th century Italy, brought to England by King Henry II to solve crimes for him. Interesting characters, well developed, good history, and a bit of intriguing medieval CSI for those of us who like that sort of thing!

I'm reading this now - I can't put it down! I'll let you know about the ending when I'm done but so far so good!

Picked up Shutter Island this afternoon and couldn't put it down until I finished it. Been a long time since I've done that with a book. Wild. I've read a number of Lehane's other books and I remember liking them, but I don't remember being sucked in quite as much.