Sign in to follow this  
Bette Davis

Christian Bale

I'll give him a pass(as long as it wasn't physical abuse, I don't dig gettin' physical with women)...and for two reasons. First, meeting him and he was extremely nice(unlike douche-bag Don Cheadle), and he's a child star who has survived in this business. And yeah, he probably does drugs or whatever..but he's not been getting any DUI's...I'm looking at you Shia... <_<

I haven't met Christian Bale personally, unfortunately, but I know someone who is distantly related to him through marriage. He met him at some personal event (not a hollywood party or business function) and had nothing but nice things to say about him. Just thought I'd back up BobbyD's experience.

He always struck me as being pretty decent.

By the way, I've loved him ever since I saw him play Laurie in "Little Women." He was wonderful!

When I was in grade school, Christian was in a Disney (?) muscial, "Newsies." That's where the crush officially started for me. He had a lisp in the movie, but it was almost a sexy lisp/accent. Yum.

I am embarassed to admit I have seen that movie more than once :unsure: I too loved it. And I don't think I was in grade school when it came out :ph34r:

Oh Hoya...don't be embarrassed....embarrassed would be me admitting that we owned the VHS (yes, VHS) and my sister had the soundtrack, which I would always beg to listen to. See, you must feel better now? :)

He was amazing in Empire. I still can picture the look on his face when he watched, from behind the barbwire fence, the Japanese little boy playing among the airplanes.

'The Dark Knight' enters 'Titanic' territory

Repeat customers are giving the Batman film a boost at the box office.

By John Horn, Los Angeles Times Staff Writer

July 29, 2008

It's as hallowed a statistic to Hollywood as Joe DiMaggio's 56-game hitting streak is to baseball: "Titanic's" record box-office gross of $600.8 million. All of a sudden, that mark might be within " The Dark Knight's" reach.

Distribution executives have started debating in earnest the potential total "Dark Knight" haul, which already has passed $300 million and is projected to eclipse the $400-million mark on Aug. 4 or 5. Although half a dozen industry insiders surveyed Monday said "Titanic's" record appeared safe for now, the majority of distribution executives placed the film's probable final gross just past $500 million, thanks in part to repeat business from across the audience spectrum.

That would make "The Dark Knight" the second-highest grossing film of all-time, ahead of 1977's "Star Wars Episode IV: A New Hope" (whose combined theatrical releases total $461 million) and 2004's "Shrek 2" ($436.7 million).

In its second week of release, "The Dark Knight" grossed $75.2 million, for total sales of $313.7 million. The Warner Bros. sequel's performance was especially strong on Sunday, with a gross of $23.7 million. Rival distributors said that was evidence that older moviegoers, families, Latino and African American audiences were flocking to the film, because those moviegoers tend to turn out at the end of the weekend.

The film appears on track to pass the $400-million mark as early as Monday, in which case "The Dark Knight" would pass that benchmark in its 18th day of release. The film to have passed $400 million most quickly up until now is "Shrek 2," which took 43 days to get there.

"Titanic," which opened in 1997 but did most of its business in 1998, was the nation's No. 1 film for a remarkable 15 weeks in a row. Although it never sparked weekend business like "The Dark Knight," writer-director James Cameron's epic love story generated enormous repeat business from teenage girls.

"The Dark Knight" is also drawing a steady stream of repeaters; one rival distribution executive said his teenage kids had seen the film three times. And that kind of can't-get-enough interest has helped start the "Titanic" comparisons.

"We are honored to be considered in that company," said Dan Fellman, the domestic distribution chief for Warner Bros. "But I think 'Titanic' will hold that record for eternity."

Because "Titanic" came out when movie tickets were much cheaper (an average of $4.69 in 1998), it could still have sold more tickets than the "Dark Knight" will, even if the latter film somehow ends up grossing more. The average movie ticket will probably run about $7 this year.

Regardless of inflation's effect, "The Dark Knight" is clearly the story of Hollywood's summer.

"This has become a cultural phenomenon on so many levels," said Greg Foster, the president for Imax Filmed Entertainment, whose "Dark Knight" sales have surpassed $16.4 million, a record. "Even my dad [septuagenarian movie producer David Foster] has seen it three times."

john.horn@latimes.com

Personally I think everyone in Hollywood's on drugs. And gay.

Gay and high, all of 'em. ;)

I know it's kinda off-topic, but had to LOL at that :D :D

What's with Batman's voice in 'Dark Knight'?

Many comments on Christian Bale's Batman voice in "Dark Knight"

NEW YORK (AP) -- Though "The Dark Knight" has been a bona fide cultural event, boasting rave reviews and boffo box office, it hasn't been immune to criticism. Some have quibbled with its political undercurrents, and others have criticized a muddled theme.

As Batman, Christian Bale's voice is deeper and raspier than his voice as Bruce Wayne.

But here's the critique most widely held: Why does Batman talk like the offspring of Clint Eastwood and a grizzly bear?

Donning the costume for the second time, Christian Bale has delved deeper into the lower registers. As Bruce Wayne, his voice is as smooth as his finely pressed suits. But once he puts the cape on, the transformation of his vocal chords is just as dramatic as his costume change.

Particularly when his rage boils over, Bale's Batman growls in an almost beastly fashion, reflecting how close he teeters between do-gooder and vengeance-crazed crusader.

"The Dark Knight" hauled in $43.8 million to rank as Hollywood's top movie for the third straight weekend, fending off "The Mummy: Tomb of the Dragon Emperor," which opened a close second with $42.5 million. It has earned $394.9 million in just 17 days, according to studio estimates Sunday.

Though much of the voice effect is Bale's own doing, under the guidance of director Christopher Nolan and supervising sound editor Richard King, the frequency of his Batman voice was modulated to exaggerate the effect.

Critics and fans have noticed.

"His Batman rasps his lines in a voice that's deeper and hammier than ever," said NPR's David Edelstein.

The New Yorker's David Denby praised the urgency of Bale's Batman, but lamented that he "delivers his lines in a hoarse voice with an unvarying inflection."

Reviewing the film for MSNBC, Alonso Duralde wrote that Bale's Batman in "Batman Begins" "sounded absurdly deep, like a 10-year-old putting on an 'adult' voice to make prank phone calls. This time, Bale affects an eerie rasp, somewhat akin to Brenda Vaccaro doing a Miles Davis impression."

Before the similes run too far afield, it's worth considering where the concept of a throaty Batman comes from.

In his portrayal on the '60s "Batman" TV series, Adam West didn't alter his voice between Bruce Wayne and Batman. Decades later when Tim Burton brought "Batman" to the big screen in a much darker incarnation, Michael Keaton's inflection was notably -- but not considerably -- different from one to the other.

But it was a lesser-known actor who, a few years after Burton's film, made perhaps the most distinct imprint on Batman's voice. Kevin Conroy, as the voice of the animated Batman in various projects from 1992's "Batman: The Animated Series" right up until this year's "Batman: Gotham Knight," brought a darker, raspier vocalization to Batman.

Conroy has inhabited the role longer than anyone else and though animated voice-over work doesn't have the same cachet as feature film acting, there are quarters where Conroy is viewed as the best Batman of them all -- certainly superior to Val Kilmer or George Clooney.

The animated series are notable because they drew on the DC Comics of Batman as envisioned by Frank Miller, whose work heavily informs "Batman Begins" and "The Dark Knight." (Bale and Nolan were unavailable to comment for this story.)

As Batman has gotten darker, his voice has gotten deeper. As some critics suggest, Bale and "The Dark Knight" may have reached a threshold, at least audibly.

Bale Went Ballistic

TMZ

WARNING: THIS AUDIO CONTAINS GRAPHIC LANGUAGE

You may remember that Christian Bale went nuts on the set of "Terminator Salvation" a few months back, threatening to stop production and beat some serious ass.

