princess

Fashion Industry News

Macpherson: 'I Worry That I Look Old'

Elle Macpherson has revealed that she is worried that she looks old.

According to WENN, the supermodel is anxious about appearing on new show The Beautiful Life because she hasn't had plastic surgery.

The 46-year-old added that she is shocked at how she looks compared to her younger co-stars, including Mischa Barton and Sara Paxton.

Macpherson said: "Sometimes I really see that I'm the one that hasn't done anything because I think people must think, 'Oh my God, she looks old'."

Source: digitalspy.co.uk

http://www.stylelist.com/blog/2009/10/02/g...t-johansson%2F#

Glamour's Naked 'Plus-Sized' Models

Posted Oct 2nd 2009 at 7:00AM by Katie Hintz-Zambrano (RSS feed)

Filed under: Style in the News

Posted Image

Plus-sized beauties go au naturel for Glamour's November issue.

Photo: Matthias Vriens-McGrath for Glamour

A month ago, we reported on Glamour's efforts to push the boundaries of accepted beauty norms with a photo shoot for its November issue featuring all plus-sized models -- in the buff.

And now, the picture we've all been waiting for: seven plus-size knockouts -- Crystal Renn, Lizzie Miller, Amy Lemons, Ashley Graham, Kate Dillon, Anansa Sims and Jennie Runk -- all showing off what their mamas gave them.

In the article accompanying the photograph (and yes, all the models actually ate the catered food at the shoot!), Glamour writer Genevieve Field discusses the fashion industry's obsession with weight, explaining that any model over a size 6 is often considered plus-size because she's too big for the designer samples that typically run from a size 0-4.

Field also talks about the stigma associated with high-end designers producing garments over size 12, giving kudos to Michael by Michael Kors, Baby Phat and Isaac Mizrahi for Liz Clairborne -- all brands that embrace size 14 and above.

As Glamour editor-in-chief Cindi Leive writes on her blog, the staff is completely behind the push for a "body image revolution," which will include a commitment "to featuring a greater range of body types in our pages," she writes, "including in fashion and beauty stories (traditionally the toughest areas for even the top 'plus-size' models to crack)."

It seems even the stunning Scarlett Johansson, who appears on Glamour's November cover, has been slightly upstaged by the bevy of beauties wearing even less than the sans pants actress/singer. And that takes a lot! Pick up the November issue to get your Johansson fix.

Glamour's readers were torn between this new agenda to see more women like themselves in magazines versus the more idealized skinny versions. Where do you stand?

Weigh in, no pun intended, with a comment below.

Plus, read about Glamour model Crystal Renn's struggle with an eating disorder before becoming a plus-size model in our StyleList exclusive.

I wouldn't say any of these girls are plus size. Normal size maybe. I really don't get why the majority of the male species seems to prefer looking at stick insects when all these curves are out there! :4biggrin:

(No offence meant to the slimmer ChitChatters amongst us - I'm referring to the models.)

Janice Dickinson Loses Major Bank ... To a Bank

Janice Dickinson just learned the following $300,000 lesson -- just because you ignore something, doesn't make it go away.

According to documents, Dickinson failed to respond to a lawsuit filed against her by City National Bank -- the one in which CNB claimed she only paid back a small portion of a $275,000 loan they gave her in September of 2008.

In the papers, filed in L.A. County Superior Court last week, it says Janice now has to pay back the balance plus interest and attorney fees ... a grand total of $304,449.03.

Source TMZ

Model Karolina Kurkova Has a Boy!

Karolina Kurkova is the proud mother of a boy.

"Supermodel and G.I. Joe actress Karolina Kurkova, 25, and film producer of Voices of Iraq, Archie Drury, welcomed a son Thursday in New York," her rep confirms to PEOPLE. "Both mother and baby are happy and healthy."

The baby boy, named Tobin Jack Drury, weighed in at 6 lbs. 3 oz., and is the first child for the couple.

The birth comes just two weeks after Kurkova celebrated at her baby shower with actress Michelle Monaghan and fellow Victoria's Secret models Alessandra Ambrosio and Adriana Lima (who is also expecting) at Abe & Arthur's restaurant in N.Y.C.

"She looked amazing at her shower and she's super excited," Ambrosio told PEOPLE at the launch of Victoria's Secret Beauty Velvet after the shower.

Ambrosio, who had a daughter last year, says the Victoria's Secret models are baby crazy. "It's just great that we're all at the same time in our lives. We're all having babies, we're thinking about play dates. We're going shopping for the babies," she says. "If we have time, we're together we're talking about babies!"

Source People

Christy Turlington's Children Charity Trip

Christy Turlington wants to take her children to visit deprived communities in Tanzania.

The 40-year-old supermodel - who has worked with aid agency CARE International in Latin America and Product Red in Africa - believes taking three-year-old Finn and Grace, six, to help others less fortunate will make her a better mother.

Christy - who married actor Ed Burns in 2003 - explained: "I look forward to them being old enough to come with me; I plan to take them to Tanzania when they're eight and 11. I think sharing the world with them will be my greatest contributions as their mother.

"I've told them about some of the conditions I've witnessed, but I balance that by describing the natural beauty of a place like Africa. They can identify the spots I've visited on a map, including Bangladesh."

Christy - who became inspired to start charity work after meeting struggling pregnant women in El Salvador in 2006 - already discusses her charity work with the children so they can understand why she has to travel abroad.

She added to Parents magazine: "I learned that more than half a million women around the world die giving birth each year, and nearly all the deaths are preventable.

"My kids know that when I'm away, it's to help other moms and their families. They seem to appreciate this, which makes leaving a bit easier."

Source femalefirst

Schiffer: 'Modelling Was Great Therapy'

Claudia Schiffer has said that a career in modelling helped her overcome her shyness.

The German supermodel also told Stylist that she did not enter the industry to become famous.

Schiffer said: "When I was first discovered I didn't want to become a model, I didn't even know what it was.

"I was just so shy and hated being the centre of attention. I always sat in the back row at school, scared that someone was going to look at me."

She added: "I've learnt to overcome my shyness. Modelling has been a great type of therapy for me. Working with so many different personalities, good and bad, has forced me to come out of my shell.

"When most models start out, they love and want the attention. For me it was very much the reverse."

Source digitalspy.co.uk

It's a Girl for Adriana Lima

Adriana Lima now has a little angel of her own: the Victoria's Secret model and her husband, NBA star Marko Jaric, welcomed a daughter on Sunday in New York City.

"Adriana and Marko are thrilled to announce they had a baby girl, Valentina Lima Jaric," a rep for Lima tells PEOPLE. "Mother, father and baby are all doing well."

Lima, 28, met the Memphis Grizzlies star, 31, in 2006 and got engaged two years later on Lima's 27th birthday. The couple eloped on Valentine's Day this year, tying the knot in a small, private civil ceremony in Jackson Hole, Wyoming.

Soon after the honeymoon, Lima learned she was expecting. "We are so excited!" she told PEOPLE at the time. "We wanted this. We were ready."

"Even in my wildest days I knew that I wanted to be the ultimate family man," Jaric adds. "We're ready to settle down."

Source People

Heidi Klum wows crowd at Victoria's Secret show

By SAMANTHA CRITCHELL, AP Fashion Writer

Thursday, November 19, 2009

(AP) --

Heidi Klum and her post-baby body led the parade at the annual Victoria's Secret fashion show, which returned to New York with some fresh faces after four years on the road.

The lingerie retailer inducted five more women into its "Angel" ranks — a designation reserved for top models — in front of a packed house Thursday night at the Lexington Avenue Armory. They are Emanuela de Paula, Chanel Iman, Rosie Huntington-Whiteley, Lindsay Ellingson and Candice Swanepoel.

But Klum, who gave birth to a daughter five weeks ago, was the audience favorite in her purple corset covered with a half gown with poufs of tulle. She emerged from the huge, castlelike set to applause.

Musical guest The Black Eyed Peas — especially Fergie, its only female member, who wore a black, jeweled bodysuit — was another crowd-pleaser. Fergie came out later in a green corset gown.

Of course, fashion really is secondary here. Victoria's Secret always puts on an elaborate production (this time with a choir, acrobatic dancers and a giant polka-dot dog balloon) and fuels hype about its models. An online model search started earlier this month and is now down to two contestants, one of whom will be chosen by the public to appear in the televised version of the fashion show that CBS will air Dec. 1.

"I could watch this online, but it's a fun scene," said Russell Simmons from his front row seat. "This show is always fun and a great production."

"It's always a spectacular," agreed costume designer Patricia Field. "Victoria's Secret does that extra thing I like."

