princess

Hilary Swank

I really, really hope that they manage to work it out.  Tough, though.  They've been together since she was 17 years old... I'm sure she's changed a lot since then.

Agree, Freckles. And I really hand it to these two. They've been very classy in how they have handled this from the separation to now. Imagine - a Hollywood couple who actually 'works' on their relationship instead of running to the lawyers. Too bad there aren't more of them around.

Swank and Lowe Not Reconciling Despite recent sightings of Hilary Swank and Chad Lowe appearing affectionate together, the couple will not be reconciling, according to media reports in the US. The pair, she a two-time Oscar winner and he an Emmy Award winner, called it quits in January after eight years of marriage, but were hopeful they could work things out during a trial separation. A source tells American publication Us Weekly that spending too much time apart was to blame for the eventual demise of the relationship, adding, "They are not getting back together. There seemed to be competition between them."

Too bad. I liked them as a couple. But, I don't know many couples who get together when she's 17 and stay together. People change as they grow up. She must be aching to sew some wild oats!!!

HILARY'S NEW BOSOM BUDDY

April 25, 2006

Star

It appears that Hilary Swank, 31, and Chad Lowe, 38, may have given up on patching up their marriage. Hilary was spotted — without her wedding ring — with her agent John Campisi on March 9, having lunch at NYC's Tartine restaurant. Then on April 1, the pair ate brunch at Morgan's Cafe in Pacific Palisades, Calif. The next day, the pair — who her lawyer says are just friends — were seen jogging in nearby Will Rogers State Historic Park. And the sightings continue: On April 14, the duo was spotted exercising at a park in Malibu, Calif.

Hilary Swank to File for DivorceMay 26, 2006After eight years of marriage, HILARY SWANK is filing for divorce from CHAD LOWE, according to People magazine."Hilary Swank and Chad Lowe have jointly decided to divorce," the couple's attorney told People. "They continue to be friends and have the utmost respect for one another."The couple announced their separation back in January, but Hilary told ET at the Golden Globes that she was hopeful things might work out.Hilary and Chad married in October of 1997 and have no children together.Hilary won the 2004 Oscar for Best Lead Actress ('Million Dollar Baby') and at that time thanked Lowe, "last, but not least," for the support -- after her glaring omission when she won the Oscar in 2000 for 'Boys Don't Cry' and forgot to acknowledge her then-hubby.Lowe, brother of actor ROB LOWE, won an Emmy for Best Supporting Actor in 1993 for his role in the TV series "Life Goes On." More recently he had a small role in the 2002 RICHARD GERE film 'Unfaithful.'Watch ET for the latest!

Boring.I hate her. Absolutely hate her. She stole Annette Bening's Oscar...TWICE.

I agree. Plain black dresses are for plebs like us, who need a dress that can be worn in all sorts of different circumstances and for which matching shoes can easily be found. It might be good for "us," but crappy for the majority of celebs who can afford to buy many different dresses and who have aids who can find them shoes to match anything they buy. GO FOR SOMETHING A LITTLE LESS DRAB, PLEASE!

Here's the CNN article. Why is she throwing him under the bus by disclosing this?

Swank: Husband's addiction hurt marriage

Couple confirmed split in May

Wednesday, July 5, 2006; Posted: 12:44 p.m. EDT (16:44 GMT)

Manage Alerts | What Is This? NEW YORK (Reuters) -- Oscar-winning actress Hilary Swank said the breakdown of her eight-year marriage to actor Chad Lowe was partially due to the substance abuse problem he had been battling.

Swank, who won best actress Oscars for her performance in "Million Dollar Baby" and "Boys Don't Cry," confirmed in May that the couple had decided to end their marriage but gave no reason for the split.

Swank told the latest edition of magazine Vanity Fair that she was shocked when she found out about Lowe's addiction, which contributed to their marriage's slide.

"I don't want to make it seem like that's the sole reason [for their breakup]; there were other factors," Swank told the magazine, which arrived on newsstands on Wednesday. "But that just kind of blew it open; it made me look at things a lot deeper.

"It's an enormous obstacle to overcome and he's doing it. He's living a sober life. I know how difficult it is and I'm really proud of his sobriety."

Swank, 31, did not give details on what substances were abused by Lowe, who works mostly in television and whose career has been overshadowed by Swank's, as well that of his better-known older brother Rob Lowe.

Swank and Lowe, 38, married in September 1997. She said she initiated the divorce but it ended up being mutual.

