BobbyD

Eddie Murphy

This is from Norm's column today (1/16/07)

Edmonds, the ex-wife of singer Kenneth "Babyface" Edmonds, attended the New York premiere of "Dreamgirls" with Murphy and said they have been dating since October. Murphy attended pal Johnny Gill's show at Boulder Station on Saturday and went onstage with music producer Jimmy Jam and Eddie Levert. Barry Bonds was in the audience.

Can you say orgie? Three men and a woman.

Edmonds, the ex-wife of singer Kenneth "Babyface" Edmonds, attended the New York premiere of "Dreamgirls" with Murphy and said they have been dating since October. Murphy attended pal Johnny Gill's show at Boulder Station on Saturday and went onstage with music producer Jimmy Jam and Eddie Levert. Barry Bonds was in the audience.

That sounds about right with this group. Except for the part where a woman is involved. ;)

I don't think she would have been invited. ;)

panachereport.com

Eddie Murphy’s stepfather turned the family basement into a makeshift boxing ring so he could discipline his teenage kids.

Well...This suspiciously sounds like a blind item about a black comedian who hangs out in the basement doing perverted things. :huh:

I don't think she would have been invited. ;)

LOL

Maybe she likes to watch. ;)

panachereport.com

Eddie Murphy insists the hardest part about playing fictional soul legend James 'Thunder' Early in “Dreamgirls,” was learning how to dance properly. The star won a best supporting actor Golden Globe Award Monday night said he watched old James Brown videos to learn some moves.

The star regularly used to parody Brown when he was a cast member on sketch show “Saturday Night Life,” but insists the film role was much more difficult. Murphy explained that it's easy for him to dance when he's not taking it seriously saying, "Oh, I can (dance) if I'm trying to be funny. But it's different being serious.

"If it's supposed to be a joke, and I'm wearing an inch of makeup, I can do anything!"

A PREMIERE COUPLE

Eddie Murphy and girlfriend Tracey Edmonds are in high spirits as they arrive at the premiere of the indie flick If I'd Known I Was a Genius at the Sundance Film Festival on Tuesday. And Murphy has plenty to beam about – he just earned a best supporting actor Oscar nod for Dreamgirls.

Posted Image

Murphy's Career Is Going 'Nowhere'

High concept comedy comes from the 'Bill & Ted' writers

Eddie Murphy, nominated for his first Oscar earlier this week, is set to take a trip to "NowhereLand."

The comedy, scripted by Ed Solomon and Chris Matheson, could be Murphy's next project after Fox's "Starship Dave," according to Variety.

Murphy would play a financial executive who loses his mojo, but regains his confidence after taking a trip to the supposedly imaginary world created by his daughter.

Solomon and Matheson previously wrote together on "Bill & Ted's Excellent Adventure" and "Bill & Ted's Bogus Journey."

Murphy has already won a Golden Globe for his supporting performance in "Dreamgirls." His next film, "Norbit," opens in early February. Variety also reported in November that Murphy and Paramount are eager to mount a "Beverly Hills Cop 4," though that unnecessary sequel will probably have to wait for tiny details like a script and director.

Eddie to Mel B: Screw You, and London Too

TMZ.com

Eddie Murphy snubbed the "Dreamgirls" premiere in London because he didn't want to run into ex-girlfriend Melanie Brown. A source tells the New York Daily News that Murphy was afraid the fans' reaction to him wouldn't be good "because of what he did to her" -- namely dumping her on a Dutch talk show and denying he's the father of her unborn child. Eddie's rep claims he was just tied up with publicity obligations for his upcoming film "Norbit."

13th annual Screen Actors Guild Awards® Recipients

Male Actor in a Supporting Role

Eddie Murphy / DREAMGIRLS – James “Thunder” Early Paramount Pictures

And Then There’s That

The Carbetbagger by Dave Carr

January 28, 2007, 9:47 pm

Back in the press room, Eddie Murphy, when asked if he was disappointed that “Dreamgirls” had not been not nominated for best picture, paused before answering.

“I guess I was so happy to be nominated that I wasn’t feeling disappointed abut anything,” he said. “I was caught off guard that it wasn’t nominated, but I was happy. I’ve just been nonstop happy.”

His work done, he smiled, waved, and said, “Hope I didn’t bore the **** out of you.”

panachereport.com

Actor Eddie Murphy allegedly left the Academy Awards luncheon early after he picked up his nomination certificate.

If this is true, it's never happened before and people are whispering about it. Throughout the years, numerous superstars have stayed until the luncheon is over.

This is considered very bad etiquette among the Hollywood elite.

NYDN

Funny thing happens to Murphy's career

Eddie Murphy's "Dreamgirls" comeback has given the star so much confidence he says he's planning a return to the standup stage after a 20-year absence.

Murphy picked up an Oscar nod for his supporting role in the musical, and has already pocketed a Golden Globe and a SAG Award.

"I haven't been on stage since 'Raw' [in 1987], when I was 26," he said last week. "It will all come back full circle."

Murphy is currently promoting his comedy "Norbit," which opens Friday.

He joked: "I'll be like the Rolling Stones for comedy, and do a performance once every two years."

janet charlton

EDDIE MURPHY DOESN'T WANT TO SING IT AGAIN

Why are we not surprised that Eddie Murphy turned DOWN a request by the Academy to sing his Dreamgirls nominated song "Patience" at the Oscars? It would have been a fabulous number if it was anything like the movie.

Insiders suspect that Eddie felt insecure about his voice.

As much as he loves to sing, he doesn't have the greatest voice and it requires a lot of doctoring up and enhancing in the studio.

A live act might reveal shortcomings so Eddie opted out.

Is this what a future Oscar winner looks like?

Some fear 'Norbit' could hurt Murphy's Academy Award chances.

By Greg Braxton and Robert W. Welkos, Times Staff Writers

EDDIE Murphy's on the verge of an awards season trifecta — his charismatic portrayal of a tragic R&B singer in "Dreamgirls" has already nabbed him a Screen Actors Guild award and a Golden Globe, and he's considered a front-runner for a best supporting Oscar.

But the most high-profile image of Murphy these days — while Oscar ballots are still out — is on billboards and in movie trailers wearing a fat suit, garish eye shadow and little else.

The tagline for his new comedy, "Norbit," poses the question: "Have you ever made a really big mistake?"

Some Oscar observers are questioning the timing of the movie's Friday arrival, and whether it may unintentionally put off potential academy voters, while some black activists are taking Murphy to task for engaging in what they say are demeaning racial stereotypes.

"Every time I pass that billboard, it makes me sick," said one veteran Oscar consultant, who declined to be identified and is not involved in a rival campaign. "I think his performance in 'Dreamgirls' is so fabulous" and deserves to win the Academy Award. But, he added, Murphy's latest comedy offering "doesn't help."

Award season aside, Murphy and "Norbit" are under fire from some black activists who say the film is just the latest to build a movie around a black man dressing up as an unsophisticated, overweight black woman. Adding fuel to their anger is the movie's release during Black History Month.

"For Eddie to follow what he did with 'Dreamgirls' with this just doesn't make sense," said Robert M. Entman, author of "The Black Image in the White Mind: Media and Race in America." "There's no excuse for him to lend his prestige to something like this…. There has to be a point where African American stars of his stature have to take some responsibility for their actions and just say no."

Murphy's stunning turn as James "Thunder" Early in "Dreamgirls" has earned him rave reviews and renewed respect for a performer who has had one of Hollywood's most up-and-down careers. He's had his share of hits ("48 Hrs.," "Beverly Hills Cop," "Trading Places" and the "Shrek" movies) and flops ("The Adventures of Pluto Nash," "The Haunted Mansion.")

Now, Murphy is in contention for the industry's top honors, which will be handed out Feb. 25. Ballots are due back Feb. 20.

