princess

Star Jones

Interview with Star Jones Reynolds via Bella online

Star Jones Reynolds is an AOL Love Coach, author of the motivational book "Shine: A Physical, Emotional and Spiritual Journey to Finding Love," and co-host of the Emmy nominated ABC Talk Show "The View."

Although she’s achieved a lot, Star is humble. Her sense of humor and southern hospitality comes across when you talk to her. Although it was an interview, it felt more like a sister talking to a sister—you know the kind I’m talking about—when you meet someone out at the beauty shop and you end up having a real good conversation about life in general.

I highly recommend Star Jones Reynolds' latest book Shine: A Physical, Emotional and Spiritual Journey to Finding Love. Sometimes knowing someone overcame certain obstacles is all you need to jumpstart you in that area. There is something in the book for everyone. By the time you finish reading Shine, you will have done some self-evaluation. There are exercises throughout the book that are meant to make you think. One of my favorites is the “ideal mate list.” Another thing I like are the “Absolutes” which are like affirmations that are spread throughout Shine.

Shelia Goss: Although you're in the public eye already, was it hard opening yourself up to write a book?

Star Jones Reynolds: One of the dedications in Shine speaks to making yourself vulnerable. I really attribute that to my husband. He convinced me that being vulnerable in print was not a sign of weakness, instead it was a sign of strength and you grow with every new experience. I think in some ways it was cathartic for me because it really meant that I had grown. I think it has helped other people. So many women out there who think their own struggles (physical, emotional, spiritual, financial, or professional) are isolated and the sense you’re by yourself can be depressing; especially when you think their is nobody there that understands. When in reality that’s not true. You have sisters across the country and the world who face similar struggles everyday. On paper, to look at me three years ago, everybody would have said, "she has it going on", but what they didn’t know is that I was struggling internally physically, emotionally and spiritually and I didn’t know how to get myself out of it. I had to seek help in every area. There’s no shame in seeking help. The shame is in hiding it. The moment I started seeking help on this journey of self improvement, my life started opening up.

Shelia: What motivated you to write Shine?

Star: My story is a back drop for other women to find their story. It is not a memoir, because I say 90 percent of the book is of how I learned from my mistakes. I’m on this journey to shine and if you want to come with me—let’s do it together. When you read Shine, you immediately take time to self assess. You immediately look at yourself and say, “Hmm what part of this book is speaking to me?” If you know you’re having real credit issues and you’re unable to get out of it, then that part speaks to you. If you know that you’re been that strong independent woman and you’ve always said, “I don’t need a man;” “I don’t want a man, what are you talking about,” but in reality the little girl in you goes home and you’re alone and you realize success is nothing without someone you love to share it with, that part of the book is going to speak to you. If you’ve lost your way spiritually and you realize that you can seek comfort with a relationship with God, that part of the book is going to speak to you. And that was my goal. I wanted every woman to find a part of the book that spoke directly to them.

Shelia: What is your role as an AOL Love Coach?

Star: As an AOL Love Coach, what I actually end up doing is challenging you to look at your own relationship. I don’t tell you what will work for you. I let you figure it out. When you read through my workshops, you realize and figure out what’s going to work for you. I kept screwing it up. I kept making the same mistake over and over again. I kept accepting things that I knew I deserved better from. As AOL Love Coach I’m good at it, because I recognize those things in my self. What I never want to do is be known as an expert on relationships and marriage—that’s not what I am. But in terms of falling in love and knowing what you’re worth and knowing you’re worth everything, I got that down to a science.

Shelia: What are some things single women can do to prepare themselves for Mr. Right?

Star: First of all, prepare YOURSELF. Make sure that you have everything you want and you show it. So if you want somebody in good health, you got to be in good health. If you want to have one of these real handsome Denzel Washington types, you got to bring it. Often times Valentine’s Day is very depressing for a single woman. If you’re not with somebody, you can get depressed. I suggest that you use this Valentine’s Day as a “I’m in love with me day.” Figure out what it is you can do to prove your love for yourself. If it means to work on your health that day—make your first doctors appointment. If it means to work on your looks because you’re dated—go and work with a personal shopper at one of your favorite department stores. If it means you need to change your make-up because you don’t know how to apply it—take a lesson at the MAC counter. If it means emotionally you’ve been going down, go and sit in on a class where other women are discussing what’s going on. If it means you’ve lost your way spiritually, join bible study. Whatever it is that you have felt prohibited you from self love—take that day—the 14th as “I’m in love with me day.”

