MMM1

What are you reading?

I really like the Historian. My mom thought it was "eh". (she's just finishing up the 2 Philippa Gregory books I lent her) I'm on a mystery kick at the moment--Murder at the Opera (Margaret Truman) and Break No Bones (Kathy Reichs)....

Just finished reading An Interpretation of Murder. Very engrossing and enjoyable.

I've had The Historian on my "to read" pile for months now. Is it immediately involving or will I have to work at it? I'm so braindead from work half the time anymore that I need something that will suck me in from page one (or at least page twenty) or I give up and read Vanity Fair (magazine, not Thackeray) or People.

Just finished reading An Interpretation of Murder. Very engrossing and enjoyable.

I've had The Historian on my "to read" pile for months now. Is it immediately involving or will I have to work at it? I'm so braindead from work half the time anymore that I need something that will suck me in from page one (or at least page twenty) or I give up and read Vanity Fair (magazine, not Thackeray) or People.

I guess I got interested in 50 pages, give or take. But there is -- surprise, surprise -- so much history in it, that I get bored with it at times. I should be finished with it by now...but I'm not. It's interesting, but not to the point I can't put it down.

I was a history major as an undergrad and have been reading a lot of historical fiction lately, so I guess I was "in the mood" when I read the Historian--it quickly engaged me and I read through it fairly quickly. Guess it just depends on what you like and what you're in the mood for (it's not something I'd ever recommend taking on a beach vacation ;) )

Just got Mistress of the Art of Death from the library--very excited to start! (but have to finish the mystery I'm reading now) Did I post about that? It's a 12th century mystery about a feminist scientist (original forensics) Got a couple of decent reviews and sounds like something I'd really like. I'll try to post back after I finish!

Just got done with Point Deception by Marcia Muller. I kept thinking the entire time what a great book for the plane or the beach - A nice little mystery and a quick read. I know nothing about the author or her other books. I was in a used book story pondering the fact that they didn't have Twelve Sharp in and the owner recommended this one.

Next up is Point Blank by Catherine Coulter or Honeymoon by James Patterson & Howard Roughan. The way I choose my books is to go to Costco and pick from the ones that say "New York Times bestsellers". I've usually been pretty happy that way. :D

I need to read more, especially since I feel dumber every passing day I don't. Stupid college.

I'm currently reading American Psycho. It's a pretty good read, but it seems to be lacking some kind of "wow" factor I usually get whenever I read a great book that I can't put down. I enjoyed the movie (and who didn't, with that hot piece Christian Bale) - but something's slightly off about this book. There's only so much drug addiction, alcoholism, misogyny, misanthropism a person can take.

I also read Life of Pi recently. One of the best books I have ever read. Something about it really struck with me, and even though the conclusion kind of hammers it in, it's hard not to fall in love with something as interesting as that book.

Next up: rereading The Adventures of Kavalier and Clay or Angela's Ashes. Whichever one I feel like picking up. I do want to read The Virgin Queen based on Cracker's opinion. Anyone have any suggestions on Phillipa Gregory novels (I loved The Other Boleyn Girl btw)?

I read the Constant Princess a couple months ago (Ph. Gregory, about Katharine of Aragon) and really enjoyed it. I've loved all the Tudor-focussed Gregory books. The Virgin's Lover might be my favorite, but it's hard to choose!

I finished a bunch of books this weekend--Mistress of the Art of Death by Ariana Franklin--loved it! A little slow reading the first chapter as I adapted to the writing style (sort of long-winded and convoluted but not terrible--by the 2nd chapter I was fine!) If you like history and either Patricia Cornwall or Kathy Reichs books, you'll like it. Also read Left Bank by Kate Muir. Sort of weird, similar to Le Divorce but I liked it a LOT more.(I think Le Divorce was highly overrated and I still haven't seen the movie adaptation :rolleyes: )

Just found out there's a new Sophie Kinsella Shopaholic book out (Shopaholic and Baby I think) I've read all those and enjoy so I'll request that next time I'm at the library.