"Norbit" could end up working in Murphy's favor, the creative forces behind it say, because the comedy demonstrates Murphy's range and ability to morph into multiple characters. It's an approach the actor has used to great success in "Coming to America" and the two "The Nutty Professor" films. "Norbit," about a wimpy man trapped in a horrible relationship with a woman (also played by Murphy), was co-written by Murphy and his brother Charles Murphy, and produced by the actor's production company.

Murphy, who has shunned print interviews for years, declined to comment.

The comedy has done well with focus groups, said Stacey Snider, co-chairwoman of DreamWorks: "Audiences have always loved it."

She added that she was "confident" that "Norbit" would have no influence on academy members' evaluation of Murphy's work in "Dreamgirls." "People can separate the performance in 'Dreamgirls' for the career-defining role that it was…. They accept this movie for the comedy that it is…. I think people are wise enough and savvy enough to understand the spirit that was intended. They know not to read too much into it."

One academy voter, John DiSimeo, who is a member of the public relations branch, agreed. "As a voter, it doesn't impact me. We're able to focus on the work itself…. The focus has been on his work in 'Dreamgirls' and whatever comes out after it is for the most part irrelevant." (He has already sent in his ballot, but declined to specify his pick.)

The film's release date, planned months in advance, was tied to research that showed February to be a good month for comedies, according to Paramount.

Gerry Rich, president of worldwide marketing at Paramount Pictures, said that time of year was a "robust moviegoing period for mainstream comedies. 'Hitch' did really well during this time of year."

"

For Eddie to follow what he did with 'Dreamgirls' with this just doesn't make sense," said Robert M. Entman, author of "The Black Image in the White Mind: Media and Race in America." "There's no excuse for him to lend his prestige to something like this…. There has to be a point where African American stars of his stature have to take some responsibility for their actions and just say no."

It would be interesting to find out whether or not Norbit was filmed before Dreamgirls.

Having said that, can anybody say Halle Berry or Cuba Gooding Jr? :huh:

3 Eddie Murphys rule weekend box office

By DAVID GERMAIN, AP Movie Writer

LOS ANGELES - Movie fans couldn't pass up three Eddie Murphys for the price of one. Murphy's comedy "Norbit," in which he plays three wildly different roles, opened as the top weekend movie with $33.7 million, according to studio estimates Sunday.

The DreamWorks production easily beat the debut of the MGM-Weinstein Co. thriller "Hannibal Rising," a prequel about "The Silence of the Lambs" serial killer Hannibal Lecter that came in at No. 2 with $13.35 million.

Murphy had not had a starring role in a movie since 2003's "The Haunted Mansion," but "Norbit" benefited from huge acclaim and publicity he has received for "Dreamgirls," for which he is expected to win the supporting-actor Academy Award.

"He wasn't that visible on marquees in huge hits for a while, then suddenly every time you turn around, it's `Wow, what a surprise. Eddie is great,'" said DreamWorks spokesman Marvin Levy.

But while it was the year's biggest opening so far, "Norbit" was not able to lift Hollywood out of its box-office funk that has seen revenues fall for six straight weekends. The top 12 movies took in $91.3 million, down 10.5 percent from the same weekend in 2006, when "The Pink Panther" and "Final Destination 3" both debuted in the $20 million range.

"Norbit" was the 14th No. 1 opening for Murphy and came in well above the expectations of distributor Paramount, which had projected the movie might pull in about $25 million over its opening weekend.

The movie was trashed by critics, but the lure of Murphy again handling multiple roles as he did in "Coming to America" and "The Nutty Professor" proved irresistible. Murphy plays mild-mannered Norbit, his grossly overweight and overbearing wife and a Chinese orphanage owner who raised him.

"Dreamgirls," another Paramount-DreamWorks release, also remained in the top 10 with $3.1 million, lifting its total to $97.1 million. Murphy has another sure hit coming in May with DreamWorks' animated sequel "Shrek the Third," in which he reprises his voice role as gabby sidekick Donkey.

"It really doesn't get much better than this for an actor at this point in your career," said Paul Dergarabedian, president of box-office tracker Media By Numbers. "This is a guy whose career has spanned over two decades, and he's still as viable a box-office star as anyone out there."

Psychopath Lecter, however, has lost his box-office luster. With French actor Gaspard Ulliel starring as a young version of the killer played in three films by Anthony Hopkins, "Hannibal Rising" was savaged by critics and drew only modest crowds.

Sony Pictures Classics' "The Lives of Others," a German film nominated for the foreign-language Oscar, debuted strongly in limited release with $222,727 in 13 theaters. The film follows a playwright and actress under surveillance by police in 1980s East Berlin.

Estimated ticket sales for Friday through Sunday at U.S. and Canadian theaters, according to Media By Numbers LLC. Final figures will be released Monday.

1. "Norbit," $33.7 million.

2. "Hannibal Rising," $13.35 million.

3. "Because I Said So," $9 million.

4. "The Messengers," $7.2 million.

5. "Night at the Museum," $5.75 million.

6. "Epic Movie," $4.45 million.

7. "Smokin' Aces," $3.8 million.

8. "Pan's Labyrinth," $3.55 million.

9. "Dreamgirls," $3.1 million.

10. "The Queen," $2.5 million.

panachereport.com

The red leather suit Eddie Murphy wore for his cult “Delirious,” comedy special is no more-pal Keenan Ivory Wayans destroyed it. Murphy stunned fans by wearing the form-fitting outfit for his acclaimed 1983 live special and he's often asked if he still has it hanging up in his wardrobe. He reveals, "Keenan put it on and he's, like, 6' 5" and he's busting out of this suit. "I said, `I dare you to go out all night and stay in character. He met girls, he had a sausage in his pants, there was dancing." The suit has never been the same since.

panachereport.com

Eddie Murphy’s ex-wife Nicole Mitchell is baffled by former Melanie Brown's claims that Murphy is the father of her unborn child. Mitchell, who divorced Murphy in 2006 after 13 years of marriage, says, "It's a very strange situation.

If it is Eddie's, it's going to be beautiful." Mitchell, who shares custody of the five children she had with the star, insists she has no animosity towards her ex-husband, and even approves of his new romance with Tracey Edmonds. She adds, "I wish them both love. They look great together."

panachereport.com

Eddie Murphy’s ex-wife Nicole Mitchell is baffled by former Melanie Brown's claims that Murphy is the father of her unborn child. Mitchell, who divorced Murphy in 2006 after 13 years of marriage, says, "It's a very strange situation.

If it is Eddie's, it's going to be beautiful." Mitchell, who shares custody of the five children she had with the star, insists she has no animosity towards her ex-husband, and even approves of his new romance with Tracey Edmonds. She adds, "I wish them both love. They look great together."

Yeesh. Paid off much?

Eddie Murphy's plus-size offense

Actor's latest movie 'Norbit' called offensive to women, blacks

By DeNeen L. Brown

She is wearing a hot pink nightie fringed by tiny hot pink feathers. Her big, brown legs are polished and wrap around the man lying beneath her. Her makeup is perfect. She turns toward the camera and seemingly growls.

The man lying beneath her, Eddie Murphy, seems to struggle under her weight with a horrified look. The two of them lie on the word "Norbit," crushing the movie title, making it sag like a well-worn mattress.

Above them, the ad asks: "Have you ever made a really big mistake?"

The poster is supposed to invite laughs. But for a number of women, black and otherwise, it's not funny.

In recent years, Hollywood has begun to make some changes in its portrayal and acceptance of black beauty. So you wonder why at this point does it release a film that stereotypes and makes fun of big black women? You wonder who is laughing.

Murphy co-wrote the story and screenplay for "Norbit," about a meek nerd, played by Murphy. Norbit is chased by his obsessed, jealous and overbearing wife, Rasputia, also played by Murphy (in a fat suit). The movie, No. 1 at the box office when it opened two weekends ago, drew harsh reviews from film critics and a series of protests from women and men who found it to be misogynistic and an outrageous characterization of large black women.

Geneva Mays, a real estate agent who lives in Suitland, says she is offended by the movie trailers that show the character Rasputia flying though her bedroom and landing on Norbit, crushing the bed in the fall. "I think it's demeaning to women," Mays said. "I think it's demeaning to women in general because we are all the same. We are just different colors. Women are women, regardless."

Thandisizwe Chimurenga, a community activist, said the movie shows how society feels about large black women. "I'm a big woman myself," she said. The irony, she said, "is there are a lot of men who do like large women. I've been pursued by all kinds of men." She added: "The billboards to me look cute. I was, like, 'Go ahead, girl, do your thing."

Old questions about skin color and beauty

Sitting two rows from the back of the theater at Laurel Cinema 6, Tamara Taylor, a certified medical technician who lives in Baltimore, laughed at some scenes in "Norbit." She had come for herself to see the movie to understand it better. Afterward, Taylor decided it wasn't the character's size that made her ugly.

"Rasputia, I think she was funny as far as being jealous, but she was abusive. That made her ugly," Taylor said. "At first, I thought he was intimidated by her size, but he was really intimidated by her ways, her mouth. . . . I think Norbit liked the other girl because she was soft and frail. I think he loved Kate," played by Thandie Newton, "not because she was small, but she was peaceful."

Some found that the juxtaposition of the two women conjures old questions about skin color and beauty (Kate being lighter skinned than Rasputia), about the light and dark images that haunt so many races and the fairy tales that imply the more fair the complexion, the more beautiful the woman.

"I find it vaguely irritating how Eddie Murphy is given free [rein] to depict the cliched, overbearing, domineering black woman without any complaints," wrote a blogger on Salon.com. "Hell, I'm white, and even I'm offended by this depiction. Where's the outrage at this inside the black community. Am I the only one who finds a mammy-esque element in Rasputia?"

In California, activist Najee Ali led a protest of the movie and called upon Murphy to apologize.

"Eddie Murphy's character, we feel, is offensive to African American women and it perpetuates those negative stereotypes that large black women are violent, unattractive, promiscuous and buffoons," Ali said. "There was not one positive trait that character portrayed. He gave no balance to his role."

He said, "When you juxtapose his portrayal of large, black women with Tyler Perry's portrayal or even Martin Lawrence, those actors played large black women, but their characters were warm and loving to their families and communities."

The ad campaign is damaging to the black community, he said, and to have the movie released during Black History Month was disrespectful. Ali, executive director of Project Islamic Hope, an advocacy group for social justice and civil rights, said the protest was organized by black men to help defend black women. "Beauty and talent among African American women come in all shapes and forms, from full-figured women such as Aretha Franklin and Jill Scott."

Murphy, who has been nominated for an Academy Award for Best Supporting Actor in "Dreamgirls," has not responded to the demand for an apology, Ali said.

A publicist for Murphy said last night, "We have no comment on that issue."

Rasputia's healthy self-image

In one scene in the movie, Rasputia lies poolside in a bikini, her large belly overlapping her pink bottoms, her breasts spilling over. She is drinking an Icee and talking to Kate, who lies there in a blue, well-fitting bikini.

"You too damned skinny," Rasputia says to the skinny Kate. "Look at you! See, most men like a woman that got a little 'mmm, mmm,' a little hey, hey. You ain't got nothing. You just skin and bones, just sitting in that chair all bones and skin. I feel sorry for you."

And as she speaks there is a tiny moment of realization that Rasputia has a healthy self-image. And, secretly, her large ego is refreshing and in some ways matches psychological studies that show black women generally have a higher acceptance of higher body weight than other women.

Larger black women in African American communities are often celebrated. Shapeliness is something to be adored.

"It is actually somewhat surprising that African American women continue to have a high body image even though the standards of the dominant cultural forces point toward more European standards. The ultimate blond-haired, blue-eyed, 5-10, thin white woman has for many years been the standard off of which all other beauty was based, judged and validated," according to a report released by Vanderbilt University's psychology department.

Some women look at the billboard and celebrate Rasputia's beauty, knowing that even if she lost weight, she would never meet the expectations of a culture that looks to the 5-foot-10 blond, blue-eyed standard of beauty. Knowing that if you looked hard enough, you could find ugly in a 5-10 blue-eyed blond woman. Ugly, we know, lies beneath the skin.

And you wonder how long will it take for this country to accept beauty in all its forms. Then you watch "The Last King of Scotland," and see a white man fall in love with a black woman who has no European features, and you walk away hopeful that others in the audience will also see the real beauty in black women whose features are not pointed.

Then you look around and you find change: Ads for Dove soap, part of a worldwide campaign changing the definition of beauty, feature "real women with real bodies and real curves." Women of all sizes in white underwear smile from billboards. And more examples: "American Idol" contender Jennifer Hudson is on the cover of Vogue. And actress Queen Latifah is a Cover Girl. And supermodel Tyra Banks says she is happy with her new weight, and tells the paparazzi and whoever called her fat to "kiss my fat [expletive]."

And you look at the "Norbit" ad one more time and laugh.

© 2007 The Washington Post Company

usmagazine.com:

Eddie Storms Out After Loss

Monday February 26, 2007

Is Eddie Murphy a sore loser? After failing to nab the award for Best Supporting Actor to Little Miss Sunshine’s Alan Arkin, Murphy tried to brush off the loss, telling Us, "It's fine. It happens. It's OK."

But clearly it wasn't. Shortly thereafter Murphy, 45, and girlfriend Tracey Edmonds left the show in a huff and didn’t return. Thanks to the early exit, the actor didn’t see any of his Dreamgirls castmates perform and missed out on costar Jennifer Hudson’s win for Best Supporting Actress.

usmagazine.com:

Eddie Storms Out After Loss

Monday February 26, 2007

Is Eddie Murphy a sore loser? After failing to nab the award for Best Supporting Actor to Little Miss Sunshine’s Alan Arkin, Murphy tried to brush off the loss, telling Us, "It's fine. It happens. It's OK."

But clearly it wasn't. Shortly thereafter Murphy, 45, and girlfriend Tracey Edmonds left the show in a huff and didn’t return. Thanks to the early exit, the actor didn’t see any of his Dreamgirls castmates perform and missed out on costar Jennifer Hudson’s win for Best Supporting Actress.

I really wanted Arkin to win because I just like him better, and now I'm REALLY glad. What a total idiot. You did NORBIT you jackass, and left your wife with 5 kids to be with Scary Spice who you knocked up, left and are with some woman with a frozen solid face. Good riddance to bad rubbish. -_- -_- -_-

Ted Casblanca

Where Is the Loss?

Eddie has left the building. That was the whispered scuttlebutt backstage at

the Oscars Sunday. Apparently, Mr. Em, largely considered a shoo-in for Best

Supporting Actor in Dreamgirls, took off shortly after he lost to Alan Arkin

in a bit o' an upset.

No Academy personage would comment, and none of Murphy's peeps could be

found to ask for verification at this breaking moment, when Jen Hudson was

gabbin' with me about any advice she'd give (or not) to the career

self-destroyer, Britney Spears.

<snip>

Nothing Funny About It

Oh, back to No-No Norbitt, gotta tell ya what I did ferret out from those

who know E.M. well. It ain't pretty: "He's very disappointed," replied a

Murphy camper, who I had asked for a gauge on Murphy's mood. "I mean, after

all," the insider added, "he did everything [to campaign].

"Why leave so early?" I pressed. "Didn't he know how that would look? Why

didn't someone make him stay?"

"He's Eddie," I was told. "You do what he wants." Or "He does what he

wants."

Yo, Murphy-dude! Scorsese sucked it up for decades before he got his big win

(and Leo's still very much doing so), think he wanted to put out that

happy-face benevolence? Fuhgeddaboudit!