princess

The Celeb Price of Fame

Scarlett Johansson's Used Tissue Fetches $5,300

Zap2It

December 23, 2008

LOS ANGELES -- Hundreds of thousands of Americans are wondering how they're going to pay their mortgage next month, but at least one person out there had $5,300 in loose change to blow on Scarlett Johansson's used tissue.

Last week on "The Tonight Show," Johansson told host Jay Leno that she was still under-the-weather from a cold she picked up from her co-star in "The Spirit," Samuel L. Jackson.

"I feel like it's valuable in some way," the actress said, "I feel like I could sell it on eBay."

Sensing an opportunity, Leno handed her a box of tissues and encouraged her to got to town. The resulting wad (complete with bonus of smear of lipstick and Johansson's autograph) was then listed on eBay.

Proceeds will go to USA Harvest, an organization that works with restaurants to distribute unsold food to those in need.

Stephanie Seymour in a bikini on Flamands Beach in St. Barts(12/22/08)

Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image

Price of Fame: Seeing shots of your ass like this on the internet :D

The fame paradox: Pay attention to me, on my terms

AP

By TED ANTHONY, AP National Writer Ted Anthony, Ap National Writer – 2 hrs 32 mins ago

Look at me. Look at my life, my body, my antics, my kids, my home. It's OK — come on in. It's a fair deal: I'm getting famous, you're getting entertained. Everybody's happy. What's the problem?

But ... whoa. Wait. Stop. I didn't sign on for THIS. Why are you looking at me? How dare you look at me! Go away! Can't you leave me and my family in peace? At least until next season?

A monthlong eruption of celebrity anger over unwanted attention — everyone from Miss California USA Carrie Prejean to Brooke Shields to the stars of the reality show "Jon & Kate Plus 8" — suggests a new, oddly paradoxical dimension to the way we look at famous people.

In short, Americans who traffic in the commodity that is their lives — Hollywood actors and reality-TV stars alike — aren't at all happy when their carefully calibrated reality bursts out of the cages they have built to contain it.

"It destroys people's lives," Kate Gosselin of "Jon & Kate" said at a recent appearance — a publicity appearance — in Michigan.

Celebrities upset with intrusive coverage are nothing new — Greta Garbo wanted to be left alone as early as the 1930s. And, more recently, stars from Kanye West to Keith Urban to Sarah Jessica Parker have expressed dismay at the media frenzy surrounding their activities and families.

But there's something different afoot today, something cloudier.

Where George Clooney could say a decade ago that his public performances were separate from his personal life, the lines between public and private have blurred. We are awash in an era of oversharing, an age where millions of regular people broadcast prosaic status updates to the world on Twitter and Huggies sponsors "The Potty Project" featuring real families toilet-training their toddlers.

Today, hundreds of everyday Americans bare their workaday existences to millions of their fellow citizens on reality shows, molding themselves into twinkling, if shooting, stars. On the other end of the spectrum, performers like Tori Spelling, Denise Richards and Jessica Simpson shoehorn their carefully edited personal lives into marketable narratives in a calculated bid to keep the buzz going.

We love it. And they love it. Until the "reality" goes off script and the prying eyes that made them wildly successful suddenly start making them angry. Then you get:

_Prejean, who competed in the Miss USA pageant in a bikini, condemning the people who circulated topless photos of her after she answered celebrity blogger Perez Hilton's question about marriage by saying it should be between a man and a woman. Prejean said Hilton's question had a "hidden personal agenda" and that she was "punished" for exercising her freedom of speech. Said Prejean: "This should not happen in America."

_Shields calling it "inexplicable" that a media storm could erupt over her connection to the New York arrest of Kiefer Sutherland this month. "It is frightening and shocking the access people have to everybody else," she said last week. In 2005, Shields appeared on "The Oprah Winfrey Show" to discuss deeply personal aspects of her life, including her suicidal thoughts and postpartum depression.

_A new documentary about 1970s uber-celebrity Farrah Fawcett, dying of cancer, that includes footage of her discussing the supermarket tabloid that she says robbed her of her privacy — the privacy that she herself is surrendering by starring in a highly publicized documentary about the same topic.

Not to say that anyone is wrong here. It's all just gotten a lot more complicated in recent years as personal and public lives merge — something that might be expected in a nation where the notion of privacy as a legal right is only about as old as the movie industry.

"You put yourself out there like this, these things are going to happen," says Lou Manza, who heads the psychology department at Lebanon Valley College in Annville, Pa.

"If you're going to let the cameras into your life, you shouldn't be surprised at what the cameras show," he says. "`I want you to film me' — OK, well do that, and you'll get famous, but that's a double-edged sword. People are going to know all your dirty laundry."

That conundrum seems particularly distilled in the odd case of Jon and Kate Gosselin, stars of the TLC Series "Jon & Kate Plus 8," which documents the ins and outs of the southeastern Pennsylvania couple's family life. Faced with recent magazine reports of infidelity on both sides, the two have lashed out at the media attention to the personal lives they chose to expose, publicly and lucratively, to the world.

"This is certainly not what I envisioned I was signing up for," Kate Gosselin said during the Michigan appearance. "When I see magazines in stores, it's really difficult. It amazes me there is an industry that follows you around and writes stories about you."

In 1961, historian and future Librarian of Congress Daniel J. Boorstin wrote about the growing celebrity culture and the "pseudo-event," a happening that is orchestrated for the express purpose of being watched and reported on. Boorstin defined celebrity as "a person who is well known for his well-knownness."

But when Boorstin wrote that, he couldn't have imagined, in his most outlandish speculation, "The Real Housewives of Orange County" or "Who Wants to Marry My Dad?" — part of an industry that farms, then harvests the tapestry of American daily life into drama-infused show business fodder.

In other words: These days, a lot more of our fellow Americans are suddenly, willingly vaulted into fame — or its Bizarro-universe counterpart, notoriety — without the slightest bit of preparation.

"One of the things about reality and the celebrity narrative is that there are always stakes. Because it's real," says Neal Gabler, author of "Life: The Movie — How Entertainment Conquered Reality."

"A celebrity ceases to be a celebrity when the narrative runs out," he says. "But the narrative requires other people to amplify it. That's what the media do. So for someone like Miss California to act as if they have no business doing this, this IS their business."

So forget about life imitating art or vice versa. As Gabler puts it in his book, "Life has become art, so that the two are now indistinguishable from each other."

And in an environment like that, is it any wonder that there's confusion from the amateurs suddenly thrust into the celebrity-industrial complex in ways they never imagined? And that the "Jon & Kate" Web site is brimming with "behind-the-scenes" stories about how they struggle to deal with fame?

"It's hard being on this side of the camera," Jon Gosselin says in one Webisode. "People see your life as episodes ... I mean, we don't have privacy at all. If I go out, people know I go out, and photograph it and do everything they gotta do to do something about it."

Adds Kate Gosselin: "Ready for Season 5 — we think."

___

NY Post

Oscar love curse

By TODD VENEZIA

Last Updated: 9:14 AM, March 18, 2010

Posted: 3:10 AM, March 18, 2010

Winning an Oscar is a blessing for any actress' career -- but for her love life, the award can be a devastating curse.

In the past dozen years, nearly every woman to win the Academy Award for Best Actress has broken up with her husband, boyfriend or lover -- some just months after thanking them from the award show stage.

This week's Sandra Bullock and Kate Winslet love dramas are only the latest in a long string of Hollywood heartbreak that goes back to March 1998, when rom-com sweetheart Helen Hunt thanked boyfriend Hank Azaria as she got the award for "As Good As It Gets."

She called him "the very best man I know" and married him later that year. In just six months, they were divorced.

The rest of the Best Actress list reads like a roll call of romantic ruin.

* Gwyneth Paltrow won in 1999 for "Shakespeare in Love." At the time, she was in love with hunky actor Ben Affleck. Just two months after she accepted the award, the couple were broken up.

* Hilary Swank won in 2000 for "Boys Don't Cry." It was her first of two Oscars in five years.

But all that success couldn't help her personal life. A year after winning in 2005 for her role in "Million Dollar Baby," she split from husband Chad Lowe, whom she had called "my everything" during her acceptance speech.

* Julia Roberts, who won in 2001 for "Erin Brockovich," broke up with boyfriend Benjamin Bratt just three months after she got the award. They had been together for four years.

* Halle Berry won in 2002 for "Monster's Ball," and called husband Eric Benet "just a joy of my life" as she made her acceptance speech. The couple split the next year, after reports Benet cheated.

* Charlize Theron, who won in 2004 for "Monster," split with her longtime actor boyfriend, Stuart Townsend, this past January. As she accepted her Oscar, she said of Townsend: "I have to thank my incredible partner in crime. You are one hell of a partner to have. Thank you for standing by me."

* Reese Witherspoon accepted the Best Actress award in 2006 for playing Johnny Cash's wife, June Carter, in "Walk the Line." By the end of that year, she was done with her husband, actor Ryan Philippe. He had reportedly met actress Abbie Cornish as they were filming the movie "Stop Loss."

* Kate Winslet, who won for playing a Nazi in "The Reader" in 2009, saw her marriage to director Sam Mendes go kaput this week -- amid reports that he had grown close with actress Rebecca Hall.

* Sandra Bullock won for "The Blind Side" earlier this month, only to suffer through reports that her husband, famed motorcycle builder Jesse James, was cheating on her with a tattoo model.

The only other two winners to escape heartbreak are Helen Mirren, who won for "The Queen" in 2007, and Marion Cotillard, who won for "La Vie en Rose" in 2008. They are both still with their significant others.

In Terminator 2, Arnold Schwarzenegger only spoke 700 words and was Paid $15 Million. That means the phrase 'hasta la vista, baby' itself cost $85,715

Nice one from GK TIME..

people.com

Kristen Stewart is issuing a public apology for hurting her boyfriend of three years, Robert Pattinson, by having a fling with her Snow White and the Huntsman director, Rupert Sanders.

"I'm deeply sorry for the hurt and embarrassment I've caused to those close to me and everyone this has affected. This momentary indiscretion has jeopardized the most important thing in my life, the person I love and respect the most, Rob. I love him, I love him, I'm so sorry," Stewart said in a statement Wednesday. ....

Full story here.

Celeb Price of Fame: Having to make a public announcement you cheated. :shocked:

ETA: Almost glad Ted C.'s board is down, the twihards would be going nuts on the message board about this!!

people.com

Kristen Stewart is issuing a public apology for hurting her boyfriend of three years, Robert Pattinson, by having a fling with her Snow White and the Huntsman director, Rupert Sanders.

"I'm deeply sorry for the hurt and embarrassment I've caused to those close to me and everyone this has affected. This momentary indiscretion has jeopardized the most important thing in my life, the person I love and respect the most, Rob. I love him, I love him, I'm so sorry," Stewart said in a statement Wednesday. ....

Full story here.

Celeb Price of Fame: Having to make a public announcement you cheated. :shocked:

ETA: Almost glad Ted C.'s board is down, the twihards would be going nuts on the message board about this!!

All of this seems so weird to me. Was the apology just an attempt to save face with the Twilight fans? I don't know why else she would call him out by name, yet not acknowledge the family of the director. It's bizarre.

All of this seems so weird to me. Was the apology just an attempt to save face with the Twilight fans? I don't know why else she would call him out by name,

Yes, because the last Twilight movie hasn't been released yet. Lainey speculates the response would have been MUCH different had it happened 4 months after the release instead of prior......

Agreed, on the other hand until you issue a public apology, it's just a rumor... I only saw one photo, but it could have been director telling his actress how to stand in the shot.

thing i wonder is this: if they are TTT and Nevis, then they have a sexually open relationship. In which case, between stewart and Pattinson, no biggie (unless there were rules she violated). (for the married direction, not so much).

thing i wonder is this: if they are TTT and Nevis, then they have a sexually open relationship. In which case, between stewart and Pattinson, no biggie (unless there were rules she violated). (for the married direction, not so much).

TC writes (or tweets) Ted Casablanca ‏@Ted_Casablanca

everything ur reading about #Robsten is arranged. Let me assure u of this.

So I suspect that's a "yes".

I agree. She's 22, he's - about the same? 23 or 24? So what? They don't have to be for ever after at that age. I don't *want* kids that young to be "forever after". Yeah, I'm sure they dated & enjoyed themselves for a while. They're young and hot and seem pretty dang compatible. But things end.....

Screwing around with your older, MARRIED, director? Poor form, very poor form......

Edited by Hoyaheel

Ted tweeted this last night:

hey Robsten's been thru a lot, they r not perfect, why I've always loved them but they both know exactly what they're doing

Posted Image

Kristen Stewart, Rupert Sanders Shared Cozy Dinner in May

By Phil Boucher

Thursday July 26, 2012 11:45 AM EDT

people.com

Before a cheating scandal rocked the lives of both Kristen Stewart and Rupert Sanders, the pair spent months together on the sets of Snow White and the Huntsman.

While filming SWATH, Sanders, 41, seemed infatuated with Stewart, 22, but it never went any further, a source tells PEOPLE. One of the reasons could be that Sanders's wife, actress-model Liberty Ross, starred alongside Stewart in the film, playing Snow White's mother. Sanders even cast the couple's two children, Skyla, 7, and Tennyson, 5, as extras in the film's final scene.

But a photo unearthed from May shows Stewart and Sanders enjoying a cozy dinner with a small group at Berlin's Monsieur Vuong Vietnamese restaurant.

Another source insists the hook-up between the young actress and director was far from a full-blown affair.

"She wasn't having an affair with Rupert. It was just a fleeting moment that shouldn't have happened," the source says. "She never meant to hurt anyone. She's a good person who just made a bad choice."

Dad: "Sanders Will Survive This"

Sanders's father, Michael, spoke to PEOPLE about the tryst between his son and the Twilight actress.

"From what I gather nothing really happened and it is all a lot of fuss about nothing. I should imagine it was something very brief," he said. "She is a very pretty girl and when you work that closely with someone for so long, sometimes things happen."

Michael also defended his son's character, arguing that he is far from the philander the press is making him out to be. "He is very honorable, hardworking and [a] dedicated father and filmmaker."

As for Sanders's relationship with Ross recovering from this shocking incident, Michael remains optimistic.

"Of course their relationship will survive this. This is nothing – they will definitely survive all of this. It is all a lot of fuss about nothing."

Stewart publicly apologized for the fling on Wednesday. "This momentary indiscretion has jeopardized the most important thing in my life, the person I love and respect the most, Rob. I love him, I love him, I'm so sorry," she said, referring to longtime boyfriend Robert Pattinson.

Wow - no Kristen Stewart thread. OK, I'll post here since this is where other articles have been.

Duana has a nice column on Lainey's site about the slut-shaming of Stewart. http://www.laineygossip.com/Articles/Detai...--Scripted-Slut

My favorite line is about Rob though ;-)

It’s not even because she cheated on the world’s most beloved sexualized Fraggle.

Sexualized Fraggle. Tee-hee. :poke:

I just don't get it. I realize I'm a straight female but I just have a hard time imagining any guy being that loop-de-loop for this girl. It's such obvious PR for their movie releasing in November that I hope most media will begin to IGNORE them and this stunt quickly.

Edited to add that they say Rob has moved out of the house they share today. I thought it was HIS house that they shared so why did he move out?!

And last but not least, why isn't the married man getting the same kind of slack that she is? I think the press should hunt him down and demand that he make a public apology!

Edited by kappy22

I just don't get it. I realize I'm a straight female but I just have a hard time imagining any guy being that loop-de-loop for this girl. It's such obvious PR for their movie releasing in November that I hope most media will begin to IGNORE them and this stunt quickly.

Edited to add that they say Rob has moved out of the house they share today. I thought it was HIS house that they shared so why did he move out?!

And last but not least, why isn't the married man getting the same kind of slack that she is? I think the press should hunt him down and demand that he make a public apology!

well she's getting more flack becuase she's the celeb, not the director. The attnetion isn't correlated to the extent of moral culpability. I would love to see casablanca's take since he clearly has said they have an "unconventional relationship". But even with those there are rules and I guess she violated them (the affair with the married dad aside). in any event, i dont think they were a PR stunt. I think they were real.

I don't understand why people are nuts for either of them. He does nothing for me, and every time I see her I am tempted to channel my grandmother and say "Stand up straight and get that hair out of your eyes!" :rolleyes: I also get the feeling that their appearance as well as their relationship is scripted.

I don't understand why people are nuts for either of them. He does nothing for me, and every time I see her I am tempted to channel my grandmother and say "Stand up straight and get that hair out of your eyes!" :rolleyes: I also get the feeling that their appearance as well as their relationship is scripted.

NO part of the entire Twilight thing has made sense to me. I tried reading the first book - could not finish, poorly written and HORRIBLE role modeling for girls. Ick. So of course I haven't seen the films, but the trailers look terrible. The actors aren't that attractive, and why the hell care if the actors playing the protagonists in the film are in love in real life. Sad sad state of fame in this country!!