The incident was audiotaped, and it's amazing. It happened on the set after a director of photography accidentally ruined a scene by walking onto the set. Bale lost it, screaming, yelling and threatening to quit if the bosses didn't fire the dude.

Film execs sent the tape to the insurance company that insured the film in case Bale bailed.

Click to listen!

Bale Went Ballistic

TMZ

You may remember that Christian Bale went nuts on the set of "Terminator Salvation" a few months back, threatening to stop production and beat some serious ass.

The incident was audiotaped, and it's amazing. It happened on the set after a director of photography accidentally ruined a scene by walking onto the set. Bale lost it, screaming, yelling and threatening to quit if the bosses didn't fire the dude.

Film execs sent the tape to the insurance company that insured the film in case Bale bailed.

Click to listen!

What an asshole. :rolleyes:

Definitely dropped several notches in my regard. I've never been a huge fan or anything but better that than having people think so negatively of him. Jackass. What the hell could he have been thinking? I like all the Terminator movies so far--when I see this new one I won't be able to stop myself from thinking about what a nasty piece of work he is.

Definitely dropped several notches in my regard. I've never been a huge fan or anything but better that than having people think so negatively of him. Jackass. What the hell could he have been thinking? I like all the Terminator movies so far--when I see this new one I won't be able to stop myself from thinking about what a nasty piece of work he is.

I felt sorry for him when his mother and sister accused him of violence against them. Now I understand and feel sorry for THEM. I used to like him (Laurel Canyon is one of my favorites), but he certainly seems to have taken a trip to the dark side. :blink:

Bale Went Ballistic

TMZ

Click to listen!

Golly, who allows a person to behave like that? Are you a professional or not indeed.

Looks like he has a drug problem.

Sounds to me like more of an anger management problem. Remember the story last year of how he went off on his mother and sister before the London premier of "The Dark Knight?"

Perhaps alec baldwin and mel gibson can do a film with him. That would be a fun group. Big props to the PR machine that kept this temper under wraps for so long. And Ted C a notch up for sayin the guys got a temper problem. What a shmuck. Hey Chrissy, youre an actor. get over it newsie. Geeze I remember him from empire of the sun.

I don't know, we are only hearing Bale, we have no idea what happened prior to this and what the other people involved were doing or saying.There could be some jackass standing there flipping him off or mocking him , who knows. Actors can be very intense & a lot of great actors immerse themselves in the moment, it can be very startling to have someone just walk in & disrupt the moment. I'm going to reserve judgment, the set could have been horrible that day & someone could have egged him on, who knows.

I get so tired of hearing the F word. Bale needs a new word, perhaps Okra? I would love to hear that rant with okra substituted for every F*ck.

You can hear people trying to placate him in the background, but he just can't let it go. What a huge asshole.

I've never seen the appeal, and for sure I don't now. What a horrible person to berate someone like that in front of a group of people.

Uh..there's such a thing as treating people with a bit of decency and he doesn't seem to get that.

The guy walked in his line of sight while filming. He made a mistake as he tried to explain. This tape was sent to the insurance company by the producers apparently to protect them in case he bailed on the movie. To show what a dipstick he is.

Oh well. Guys like this always pop off to the wrong person eventually and get their teeth shoved down their throat.

That will happen to him one day!

The guy walked in his line of sight while filming.

Not that it changes my opinion that Bale went way over the top in an inappropriate way, but the guy walked through his shot (ie on camera) not just "in his sight line". So if it was the best shot Bale had done yet, it had to be redone. Frustrating, I'm sure, but absolutely no reason to react the way he did unless he has serious anger issues.

Bale Went Ballistic

TMZ

Click to listen!

Golly, who allows a person to behave like that? Are you a professional or not indeed.

wow. What struck me was the fact that everyone tip-toed around him while he ranted. Seriously???? He was SO out of control and wrong, and no one felt the need to point that out? No wonder these "stars" are all effed up.