Sign in to follow this  
princess

Dolly Parton

Parton and Hayes Team Up for Tennessee Tourism Ads

imdb.com

Dolly Parton and Isaac Hayes will appear in a new series of commercials to boost tourism in their native Tennessee. Parton, who built the Dollywood theme park near her mountain hometown of Sevierville, invites tourists to make Tennessee their stage for family fun, thrills, relaxation, celebration, discovery and romance. She says in the ad, "Just remember Tennessee is great for more than music. The stage is set for you, honey, come play on it." Parton adds of her decision to back the campaign, "I'm doing this because I love Tennessee - I'm a Tennessee girl. I mean, there's nothing we can't do in Tennessee. The stage is set for everything." Singer-songwriter Hayes, a Memphis native, filmed the second ad on Monday at the Stax Museum Of American Soul Music.

"I'm not going to pull a Janet Jackson. I'd probably kill about four people in the front row."--Big, big talent Dolly Parton in the Star, throwing out the first breast joke of the season at her Dollywood theme park's 19th opening day. As shown in the mag, Dolly had the good sense to make the guys work topless. Even so, her bizare Cleopatra-meets-Pocahontas outfit had us singing, "Hell no, Dolly!" (EOnline.com)

Guest Jade

"I'm not going to pull a Janet Jackson. I'd probably kill about four people in the front row."

LMAO! :D

Guest ilovestewie
:D I have always loved Dolly Parton . All she has ever radiated to me is "fun". She certainly doesn't seem to take herself too seriously, does she? Wasn't she also credited with saying, "Honey, it talkes a lot of money to look this cheap?"I loved her in Steel Magnolia's too--Truvy the hairdresser...ha!

Dolly Parton will receive "The Living Legend" award Wednesday from the Library of Congress in Washington, D.C., a spokeswoman for the entertainer said.Parton, 58, will perform at the ceremony for a taped special that will air in May on the cable channel "Great American Country," publicist Kim Fowler said.Gov't Calls Dolly Parton 'Living Legend'

people.com UNDER WRAPSDolly Parton assures us that when she hosts the live CMT's Flame Worthy Awards (for country videos) on Wednesday night, there will not be any "wardrobe malfunctions." "I can't pull one of those Janet Jackson things or I'd wipe out the first three rows," she told us. "We can't turn these pups lose on anybody. I don't believe nobody wants to see them. They just want to imagine what they might be like. I always say, 'There are two things people want to know about me ? the left one and the right one.' I call them my weapons of mass distraction ? shock and awe." Well, all righty then.

Beastie Boys: Dolly was robbed at Oscars By Todd MartensAUSTIN, Texas (Billboard) - Mike D professed his love for the Prince film "Purple Rain," fellow Beastie Boy MCA talked about drinking with hip-hop impresario Russell Simmons and Ad Rock dished on his favorite books during the rap trio's spirited hour-long discussion with fans at the South by Southwest music festival in Austin, Texas.Little news came out of Wednesday's Q&A session, with fans asking the trio to talk about their early inspirations or discuss their views on rap combo Three 6 Mafia winning an Oscar for their "Hustle & Flow" tune."Nothing against them," Ad Rock said, "but we think Dolly Parton (nominated for a tune from "Transamerica") was robbed."The Beastie Boys were in Austin to promote their film, "Awesome: I F*ckin' Shot That!," which was assembled from footage shot by fans during a 2004 concert at New York's Madison Square Garden. For the sequel, Mike D joked, the act will let its fans keep the cameras for a week.Fans largely kept the questions light, and the Beastie Boys were more than happy to oblige. When one fan pressed MCA on his belief in Buddhism, the rapper opted not to reveal much to the crowd, which had earlier given the Beastie Boys a standing ovation. Yet the fan persisted, and asked if he was ashamed of the some of the lyrics in early Beastie Boys songs. "That stuff is a goof," MCA said. "I think most people know it's a goof."On the subject of politically charged material, one fan asked the Beastie Boys if there was an issue about which the group would like to educate listeners. "I don't know if we were ever out trying to educate people," Ad Rock said. "If we say something in a song, it's because we're thinking about it."Later on, Ad Rock recommended fans read "Fuzz One: A Bronx Childhood," an autobiography from graffiti artist Vincent Fedorchak. When the session turned toward the topic of Brooklyn, one fan asked if the trio was still in touch with the neighborhood, and if they believed they was still "keeping it real""They're not keeping it real in Brooklyn anymore," Ad Rock quipped. Added Mike D, "I know more about the playground than the underground right now."Reuters/Billboard

Dolly Parton Gives Jessica Simpson a Pass

People reports that Dolly Parton is just fine, darlin', with Jessica Simpson's audience-mystifying rendition of "9 to 5" which she blamed on several things - including Dolly's prescence, and her own dress.

Dolly Parton has no hard feelings toward Jessica Simpson, who flubbed the lines to the country singer's song "9 to 5" during the Kennedy Center Honors on Sunday.

"Jessica is so talented that I'm sure that someday they will be paying tribute to her and I would be honored to perform for her," Parton said in a statement to Inside Edition on Thursday. "But I'll probably be so nervous that I'll forget my wig!"