Hilary: Chad's Substance Abuse Caused Split

WEDNESDAY JULY 05, 2006 07:40AM EST

People.com: By Stephen M. Silverman

Posted Image

Chad Lowe's "substance-abuse" problem was at the heart of the reason that his marriage to Hilary Swank broke up, the double Oscar-winning actress reveals in a candid new interview.

"I knew something was happening but I didn't know what," Swank tells Vanity Fair magazine. She also says her ex has been fighting his problem for years, and he is sober now. She does not name what substance he abused.

But, she says in excerpts from the interview obtained by the New York Post, "When I found out, it was such a shock because I never thought he'd keep something from me. And yet, on another level, it was a confirmation of something I was feeling that was keeping us from being completely solid."

She goes on to say, "I don't want to make it seem like that's the sole reason; there were other factors. But that just kind of blew it open. It made me look at things a lot deeper. That's when you realize it's not going to work."

Representatives for Lowe, 38, could not be reached for comment on the article.

Swank, 31, who took home Hollywood's highest prize for Boys Don't Cry and Million Dollar Baby, denies that the success of her career was a factor in their breakup.

"Chad is very supportive of my career," she says in the interview. "He is, I think, genuinely happy for my success . . . I think that any frustration for him stemmed from the lack of opportunities in his own career."

As for her reaction upon learning of her husband's habit, she says: "When I found out, I wanted to be there, I knew it was the most important time of his life. That's when he needed me most."

His problem, she adds, is "an enormous obstacle to overcome, and he's doing it. He's living a sober life. … I know how difficult it is, and I'm really proud of his sobriety."

The couple – who announced their separation in January, then looked to be reconciling, only to announce their divorce in May – first met at a 1992 Hollywood Athletic Club bash. "We just started talking," Swank recalled for PEOPLE in 2003. She called it "love at first sight."

Said Lowe, "It was like the old cliché where you see somebody, lock eyes across the room, and time stands still. ... I said, 'I would love just to take you to lunch.' Then I worked my way up to dinner. We had lunch, we had dinner and then some."

It was a first marriage for both. They have no children.

"It takes two to make something work or not work. I'm a person with my own faults and troubles," Swank now says. "In the end, it just didn't work, but I would never look back on this relationship as failed. I look at it as 131/2 years of success."

Edited by Cutielb99

UsMagazine:

Posted Image

Hilary Swank, 31, cites hubby Chad Lowe’s substance abuse problem as one of the reasons the couple announced that they were divorcing last May.

“I knew something was happening but I didn’t know what,” Swank tells Vanity Fair in an interview excerpted by the New York Post. Lowe, who is now sober, battled addiction for years.

“When I found out, it was such a shock because I never thought he’d keep something from me. And yet, on another level, it was a confirmation of something I was feeling that was keeping us from being completely solid.”

Though the addiction was the beginning of the end for the couple, Swank knew it was important to stand by her man. “When I found out, I wanted to be there, I knew it was the most important time of his life. That’s when he needed me most.”

“He’s sober now. I don’t want to make it seem like that’s the sole reason; there were other factors. But that just kind of blew it open. It made me look at things a lot deeper. That’s when you realize it’s not going to work.”

Still, the actress, who does not disclose the nature of her husband’s addiction, gives Lowe credit for kicking his habit. “It’s an enormous obstacle to overcome, and he’s doing it. He’s living a sober life,” says Swank, who began dating Lowe in 1992 and married him in 1997. “I know how difficult it is, and I’m really proud of his sobriety.”

The two-time Oscar winner also dismissed rumors that the end of her marriage was brought on by Lowe’s jealousy over her career.

“Chad is very supportive of my career,” Swank says. “He is, I think, genuinely happy for my success. . . . I think that any frustration for him stemmed from the lack of opportunities in his own career.”

Swank, who will next be seen in The Black Dahlia with Scarlett Johansson and Josh Hartnett, is in the process of moving out of the couple’s 4,000-square-foot Greenwich Village brownstone in NYC.

“When I told you I’m the happiest I’ve ever been, it’s not because I’m getting a divorce,” she says. “It’s because I’m living in truth now. My happiness has stemmed from being brutally honest with myself, facing truth every single day, no matter how hard it is.”

Lowe, 38, and his managers could not be immediately reached for comment yesterday.

UsMagazine:

Posted Image

Hilary Swank, 31, cites hubby Chad Lowe’s substance abuse problem as one of the reasons the couple announced that they were divorcing last May.

“I knew something was happening but I didn’t know what,” Swank tells Vanity Fair in an interview excerpted by the New York Post. Lowe, who is now sober, battled addiction for years.