Just finished Welcome To Temptation by Jennifer Crusie. This woman is hilarious. Probably the epitome of contemporary romantic farce. Think quick funny dialogue, with just enough smart ass to make you laugh out loud. Only author I know of who shows the hero and heroine sometimes having bad sex, really bad sex.

My daughter always knows when I read one of her books, because of the spontaneous laughter.

Getting ready to go get Natural Born Charmer by Susan Elizabeth Phillips. One of the authors I must own because I read them so often.

Getting ready to go get Natural Born Charmer by Susan Elizabeth Phillips. One of the authors I must own because I read them so often.

Oh, finished that last week! Very good, same as all the other "Stars" novels...Speaking of, I think I missed one along the way--never read the first one, with the older sister who owns the team? (Phoebe? Penelope? Something with a "P")

I need to read more, especially since I feel dumber every passing day I don't. Stupid college.

I'm currently reading American Psycho. It's a pretty good read, but it seems to be lacking some kind of "wow" factor I usually get whenever I read a great book that I can't put down. I enjoyed the movie (and who didn't, with that hot piece Christian Bale) - but something's slightly off about this book. There's only so much drug addiction, alcoholism, misogyny, misanthropism a person can take.

It gets much better by the end, trust me. Hang in there :)

I just read Jennifer Belle's "Going Down" again - love that book.

I also read Life of Pi recently. One of the best books I have ever read. Something about it really struck with me, and even though the conclusion kind of hammers it in, it's hard not to fall in love with something as interesting as that book.

Life of Pi is one of my favorite books EVER. I enjoyed American Psycho a lot, too, although I read it about 10 years ago and I can't remember quickly I got into it...I was told that I was very "odd" during my reading of it, which always makes me laugh to remember it.

Oh, finished that last week! Very good, same as all the other "Stars" novels...Speaking of, I think I missed one along the way--never read the first one, with the older sister who owns the team? (Phoebe? Penelope? Something with a "P")

Yeah - that is a good one. It Had To Be You -with Phoebe and Cal?

Edited by branchop

I read the Constant Princess a couple months ago (Ph. Gregory, about Katharine of Aragon) and really enjoyed it. I've loved all the Tudor-focussed Gregory books. The Virgin's Lover might be my favorite, but it's hard to choose!

You and my mom would really get along. She loves historical fiction, particularly all the Tudor-foused Gregory books, and frequently raves about them to me (I'm in line to be lent copies as soon as she gets them back from her friends).

I never made it through American Psycho. I read it back when I was in college, when it first came out, and was completely alienated by about a quarter of the way through. I keep thinking I'll go back and try again, but I don't think I have the stomach for it.

Just started The Thirteenth Tale on Saturday and was immediately sucked in, but then was interrupted by the real world (dinner out with boyfriend, stupid work) and had to put it down. Looking forward to long solo flights and boring layovers this Thursday and Friday so I can read uninterrupted!

Just found out there's a new Sophie Kinsella Shopaholic book out (Shopaholic and Baby I think) I've read all those and enjoy so I'll request that next time I'm at the library.

I am in the middle of it. I love her books.

I'm currently reading American Psycho.

Was there another book by this author that was the author writing about himself? Does that make sense? I read it for a book club and now I can't remember what it was called. I just remember it gave me nightmares!

Was there another book by this author that was the author writing about himself? Does that make sense? I read it for a book club and now I can't remember what it was called. I just remember it gave me nightmares!

I think you're thinking of Lunar Park? That's his most recent one, supposed to be about himself.

I think you're thinking of Lunar Park? That's his most recent one, supposed to be about himself.

I was just going to say that too. I think that's the one you might mean, Trizzie...was there a Terby in it? :)

Lunar Park is actually his only book that I didn't really like. What did you think of it, fykey? (have we talked about ths before?)