On Sunday, Simpson was paying tribute to Parton by singing her famous song before a packed audience, which included President Bush and the First Lady, when she botched the lines and then fled the stage in tears.

"Dolly you make me so nervous. I can't even sing the words right," Simpson said at the time.

Later, Simpson's rep, Cindi Berger, said the singer was "overcome with emotion" during her performance. "She wanted the song to be perfect and she was upset with herself when it wasn't," Berger told USA Today.

Simpson re-taped her rendition of "9 to 5" for the televised version of the Kennedy Center Honors.

Jessica has also blamed the dissolution of her marriage on her shoes, and the fact that her Dad has sexual thoughts about her on her handbag.

Dolly Parton rules, by the way.

I really love Dolly Parton. My favorite quote by her...someone called her a dumb blond. She said right back, I ain't blond and I ain't dumb.

It was sweet to defend Jessica. She's just a good person. Dolly should run for president. Borat would LOVE her.

Dolly is the absolute best! LOVE, LOVE, LOVE her!! I remember her saying that when she was filming Best Little Whorehouse in Texas she was so fat that when they told her to haul ass she had to make two trips, lol!

I really love Dolly Parton. My favorite quote by her...someone called her a dumb blond. She said right back, I ain't blond and I ain't dumb.

"I'm not offended by all the dumb blonde jokes because I know I'm not dumb... and I also know that I'm not blonde. "

She has a very self-deprecating sense of humor. And she's an AMAZING songwriter & singer.....I love her too! I also love that she gives books to kids! Her Imagination Library--if you sign up your kid when they were born, they got a book a month until the kids are 5. Our county library was part of it a couple years ago (high poverty rate in our county)

Dolly To Lead Macy's Thanksgiving Day Parade; Preps New Album

Country legend Dolly Parton is getting into the holiday spirit, joining the annual Macy’s Thanksgiving Day Parade on the lead float.

The big-haired blonde from Tennessee will perform her new single, “Better Get To Livin’” as the float coasts through the streets of New York City on Thanksgiving, November 22.

“I’ve always dreamed of doing the Macy’s parade,” an enthusiastic Ms. Parton said in a statement. “I guess, I don’t get to watch it this year though . . . I’ll have to tape it.

The parade will be broadcast on NBC from 9AM-12PM ET/PT on Thanksgiving Day.

A video for Dolly’s new single will also world premiere the same day on Country Music Television.

The kickoff will start a monumental campaign for the superstar, who just started a record label – Dolly Records. She will release her new album, “Backwoods Barbie,” her first mainstream country full-length in over 17 years on the imprint, February 5, 2008. Dolly will head out on a U.S. tour the same month.

Best Dolly quote ever: It takes a lot of time and money to look this cheap.

Edited by tyler

I mostly hate country western music, but I love me some Dolly Parton. We saw her at the Mid-State Fair a couple of times when I was little and she always put on a hell of a show. I would actually consider buying her new CD, just because I love that she's around and performing and as spunky as ever. I only wish she'd do a movie or two. Two of my favorite guilty pleasures star her: 9 to 5 and Straight Talk.

I love Dolly Parton too! (but then, I like country music--esp. the old stuff or the new "alt-country") The bluegrass stuff she does--amazing!

My favorite Dolly Parton quotation is about people thinking she's a dumb blond--I know I'm not dumb, and I also know I'm not blond ;)

I love Dolly Parton too! (but then, I like country music--esp. the old stuff or the new "alt-country") The bluegrass stuff she does--amazing!

My favorite Dolly Parton quotation is about people thinking she's a dumb blond--I know I'm not dumb, and I also know I'm not blond ;)

The Grass is Blue is amazing!

I also like this quote by her "If it's saggin, waggin or draggin. I have it nipped, tucked or sucked!"

Town book plan a Dolly good idea

Posted Image

A South Yorkshire town is gearing up for the arrival of country and western star Dolly Parton as the entertainer brings her literacy scheme to the UK.

Dolly Parton has seen thousands of free books distributed across America as part of her plan to boost the reading skills of pre-school children.

Now the star is set to launch her Imagination Library at the Magna Centre - a former steel works in Rotherham.

Dr Sonia Sharp, from the council's children's services, backed the scheme.

Rotherham is thought to be the first area in country to sign up for the Dolly Parton experiment to encourage young children to discover the joys of reading.

Every pre-school age child in Rotherham will be sent a free book every month.

'Little idea'

David Dotson, of the Dolly Parton Foundation, said: "Certainly there are differences in culture and history and traditions [between America and the UK], but I think there's also much more that's similar than is different.

"That's a love of children, the emphasis on education, the belief that what happens with reading and writing and science at an early age is really going to define a child's future.

"We just firmly believe that this one little idea will quickly become a UK idea."

Magna Centre

The country and western star will be at the Magna Centre

Dr Sharp said: "I think we have a history of low educational attainment and low engagement in learning across the age ranges so that families aren't reading as much.