“When I found out, it was such a shock because I never thought he’d keep something from me. And yet, on another level, it was a confirmation of something I was feeling that was keeping us from being completely solid.”

Though the addiction was the beginning of the end for the couple, Swank knew it was important to stand by her man. “When I found out, I wanted to be there, I knew it was the most important time of his life. That’s when he needed me most.”

“He’s sober now. I don’t want to make it seem like that’s the sole reason; there were other factors. But that just kind of blew it open. It made me look at things a lot deeper. That’s when you realize it’s not going to work.”

Still, the actress, who does not disclose the nature of her husband’s addiction, gives Lowe credit for kicking his habit. “It’s an enormous obstacle to overcome, and he’s doing it. He’s living a sober life,” says Swank, who began dating Lowe in 1992 and married him in 1997. “I know how difficult it is, and I’m really proud of his sobriety.”

The two-time Oscar winner also dismissed rumors that the end of her marriage was brought on by Lowe’s jealousy over her career.

“Chad is very supportive of my career,” Swank says. “He is, I think, genuinely happy for my success. . . . I think that any frustration for him stemmed from the lack of opportunities in his own career.”

Swank, who will next be seen in The Black Dahlia with Scarlett Johansson and Josh Hartnett, is in the process of moving out of the couple’s 4,000-square-foot Greenwich Village brownstone in NYC.

“When I told you I’m the happiest I’ve ever been, it’s not because I’m getting a divorce,” she says. “It’s because I’m living in truth now. My happiness has stemmed from being brutally honest with myself, facing truth every single day, no matter how hard it is.”

Lowe, 38, and his managers could not be immediately reached for comment yesterday.

Did he approve her coming out with this info? ouch..not getting her purpose.

Nice cover,though

Anyone have any ideas about what this "substance" was? :huh: I've never heard any rumors of him having a drug problem, but I don't think she would have left him if it was something legal (although still damaging) like alcohol. I'm guessing heroin or the like. I'm glad to hear he's clean now, if it's true.

I agree that it's extremely uncool of her to tell this information - especially in a Vanity Fair interview! - unless he gave her explicit permission. And I can't imagine that he would have done that. I would think that this sort of thing should be exposed to the public in a sort of joint statement to the press or something, if at all.

Like I said on another board, Marriage is for better or worse and there are times when one partner has to pick up the pieces of the other when they need it the most. From the way this is written it seems she abandoned him because she didn't want to go through the bad with him.Of course my other theory is she wants to marry or at least date further up the hollywood food chain.

I agree with Soho. It was very uncool of her to share that information. :( I've never liked her either.

Right? I mean, especially because she says he is in recovery! It's not even like she is saying he is CURRENTLY abusing drugs. By her admission he's sober now, which is something that should probably be commended, especially when half of Hollywood is on cocaine, but obviously no one announces it to the press. I just cannot figure out any reason for her to make that information public, other than vindictiveness or to get a leg up on the divorce proceedings. It's a really personal, embarassing thing and it seems like if he was the one who wanted to go public with it she should have let HIM be the one to do the interview about it, and say it on his terms. Plus, now it is going to be much harder for him to get insured when he works on movies. I just think it was a really vindictive thing to do. I was shocked to see it as a banner headline on CNN, so I can only imagine how Chad Lowe must have felt.

I just cannot figure out any reason for her to make that information public, other than vindictiveness or to get a leg up on the divorce proceedings.

Wasn't there talk that if someone wanted the cover of Vanity Fair they had to spill the beans about something personal? I agree, it was tacky as h*ll for her to talk publicly about his personal business like that.

Edited by WiLdFiRe

You beat me to it Wildfire! I heard that as well. In fact, Teri Hatcher bumped someone off the cover because they refused to talk about something personal. It wasn't someone who had something scandalous going on either. It's almost like they want you to spill some deep, dark secret or make one up. Wish I could remember who it was....

Wow, all of you beat me to the punch.She's such a bitch for saying this. There's a reason that some things are kept personal, but she just doesn't understand that fine line. The whole "I'm from a trailer park and now I'm an Oscar winner, aww shucks" shit is getting old too. I hope she goes away, seriously. I never liked her at all, and now I know why.Sure, she was good in Boys Don't Cry but it's not cool to steal Annette Bening's Oscar twice. Bitch. Hate her.

Good for him for being sober and best wishes for many years of clean living. :) Bad to her for opening her smiley, beach splashing, magazine-cover-faced mouth on it. <_<But the burning issue is.... was Chad Lowe the answer to any past BIs??? :huh: