princess

Rosie O'Donnell

As much as I hate Star Jones, I absolutely LOATHE Rosie O'Donnell. I, personally, think she hurts gay causes more than helps them. You have to make people understand why they should be supporting your cause, not constantly berating everyone with a difference of opinion. I'm not expecting everyone to change their minds on gay rights, and I strongly feel that the vast majority agree with her. She comes off as just as ignorant as the bigots she moans about all the time.And let's not forget this beautiful pearl of wisdom:"You're a liar. And liars get cancer." --> Rosie saying that to a breast cancer survivor she was fighting in court.

I, personally, think she hurts gay causes more than helps them. You have to make people understand why they should be supporting your cause, not constantly berating everyone with a difference of opinion. I'm not expecting everyone to change their minds on gay rights, and I strongly feel that the vast majority agree with her.

very well said, Babloo!

I also thought it was strange and offensive that she berated Tom Selleck for being a member of the NRA and meanwhile her own kids' bodyguard was packin' an unlicensed gun... Again, she didn't exactly help her cause with that one!

:huh: I really liked Rosie a long time ago, but now I just wonder what has made her so bitter? She just doesn't seem like a happy person. I will not watch her when she takes over The View. I do believe she will take over the whole show.

IMO Rosie O'Donnell is super-cool. I think she is really brave to express her opinions & speak out on issues close to her heart. I do wish she thought more before she spoke, but I wish that about myself, as well! As for the bitterness, I honestly can't blame any gay person for feeling bitter about the bigotry they face. It never ceases to amaze me how much hatred people have for the gay community.

Oh, and I absolutely LOVE that she called Star out on her weight loss. I hated The View before, but would actually watch it with Rosie as the moderator. (not that I will actually watch it as I am at work during the day!)

I remember seeing Rosie guest-host on the View a few times. She always seemed pleasant, like she was trying to remind us all of "sweet Rosie."She also always wore some hideous denim vest thing that made her look huge. I think it was made by some designer friend of hers she was trying to popularize, but it looked like something her kids made.

As much as I hate Star Jones, I absolutely LOATHE Rosie O'Donnell. I, personally, think she hurts gay causes more than helps them. You have to make people understand why they should be supporting your cause, not constantly berating everyone with a difference of opinion. I'm not expecting everyone to change their minds on gay rights, and I strongly feel that the vast majority agree with her. She comes off as just as ignorant as the bigots she moans about all the time.And let's not forget this beautiful pearl of wisdom:"You're a liar. And liars get cancer." --> Rosie saying that to a breast cancer survivor she was fighting in court.

I don't like Rosie, but I hate Star even more for some reason.Having said that, however, I was working in publishing when Rosie had her magazine, and she was absolutely horrible to her employees. I had a firsthand discussion with one of the editors, and Rosie was completely nasty to everyone who worked for her. Everything that came out about Rosie during that lawsuit was absolutely true.

Not a nice person. Star (-_-) may have been the only one on the View with the cojones to stand up to her. I think this show is on its last legs.

I think just the opposite. Star was such an idiot, I would never watch that show. Rosie will be able to bring some levity back to a show that had become very tedious. I can't wait to see it. Especally when Rosie gives it to that Bush loving knucklehead. Don't even know her name...Elizabeth?

Rosie's already getting prickly Could Rosie O'Donnell be destined for a very short run on "The View"?Fans have been wondering how the Type A chat queen will fare as a team member with Barbara Walters, Joy ­Behar and Elisabeth Hasselbeck. And even before her first appearance, O'Donnell is venting frustration on her personal Web site.In one of her trademark loopy blog haikus, she wrote: "i saw the new view promos / and found myself in the ­position / i loathe most / powerless / it will be hard 4 me /2 not b / the boss / it is already / and we have only just ­begun."That sound you just heard was Star Jones cackling with glee.

Rosie to Battle Barbara Walters in Steel Couch Match

Us Weekly

Rosie O’Donnell hasn’t even started on the The View, but is already having problems being a team player. The incoming talk show host, who is replacing Meredith Vieira and joining Barbara Walters, Joy ­Behar and Elisabeth Hasselbeck on the couch, laid the smack down html-style on her “r” blog last week. In one of her signature confounding haikus, she writes:

“i saw the new view promos / and found myself in the ­position / i loathe most / powerless / it will be hard 4 me /2 not b / the boss / it is already / and we have only just ­begun.”

