princess

Kathy Griffin

People are idiots, she was not mocking Jesus she was mocking the celebs that thank him for awards they receive. Like she said, Jesus has better things to do than make sure some self-obsorbed celeb wins an award. GO KATHY!!!!

I didn't take offense at KG saying that her award had nothing to do with Jesus. I agree - Jesus has bigger things to think about than a loud-mouthed comedienne winning an award. If she'd stopped there, no problem. But to say "Suck it Jesus" is extremely offensive. She'd be a social pariah if she'd said "Suck it Mohammed," and I don't think many people here would be defending her. I actually like KG; she is loud and hilarious, sometimes offensive but not usually mean-spirited. I think she'd have been better served to say "I was excited about the win and made an unthinking joke in the spur of the moment" instead of "am I the only Catholic left with a sense of humor?" No Kathy, you aren't, but you are one of the few who thinks "Suck it Jesus" is a cool statement to make.

Well, I like Jesus a whole lot, although I'm not an adherent of a religion. Yet I'm not offended, although I understand why some people are.

"Suck it, Jesus" was [a] a joke, because Kathy Griffin is a comedian, and shocking, because some humor relies on shock value, and [c] meant to be controversial, because Kathy is an unabashed, self-admitted fame ho. On Larry King Live she said that she had two plans, one for if she lost, one for if she won. If she had lost, the plan was to storm the stage and take the award from whoever had actually won it. If she won, well, we know that one. Kathy anticipated how people would react to her acceptance schtick, and there's no way, imo, she should--or ever would--apologize for going way over the top and doing something that potentially offends people. This is pretty much her job, to deliver humor that is always crossing over into offensive. She was awarded an Emmy for a TV show that repeatedly portrays her doing stuff like this, like being hired to do a little comedy at bottom-of-the barrel conventions in the Midwest but using crude language that makes everyone cringe and gets some people angry.

So she's awarded for this, and criticized for it at the same time, and you know she's on top of the world right now, loving every minute of it.

I love Kathy because she is, it seems to me, transparent, honest, smart, self-aware, at times terrible, at times hilarious. She would've gotten her head chopped off for this stuff if she'd been a court jester back in the day, and I'm so glad we live in a time when she gets to keep her head attached.

Oh, nooooooooooooooooooooooooo. I'm a Kathy Griffin superfan. :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :unsure:

Edited by golden*girl

Golden*girl--If I admit I agree with you, does that make me a superfan too?

I think it's almost in the job description for a comedian to be offensive. Even if it's only one person or a small group, if no one is offended, it's not modern comedy. (can you tell I listen to the "uncensored" comedy channel on XM, not the "family" channel? ;) )

This does not mean I agree with everything Kathy Griffin (or any other comedian I might like or dislike) says. But I'm not going to get all up in arms because they said it.

I'm not really a Kathy Griffin fan, but I'd take her any day of the week over an organization that drops $90,000 (!) for a full page ad to register their indignation. How much better that money could be spent, like doing something for the people organization claims is so needy/hurt/offended by something she said. Which, by the way, I would've known nothing about except for the publicity it's now receiving. Christianity would be so much more emraced if it weren't for Christians.

People are idiots, she was not mocking Jesus she was mocking the celebs that thank him for awards they receive. Like she said, Jesus has better things to do than make sure some self-obsorbed celeb wins an award. GO KATHY!!!!

I didn't take offense at KG saying that her award had nothing to do with Jesus. I agree - Jesus has bigger things to think about than a loud-mouthed comedienne winning an award. If she'd stopped there, no problem. But to say "Suck it Jesus" is extremely offensive. She'd be a social pariah if she'd said "Suck it Mohammed," and I don't think many people here would be defending her. I actually like KG; she is loud and hilarious, sometimes offensive but not usually mean-spirited. I think she'd have been better served to say "I was excited about the win and made an unthinking joke in the spur of the moment" instead of "am I the only Catholic left with a sense of humor?" No Kathy, you aren't, but you are one of the few who thinks "Suck it Jesus" is a cool statement to make.