Klum, who normally wears the most elaborate outfits, only appeared once, so it was former Sports Illustrated Swimsuit cover girl Marissa Miller who had the honor of wearing a $3 million, diamond-encrusted bra.

Splashy jewels, it seemed, were one of the themes of the show with many models dripping in diamonds, crystals and other bling. Others wore faux fur stoles over their bras and panties. Thigh-high boots were the other must-have accessory.

Outfits fell into one of four themes: Star Trooper with breast plates and body armor; Pink Planet, which had a hippie vibe; the ethereal Enchanted Forest; and Romantic Journey that featured a lot of lace.

Compared to previous years, the overall collection didn't seem as skimpy, although Miranda Kerr wore an itsy-bitsy black thong get-up that might have to be edited out of the TV show.

__

On the Net:

Victoria's Secret: www.victoriassecret.com

Marc Jacobs to snub stars at future fashion shows

American fashion designer Marc Jacobs has stopped inviting stars to sit in the front row at his runway shows - because they distract the audience.

Superstars such as Madonna, Eva Mendes and the Olsen twins are regulars at the designer's annual shows, but Jacobs has vowed to turn his back on the world of celebrities.

And the style guru admits he made his decision after last year's exhibition - when the Material Girl demanded a seat without being invited.

He tells Style.com, "I'm not into the celebrity thing... like we used to. That's boring. We're not going to have celebrities. Last season, we had two celebrities... one because Lady Gaga was doing our party, and she didn't even make it to her seat because we started the show before she got there.

"And one was Madonna. She came backstage, and I was like, 'What do you do with her now?' Because it's not like she was invited. She just called and said she was coming, and we weren't holding the show for her. She just came, and that was it. There are certain things I can't control.

"We used to have all the celebrities and people there, and I think that at that moment in time, that's what people loved. It generated so much press and at a certain point it was like, 'Did anybody actually watch the show?'"

source: http://www.sfgate.com

Spokeswoman: Alexander McQueen found dead at home

(02-11) 07:58 PST LONDON, United Kingdom (AP) --

British fashion designer Alexander McQueen has been found dead at his London home, his spokeswoman said. He was 40 years old.

Images

Company spokeswoman Samantha Garrett said McQueen's body was discovered Thursday morning but said she had no information "in terms of circumstances."

Police did not directly comment when asked about how McQueen died, but said officers were called by the ambulance service at 10:20 a.m. (1020 GMT) to an address on Green Street, in central London, and found a 40-year-old man dead. They did not name him but said next of kin had been informed.

The force said a post-mortem would be conducted but that the death was not being treated as suspicious.

British designer Alexander McQueen found dead

Gregory Katz, Associated Press Writer – 5 mins ago

LONDON – Influential and controversial British fashion designer Alexander McQueen, a leading light in the fashion firmament, was found dead in his London home Thursday, his company announced. He was 40 years old.

Police said his death was not being treated as suspicious.

McQueen's sudden death robbed the fashion scene of one of its most innovative and successful young designers. He made his name first in London, then wooed audiences in Paris, New York and Milan to take his place in the upper echelons of the designing world.

His clothes were sexy and distinctive, dramatic and different, perfect for red-carpet presentations and late night rock gatherings.

Acclaim and honors came in waves to the talented, bearded man favored by celebrities like Madonna, Lady Gaga, and Naomi Campbell. He was named British Fashion Designer of the Year on four separate occasions.

Despite the accolades, McQueen clung tenaciously to his privacy, turning down most interview requests and shying away from the post-show limelight other designers craved.

Known for his dramatic statement pieces and impeccable tailoring, he helped raise the profile of British fashion and was recognized by Queen Elizabeth II in 2003 when she made him a Commander of the British Empire for his fashion leadership.

His pieces were coveted and treasured by stylish women across the globe.

"McQueen influenced a whole generation of designers. His brilliant imagination knew no bounds as he conjured up collection after collection of extraordinary designs," said Alexandra Shulman, the editor of British Vogue.

Hal Rubenstein, a fashion director for InStyle magazine, said McQueen started out tough and angry — in his work and attitude — but softened over time as he felt more appreciated by the industry.

McQueen, he said, was a master of integration of technology into fashion.

"He changed the way so many of us see shows."

Vivienne Westwood, perhaps Britain's most revered designer, said she was "incredibly sorry" to hear of McQueen's death. Model Kate Moss, another McQueen aficionado, said she was devastated at the loss of her dear friend.

