princess

Hilary Swank

Savage review of her new flick. I haven't seen it and don't intend to see it. But I agree with the general view of the critic that this woman is a bad actress and that the fact that she has two Oscars is astonishing and embarrassing.

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?...amp;type=movies

There's a moment late in "P.S. I Love You" when Hilary Swank has a belated emotional meltdown in front of her mom, and there's a look on Kathy Bates' face approaching pure horror. If someone attached a thought bubble over Bates' head, it might read, "Did you really win two Oscars?"

This is a movie that will leave you stunned and stupefied from beginning to end, if you don't head for the exits first. The only good things in it are Lisa Kudrow and Swank's wardrobe. The plot is unbelievable, although a competent script could have fixed that. The direction is flabby and uninspired, the casting is wrongheaded, and the performances run the gamut from uninteresting to insufferable.

Based on a novel I never want to read by Cecelia Ahern, the film is about real estate broker Holly Kennedy (Swank) who buys designer clothes on eBay and is married to Gerry, a lusty Irish guy (Gerard Butler). As the film begins, they are returning to their cramped New York apartment after visiting her mother and have a battle that sounds like Beckett with belly laughs, except Vladimir and Estragon actually make a more interesting couple than Gerry and Holly. The fight is so forced and works so hard to twist sentences and words around, that you're thinking, "Um, human beings don't talk like this, and why am I sitting in a movie theater watching and listening to people I wouldn't want to spend two minutes with?" Five minutes later (but who's counting?), you're almost relieved to find out he's dead from a brain tumor, although, truth to tell, he's the less obnoxious half of these "battling Bickersons."

The rest of the movie turns on the notion that, as he was shimmying off this mortal coil, Gerry wrote Holly a number of letters and conspired with everyone he knew to have them delivered to her at various points to help her get over him being dead and all, and get on with her life. You also need to know - well, "need" is such a strong word for such a pointless film - that Harry Connick Jr., looking a bit jowly, like an elephant seal in need of a shave, plays a bartender who wants to be more than a pal to Holly. Holly goes off to Ireland with her two best friends, one of whom, thank God, is Kudrow, the only bright spot in this dismal mess.

Butler, Bates, Gina Gershon and James Marsters aren't really awful; it's just that the script, by director Richard LaGravenese and Steven Rogers, is so incompetent, Dame Judi Dench couldn't make the dialogue believable. Swank, however, is awful. If anything, she actually makes the bad script worse. It's easy to see why some lamebrain thought it would be a good idea to cast her in this role. It's why she was cast in "Freedom Writers." After playing a teenage transsexual and a female pugilist, how about finding something that might soften and expand her image? Trouble is, she can't do it. She's not, in this case at least, a Katharine Hepburn, who managed a delicate balance of steely resolve and kittenish vulnerability in some of her better film choices.

Of course, the film wants terribly to be "Ghost" without a potter's wheel, but it just succeeds at being terrible. Although "Ghost" would never be anyone's idea of a great film, it got to you. Sure, it was manipulative, but it went for real emotions and somehow, you found it easier to believe that Patrick Swayze was really doing the whole Casper the Friendly Ghost bit around Demi Moore than virtually any part of "P.S. I Love You."

P.S.: It stinks.

(Pagesix.com)

'Beverly' Beef

SHE'S won two Oscars and is sought by the world's top directors, but Hilary Swank still hasn't gotten over being booted off "Beverly Hills 90210." Swank - signed in 1997 to play a single mom for two seasons on the Fox show, but given the ax after 16 episodes - tells Britain's Telegraph: "They never told me why, they just said it wasn't working. Especially when it's in its eighth season and no one's watching it. You just think, 'I'm not good enough for this show?' "

(Pagesix.com)

'Beverly' Beef

SHE'S won two Oscars and is sought by the world's top directors, but Hilary Swank still hasn't gotten over being booted off "Beverly Hills 90210." Swank - signed in 1997 to play a single mom for two seasons on the Fox show, but given the ax after 16 episodes - tells Britain's Telegraph: "They never told me why, they just said it wasn't working. Especially when it's in its eighth season and no one's watching it. You just think, 'I'm not good enough for this show?' "

That's hysterical when you think about who was on that show. What a favor they did her!

(Pagesix.com)

'Beverly' Beef

That's hysterical when you think about who was on that show. What a favor they did her!

Hmm...I guess Tori Spelling was a bigger star back then. Hysterical! Two Oscars later..

Savage review of her new flick. I haven't seen it and don't intend to see it. But I agree with the general view of the critic that this woman is a bad actress and that the fact that she has two Oscars is astonishing and embarrassing.

I dragged my husband to this movie over the weekend and braced myself during the beginning because it was ($%%#@!!!!) awful. I'll admit, I went for the sheer joy of seeing Gerard Butler larger than life. But, the movie got better, then better. My husband actually said he liked it.

Mind you, I really don't think Hillary is Oscar-worthy in anything she's done. But for this character, she did it well.

Jeffrey Dean Morgan. Mmmmmmmmmmm. Kathy Bates was fantastic.

So I'd give it a 7.0, maybe 7.2. The message and the scenery (including eyecandy) was worth the $9.75. IMO.

SWANK STILL ANGRY OVER TV FIRING

Two-time Oscar winner HILARY SWANK is still upset she was fired from TV show BEVERLY HILLS, 90210 in the late 1990s. Swank admits she lost confidence in her acting ability when television bosses decided she wasn't good enough for the then-ailing teen programme. But the 33-year-old had the last laugh when she won her first Academy Award for her performance in Boys Don't Cry just two years later in 2000, and went on to claim a second Oscar for Million Dollar Baby. She says, "They (producers) never told me why, they just said it wasn't working... Especially when it's in its eighth season and no one's watching it. You just think, 'I'm not good enough for this show?'"

contactmusic

Edited by QTPIE

SWANK STILL ANGRY OVER TV FIRING

Two-time Oscar winner HILARY SWANK is still upset she was fired from TV show BEVERLY HILLS, 90210 in the late 1990s. Swank admits she lost confidence in her acting ability when television bosses decided she wasn't good enough for the then-ailing teen programme. But the 33-year-old had the last laugh when she won her first Academy Award for her performance in Boys Don't Cry just two years later in 2000, and went on to claim a second Oscar for Million Dollar Baby. She says, "They (producers) never told me why, they just said it wasn't working... Especially when it's in its eighth season and no one's watching it. You just think, 'I'm not good enough for this show?'"

contactmusic

This is totally unbelieveable. She wins Oscars and cares about a has been BAD TV show?

Boy In A Dress

Posted Image

Hilary Swank is my favorite pony. I love her and everything she does. Her portrayal of Brandon Teena changed my life. I mean the scene where she's stuffing her crotch....amazing. Anyway, it looks like she's still playing Brandon Teena. Who the hell told her this dress looked hot? Kill that bitch, Hils! They lied to you. My titties would look bigger in that dress.

Here's Hils with Giorgio Armani at the Armani Prive show in Paris yesterday.

Brandon Teena forever!

Posted Image

http://www.dlisted.com/

Hilary Swank to play Amelia Earhart

Mira Nair to direct biopic from Ron Bass script

Hilary Swank is set to play aviatrix Amelia Earhart in "Amelia," a biopic that will be directed by Mira Nair. Ron Bass wrote the script.

The picture will get off the ground in April, financed by Ted Waitt through his Avalon Pictures banner.

Waitt will produce with Avalon prexy Kevin Hyman and Lydia Dean Pilcher; the latter is Nair's producing partner.

Swank will play Earhart in the formative stages of her career. George Putnam, a publisher and publicist, was engaged by society denizen Amy Guest to set up a daring nonstop flight across the Atlantic Ocean. When Guest was talked out of trying to become the first woman to make the trip, she dispatched Putnam to find a female pilot, and to turn the flight into a media event.

Bass delivered the script just before the WGA strike began, and he used Susan Butler's book "East to the Dawn," Mary Lovell's "The Sound of the Wings" and Elgin Long's "Amelia Earhart: The Mystery Solved" as primary resources. Swank, who just starred in "P.S., I Love You," attached late last year, and Nair became available to direct after Warner Bros. postponed the Johnny Depp starrer "Shantaram."

Waitt made his fortune as the co-founder of Gateway, which he built along with his brother Norm Waitt, the financier behind Gold Circle Films. Ted Waitt, who is also the chairman of Avalon Capital Group, has quietly staked several films, but "Amelia" is the first major film he has financed.

The mandate of Waitt's Gotham-based Avalon Pictures is to produce and finance entertaining fact-based films with historical and cultural significance. Waitt has secured attorney Skip Brittenham to broker worldwide sales of "Amelia," a process that won't begin until the film has been cast.

Swank and Bass will be exec producers.

Variety

Swank playing Amelia, surprisingly a good choice.

I saw P.S. I Love You and I thought it was okay. I just don't think Hillary can pull off a romantic lead. I kept thinking - this part was written for someone more like Jennifer Garner.

Many people were angry with her for "outing" Chad's coke addiction, does Heath's death and the subsequent backlash on Hollywood drug abuse change anyone's mind about her actions?

Many people were angry with her for "outing" Chad's coke addiction, does Heath's death and the subsequent backlash on Hollywood drug abuse change anyone's mind about her actions?

No, because by the time Swank spoke about Chad Lowe's addictions, he had been sober for 3 (?) years. I don't underestimate the toll that addiction takes on a relationship, and I don't blame Swank for leaving a failing relationship -- but to bring up private matters from the past -- that's badly done.

No, because by the time Swank spoke about Chad Lowe's addictions, he had been sober for 3 (?) years. I don't underestimate the toll that addiction takes on a relationship, and I don't blame Swank for leaving a failing relationship -- but to bring up private matters from the past -- that's badly done.

I agree.

I kind of think it was brave and refreshingly honest to out Chad's addictions. Let's face it, we want to know why relationships break up and she was brutally honest. However, I completely agree that her trying to play the victim was completely disgusting and hypocritical when she was the one that had an affair three years after he was clean.

I kind of think it was brave and refreshingly honest to out Chad's addictions. Let's face it, we want to know why relationships break up and she was brutally honest. However, I completely agree that her trying to play the victim was completely disgusting and hypocritical when she was the one that had an affair three years after he was clean.

It would have been brave if she'd outed her own addictions. As it was, it just came across as bitchy and spiteful and completely unnecessary. And if she was using it as an excuse to end the marriage, why wait three years after he was sober to do it? Nah, I didn't buy it then and I'm not buying it now. I think she was just trying to take the focus off her infidelity.

It would have been brave if she'd outed her own addictions. As it was, it just came across as bitchy and spiteful and completely unnecessary. And if she was using it as an excuse to end the marriage, why wait three years after he was sober to do it? Nah, I didn't buy it then and I'm not buying it now. I think she was just trying to take the focus off her infidelity.

It would be brave if CHAD outed his addictions. She was definitely diverting blame in a situation that made her look like the culprit. It was lame, and the public reaction was appropriate.

Bringing Saksy Back

Tom Hanks, Mary J. Blige, Lisa Rinna and her husband, Harry Hamlin, Ginnifer Goodwin and Angie Harmon came out last night to support colleague Hilary Swank at the Saks Fifth Avenue Unforgettable Evening at the Beverly Wilshire Hotel in Beverly Hills. The stars talked Oscars, fashion, J. Lo’s babies — and the event itself, which benefited the Entertainment Industry Foundation's Women’s Cancer Research Fund.

Dancing With the Stars alum Lisa Rinna told PageSix.com that she will be vamping it up at Sunday's Oscars in Reem Acra, topped off with Neil Lane bling. "I just had a fitting before I came here… it's so pretty. I chose it because… it screamed Oscars."

Ginnifer, who is Chris Klein’s girlfriend, revealed that her Oscar plans are a bit more low-key, saying, "I am going to be watching on the couch with barbecue and macaroni and cheese," while former Oscar winner Tom offered advice to nominees. "Eat healthy, get some exercise, get some good sleep and pay no attention to the media," the Charlie Wilson’s War star suggested.

Angie Harmon gushed about her daughters, Finley, 4, and Avery, 2, and said that manners are priority No. 1 in her house, telling PageSix.com, "I'm from the South, so — 'yes ma’am,' 'please' and 'thank you' — manners are very important."

Of pal J.Lo’s impending motherhood, Angie said, "I think she's going to be a wonderful mom. It was something that she seems to have wanted for so long, and I'm just really really happy for her… It's great, she looks so happy."

Although the glitzy evening was filled with fun and fashion, Tom reminded everyone of the evening's cause: "Everybody has somebody who's been touched by women's cancer. I just met a survivor over there. You're going to have to look out for it in the future. Maybe your aunt or your mom died of it or is fighting it right now. It's getting better because money funded it, so come on, come in, free meal, Mary J. Blige, have some laughs! That's how it work

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

My Favorite Horsey

Posted Image

This is turning out to be one of the most boring Oscars red carpets ever. Where the hell are the hideously tacky dresses?! I was hoping Hilary Swank would come out wearing a dress made out of hay or something. She stuck with boring black. I love her ass though. She looks like a goth pony. I've also thrown in some Jennifer Garner, because she could be Hilary's twin.

I'm praying that Sally Kirkland drops from the hot wreck heavens and saves this carpet!

Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image

http://www.dlisted.com/

Chad Lowe becomes a dad

May 20, 2009, 7:59 PM EST

Entertainment Tonight

Chad Lowe and his girlfriend Kim Painter are new parents!

The couple named their daughter Mabel Painter Lowe. "Everybody is healthy and happy," a rep for Lowe tells People magazine.

Announcing the pregnancy last year, the couple issued a joint statement saying they were "overjoyed and could not be happier."

"It was pretty sweet. She has to go to work in the morning very early. She woke up with a very big smile on her face and I knew exactly what that meant," Chad himself said in an interview with Access Hollywood's Billy Bush's for his nationally syndicated radio program, "The Billy Bush Show," when recalling the day Kim informed him about her pregnancy.

Lowe is Hilary Swank's ex-husband, and he's acted on TV shows such as "CSI: Miami," "24" and "ER."

Chad Lowe becomes a dad

May 20, 2009, 7:59 PM EST

Entertainment Tonight

Chad Lowe and his girlfriend Kim Painter are new parents!

The couple named their daughter Mabel Painter Lowe. "Everybody is healthy and happy," a rep for Lowe tells People magazine.

Announcing the pregnancy last year, the couple issued a joint statement saying they were "overjoyed and could not be happier."

"It was pretty sweet. She has to go to work in the morning very early. She woke up with a very big smile on her face and I knew exactly what that meant," Chad himself said in an interview with Access Hollywood's Billy Bush's for his nationally syndicated radio program, "The Billy Bush Show," when recalling the day Kim informed him about her pregnancy.

Lowe is Hilary Swank's ex-husband, and he's acted on TV shows such as "CSI: Miami," "24" and "ER."

This one line pisses me the f off. He won an emmy for pete's sake. He didn't just act on an episode of CSI fricken Miami.

He won an Emmy Award for his starring role in Life Goes On as a man suffering with HIV.

Hilary Swank's 'Unexpected' Romance

Hilary Swank wasn't attracted to her boyfriend when she first met him.

The Oscar-winning actress - who is dating her former agent, John Campisi - admits there was no initial "spark" between them because they were both dealing with heartache.

Hilary - who was in the process of divorcing Chad Lowe when she started working with John in May 2006 - explained to Britain's Hello! magazine: "There was no spark. What's interesting is, there was never anything. It wasn't until we were well into the dissipation of our respective relationships. Going through something so difficult at the same time, we became very good friends. We became closer and closer.

"It was so unexpected. We both recognised that if we were going to take the relationship to the next step, we could no longer work together."

Although the 35-year-old star says she has no plans to marry John, 41, in the near future, she hopes to start a family with him one day and enjoys spending time with his son Sam, from a previous relationship.

She explained: "Sam's a sweetheart.

"I most definitely want children. It's something I'd like to do someday. And when the timing is right I'll hopefully know it."

Source: monstersandcritics.com

Hilary Swank Covers Marie Claire

Hilary Swank, the star of the upcoming film based on the life of Amelia Earhart, graces the November 2009 cover of Marie Claire magazine, on newsstands October 13.

On people assuming she can get any role she wants because of her two Oscars:

“So not true. I really chase the things that I want. I don’t audition anymore, but I do go after things that I believe in. Someone will say, ‘Oh, I don’t see Hilary in that role because she’s not really that funny to me.’ So I’ll say that I want to sit down with them so that they meet the real person behind the characters. I usually get roles that are not the conventional beauty.”

On her way of relaxation:“My relaxation has always been my animals—going to the dog park with them, going to the beach. I always try to carve out time in my day to be with them. On the last set I was on, I would just get a bike and ride around the studio with my dogs chasing me. It just gets me out of my head, you know what I mean?”

On people assuming she’s a loner:

“For a long time, I was a loner because [my ex-husband Chad Lowe] was my best friend, and we were really happy just hanging out, he and I. I think it was maybe five years ago that I realized how important my friends were to me, and I realized they were a big part of my letting go. When I got divorced three years ago, I needed them more than ever. I have really good girlfriends. Mariska Hargitay is my best friend.”

Source: Daily Contributor