Shelia: What are some things women should not tolerate when dating?

Star: You should never tolerate anybody being mean (I’m not speaking of being mean to you because that’s clear). That means not talking mean to people around you. One of the big tests: Are you kind to people who provide service to you? If you go out on a date, and your date is not nice to the man or woman who brings your meal, that’s a bad sign. Don’t ever put up with that because he’s putting on his best behavior to be with you and if his best behavior allows him to be mean or nasty then that’s not a good sign. I also don’t put up with people who don’t have a sense of values. I believe very strongly that you need to be equally yoked. My husband and I like a lot of the same things and we enjoy spending time with each other. Which brings me to the other thing, if you don’t enjoy spending time with them, why waste your time.

Shelia: Can men and women really be "just friends"?

Star: Yes, I have a lot of male friends who are just my buddies and my husband has a lot of female friends who are just his buddies. Actually I write about that in Shine. It was a big deal to me to be able to go talk to his female friends and not the ones he dated, but the ones he was just friends with—that’s how you really grade.

Shelia: Do you believe in love at first sight?

Star: You know I do (smile). I met Al. I looked into his eyes and the next thing you know I was madly in love. Thank God he felt the same way.

Shelia: What's the most romantic thing Al has ever done for you?

Star: On our first anniversary, I got the presents and the spa day and all of that was over the top, but Al planned the entire weekend himself. And it started with rose petals. I thought to myself that this is the kind of man I want for the long run. Someone who was thoughtful enough to identify what will make me happy and then do it—just because it would make me happy. That’s what romance is about.

Shelia: What advice would you give someone looking for real love?

Star: Self love is the first step. Don’t try to change that person that you’re in love with. People come to you as whole human beings—love the whole person.

Shelia: Do you have any advice to spice up a relationship that's gone a little stale?

Star: Well you know I’m a newlywed so I’m not the expert on that (LOL=laughing out loud), but I would say that one way to keep spice in your relationship is to always keep them guessing. My husband likes the fact I switch it up. Don’t let them get so complacent that they expect you to be a certain way.

Thank you Star for the interview. You're an encouragement for women everywhere.

Star is humble. Her sense of humor and southern hospitality comes across when you talk to her.

I couldn't make it past this line. Who the heck is the author, and how much was she paid for this article?!?!?!

I couldn't make it past this line. Who the heck is the author, and how much was she paid for this article?!?!?!

SORRY! I must have overlooked it because it was above the headline... nice read too ;) Shelia M Goss is the ESSENCE MAGAZINE Best Selling Author of My Invisible Husband. With unique storylines, readers will agree, her motto, “Stories with a twist,” ring true. Shelia´s love for music is evident, as she’s mixed her love for writing and music by reviewing CDs and interviewing music artists in all genres, such as Lisa Marie Presley, Nivea, Julie Roberts, Tweet, Boyz N Da Hood, B5, Lighthouse, etc. for various online sites. Shelia was the recipient of three 2003 Shades of Romance Magazine Reader’s Choice Multi-Cultural Awards for her debut novel, ROSES are Thorns, VIOLETS are True. Her poetry, short stories, and travel articles have appeared in National Magazines such as Black Romance Magazine and Bronze Thrills.

Feb 17th, 2006

Star crossed

By Daniel Kusner - Life+Styles Editor

Feb 16, 2006

Quote:

TV host-turned-relationship-advisor blows a fuse when questions arise regarding the ‘down low’ phenomenon and her husband’s sexual past

Star Jones writing a book about finding the ideal husband is like Anderson Cooper listing the best ways to score with hot chicks. Something just doesn’t sound right.

Star Jones added the last name Reynolds in 2004, exactly a year after she met Al Reynolds, a handsome Wall Street banker, eight years her junior. After a brief romance, Reynolds proposed to “The View” co-hostess during halftime at a Lakers game in February 2004. And that’s when the publicity machine kicked into gear.

Star and Al posed for countless couples portraits. They even launched a website that’s still up and running, StarandAl.com. But as the couple prepared for a lavish Manhattan wedding that rivaled the David Gest-Liza Minnelli nuptials, items about Al’s sexuality began appearing in gossip columns — all because Al once shared a house on Fire Island.

Then something weird happened.

Al hired publicist Cindi Berger and released a statement that said, “My fiancée and I have discussed all relevant parts of our personal histories. We are satisfied that we know everything we need to know about each other's pasts and are looking forward to our future together.”

The statement also requested that the media refrain from “destructive rumor, gossip or innuendo.”

Amid all the lawyerly jargon — “relevant parts” and “everything we need to know” — the statement had a “Pay no attention to that man behind the curtain” quality to it, which only intensified speculation.

In October 2004, “The View” taped two episodes in Dallas. And while Star was in Big D, the New York Daily News reported that Al attended an all-male Halloween party at an Italian restaurant dressed as a stripper in a white Speedo. The costume was apparently a holdover from his 2003 summer spent on Fire Island.

If things didn’t already appear somewhat peculiar, on the eve of the big November wedding, it was reported that Al threw a “Roman baths”-themed bachelor party.

Star grew up in the Miller Homes housing projects of Trenton N.J. And before her gig on “The View,” she attended law school at the University of Houston. Working for the Brooklyn District Attorney’s Office, Star was a successful prosecutor. While covering the OJ Simpson trial for “Inside Edition,” she caught Barbara Walters’ eye.

When she’s not fawning over celebrities on “The View,” Star asks tough questions and raises excellent points — especially in the often-heated “Hot Topics” segments that open every episode of the talk show. And during those segments, “The View” hostesses have discussed the “down low” phenomenon — a weak label that’s been attributed to closeted African-American men involved in heterosexual relationships who have sex with other men on the side.

The concept of “down low” is especially scary when conclusions are drawn about HIV infection and the alarming rates of African-American women who test positive.

According to the Centers of Disease Control and Prevention, HIV infection is the leading cause of death for African-American women ages 21-34. And the rate of AIDS diagnoses for African-American women is approximately 25 times the rate for white women, and four times the rate of Hispanic women.

Last month, Star released “Shine: A Physical, Emotional and Spiritual Journey to Finding Love” ($24.95, Collins). It’s supposed to trace her self-journey — how she lost 150 pounds in two years and how she “got the man.”

By avoiding being the poster girl for a particular weight-loss method, Star refuses to divulge how she slimmed down so miraculously fast. But when it comes to husband hunting, Star offers more than a few pointers.

She begins with the reproduction of a hand-written list: “The Ideal Man for Me!” Star created this list before she met Al, and she even showed it on-air on “The View.” Some prerequisite qualities for her husband-to-be included: Christian, college educated, no criminal background, Democrat and ready for marriage. Sexual history was noticeably absent from the list.

In “Shine,” Star also composed a seven-page test for readers to assess their own ideal man. Spirituality, physique, marital history, political affiliation, drug use and crime records are all fair criteria. But nowhere in her questionnaire does it assess having relationships with a bisexual or closeted man. So I thought I’d ask her about it.

Earlier this week, Star called the Dallas Voice offices.

Star Jones Reynolds: This is Star Jones calling, how are you?

Dallas Voice: I’m doing fine. And you?

I’m excellent. And any time I’m coming to Dallas, you know I’m excellent.

That’s right, you’re coming for a book signing. Everyone in Big D knows you’re our city’s biggest supporter on “The View.”

I’ve been talking about it constantly, haven’t I? Everyone picks on me. They’re like … [in a pinched nasally voice] ‘We already know how much you love Dallas.’ I’m like, “Don’t hate the player, baby, hate the game.” I love Dallas.

You said you and Al have seriously thought about settling down in Dallas in the future.

Well, I can’t put that on my husband. I’ve told him that’s where I want to be. He knows I’m very serious about it. Think about it: Dallas has everything I want. It’s got great churches, great fashion and great food. Any place that has Pappasito’s is going to make me very happy. It’s got politics, culture, Saks Fifth Ave. My girlfriends are there. And you’ve got a good basketball team, which means my life would be complete.

Your Dallas book signing coincides with Black History Month. And in February, issues that affect the African-American community become especially newsworthy. There’s one alarming statistic that particularly addresses African-American women, and that’s the rates of HIV/AIDS infections.

Definitely. You should know that I’ve been highly involved in the pandemic for many years. My first cousin died of AIDS — it’s now been 12 years. And I have been dedicated 100 percent, not just working at the foot of the legislation in theory, but with my own hands. I participate in an organization called God’s Love We Deliver, where we actually deliver meals to homebound AIDS and serious-illness patients. So that is definitely a part of my life and has been for many years.

