BobbyD

Eddie Murphy

I love this choice! I will always have a soft spot in my heart for Eddie Murphy. The man makes me laugh. His stand-up routine was profanity-laced but hilarious. My family loves Trading Places and 48 Hours. Everyone I know has sung his version of Roxanne at least once in their life. Hosting the Oscars? This I'm looking forward to.

I'm on the fence here. I love the totally outrageous SNL/early and mid eighties Eddie Murphy, but I suspect we'll be getting the corporately sanitized Dr. Doolittle/Norbert Eddie Murphy instead.

I actually like the choice as well....not because I'm hoping for the comedic genius of old, but because he's going up there without worrying about pissing anybody off in the Hollywood establishment. That's been one major problem with Oscar hosts, balancing their jokes with ass kissing. I think he'll do alright, probably not too hilarious...but definitely enough to keep a great interest, while being a little catty.

Besides, he can't do any worse than Franco and Hathaway.

I guess we'll never know.....

Eddie Murphy follows Ratner and quits Oscar gig

APAP – 12 mins ago

LOS ANGELES (AP) — Eddie Murphy has bowed out of his gig as host of the Academy Awards, following pal Brett Ratner's decision to leave the show as producer because of an uproar over a gay slur.

The news of Murphy's departure came Wednesday, a day after Ratner quit as producer of the Feb. 26 show.

Ratner left amid criticism of his use of a pejorative term for gay men in a question-and-answer session at a screening of his action comedy "Tower Heist," which stars Murphy and Ben Stiller.

Murphy said in a news release from the Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences that he had looked forward to playing host at the Oscars but that he understands and supports "each party's decision with regard to a change of producers."

I guess we'll never know.....

Eddie Murphy follows Ratner and quits Oscar gig

APAP – 12 mins ago

LOS ANGELES (AP) — Eddie Murphy has bowed out of his gig as host of the Academy Awards, following pal Brett Ratner's decision to leave the show as producer because of an uproar over a gay slur.

The news of Murphy's departure came Wednesday, a day after Ratner quit as producer of the Feb. 26 show.

Ratner left amid criticism of his use of a pejorative term for gay men in a question-and-answer session at a screening of his action comedy "Tower Heist," which stars Murphy and Ben Stiller.

Murphy said in a news release from the Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences that he had looked forward to playing host at the Oscars but that he understands and supports "each party's decision with regard to a change of producers."

First, what did Brett Ratner say??

And Eddie is closeted, so did he quit to prove he's straight?? Or something else going on?? I don't get why he quit just because Brett did (even knowing they just made a movie together). ??

And Eddie is closeted, so did he quit to prove he's straight?? Or something else going on?? I don't get why he quit just because Brett did (even knowing they just made a movie together). ??

1) Apparently the word "fags"

2) As I understand it, the only reason Eddie was doing it was because Brett was producing and had asked him. Once Brett was gone, the reason for Eddie saying yes was gone too.

Edited by branchop

2) As I understand it, the only reason Eddie was doing it was because Brett was producing and had asked him. Once Brett was gone, the reason for Eddie saying yes was gone too.

Given the rumors surrounding Murphy, the comments made by Ratner, should also be considered somewhat ironic.

As for Murphy leaving? Meh. Who really cares?

The most ironic thing about this whole fiasco is that it will drum up a ton of free publicity for Murphy/Ratner's new movie.

In addition to the "rehearsals are for fags" comment Ratner made, I'm sure his interview with Howard Stern and disparaging remarks about Olivia (which one - Munn? I think) were not well timed.....I don't think Ratner would have been a good director anyway, but would be nice to get some new writers....Bring back Hugh Jackman :4biggrin:

I'm not sure if Murphy dropped out because he was only doing it as a favor to Ratner in the first place - or if there was pressure from LGBT groups because Murphy's old comedy routines were heavily homophobic, and if Ratner was "fired" for homophobic remarks, did it make sense to keep Murphy? Irony......

As for Murphy leaving? Meh. Who really cares?

