Sign in to follow this  
princess

Brittany Murphy

Brittany Murphy's Cause of Death

Brittany Murphy's cause of death has been determined -- an accidental death caused by "community acquired pneumonia," iron deficiency anemia, and multiple drug intoxication.

The L.A. County Coroner concludes on the subject of "How injury occurred" -- "Drug intake."

story developing

Source TMZ

Brittany Murphy Death - 'Preventable'

Sources involved in Brittany Murphy's autopsy tell TMZ her death was "preventable."

Sources say the primary causes of Murphy's death were pneumonia and severe anemia. L.A. County Coroner officials believe Brittany's condition was "treatable" but no one took her to the hospital in time.

As for the multiple drugs found in her system, we're told they were both prescription, including medicine for cramps, and over-the-counter medications, including cough syrup. Our sources say the drugs "pushed her over the line" but the underlying problems were the pneumonia and anemia.

In other words, Brittany was really sick, didn't get treatment and by self-medicating it pushed her over the line.

Source TMZ

Brittany Murphy Died From Pneumonia, Anemia, Drugs

February 4, 2010

LOS ANGELES (Reuters) - Actress Brittany Murphy's death in December was accidental and the result of pneumonia, anemia and "multiple drug intoxication," the Los Angeles Coroner's office said on Thursday.

Murphy, 32, the co-star of movies "Clueless" and "8 Mile" suffered a cardiac arrest on December 20 in the bathroom of her Hollywood Hills home.

The coroner's office said the drugs found in Murphy's body were a mixture of prescription and over-the-counter medications. No illegal drugs were found.

The preliminary report ruled her death an accident, caused by drug intake. It said she had pneumonia and suffered from anemia caused by an iron deficiency. The full autopsy report will be issued in about two weeks time.

Murphy's husband, British screenwriter Simon Monjack, said at the time that the actress had been suffering from laryngitis. Initial media speculation had focused on a possible eating disorder and rumors of cocaine use -- both of which she had denied several years ago.

Photographs of Murphy's last red carpet appearance in early December showed the actress in a sleeveless dress with rail-thin arms and legs.

In her career, Murphy starred in films like "Girl Interrupted" and "8 Mile" and worked with actors such as Michael Douglas, Ashton Kutcher, Eminem and Angelina Jolie.

But in more recent years, she worked mostly in low-budget movies.

(Reporting by Jill Serjeant; Editing by Bob Tourtellotte)

Copyright 2010 Reuters News Service. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.

The full autopsy report made public Thursday details what drugs were found in the 32-year-old actress's body after she died in her Hollywood Hills home December 20.

"Multiple medications were present in the blood, with elevated levels of hydrocodone, acetaminophen, and chlorpheniramine. L-methamphetamine was also present," the report said.

The coroner said "the pattern of use of these medications suggest treatment of symptoms of a cold or other respiratory infection."

"Acetaminophen and hydrocodone are components of Vicodin. Chlorpheniramine is the active ingredient in some over-the-counter medications. L-methamphetamine is a component of some inhalers."

All of the drugs are legal, the report said.

The death was ruled an accident because "possible adverse physiological effects of elevated levels of these medications cannot be discounted, especially in her weakened state," the report said.

The autopsy showed Murphy was suffering from "acute pneumonia consistent with a community-acquired infection."

The "chronic iron deficiency" she had -- likely caused by heavy menstrual periods -- "leads to a weakened state of health and would increase her vulnerability to infection," the report said.

link

probably a rationalization ..... in most people's minds 'on drugs' implies illegal use, abuse for pleasure, etc., while taking legally prescribed medication for legitimate conditions is not.

Brittany Murphy -- 109 Mystery Pills

Posted Feb 27th 2010 2:00PM by TMZ Staff

Brittany Murphy obtained a prescription for 120 hydrocodone (Vicodin) pills 11 days before her death .... and the day she died there were only 11 pills left in the bottle ... TMZ has learned.

What's more we've learned the L.A. County Coroner's Office cannot locate the doctor who prescribed the pills and they are on the hunt to find him.

According to the Coroner's report on Murphy's death, the pills -- which we've learned were prescribed specifically to Murphy -- were supposed to be taken a maximum of 4 times a day. Yet 109 of the pills were missing from the bottle when she died. If Brittany had maxed out on the prescription, only 44 pills should have been missing.

So why were so many pills prescribed in the first place? That's what the Coroner wants to know. The doctor's name on the pill bottle is Cohen, but so far the Coroner can't locate him. A member of the Coroner's Office went to Brittany's husband, Simon Monjack, to assist them in locating the doc, but we're told Simon was no help.

The cause of Brittany Murphy's death is listed as "accidental" -- the result of pneumonia, along with prescription and over-the-counter drugs.

UPDATE: Simon Monjack contacted TMZ and says the hydrocodone prescription was not Brittany Murphy's. He says it was written for either Sharon Murphy, Brittany's mom, or himself -- he said he was unsure.

Monjack also says Dr. Cohen did not write any prescriptions for Brittany.

As for the 11 hyrdrocodone pills that remained in the prescription bottle for 120 pills -- Monjack says yesterday morning, after we published this story, he and Sharon located 73 pills from that prescription.

Read more: http://www.tmz.com/tag/CoronersReport/#ixzz0gromGoWe

Well, thank goodness Brittany Murphy wasn't on drugs.

And who the hell "finds" 73 pills of anything just laying around in anything other than the original bottle or one of those daily medicine containers anyways?

How stupid does Simon Monjack think the general public really is?

Well, thank goodness Brittany Murphy wasn't on drugs.

And who the hell "finds" 73 pills of anything just laying around in anything other than the original bottle or one of those daily medicine containers anyways?

How stupid does Simon Monjack think the general public really is?

Not as stupid as HE is that's for sure. As far as I'm concerned, this guy is a shyster.

I've been known to separate larger prescriptions ..... I assumed everyone did?

Only if I'm travelling and don't want to bring the large bottle. I get prescriptions mail order so they come in 3 month quantities. But no way would I have half or more of the bottle missing within the week.....

It's sad and I find it unusual.....And it appears there was drug sharing going on too....?

I just had my ACL replaced. I was given 50 oxycodones and that was a five day supply (eight a day). Iwas told to keep ahead if the pain. after the five days was up I was given 50 hydrocodone - another 5 day supply. I went through the oxycodone (post op) in the alloted time, but it did take me two weeks to go through the hydrocodone, and then I was given 50 more.....

Depending on her prescription and instruction it is possible to go through that many. And believe me I was glad I had them. I stayed out of pain. It did make me upset that I used them all in such a short period of time. But it probably didn't phase her.

I just had my ACL replaced. I was given 50 oxycodones and that was a five day supply (eight a day). Iwas told to keep ahead if the pain. after the five days was up I was given 50 hydrocodone - another 5 day supply. I went through the oxycodone (post op) in the alloted time, but it did take me two weeks to go through the hydrocodone, and then I was given 50 more.....

Depending on her prescription and instruction it is possible to go through that many. And believe me I was glad I had them. I stayed out of pain. It did make me upset that I used them all in such a short period of time. But it probably didn't phase her.

I read this post really fast and I was wondering why you needed painkillers after having your air conditioner replaced. :4biggrin:

Brittany Murphy Leaves Simon Monjack Out of Her Will

USMagazine, March 2, 2010

Related: News, Brittany Murphy

Brittany Murphy, who died after a battle with pneumonia Dec. 20 at age 30, didn't leave a dime to husband Simon Monjack.

She left her entire estate to her mother, Sharon, according to TMZ.com.

The site reports that years before Murphy wed Monjack in 2007, she handwrote a will, leaving her mother everything. The will was stored in her manager's safe.

Monjack wasn't surprised he was left out. He tells TMZ that before they wed, the actress' formal will, along with a trust, was drafted. At his request, the will specifically stated, "I am married to Simon Monjack who I have intentionally left out of this will," he said.

Monjack recently told UsMagazine.com he wishes people would leave him alone and "stop coming out with these ridiculous stories" about their marriage.

"Our marriage was dogged by these ridiculous rumors. Brittany's life was dogged by ridiculous rumors, and the truth always wins out," Monjack told Us. "I hope people have the sense to really understand that everything was beautiful and wonderful in our relationship and so pure."

link

Edited by l1zz1e

Simon Monjack only earned $800 for Brittany Murphy charity

Brittany Murphy's widower Simon Monjack has begun giving back donations after the charity he set up in his ex-wife's name was shut down - but insists he only managed to collect a total of $800.

After the Murphy's sudden death in December 2009, her grieving husband set up the Brittany Murphy Foundation in her honor.

He even planned a charity gala for the launch of the foundation last month, charging $1,000 a ticket, but canceled the bash at the last minute.

It was later revealed the foundation was not legally registered as a charity with the state of California, and a statement was issued through the organization's website revealing all donations would be handed back until non-profit status is approved.

Monjack tells TMZ.com he has started the process of handing back all the money the organization received, but reveals it only totaled $800. He insists plans to resurrect the foundation are going ahead and he is taking the "the proper steps" to make sure the organization is registered.

source: http://www.sfgate.com

NYpost

Actress Brittany Murphy was cut off by a Los Angeles pharmacist just months before her death because he though there "was going to be an accident."

Eddie Bubar, owner of Eddie's Pharmacy in Los Angeles, told TMZ.com today that he has a list of more than 100 prescriptions he filled for Brittany, her husband Simon Monjack and mother Sharon Murphy between January 2008 and August 2009 -- including Vicodin, hydrocodone, Klonopin, and other drugs obtained under various aliases.

Bubar told TMZ that one of the aliases Murphy used was "Lola Manilow Murphy."

Murphy, 32, collapsed in her home on Dec. 21 from pneumonia, anemia, lack of medical care and drug intoxication, the coroner said. Her death was ruled an "accident" by investigators last month.

The sickly Murphy hadn't seen a doctor in months when she finally decided to seek help for her worsening health just before her death, her family said.

Bubar also said a messenger would pick up the various prescriptions from his store in an envelope approximately every two weeks with the name "Lola" written on it.

He told TMZ that he cut off Murphy, Simon and the actress' mother four months before she died because he believed they were using multiple pharmacies to fill prescriptions.

"We thought there was going to be an accident there," he said.

TMZ reported that Murphy used other aliases from another pharmacy that included the names "Kathelyn Moore" and "Faith Gosselin."

Monjack told TMZ that he used aliases -- along with Murphy and his mother-in-law, because, "You know how this town is. We're the ones who cut Eddie's Pharmacy off.

Is it just me or does anyone else get totally creeped out by Simon Monjack? I get the feeling he's sleeping with the mother. Why on earth would he tell the press that they were moving to New York together? Eww. This story is starting to sound like an old hollywood script.

Is it just me or does anyone else get totally creeped out by Simon Monjack? I get the feeling he's sleeping with the mother. Why on earth would he tell the press that they were moving to New York together? Eww. This story is starting to sound like an old hollywood script.

Yes, he's skeevy as all get out and I wouldn't be surprised at all if he hooked up with the mil.

Interesting article about Brittany Murphy's final days and what led up to her death. To me, this author sounds alot like CDAN. The article seems like mixture of fact and fantasy i.e. trying to make Murphy sound like a queen with problems where as her husband comes off looking like a creep.

Edited by alpierce

Interesting article about Brittany Murphy's final days and what led up to her death. To me, this author sounds alot like CDAN. The article seems like mixture of fact and fantasy i.e. trying to make Murphy sound like a queen with problems where as her husband comes off looking like a creep.

I used to work with the author Alex Ben Block. He is a media veteran who has been writing for years (20-30). Definitely not the CDAN blogger.

Brittany Murphy Biopic Confirmed, The Brittany Murphy Story Will Air on Lifetime

AUG. 13, 2014 AT 12:20PM BY ESTHER LEE

US Magazine

Her sad story comes to the small screen. A planned biopic about the late Brittany Murphy was confirmed by Lifetime on Tuesday, Aug. 12, to The Hollywood Reporter. It is the first film to be made about the actress' life since her death in December 2009 at age 32.

The network announced that The Brittany Murphy Story will make its two-hour debut next month. It will touch on Murphy's childhood, the beginning stages of her acting career, and ultimately, her tragic death. (The Uptown Girls actress died from what was ruled as pneumonia by the coroner. Five months later, Murphy's husband Simon Monjack died from similar circumstances.)

Last Man Standing actress Amanda Fuller will play Murphy while Ray Donovan star Sherilyn Fenn will star as Sharon Murphy, Brittany's mom.

Last November, Sharon published an open letter in THR, slamming those who questioned whether her daughter's death was from natural causes.

"We will never know for sure," Sharon wrote, refuting the claims of Brittany's biological father, Angelo Bertolutti, who suggested his daughter was poisoned. "However, we do know the Los Angeles County Coroner did extensive tests and found that she died of natural causes. And now she is a real living angel in heaven."

The Brittany Murphy Story will premiere Sept. 6 on Lifetime.