VERY well said! Thank you! I never really "liked" or "dis-liked" KG - she's okay - not the best, not the worst, but personally, AS A CATHOLIC WITH A SENSE OF HUMOR I found that three word statement pretty vulgar and offensive. I wonder how offended those who consider me an "idiot" would be if she expressed the same sentiment toward something/someone they love and hold close to their heart...

Anyway, Kathy Griffin (and Barry Manilow for that matter!!) just need to grow up and realize that THEY (and those with like-minded sentiments and beliefs) are not the ONLY ones, and if someone happens to DISAGREE with their opinions, it doesn't make them an "idiot". It's called having an individual thought process and not going along with whatever happens to be the "popular" opinion of the day!!

VERY well said! Thank you! I never really "liked" or "dis-liked" KG - she's okay - not the best, not the worst, but personally, AS A CATHOLIC WITH A SENSE OF HUMOR I found that three word statement pretty vulgar and offensive. I wonder how offended those who consider me an "idiot" would be if she expressed the same sentiment toward something/someone they love and hold close to their heart...

Anyway, Kathy Griffin (and Barry Manilow for that matter!!) just need to grow up and realize that THEY (and those with like-minded sentiments and beliefs) are not the ONLY ones, and if someone happens to DISAGREE with their opinions, it doesn't make them an "idiot". It's called having an individual thought process and not going along with whatever happens to be the "popular" opinion of the day!!

Maybe I'm wrong, but I didn't take it that daq was calling me personally (or any other Christians here) idiots because of our faith, just the ones spending thousands of dollars on taking out the full page ads. Come on, KG said it for the shock value and media attention and look... those people are giving her even more publicity. She is loving it!

I applauded the original post, not because I'm a KG fan (which I'm not particularly) but just because the original intent of the whole thing seems to have been lost. KG was mocking shallow hypocritical celebrities, not Christians. The same celebrities who have no qualms about sleeping around, using illegal drugs, dressing like prostitutes, and treating people like garbage in their day-to-day life will then accept an award with a speech thanking Jesus for their talent and for giving them a blessed life. However, I do agree with stilllovewestley and tmn9761 that there are less offensive ways to get your point across.

As far as Barry Manilow goes, he's only doing it for the same reasons. Would we even be talking about him now if he didn't make a big deal about refusing to appear on The View? Exactly.

Maybe I'm wrong, but I didn't take it that daq was calling me personally (or any other Christians here) idiots because of our faith, just the ones spending thousands of dollars on taking out the full page ads. Come on, KG said it for the shock value and media attention and look... those people are giving her even more publicity. She is loving it!

I applauded the original post, not because I'm a KG fan (which I'm not particularly) but just because the original intent of the whole thing seems to have been lost. KG was mocking shallow hypocritical celebrities, not Christians. The same celebrities who have no qualms about sleeping around, using illegal drugs, dressing like prostitutes, and treating people like garbage in their day-to-day life will then accept an award with a speech thanking Jesus for their talent and for giving them a blessed life. However, I do agree with stilllovewestley and tmn9761 that there are less offensive ways to get your point across.

As far as Barry Manilow goes, he's only doing it for the same reasons. Would we even be talking about him now if he didn't make a big deal about refusing to appear on The View? Exactly.

Fair enough - I'll give the benefit of the doubt! I completely agree with the publicity angle too - bottom line, that is what it's ALL about in the entertainment industry. Who cares about what's right or wrong or who we may hurt or offend by careless words - as long as it provides publicity, well that makes it "okay". BUT...on the other hand, if it wasn't for that very angle, there would be no gossip sites like Fan ChitChat, and then what in heaven's name would we have to talk about??!! So I say, "Bring it on!"

Wow...what a "spirited" discussion...how did I miss this? Yeah, I wouldn't call people idiots for being offended...I'm just surprised that people would be offended by her "suck it..." comment....just like I'm surprised when I see how Muslims are offended by cartoon representations of Mohammad, or manuscripts written that aren't supportive of their faith...some of them are ready to kill for it. That's why I ask is it really necessary to feel the need to defend the honor of prophets that we honor and love in a spiritual sense, from the unkind words of men/women? I don't get it... :huh:

Wow...what a "spirited" discussion...how did I miss this? Yeah, I wouldn't call people idiots for being offended...I'm just surprised that people would be offended by her "suck it..." comment....just like I'm surprised when I see how Muslims are offended by cartoon representations of Mohammad, or manuscripts written that aren't supportive of their faith...some of them are ready to kill for it. That's why I ask is it really necessary to feel the need to defend the honor of prophets that we honor and love in a spiritual sense, from the unkind words of men/women? I don't get it... :huh:

Hi BobbyD ~

I can only speak for myself, but it's not Jesus' honor or Mohammad's or Buddha's honor that needs to be defended. I took the comment (at first glance - knee jerk reaction) to be mocking "me" or others who are followers of Jesus.

After reading a few posts here though, I don't really think her intent was mean spirited or aimed at anyone in particular - it got her publicity and as I said in my previous post, publicity is what it's all about. I suppose I can liken my offense to someone telling my mom or my daughter to "suck it".

I do think KG probably could have and should have chosen different words. I am what I am - maybe overly sensitive, but telling Jesus, who I love, to "suck it" bothers me.

I know what you mean about judgmental overreactions by various sects and religions. I don't try to force my faith down another's throat, and I am by nature (if nothing else!) a pacifist, so I could not even IMAGINE killing or punishing someone whose beliefs differ from mine, and when I see that happen (not only Muslim Extremists, but also so called Christian Fundamentalists who would have me, a Catholic girl burning in Hell, or Jehovah's Witnesses who believe that only THEY will be amoung a certain limited few to end up in Heaven, or Mormons, or "old-school" Catholics - I could go on - you get the idea) the hypocrisy of it all REALLY strikes a nerve. The same nerve is struck when (as insinuated as the purpose behind KG's statement) I hear the hard partying, slutting, egotistical celebrities who in the light of day are God-less, thank Jesus or whomever for their success. Please. I'd like to believe that this is the point KG was trying to make. The words just really struck me as offensive - for ME - not for the personification of Jesus or any other great prophet.

Hi BobbyD ~

I can only speak for myself, but it's not Jesus' honor or Mohammad's or Buddha's honor that needs to be defended. I took the comment (at first glance - knee jerk reaction) to be mocking "me" or others who are followers of Jesus.

After reading a few posts here though, I don't really think her intent was mean spirited or aimed at anyone in particular - it got her publicity and as I said in my previous post, publicity is what it's all about. I suppose I can liken my offense to someone telling my mom or my daughter to "suck it".

I do think KG probably could have and should have chosen different words. I am what I am - maybe overly sensitive, but telling Jesus, who I love, to "suck it" bothers me.

I know what you mean about judgmental overreactions by various sects and religions. I don't try to force my faith down another's throat, and I am by nature (if nothing else!) a pacifist, so I could not even IMAGINE killing or punishing someone whose beliefs differ from mine, and when I see that happen (not only Muslim Extremists, but also so called Christian Fundamentalists who would have me, a Catholic girl burning in Hell, or Jehovah's Witnesses who believe that only THEY will be amoung a certain limited few to end up in Heaven, or Mormons, or "old-school" Catholics - I could go on - you get the idea) the hypocrisy of it all REALLY strikes a nerve. The same nerve is struck when (as insinuated as the purpose behind KG's statement) I hear the hard partying, slutting, egotistical celebrities who in the light of day are God-less, thank Jesus or whomever for their success. Please. I'd like to believe that this is the point KG was trying to make. The words just really struck me as offensive - for ME - not for the personification of Jesus or any other great prophet.

FWIW, tmn9761, I agree with you wholeheartedly. I wasn't saying that KG's comment wasn't inappropriate or that I think that anything's OK for a bit of publicity. Not at all. But while I did take offense to her words, I am more offended by the celebrities and other public figures who have made a continual mockery of my faith with their hypocrisy, lies and self-righteous judgement of others. How many more "Christian family men" are going to be exposed as adulterers, perverts and paedophiles? How many more of "God's faithful servants" are going to preach hate and judgement on their brothers because they are different from themselves? How many more celebrities are going to "find Jesus" the minute their life goes down the toilet and then forget about their so-called faith the second they are OK? Those are the people that are the most offensive to me.

FWIW, tmn9761, I agree with you wholeheartedly. I wasn't saying that KG's comment wasn't inappropriate or that I think that anything's OK for a bit of publicity. Not at all. But while I did take offense to her words, I am more offended by the celebrities and other public figures who have made a continual mockery of my faith with their hypocrisy, lies and self-righteous judgement of others. How many more "Christian family men" are going to be exposed as adulterers, perverts and pedaephiles? How many more of "God's faithful servants" are going to preach hate and judgement on their brothers because they are different from themselves? How many more celebrities are going to "find Jesus" the minute their life goes down the toilet and then forget about their so-called faith the second they are OK? Those are the people that are the most offensive to me.

VERY well stated, leaivory ~ the hate mongers who hide under the pretense or guise of so called "holiness" - clergy who abuse the "title", are the TRUE offenders. Although I can't say for sure because obviously I wasn't around 2,000 or so years ago when Jesus walked the earth in the flesh as a man, I don't believe that the hierarchy of the day (neither religious nor secular) were too pleased because He had them over a barrel and they knew it - from the time of His birth until He was a grown man when they finally put Him to death. He saw right through the hypocisy though and He called them on it. He even lashed out in anger in the temple at the hypocrites, LOL and all I can say is if you've done something bad enough to make JESUS mad at you, well, you are in for SOME TROUBLE! For the most part, they were like the celebrities we refer to - when they were "on", it's all about showing the world how pious they are, but behind the scenes, when the spotlight focuses elsewhere, they are nothing but liars, thieves, and cheaters. I would LIKE to believe that this was KG's way of addressing that behavior. I THINK I get it, but I'd rather she'd just skipped the last three words. Maybe it's just the 12 years of Catholic schooling in me, and maybe I DO need to just lighten up, but those words really BOTHER me! I can't help it!

FWIW, tmn9761, I agree with you wholeheartedly. I wasn't saying that KG's comment wasn't inappropriate or that I think that anything's OK for a bit of publicity. Not at all. But while I did take offense to her words, I am more offended by the celebrities and other public figures who have made a continual mockery of my faith with their hypocrisy, lies and self-righteous judgement of others. How many more "Christian family men" are going to be exposed as adulterers, perverts and pedaephiles? How many more of "God's faithful servants" are going to preach hate and judgement on their brothers because they are different from themselves? How many more celebrities are going to "find Jesus" the minute their life goes down the toilet and then forget about their so-called faith the second they are OK? Those are the people that are the most offensive to me.

VERY well stated, leaivory ~ the hate mongers who hide under the pretense or guise of so called "holiness" - clergy who abuse the "title", are the TRUE offenders. Although I can't say for sure because obviously I wasn't around 2,000 or so years ago when Jesus walked the earth in the flesh as a man, I don't believe that the hierarchy of the day (neither religious nor secular) were too pleased because He had them over a barrel and they knew it - from the time of His birth until He was a grown man when they finally put Him to death. He saw right through the hypocisy though and He called them on it. He even lashed out in anger in the temple at the hypocrites, LOL and all I can say is if you've done something bad enough to make JESUS mad at you, well, you are in for SOME TROUBLE! For the most part, they were like the celebrities we refer to - when they were "on", it's all about showing the world how pious they are, but behind the scenes, when the spotlight focuses elsewhere, they are nothing but liars, thieves, and cheaters. I would LIKE to believe that this was KG's way of addressing that behavior. I THINK I get it, but I'd rather she'd just skipped the last three words. Maybe it's just the 12 years of Catholic schooling in me, and maybe I DO need to just lighten up, but those words really BOTHER me! I can't help it!

I hear you...and you have a right to feel the way you do. And I'm in no position to tell you that you are in the right or wrong. I just will say that if we are followers and believers in the faith/religion that we love, then wouldn't this be trivial in the grand scheme of things?...and can't we smile or shrug at such utter nonsense? I kinda smiled because it seems like it was designed to offend those who can't step back and say "whatever" and it was also a poke at hyprocrisy...she's not offending our beliefs, because spiritually our beliefs should be above idle comedy schtick and satire from tired ass human beings who want press and to shake up the system...and I'm also being general to include muslims who want to kill at the drop of a hat what they see is offensive or mocking of their prophet. Basically if you believe in something spiritual...what on earth can be offensive to that spiritual being or to you? That's it...didn't mean to get all theological...lol.

Great discussion, and I do see and respect everyone's points. ;)

I hear you...and you have a right to feel the way you do. And I'm in no position to tell you that you are in the right or wrong. I just will say that if we are followers and believers in the faith/religion that we love, then wouldn't this be trivial in the grand scheme of things?...and can't we smile or shrug at such utter nonsense? I kinda smiled because it seems like it was designed to offend those who can't step back and say "whatever" and it was also a poke at hyprocrisy...she's not offending our beliefs, because spiritually our beliefs should be above idle comedy schtick and satire from tired ass human beings who want press and to shake up the system...and I'm also being general to include muslims who want to kill at the drop of a hat what they see is offensive or mocking of their prophet. Basically if you believe in something spiritual...what on earth can be offensive to that spiritual being or to you? That's it...didn't mean to get all theological...lol.

Great discussion, and I do see and respect everyone's points. ;)

You know, this is what bugs me about myself - I SHOULD be able to just shrug it off because what you've said makes perfect sense. Hmmmm - maybe this is one of those moments of enlightenment for me, and perhaps I should take advantage of it! In over 40 decades, people have said a lot worse things directly TO me than "suck it, Terri", and I survived, and even laughed in response most of the time. Besides, I think Jesus probably has LOTS of more important issues to deal with and guide us through than something, just as you said, so trivial. Wow you guys! Thanks for the therapy session!! So okay - I'll let the three words go and un-bunch my panties!! For now anyway! Baby steps!

Kathy Griffin still dating Apple Co-founder Steve Wozniak

Posted Image

Kathy Griffin is still dating Apple co-founder and billionaire Steve Wozniak. The two showed up to the opening of Diablo’s Cantina at the Monte Carlo in Las Vegas this past weekend.

(Rush/Molloy)

Michelle 'Lost' in Vegas before finding way to jail

She may be heading to the slammer in less than two months, but Michelle Rodriguez wasn't going to let that keep her from getting her party on in Vegas last weekend. The "Lost" actress was spotted at the opening of Diablo's Cantina at the Monte Carlo, where she happily spun the "Wheel of Sin," a novelty game that determines the drink specials of the hour. Convicted last week of violating her probation on previous drunken-driving and hit-and-run offenses, Rodriguez is due to start her term on Christmas Eve. Kathy Griffin was also in attendance, arriving with her beau, Apple co-founder Steve Wozniak, and getting a little devilish with some Diablo's staffers. Also seen in Sin City: Pink and her biker-hubby, Carey Hart. The two were in town at the Supercross tournament and were spotted "enjoying each other's company" while dining at L'Atelier in the MGM Grand.

BANNED BY BABS

Page Six

January 29, 2008 -- THERE'S a first time for everything, and for the first time in her career, Kathy Griffin was re-banned from a show. "I was supposed to be on 'The View' [today]," said Griffin, who performs her final sold-out stand-up show tonight at Madison Square Garden. "But then I get a call from [producer] Bill Geddie, and he says, 'You were too mean to Barbara [Walters] on your last special, so you can't come on.' Can you believe it? I've been banned before but never re-banned!" Griffin does a spot-on impersonation of Walters, but she didn't insult the TV legend any more than usual on her last special for Bravo.

BANNED BY BABS

Page Six

January 29, 2008 -- THERE'S a first time for everything, and for the first time in her career, Kathy Griffin was re-banned from a show. "I was supposed to be on 'The View' [today]," said Griffin, who performs her final sold-out stand-up show tonight at Madison Square Garden. "But then I get a call from [producer] Bill Geddie, and he says, 'You were too mean to Barbara [Walters] on your last special, so you can't come on.' Can you believe it? I've been banned before but never re-banned!" Griffin does a spot-on impersonation of Walters, but she didn't insult the TV legend any more than usual on her last special for Bravo.

I was at her show the other night at the WaMU theater in MSG. She was funny and she had some spot on observations of Brit Brit, Dr. Phil, and Barbara Walters. I'm curious to see how they edit the show for a tv special.

It's too bad about the view... I might have tuned in to see her. Those hags are so boring.

Yeah, I'm thinking the reason she's banned is less that she's made fun of Barbara and more that she'd upstage all of them because she's so funny :P Yes, I'm a big Kathy fan :unsure:

Barbara Walters Needs To Lighten Up

Posted Image

Kathy Griffin said that she's been banned AGAIN by Barbara Walters and isn't allowed on "The View" anymore. Kathy told Page Six that she was banned for making fun of Babs. She said, "I was supposed to be on 'The View' today. But then I get a call from [producer] Bill Geddie, and he says, 'You were too mean to Barbara [Walters] on your last special, so you can't come on.' Can you believe it? I've been banned before but never re-banned!"

As Babs gets older, she's becoming more of a baby. Hand her a bottle of warm milk. Babs should know better. What she should have done is bring Kathy on the show, confront her, tell her to "go to hell", slap her and then kick her off the show. YouTube gold! Babs missed a perfect opportunity.

http://www.dlisted.com/

(Defamer)

Scientology

Kathy Griffin's Newest Stand-Up Target? Scientology, Of Course!

At last night's sold-out, tranny-filled Kathy Griffin stand-up show at Madison Square Garden, Kath slayed the audience with a brand-new act that leaned heavily on Scientology skewering material. You see, one of Kathy's best friends was a Sex and the City writer/producer named Judy Toll, who died in 2002 from complications of melanoma. Toll joined Scientology in an attempt to network with bigwigs in the entertainment industry, but then swiftly realized that she needed to get out as fast as she could. Only prob? Anyone seeking an exit sign from Tom Cruise's House of Horrors needs, according to Griffin, "a lawyer who specializes in getting people out of cults."

After Kathy asked the audience if they knew any other celeb Scientologists (the audience gleefully shouted out names like "Jason Lee!" and "Giovanni Ribisi!"), she then delved deeper into Toll's involvement with the Church. She went on to explain to the audience of 20,000 people that her understanding of "auditing" is that it's just a series of therapy appointments in which you list everyone you've ever slept with, what your sexual preferences are, all while being recorded by either a videographer or, in the older days, a simple voice recorder. Scariest part? Toll, being rich and naive enough to keep on truckin' up the "levels" of "cleanliness" the Church takes you through, was forced to purchase an "e-meter to measure her toxin levels." Griffin says the e-meter cost Toll the equivalent of one season's pay as a writer on a hit HBO show. All so the Church could have, on record, proof that she took a few doobie puffs and put back a few bubblies every now and then. Question: how many toxins does it take to get that Tom Cruise-y pupil-less look that's so trendy these days?

:) I love Kathy Griffith!! The View doesn't want her on because she is funny!!! Joy tries to be funny, but isn't. Baba can't take a joke! She does make them look bad.

TOO, KATHY!

Page Six

January 31, 2008 -- KATHY Griffin knows her journalism. The flame-haired funnywoman declared her love for The Post multiple times during her side-splitting, sold-out Madison Square Garden show Monday night. Griffin - whose Bravo series, "My Life on the D-List," centers largely on her ploys to get press - confessed she's dialed up Page Six in hopes of being mentioned. Meanwhile, after the performance, Griffin high-tailed it to the HQ Lounge in Flatbush, where she met Tanisha and Hanna of her favorite show, Oxygen's "The Bad Girls Club." "They taught her how to 'pop off,' " said our spy. "It's the way of warning housemates a fight is about to erupt." Griffin was trailed by Bravo cameras for her show.

Kathy Griffin and Apple Billionaire Split

Kathy Griffin has split from billionaire Apple co-founder Steve Wozniak.

"He is an awesome guy, but I have to say he is in the friends category now," Griffin, 47, told Usmagazine.com at the GLAAD Awards in L.A. Saturday.

"As a matter of fact," she added, "I got an email last week from him, and he is going to marry someone else... I think he might be married. I don’t really know that for sure, though."

She insisted there are no hard feelings: He even appears on the upcoming season of her Bravo reality show.

"He is really cute and funny on it," she said, adding, "He's totally a life-long friend."

Griffin and Wozniak, 57, met last year after he watched her perform in Saratoga.

Griffin split from husband Matt Moline in 2006.

Source: Us Weekly