The most ironic thing about this whole fiasco is that it will drum up a ton of free publicity for Murphy/Ratner's new movie.

Actually, I kinda do. I'd like to have a host who can be catty and not kiss butts of people there. Eddie might've fit it, since he's not pursuing any award. Diversity is also a great thing as well.

The publicity...isn't really helping the flick. It will be out of theaters by Oscar time and this weekend, It got beat by Puss In Boots...normally it's Puss getting...oh, I digress... ;)

I understand what you are saying about the movie being out of theaters at oscar time, but this fiasco is happening now when the movie is in the theaters.

Sorry about the lack of diversity, I just find a prime time censored for tv Murphy not funny.

Does Puss need to have his fur . . . . .? :drool:

Edited by tyler

I understand what you are saying about the movie being out of theaters at oscar time, but this fiasco is happening now when the movie is in the theaters.

Sorry about the lack of diversity, I just find a prime time censored for tv Murphy not funny.

Does Puss need to have his fur . . . . .? :drool:

I hear you. But I think he'd be a hell of a lot better than last years hosts, Dazed (James Franco) and Confused (Ann Hathaway). Movie's officially a flop...so any controversy won't help it.

Puss..mmmmm...Tyler.

I like Eddie Murphy humor from the raw days, but he's been disney-fied and I don't know that he'd be able to carry off the Oscars in an amusing way. He'd have to be toned down from the old days and I don't have evidence that the "new" days are funny......

I wouldn't mind seeing Hugh Jackman again. I didn't watch last year (I think I was travelling that day - watched some of the recap, and yeah, Franco was a mess. Not even a hot mess- an icky lukewarm mess.....)

Good point. He has sucked since the 80's...exception Bowfinger and Boomerang. I just remember his recent Oscar Nom, I think it was for Dream Girls and he was so pissed he lost, he left. So I was hoping for a little snark, cattiness...since he's probably going to be up for anything for some time.

Can't get behind Hugh Jackman...that was odd seeing Wolverine, Mr. Action man...doing a song and dance...i mean...really, really, enjoying doing a song and dance. :4biggrin:

Maybe this is the time for NPH? Paging Neil Patrick Harris??

I'd back him. Also the guy from English version of The Office - what did he host, the Emmy's??

However, E! just posted that Billy Crystal got the gig again....

I like Billy Crystal or Steve Martin as hosts, but rather safe....

Accornding to the E!News flash I just got, Crystal is back.

Wonder if he still has Hannibal's mask?

Can't get behind Hugh Jackman...that was odd seeing Wolverine, Mr. Action man...doing a song and dance...i mean...really, really, enjoying doing a song and dance. :4biggrin:

I guess I've always preferred Jackman as "Boy from Oz" and not as Wolverine. Different contexts, eh? I find myself agreeing with Lainey's posts about Jackman - he really, REALLY gives his all, all the time. Always cheerful, not a pissy "I'm famous, leave me the fuck alone" kind of guy.

I did enjoy Billy Crystal in the 90s. I agree it's a safe choice. But it could still be good.

Now, if we could get rid of gawdawful Ryan Seacrest & Guiliana whatsherface on the Red Carpet, my life would be perfect :-)

Now, if we could get rid of gawdawful Ryan Seacrest & Guiliana whatsherface on the Red Carpet, my life would be perfect :-)

Why stop at the Red Carpet? Let's get rid of both of them completely.

I'd back him. Also the guy from English version of The Office - what did he host, the Emmy's??

However, E! just posted that Billy Crystal got the gig again....

I've said it before, I'll say it again: Let's avoid the confusion and indecision and just let NPH host every awards show. All of them. Even the CMA's.

Crystal...eh, safe choice. Not excited, not disappointed. Just eh.

I've said it before, I'll say it again: Let's avoid the confusion and indecision and just let NPH host every awards show. All of them. Even the CMA's.

I would love to see that. Or at least him doing an SNL skit of it!!

Ok, I really need an Oscars (or awards show thread) but - how awesome would Hugh Jackman and NPH together be?

Tonys- last year?

Then they have to do a song and dance number together. ;)