Little was immediately known about the circumstances surrounding his death, which came as the fashion elite was gathered in New York for a series of catwalk shows.

Recently posted comments on his Twitter page showed signs of anguish over the Feb. 2 death of his mother.

He said he wanted his mother to rest in peace and said, "But life must go on!!!!!!!!!!!!!!"

Using an obscenity, he added that he had had an "awful week" and said he had to "some how pull myself together and finish."

A presentation of McQueen's secondary label, McQ, had been scheduled for Thursday's opening day of New York Fashion Week.

McQueen had never been expected at the show, which was quickly canceled.

The designer received his early fashion training at the Central St. Martin's College of Art and Design, long recognized for its fashion-forward approach and encouragement of Britain's talented young designers.

He learned the finer points of traditional men's tailoring at two famous, conservative Savile Row houses: Anderson and Sheppard and also Gieves and Hawkes.

"He was 16 when he came here," said John Hitchcock of Anderson and Sheppard. "He was a boy from Essex, he wanted to learn tailoring. He was a little bit different — he was very ambitious."

He said McQueen's success had inspired the next generation of designers.

After his Savile Row stint, McQueen started to develop his trademark, more theatrical designs, working with several other brands before first starting his own label in 1992.

He quickly earned a reputation for innovation that lasted until his death. His last name soon entered the fashion lexicon and become synonymous with new and cutting edge.

The company he founded was purchased by the Gucci Group, and he retained creative control of his own brand.

His runway shows — more often like performance pieces because they were so dramatic, and sometimes, bizarre — were always a highlight during the Paris ready-to-wear fashion week.

One of his previous collections included a show built around the concept of recycling, with models donning extravagant headwear made out of trash. His last collection, shown in October in Paris, featured elaborate and highly structured cocktail dresses. Critics raved.

His edgy creations have been seen on numerous red carpets, worn by A-list actresses, including Sandra Bullock and Cameron Diaz.

Lady Gaga recently made waves when she wore McQueen's spring 2010 lobster-claw shoes in her "Bad Romance" music video.

McQueen's death came days before London Fashion Week, an event McQueen had skipped in recent years.

___

Associated Press Writers Raphael G. Satter and Sylvia Hui in London, Jenny Barchfield in Paris and Samantha Critchell in New York contributed to this report.

Heidi Klum, Kim Kardashian Remember Designer Alexander McQueen

Fashion designer Alexander McQueen -- beloved by celebs like Lady Gaga, Gwen Stefani, Janet Jackson and others -- left behind scores of friends and admirers when he was found dead in London Thursday at age 40.

"He was absolutely one of the most talented, extraordinary designers in the world ever," a visibly shaken Heidi Klum told UsMagazine.com Thursday morning at a Destination Maternity event in New York City. "Very extraordinary. Thinks outside the box, not just the basics."

"I'm in shock! So sad!" Tweeted Kim Kardashian. "I'm wearing one of his dresses now! He was such a talented designer."

Fashionista Victoria Beckham said, "He made all he touched beautiful and will be desperately missed. My heart is very much with his family and friends at this very sad time."

Supermodel Naomi Campbell grieved: ""I am truly devastated to lose my close friend...This is a sad day to all who loved him around the world and my condolences are with his family. I will miss him so much, he will never be forgotten."

A rep for Kate Moss said that the British model is "shocked and devastated at the tragic loss of her dear friend...Her thoughts are with his family at this sad time"

Tyra Banks mourned via Twitter: "so so sad. such a huge loss. He was one of my favorite designers. He will be missed."

Kirstie Alley also paid tribute to McQueen:"you made big bottomed and not so big bottomed girls all over the world look stunning..come back soon..give it another go"

Dita von Teese said simply: "Rest in peace, Mr. McQueen."

Kelly Osbourne wrote, "i am so so sad to hear the news...i really just dont know what say im really in shock"

The fashion world, of course, is devastated. As New York's Fashion Week kicks off in NYC's Bryant Park on Thursday, NYmag.com fashion blog The Cut noted that the "tents [are] in mourning over McQueen. Some tears." Thursday's presentation of McQueen's lower-priced line, McQ, was cancelled.

In a statement, Vogue's famous editor-in-chief Anna Wintour called McQueen "one of the greatest talents of his generation...In such a short career, [his] influence was astonishing - from street style, to music culture and the world's museums. His passing marks an insurmountable loss."