How long do you think till she’s pushing back the furniture and hiding behind sofa cushion forts while launching full water glasses at Elisabeth’s head? We have two days in the Us online office pool.

Update: Just when we thought The View producers were going to have to put tape down the center of the couch to keep peace on the show, Rosie posts the following conciliatory message on her site:

i am excited about the view

like a new kid on the first day of school

hoping they all like me

that i fit in

cuz there is nothing better

then being a cast member

Looks like someone got a call from ABC.

cuz there is nothing better

then being a cast member[/i]

Interesting use of the word "cast" which implies she'll be playing a character on the View. When I worked at Disneyland, they referred to us as cast members, even in food service.

Then again, this could have been ABC's short term, SURE FIRE way to get rid of Star (hiring Rosie). Maybe Rosie is even in on it. ;)

Will Rosie add more weirdness to ‘The View’?Without stable Meredith Vieira, show feels more like ‘Jerry Springer’COMMENTARYBy Frazier MooreUpdated: 12:19 a.m. PT Aug 29, 2006NEW YORK - The idea Barbara Walters had for “The View” a decade ago was a multigenerational panel of women hosting something akin to Regis Philbin’s “Live” crossed with ABC News’ “This Week.”It was a great idea, and it worked for years.But lately “The View” seems to be adding “The Jerry Springer Show” to its mix.Where, before, the sisters were doing it for themselves, now they seem just a little too keen to do it to each other. In the process, they’re tarnishing the series with discord and tacky behavior.So what’s in sight for “The View” upon the imminent arrival of Rosie O’Donnell as its new panelist and, omigosh, its moderator? Anything but moderate, is Rosie really the right choice to restore cohesiveness, fruitful debate and good vibes to this sisterly salon?She joins the show (which airs weekdays at 11 a.m. ET on ABC) on Tuesday, Sept. 5, as it starts its 10th season. But she seems less a solution than another problem brewing. And an odd replacement for Meredith Vieira (who left in June for NBC’s “Today”).Vieira, the show’s original moderator, was both traffic cop and cutup, not to mention easy on the eyes. With equal dexterity she could drop a candid revelation (say, her personal aversion to underwear) or draw on her distinguished TV news background for the “Hot Topics” segment that kicks off each hour. She even displayed a knack for handling the increasingly diva-ish, exhibitionist Star Jones Reynolds.Reynolds finally wore out her welcome, and was fired or quit (take your pick) in June. That took care of the tacky behavior.Hasselbeck creates tensionBut the strained mood remains, in no small part thanks to Elisabeth Hasselbeck, who since late 2003 has filled the show’s twentysomething slot, despite acting more like a high-strung teenage priss.Besides Walters, the other remaining charter member is Joy Behar, a standup comic whose role as the middle-aged wag has become more urgent as she’s called upon to use her wit to help defuse the tension.But sometimes only the show’s grande dame can put the brakes on Hasselbeck’s motor-mouth. Growing more and more exercised during a recent discussion of the “day-after” birth control pill, she finally compelled Walters to restore order. “Elisabeth,” said Walters with don’t-push-it-I’m-the-boss firmness — “calm down.”Will Walters be forced to keep Rosie in line, too?To put it mildly, Rosie is a creature of extremes. She was dubbed the “Queen of Nice” for her hit daytime talk show that aired for six years starting in 1996. But one element of this overwrought “niceness” was her fetish for celebrities.Routinely she mooned over Tom (“my Tommy”) Cruise, of course. But her fawning reached record heights with the legendary visit to her show by Barbra Streisand, whom Rosie received with a pageant of trembling hands, confessions of nervous diarrhea and a sobbing pronouncement that “you were a constant source of light in an often dark childhood.”Rosie habitually swings between blinding light and oppressive darkness.Around the time she called it quits for her show in May 2002 (to help raise her four children with her partner, Kelli Carpenter O’Donnell), she formally announced she was a lesbian — or “just a big-mouthed fat lesbian” who “ain’t so nice,” as she described herself a few months later in her standup comedy act.Rosie doesn't always equal successHer namesake magazine, Rosie, ended its stormy 21-month run in December 2002, by which time she had already bailed, claiming the publishers had wrested control from her. Dueling lawsuits and damning testimony about her unhinged management style came next.In 2003, she produced a Broadway musical, “Taboo,” that starred pop-star has-been Boy George. It closed after three months, losing most of her $10 million stake.Now she’s about to start a new gig, and, though unavailable for press interviews, she’s been yacking about it on her blog — not always in the most collegial terms.“it will be hard 4 me 2 not b the boss,” she wrote recently in a style reminiscent of the poet e e cummings. “it is already and we have only just begun.”Elsewhere on her blog, she responded to a fan concerned about her pre-arrival beefing. “the discord is internal inside myself,” Rosie insisted. “feelings are not fights.”Can she keep that “internal turmoil inside myself” inside herself while starring on a freewheeling talk show like “The View”? Can Rosie, one of whose numerous identities is that of a raging liberal, possibly keep her cool alongside Hasselbeck, a devout mouthpiece for “family values” as the term has been snared by the religious right?Or is that the point? Is hiring a volatile figure like Rosie a calculated move to ensure “Jerry Springer”-like clashes? Is Rosie, a conflicted and polarizing personality, meant to lock horns with Hasselbeck, fulminating daily from the other extreme?Whatever’s the case, Rosie just might find when she gets to “The View” that it’s very hard 4 her 2 keep it all 2together.Copyright 2006 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

