princess

Elizabeth Taylor

question for all you chitchatters: What's your favorite Elizabeth Taylor movie??

Who's Afraid of Virginia Woolf?

Very close second - Cat on a Hot Tin Roof. Because I adore Paul Newman too!

Of the ones I've seen, Cat on a Hot Tin Roof is my favorite. I really like Tennessee Williams too.

I'm so bummed that I don't get TCM. I love the channel and filled up my DVR with movies when I lived in a Time Warner Area where the channel was included in one of the free channel packages they offered with their basic cable package, but now that I live in a Comcast area I need to upgrade my entire cable package to get TCM and it costs an extra $15 per month <_< . I actually paid it for a few months when I first moved just for TCM (I didn't watch any of the other channels), but I just couldn't justify the cost. At least most of the movies are are on Netflix now.

We have and TCM is part of the expanded package we have. But I don't have high speed internet to be able to get Netflix downloads ;-( (cable, broadband, DSL not options - we are REALLY in the boonies)

From Janet Charleton's site...

ELIZABETH TAYLOR WAS A GREAT MOVIE STAR, NOT A GREAT PERSON

Filed Under: Booze > Debbie Reynolds > Diamonds > Drugs > Elizabeth Taylor > Greedy > Michael Jackson

We’ve had it up to HERE with the tributes to Elizabeth Taylor. Let’s get real about Liz. Sorry, but she simply wasn’t worthy of all that admiration. She had a pretty face but other positive qualities were rare and far between. When she was a teenager Liz started stealing other women’s husbands. (We still admire Debbie Reynolds for forgiving her.) The acquisitive actress married seven men and finagled as many diamonds out of them as she could manage. And bragged about it. She loved her pets but never bothered to house break them – they messed her carpets – and OTHER people had to clean up. She had health problems but casually checked into a hospital whenever she wanted a rest. Of course her health would have been much better if she had controlled her urges to overeat, drink, smoke, and take drugs – and she never exercised a day in her life. Self-control was not Elizabeth’s strong factor. In 1983, she admitted to being hooked on painkillers and sleeping pills for 35 years. While filming, she expected to find a “gift” in her dressing room every morning or she might not be in the mood to work. We mean jewelry, not flowers. She kept people waiting for hours with no apology. Liz expected her friend Michael Jackson to shower her with diamonds and jewelry stores are still suing his estate for money he owed for her gifts. Granted, she WAS a dear friend to Rock Hudson when he needed one, but her involvement with AIDS charities brought her a grand lifestyle and prestige – private jets and five star hotel suites around the world for her and her entourage, incredible gifts, paid for by the charity. Style icon? Only if you like turbans and caftans. When Edith Head stopped dressing her, she lost her glamour. Let’s celebrate her film career- not her private life.

Sheesh....who whizzed in Janet Charlton's Wheaties???? Speaking ill of the deceased really doesn't serve any purpose other than making the speaker look like a bitter old shrew.

The sordid details of Elizabeth's personal life are hardly news to anybody. And honestly, I really don't care if Elizabeth's motives for championing the AIDS cause were from a selfish place or not. I remember the days where people were afraid to kiss on the lips or even use a public toilet for fear of contracting the disease. We as a society have come a long way since then in terms of both awareness and research and I can't help but think that Elizabeth Taylor had something to do with that.

Funny, I agree with everything Janet said. It makes me nauseous when very imperfect people are made into saints just because they died.

AIDS commentary notwithstanding, I actually agree with what Janet said as well. I just don't think that she really needed to publicly call out the obvious fact that Liz was no saint.

Elizabeth Taylor's foibles were well known and I think the timing of Janet Charlatan's "press release" is awful. I don't like whitewashing after death either, but I don't think everyone has been. No one is saying Taylor was an angel. She WAS a good actress and she DID raise a lot of money and awareness for AIDS, so.....

I just have a problem with some of her issues:

The acquisitive actress married seven men and finagled as many diamonds out of them as she could manage.

well good for her!

She loved her pets but never bothered to house break them – they messed her carpets – and OTHER people had to clean up.

well, they WERE her carpets. and did she pay the people who cleaned the carpets? Yeah, so who cares?

She had health problems but casually checked into a hospital whenever she wanted a rest.

again, that's her business

Of course her health would have been much better if she had controlled her urges to overeat, drink, smoke, and take drugs – and she never exercised a day in her life. Self-control was not Elizabeth’s strong factor.

I like to do some of those things as well, and the only thing I hate more than exercise is the dentist. Still, not anyone's business but my own

While filming, she expected to find a “gift” in her dressing room every morning or she might not be in the mood to work. We mean jewelry, not flowers.

And if they obeyed, the more fools they. I'd have let her hang in her dressing room and when the film didn't get made, get her for breach of contract. The producers who gave into her precipitated such behavior, so sucks for them

She kept people waiting for hours with no apology.

I know a lot of people who do that - yeah, it's annoying, but I'm not going to light them up after they die, you know?

Janet's coming off a tad bitter -- it hasn't even been a full week since she passed!

Funny, I agree with everything Janet said. It makes me nauseous when very imperfect people are made into saints just because they died.

Me too!

I just have a problem with some of her issues:

The acquisitive actress married seven men and finagled as many diamonds out of them as she could manage.

well good for her!

She loved her pets but never bothered to house break them – they messed her carpets – and OTHER people had to clean up.

well, they WERE her carpets. and did she pay the people who cleaned the carpets? Yeah, so who cares?

She had health problems but casually checked into a hospital whenever she wanted a rest.

again, that's her business

Of course her health would have been much better if she had controlled her urges to overeat, drink, smoke, and take drugs – and she never exercised a day in her life. Self-control was not Elizabeth’s strong factor.

I like to do some of those things as well, and the only thing I hate more than exercise is the dentist. Still, not anyone's business but my own

While filming, she expected to find a “gift” in her dressing room every morning or she might not be in the mood to work. We mean jewelry, not flowers.

And if they obeyed, the more fools they. I'd have let her hang in her dressing room and when the film didn't get made, get her for breach of contract. The producers who gave into her precipitated such behavior, so sucks for them

She kept people waiting for hours with no apology.

I know a lot of people who do that - yeah, it's annoying, but I'm not going to light them up after they die, you know?

Janet's coming off a tad bitter -- it hasn't even been a full week since she passed!

Totally agree. The Tributes I have seen here in Hollywood, have been mostly about her film career. She was one of the last true movie star. Now we are left with Kristen Stewart and Jennifer Aniston? THE HORROR! :shocked:

I respect Elizabeth Taylor for what she accomplished but I was never a fan and never cared for her movies so to me, she's just one more elderly actress who has passed on.