Designer Philip Lim told UsMagazine.com in Bryant Park Thursday, "I'm speechless. It makes me ill. If anything positive can come out of this, we should take the moment to appreciate what we have, what we do...I love what I do, and I should be damn appreciative that I can still do it."

"He clearly was so talented, somebody everybody in the fashion world really not only loved personally but also really respected. [His] recent show was just incredible and had everybody talking," Cyndi Leive, editor-in-chief of Glamour magazine told UsMagazine.com Thursday.

Elle magazine's editor-in-chief Robbie Myers told UsMagazine.com: "It's shocking, sad and heartbreaking...[He had] so much to say to the rest of us, and we were all listening. Your heart breaks...God, it's horrible."

"He was a great designer," Glenda Bailey of Harper's Bazaar tells Us. "The fashion industry has lost one of our greatest talents.

McQueen's London office confirmed his death to UsMagazine.com Thursday. While early reports claim McQueen was distraught and hung himself, a spokesperson tells Us, "At this stage it is inappropriate to comment on this tragic news beyond saying that we are devastated and are sharing a sense of shock and grief with [Alexander's] family."

source: USweekly

Stars walk the runway for charity

Stars including Jordin Sparks, Felicity Huffman, Joan Collins and socialite Kim Kardashian kicked off New York Fashion Week on Thursday night by walking the runway for charity.

The event opened with The Red Dress Collection catwalk show, which sees celebrities don designer creations to help raise money for The Heart Truth campaign to raise awareness of heart disease in women.

Sparks led the parade in a Badgley Mischka dress, while Huffman stepped out in Oscar de la Renta. Other stars who turned out for the good cause include British singer Estelle, actress Kristin Chenoweth and supermodel Heidi Klum.

And Klum admits her catwalk competition on the big night was fierce. She tells the Associated Press, "All these women have never done runway and they get out there and strut their stuff. It's fun and I love all the different fashion. This is not modeling with a runway walk and a mean face. It's a different feeling. It's goofy, funny and you ham it up."

sourc: http://www.sfgate.com

Six years after they first met at Vogue's Costume Institute Gala at the Metropolitan Museum of Art (naturally), David Lauren proposed to Lauren Bush inside the same museum on Friday evening, surprising her with "a brilliant diamond ring," before "the happy couple" went arm-in-arm into a hansom carriage, according to the Post. David, 39, Ralph Lauren's son, is executive vice-president at Polo Ralph Lauren, while "Beautiful Lauren," 26, granddaughter of President George H.W. Bush, has "helped feed more than 60 million impoverished children through the sale of her Feed Projects line of burlap bags," according to "Page Six." The two plan to wed in 2011. Basically, everything sounds absolutely perfect here, except for one thing: Her name will be Lauren Lauren, if she takes her husband's last name.

:lol: I'm sorry. All I can think about is her new name will be Lauren Lauren.

She could go with Lauren Lifshitz, right? ;-)

Though "Lauren B Lauren" or "Lauren Bush Lauren" isn't so bad.....

:lol: I'm sorry. All I can think about is her new name will be Lauren Lauren.

She could go with Lauren Lifshitz, right? ;-)

Though "Lauren B Lauren" or "Lauren Bush Lauren" isn't so bad.....

That reminds me of Doug E. Doug.

I wouldn't be surprised if she simply continues to go by "Lauren Bush."

That reminds me of Doug E. Doug.

I wouldn't be surprised if she simply continues to go by "Lauren Bush."

The ladies on Fashionista were talking about another dual namer but I can't remember now.....

http://fashionista.com/2010/12/lauren-laur...pening-we-hope/

Here we go: Griffith J Griffith ??

Edited by Hoyaheel

There are two well-known soccer-playing brothers in England, Gary and Phil Neville. They both used to play for Manchester United but Phil now plays for Everton. They also have a sister (Tracy) who plays netball for England. Their father is Neville Neville.

I love the next day photos of the Met Gala!

Worst dressed - Sandra Lee or Katie Holmes http://fashionista.com/2014/05/met-gala-re...~oDwXobl3eWKd4q

Haven't decided on best dressed yet. I loved SJP - I like a funky ballgown!! Some of the outfits I like, but don't think they were appropriate for the event/theme...

Edited by Hoyaheel