Rosie to Watch Her Mouth on The View

WEDNESDAY AUGUST 30, 2006 05:00PM EST

By Stephen M. Silverman

As Rosie O'Donnell's first day on The View nears – she and a new set, complete with proscenium arch, will debut Sept. 5 – ABC's standards and practices department has met with the erstwhile Queen of Nice to remind her to watch her language on the air.

In her haiku-style blog, O'Donnell writes of the meeting, "they told me all the stuff i know/ still made me panic/ a little."

She also writes that she rarely slipped up while hosting her talk show Rosie: "i only cursed once/ in 6 years of live tv/ i said/ all this useless s– stuck in my head/ to lucie arnaz i believe/ oops."

Answering questions from fans, O'Donnell writes that that she has inherited Meredith Vieira's dressing room and that when she steps onto The View's set for her first day, she'll be thinking, "here we go."

Asked about for Vieira's comment to Time magazine – which Vieira has said was taken out of context – that The View has become "a joke," O'Donnell says, "she did not diss barbara (walters)/ everybody breathe."

Meanwhile, O'Donnell tells PEOPLE she's spending time with her family during her remaining days of freedom before starting the show. “I am spending some time with my kids and just taking advantage of being with them,” she said Tuesday night at Kanye West's private concert for American Express cardholders in New York City.

O'Donnell, a big fan of West, says she admires his music and his commitment to his beliefs, including his controversial comments about the government's response to Hurricane Katrina last year. "He walks the walk and doesn't back down from what he really feels," she said. "I really like that about him."

Though she once famously nursed a crush on Tom Cruise, O'Donnell says another man has captured her attention – Nip/Tuck star Julian McMahon. “I fell in love with Julian McMahon while taping this show," she said. (She guest stars in an upcoming episode.) "I still love my old Tommy, but Julian is gorgeous – he’s my new Tommy!"

Rosie O'Donnell has already blogged about meeting with standards and practices at ABC -- she's been warned about what she can and can't say. But, today, a Gatecrasher spy says that the gab queen was telling people at a Kanye West concert that the list of verboten words is now a little more than the seven that George Carlin made famous: "[Rosie] was complaining about the list of '360 words' she's not allowed to say on the air" ...

TMZ

Barbara Walters has asked her new View co-host Rosie O'Donnell to stop blogging about the show. "I didn't like the blog," Walters said recently in Newsweek while discussing her hopes for the show. "I'm counting on Rosie's intelligence and sensitivity and humor. This is, after all, an entertainment show. It is based on people who like each other and are having a good time, not on people who are arguing and unhappy." O'Donnell posted a less-than-favorable message on her site after shooting some promos for the show, saying, "I saw the View promos. Found myself/in the position/I loathe the most/powerless." Shortly after Walters spoke to Newsweek, she called the mag back to tell them she'd just flowers from Rosie along with a note that read, "Barbara, I only want the promos and the show to be great. And I love you. Love, Ro."

source: ohnotheydidnt

"Fame is a drug, and it distorts your perspective, everyone's perspective, from Tom Cruise to Star (Jones) to me - every one. My life was so fast [before]. I didn't have time to sit home and go to Target and be among the real people, which is what I am. I haven't had [fame] for four years in the intensity that I had it before. I think a balance would be nice. I don't know if I can do it, or what effect it's going to have on my family or on me. I feel like I'm testing the waters. I'll try to make it work, but if it doesn't, that's all right. It's hard sometimes for me to ask people, I'm back. Love me again. It feels a little greedy, like I'm taking too much."

- Rosie O'Donnell, in the new issue of Newsweek

from perez

"It feels a little greedy, like I'm taking too much."

- Rosie O'Donnell, in the new issue of Newsweek

from perez

Errrr.... Rosie? It's about giving. Concentrate on GIVING and you won't have to worry about the rest.

"View" Comes Up Rosie

by Gina Serpe

Sep 5, 2006, 8:35 AM PT

For Rosie O'Donnell, The View looks great.

After more than four months of nonstop hype and speculation, O'Donnell made her daytime television comeback Tuesday as moderator of The View, kicking off a day of returns as two of the most high-profile TV personalities make their highly anticipated homecomings to the airwaves. (Katie Couric gets her CBS Evening News close-up tonight.)

Since O'Donnell was tapped to replace the Today show-bound Meredith Vieira in April, much has been posited of O'Donnell's debut: Had the onetime Queen of Nice turned mean? Would Star Jones Reynolds be hung in effigy? Were there any remaining vestiges of that ill-conceived Flock of Seagulls hairdo?

As it turns out, it's no on all counts.

Surprisingly, O'Donnell's much-heralded return to daytime lacked the pomp and circumstance many expected, with her inaugural hour playing out relatively low-key.

Aside from the compulsory hoots and hollers when the new foursome--O'Donnell, Joy Behar, Elisabeth Hasselbeck and Barbara Walters--entered the studio, it was on to chat as usual.

"What's all the fuss about?" O'Donnell asked before introducing herself. "My name is Meredith Vieira and welcome to The View.

"It's my first day on The View, I'm in the Meredith chair and it's exciting," she said, before assuring the audience a kinder, gentler O'Donnell had returned.

"I had that crazy haircut that scared America to death," she said. "I've been taking my medication."

She also pointed out that while the longstanding object of her affection, Tom Cruise, may not approve of her meds, he nonetheless sent her an enormous bouquet of flowers to herald her arrival.

It was then on to the Hot Topics segement, but not without a little exchange between Behar and O'Donnell.

"And you all thought I was going to have problems with Elisabeth," O'Donnell said.

She also proved to be her old giveaway-loving self when, in lieu of flinging Koosh balls into the crowd, she handed out miniature cruise ship figurines to the audience--representing the two-day cruises everyone would be receiving.

"This is just the beginning," she said.

Of course, it wasn't all about O'Donnell.

Jessica Simpson, fresh off a week of canceled TV gigs and an unsuccessful performance on the Today show Friday, was the debut guest for the show's 10th season.

Simpson reportedly agreed to appear as a favor to O'Donnell, who regularly slotted the pre-Newlyweds singer on The Rosie O'Donnell Show before Simpson was a household name. That, and to plug her new CD.

And get grilled on her dating habits.

"I'm actually not dating John Mayer," she said, disputing the People magazine cover story. "They put these quotes saying I'm in love. He's my friend, I've known him a couple years."

But despite the success of O'Donnell's first day on the job, not all things Rosie are just peachy.

Before her first day on the job, O'Donnell already managed to irk the boss, courtesy of a posting to her blog on Rosie.com.

Last month, the newest View cohost took issue with, of all things, the show's seemingly innocuous TV promos for the 10th season, which play off O'Donnell's musical theater background with the ladies singing and dancing about "shaking up The View."

"I saw the new view promos/found myself/in the position/i loathe the most/powerless," she wrote in her trademark style.

Walters, however, didn't appreciate the poetic critique.

"I didn't like the blog," she told Newsweek. "I'm counting on Rosie's intelligence and sensitivity and humor. This is, after all, an entertainment show. It is based on people who like each other and are having a good time, not on people who are arguing and unhappy."