I was just going to say that too. I think that's the one you might mean, Trizzie...was there a Terby in it? :)

Lunar Park is actually his only book that I didn't really like. What did you think of it, fykey? (have we talked about ths before?)

We have talked Ellis, but not Lunar Park...I for one haven't read it. The only thing I've read by him is American Psycho...that was such a definitive book for me that I don't think I can read more of him, if that makes sense :)

I feel I'm getting dumber and I read. Of course, the last book I read was "Advanced Programming in the Unix Environment (2nd Edition)". :(

There's only so much drug addiction, alcoholism, misogyny, misanthropism a person can take.

No there isn't. B)

Finished The Thirteenth Tale and liked it. It was kind of an old-fashioned moody story, and I liked the way she ended the book just like the endings of the nineteenth-century novels the main character loves. I was a little let down by the "big secret," just because for whatever reason I didn't buy it. It worked, I guess, and I didn't see it coming, but it didn't thrill me. Too nicey-nice for me, I suppose. It simplified the Vida Winter character in a way that took some of the fun out.

That said, I sat down last night to read a few pages (I was saving the book for two long flights I have tomorrow and Friday) and ended up reading the whole thing in one sitting.

I'm actually reading The Rules. :unsure:

I know that so many people are against this book. But I realized that after my last relationship fizzled after 4 months, maybe I should try something new with the next lad that comes my way.

Anyone else read or tried The Rules? Did they work out?

I just finished the BEST book. Little Stalker by Jennifer Belle.

It's basically about a main character (loosely based on the author) and how she stalks Woody Allen (who is not called Woody Allen in the book, but is obviously meant to be him). It starts out really funny and quirky but it gets pretty intense, about a bad thing that happened to her when she was a kid, and then really also about how writers and filmmakers get inspiration.

It was so great. You guys have got to read this book, esp you, fykey! I think you would like it. It doesn't come out until May, in hardback, but you should totally pre-order it, or you can check ebay for Advance Reading Copies now.

Sounds interesting! Adding to reading list today :D

Question for those who like mysteries--anyone read Dana Stabenow, Sue Henry or Megan Mallory Rust? We're going to Alaska in September and those authors have written mystery series based in Alaska--I figure since I love mysteries, this would be some nice summer reading to get me in the mood. Just wondering if there were any "I love her" or "I hate her" to direct me where to start. My dad also recommended Alaska by Michener, but I swear, as much as I love history, Michener puts me to sleep :rolleyes:

Has anyone read Dark Alliance?

It's basically about how the CIA was involved with the Contras in flooding America with cocaine and crack. It became really famous 10 years ago, but I must have been distracted when this happened (I was in 7th grade) . Besides, in 7th grade I totally had a crush on the hottest girl. We dated for about a week. So bittersweet, because she's married now and I'm gayer than GMD. But I digress...

Anyone read it?

Has anyone read Dark Alliance?

It's basically about how the CIA was involved with the Contras in flooding America with cocaine and crack. It became really famous 10 years ago,

I rememebr the original newspaper articles. If the book was written by the same guy that wrote the articles it shold be great.

but I must have been distracted when this happened (I was in 7th grade) . Besides, in 7th grade I totally had a crush on the hottest girl. We dated for about a week. So bittersweet, because she's married now and I'm gayer than GMD. But I digress...

thanks now I feel old. -_-

I just finished the BEST book. Little Stalker by Jennifer Belle.

It's basically about a main character (loosely based on the author) and how she stalks Woody Allen (who is not called Woody Allen in the book, but is obviously meant to be him). It starts out really funny and quirky but it gets pretty intense, about a bad thing that happened to her when she was a kid, and then really also about how writers and filmmakers get inspiration.

It was so great. You guys have got to read this book, esp you, fykey! I think you would like it. It doesn't come out until May, in hardback, but you should totally pre-order it, or you can check ebay for Advance Reading Copies now.

ooh, thanks!