Part of your book addresses your search for the perfect mate. Your book is like a useful guide — especially with all those self-assessment tests you created for readers. Recent statistics show that African-American women are testing positive for HIV at alarmingly higher rates compared to white women. In searching for the perfect mate, do you think women need to begin considering this phenomenon called “the down low?”

I have no idea what you’re talking about.

You’ve never heard of “the down low?” Wow, even Oprah has aired entire programs about it.

I know, but what does that have to do with me?

This goes back to the same themes your book addresses — women looking for the ideal mate. I was curious if you wanted to address these newsworthy statistics concerning African-American women and HIV infections.

From a newsworthy perspective? Because I was like … I was so completely lost as to where you were going.

From a newsworthy perspective, it’s not in “Shine.” It was not one of the issues that we address, obviously. The book was really less about “the man you wanted” and more about the person you wanted to be in order to get the man. Do you see what I’m saying? It’s much more of a self-assessment rather than sort of addressing social issues.

Don’t you think “the down low” is an important topic in 2006 — especially for African-American women who are searching for love?

But not in every book. You can’t address every issue. And that was not the issue I was addressing, obviously. Quite frankly, it was a journey I was taking to sort of better myself and to find out what it is I wanted in life. And I used it as a backdrop for other women. The book deals more with you identifying what’s going to make you happy and not a whole bunch of social issues. That might be another book, but it’s not this one.

Some folks are especially interested in your relationship with Al. During your whirlwind romance, he issued a carefully worded statement about both of your personal histories.

You know what, Daniel? I’m going be really honest with you. I’m trying really hard not to find offense in your questions, but I think you’re being really insulting to me and to my husband. And I think you’ll understand if I won’t allow that. I’m very protective of myself and my husband and our families and our friends. And I think it’s really not good journalism, and more importantly not fair for you to insinuate or in any way insult my marriage. It’s not fair.

What’s so insulting about asking about Al’s press release?

You’ll understand, Daniel, that I’m going to end this interview unless you’d like to talk about something else. This is not something I’m interested in discussing with you.

Right now this is probably the most glaringly obvious issue I can think of.

Well, it’s not glaringly obvious to me. And quite frankly, Daniel … Thank you, I appreciate your time. [And Star hung up].

Immediately after our brief conversation, two of Reynolds’ publicists called to ask about my line of questioning. They accused me of being a malicious gossipmonger. I explained that this was an opportunity for Star to discuss a serious issue facing the African-American community. And isn’t it strange that a confident woman who takes pride that she came from a low-income background, that she made it all the way to senior assistant district attorney in New York and who she calls herself “The Mouth from The South” is too sensitive to field questions about the “down low” phenomenon? While she encourages other single women to create their own The Ideal Man for Me lists, is it so unfair to ask if Star Jones had to address the “down low” topic

source

Not the best source, but pleasing to the eye none the less

STAR JONES FACES AX FROM THE VIEWhttp://www.nationalenquirer.com/celebrity/63535By PATRICIA SHIPP Star Jones may be fading from The View — sources say executives for the daytime hit are secretly interviewing celebrities to replace the diva!According to insiders, Star, 43, has worn out her welcome with her over-the- top antics after nine years on the show. Now execs are said to be going behind her back to try to replace her as soon as possible."The producers are looking for someone to take over from Star who will blend in with the other co-hosts," a show insider revealed. "They want someone who will jump into the conversation with their own viewpoint but not be so combative and stubborn as Star has been over the years."All the actresses who have been approached know this is a wonderful opportunity," the show insider added. "They are all seriously considering the job because of course it could lead to other big opportunities in the business. Who in their right mind would turn it down? Now it's up to the producers to decide who's the best choice."Star was a hit with viewers in the show's early days in 1997, says the show insider, but her on and off-air spats with co-host Joy Behar are said to have turned off her bosses. In December, the two clashed over Walters' interview of a Palestinian extremist in an Israeli jail.A rep for The View said: "Star continues to be an integral part of the show. From time to time The View approaches new talent to be substitute co-hosts." Published on: 02/16/2006

Not the best source, but pleasing to the eye none the less

STAR JONES FACES AX FROM THE VIEWhttp://www.nationalenquirer.com/celebrity/63535By PATRICIA SHIPP Star Jones may be fading from The View — sources say executives for the daytime hit are secretly interviewing celebrities to replace the diva! . . .  . . Star was a hit with viewers in the show's early days in 1997, says the show insider, but her on and off-air spats with co-host Joy Behar are said to have turned off her bosses. In December, the two clashed over Walters' interview of a Palestinian extremist in an Israeli jail. . . .

Ooooooo, I could start watching again! Do it, View, do it!!

I heard ABC got pretty angry when she was using the show's airtime to plug anyone involved with her wedding. She's also become somewhat of a public joke since her wedding. I wouldn't miss her if she weren't on their anymore.

STAR & AL IN BUST-UP Nat'l Enquirer By ALEXANDER HITCHEN Star Jones and hubby Al Reynolds had an angry screaming match triggered by rumors that he is gay. Insiders also say the bust-up has led to fears that The View host's 15-month-old marriage is in crisis. And Star fueled speculation that divorce is in the cards when she went on TV with her wedding ring on the wrong hand! An insider said: "Star and Al had a loud fight that is causing the latest problems in their troubled marriage. "I think at the root of it all is the fact she wonders whether Al really loves her. Gay rumors have followed their marriage from the beginning. It's probably caused her to question what's really going on. He seems to be hanging with his friends at odd hours." The National Enquirer revealed in November how rumors over 47-year-old banker Al's sexuality had hurt the relationship. The insider said: "Al goes away for days. Star says he's working out of town. But she knows he's working less. He's living like a king." Star, 43, appeared on TV on February 8 with a Band-Aid where her wedding ring usually is. At a booksigning session in White Plains, N.Y. later that day, she said: "I got 1,000 messages asking me if something was wrong and I said no. I told them not to worry. It's a nice thing that people are that loving - I appreciate it." Star said she had moved her ring because of an infection on her wedding finger. But she hinted her marriage was not completely hunky-dory, when she went on: "It's not all hearts and flowers and running toward each other in slow motion."

"I think at the root of it all is the fact she wonders whether Al really loves her. Gay rumors have followed their marriage from the beginning. It's probably caused her to question what's really going on. He seems to be hanging with his friends at odd hours."

Okay. She's JUST figuring this out NOW? I thought she was a lawy-yah!(do you guys remember the Tracy Morgan impression of her? LOVED that!) Edited by soho2chelsea

This is like Britney Spears divorcing Kevin Federline for being white trash.Or Kate Cruise (hahaha) calling it quits with Tom Cruise because she found the antidote the mind-drug he's been slipping in those frappacinos. Star Jones seemed so much more tolerable as a heavy girl. Now, she just looks really weird with stretchy, loose skin and a gay husband.

Things are not well in the marriage (of convenience) of Star Jones and Al Reynolds, as the two demonstrated Thursday night over dinner at Ago in West Hollywood.The View co-host is in town on her book tour and decided to hit the trendy restaurant for dinner with her husband and several pals, including Natalie Cole, one of our moles at Ago tells us."From the moment they walked in, it was a scene," says our tipster. "Star had Al wipe of her chair in the bar - where they waited for everyone in their party to arrive before they could be seated. It was incredible. Who has someone wipe a perfectly clean chair before sitting down?"Star Jones does, bitches!Then, almost instantly, Big Gay Al began downing drinks.His beverage of choice? French martinis, which are our favorite too! They make us feel butch."Star looked like a drag queen," says our Ago ally. "She was dressed in all-white, had pancake makeup on, false eyelashes, and she even had the nerve to wear a white fur wrap."PETA should protest outside her book signing!"Star was not in a good mood," says our tipster. "Al was ignoring her all night long. He just kept having French martinis and texting on his Sidekick. Then, in a hurry, Star left the restaurant - before the food was even served - and left Al behind with Natalie and their other friends."After Ago, we wouldn't be surprised if BGA made an appearance at the Slammer or the Power Zone or one of LA's other fine "saunas."As for Star, we may have to pay her a visit at one of her two book signings this weekend!perezhilton.com

While I'm inclined to believe all is not good between BGA and Star, I'm curious as to when Perez Hilton relocated to LA, when his blog bio and his imdb site have him living in New York City, and where he gets the money from to pay his moles at only one of the many restaurants that cater to the Rich and Famous. This guy is getting more repugnant by the minute.

March 14, 2006 Star Jones And Al Reynolds Pimp It Out socialitelifeI'm assuming they're just keeping up appearances. The couple helped celebrate Shaquille O'Neil's birthday along with Vivica A. Fox. I wonder what Shaq and Al had to talk about?

another shot

"Charlie's Angels"

Posted Image

Edited by heybabes