O'Donnell, however, scoffed at the report during the Hot Topics segment of the show Tuesday, saying she knew Walters wasn't upset because she likely never even saw the post.

"She doesn't know how to get on Internet Explorer, what are they talking about?" O'Donnell said. "I was nervous and emotional...[Now] I'm ecstatic."

It may be a moot point anyway.

Walters told the news magazine shortly after the interview that she received flowers and a note from her newest charge apologizing for the incident.

"Barbara, I only want the promos and the show to be great," it read. "And I love you. Love, Ro."

Walters told the magazine she will be hiring a fifth cohost once O'Donnell has settled in.

Rosie's View Debuts – with Jessica

TUESDAY SEPTEMBER 05, 2006 12:25PM EST

By Stephen M. Silverman and Mark Dagostino

New cohost Rosie O'Donnell kicked off her first day on The View – and the show's 10th season premiere – with an A-list guest: her old pal Jessica Simpson.

O'Donnell tried to get to the bottom of reports that Simpson is dating singer John Mayer. "You don't want to say, but maybe?" O'Donnell pleaded.

"She just goes right there!" Simpson said, slightly stunned, then added, "I'm not actually dating John Mayer."

"I think the 'dating' part is wrong," said a skeptical Joy Behar, who – like cohosts Elisabeth Hasselbeck and even the venerable Barbara Walters – often had a hard time getting a word in during the hour.

O'Donnell opened the show with a grand entrance, saying, "Like it or not, here I am!" as she walked onstage arm-in-arm with Walters.

After a standing ovation from the studio audience, O'Donnell and Walters took their seats alongside Behar and Hasselbeck at a new table. "For goodness sake," Walters said once the ovation finally died down, "what's all the fuss about?"

"It's about the new set, whaddaya think?" shot back O'Donnell, who said the redesigned backdrop no longer looks like "your grandmother's living room."

O'Donnell also pointed out a large floral arrangement at the foot of the stage, a gift she said came from the "very nice guy" Tom Cruise. Walters said they would talk about him on Wednesday.

The group launched into their daily "Hot Topics" discussion, talking about toilet training (thanks to Hasselbeck) and the growth of pubescent pubic hair (O'Donnell's contribution) and O'Donnell's blogging, which Walters brought up.

Denying she was upset by one of O'Donnell's online comments, as she'd told Newsweek, Walters said, "I have never read a blog."

O'Donnell apologized anyway, saying she'd never write about the show again without first running her message past Walters. She also pointed out that she no longer has "the haircut that scared America." Her hair is "going to be long from now on," she said. "And I'm taking my medicines, so everything's going to be fine."

Off-camera, during the first commercial break, O'Donnell was high-fived by Walters and Behar and fist-knocked across the table by Hasselbeck. She also complained to producer Bill Geddie, "I can't hear a thing."

Because O'Donnell was famous for giving away gifts on her eponymous talk show, each member of the View studio audience received a toy boat – as well as a two-night cruise aboard the brand new Royal Caribbean Liberty II (the first gift The View has ever given away, Walters noted). Audience members also received copies of Simpson's new CD, A Public Affair.

Another Rosie touch: Cookies and juice were provided to those standing in line before the show. Asked how the new star was feeling, O'Donnell's partner, Kelly Carpenter, told PEOPLE, "She's pumped." And Kelly? "I'm nervous, actually."

Rosie Plumps For Tom on "View"

Posted Sep 6th 2006 5:24PM by TMZ Staff

http://www.blogsmithmedia.com/www.tmz.com/...bc_0906_275.jpg

Yesterday, Rosie was giving away cruises. Today, she was standing up for them.

On Day Two of the Rosie Era on "The View," the show's newest co-host stepped up to defend her oft-proclaimed favorite male actor Tom Cruise, professing her love for him -- "He's the perfect man" -- despite his public stance against antidepressants. "I don't care what he thinks about antidepressants," said Rosie, displaying the Vanity Fair with baby Suri's pictures, "I still love him." O'Donnell has been vocal about her own use of pharmaceuticals, and -- as she informed us yesterday -- has been taking them faithfully, whereupon Joy wondered aloud what might happen if she stopped taking the drugs.

Rosie also suggested that the new "Survivor -- which is being divided by ethnicities -- should add a fifth team of mixed race bound by homosexuality, because, as she explained, "Gay people always win [reality shows]."