"Therefore we're seeing lower levels of language, of vocabulary and reading experience in our younger children."

The leader of Rotherham Council, Roger Stone, added: "The aim is to use systems that they've got to integrate... so that they complement one another.

"One of the first things that David Dodson of the Imagination Library said they did not want to do was damage any other book schemes.

"Any book scheme that puts books into family homes in an attempt to get parents to read to the children as they go through life has got to be good.

"Reading with children cannot do anything but good. No matter what happens with the scheme, it's got to be a win-win situation."

From MSN, Cadillac of

Hello, Dolly!

One of country’s hugest stars, Dolly Parton is also music’s most significant female artist

By Kim Morgan Whitney Houston may have made the song even more famous, a humongous, record-breaking international hit, but no one, not even the talented Miss Houston, can sing “I Will Always Love You” like Dolly Parton can.

It’s not that Parton’s country soprano is technically the greatest voice in popular music, but there’s just something extra intimate and heartbreaking about her version that makes you feel the words so much more intensely. It’s not surprising, really, since the country music legend wrote the song herself (reportedly about her ex-singing partner and mentor, Porter Wagoner) and the sweet, stripped-down tune clearly means something very personal and private to her. But the song’s massive crossover success is interesting — that this wistful, pretty reflection has made her millions and millions of dollars over the years shows that Parton understands what constitutes a terrific hit song.

But that’s no surprise since Parton (aka “The Iron Butterfly”) knows what she’s doing in both music and business, which has contributed to her monumental success as a female recording artist. With 25 No. 1 singles, 41 Top 10 country albums, loads of awards and nominations, big-screen success as an actress and, yes, a theme park named for her (Dollywood), Parton is beyond mere celebrity — she’s a striking symbol of the American dream.

This slight, big-chested blond woman — born dirt poor in the Smokey Mountains of Tennessee, the fourth of 12 children — is one of our most prolific songwriters (I’ve read reports stating she’s written over 5,000 songs and released nearly 350) as well as one of the most significant recording artists — ever. But again, Parton’s glory always goes back to her subtly powerful storytelling voice and her beautiful, special songs, including “Jolene,” “The Bargain Store,” “Coat of Many Colors,” “Here You Come Again,” “9 to 5” and (obviously) many, many more, underscoring how little her creative output has to do with her curves, her big personality and her now campy appeal.

Parton is always quick to a quip regarding her glamorous appearance, most famously saying, “It takes a lot of money to look this cheap” — but there’s nothing cheap about the artist. Never mind all the money she’s made over the years, anyone filled with this much talent, smarts, heart and soul is an unforgettable class act.

KIM MORGAN is a film writer who runs the MSN Movies blog and has contributed to many outlets including LA Weekly, Reel.com, The DVD Journal, The Portland Mercury, Salon and The Huffington Post. She was a main film critic for the daily newspaper The Oregonian in Portland and served as DVD critic on TechTV's "The Screen Savers." She has also appeared as a guest film critic on AMC's "Movie Club," E! Television, Reelz, and most recently on “Ebert & Roeper.” You can read her writing at her blog "SunsetGun.com."

Send to Friend

DOLLY'S BEST PALS

NY POST

February 10, 2008 -- DOLLY Parton says her storied boobs, affectionately nicknamed "shock" and "awe," belong to all of mankind. "They do seem like public property in a way. They served me well - I don't know if I'm supporting them or they're supporting me," the country legend, 62, tells next month's Ladies' Home Journal. "I've always had nice ones but of course I've had 'em jacked up a bit. And they're part of the persona - it always takes a little pressure off me

Big Breasts Are Dangerous

Posted Image

Dolly Parton has postponed her U.S. tour, because those big ass titties have been giving her back problems. Dolly was set to start her tour on February 28th in Minneapolis, but the doctor ordered her to rest for at least 6 weeks. She's looking to reschedule her tour for April or May. She's still expected to go on with her European tour which starts in June.

Dolly released this statement:

"I know I have been breaking my neck and bending over backwards trying to get my new 'Backwoods Barbie' CD and world tour together, but I didn't mean to hurt myself doing it! But hey, you try wagging these puppies around a while and see if you don't have back problems. Seriously though, the doctors said I will be good as new in a few weeks, and I can't wait to get back out there."

Dolly needs to take those breasts down a few notches. It's time. You want to be laying on your back, because you're getting good loving and not because you're gigantic breasts are giving you back problems. What's the point of having giant ones if you can't show them off?

Don't listen to anything I just said Aretha Franklin. You must keep those giant chi-chis of yours. The world depends on it.

http://www.dlisted.com/

Dolly Declares New Tour Dates, By Golly!

PAGE SIX

Just a couple days after announcing that the strain her considerable bosom has put on her back over the years would force a two-month delay in her upcoming tour, Dolly Parton released an updated schedule revealing the first concert will be in Pittsburgh on April 22.

"Hey, thanks for being patient," the 62-year-old singer said in a statement. "I'm mending very nicely and will be fit as a fiddle soon. And I'll not only have the fiddle, but the rest of the band as well."

After playing 12 cities in 21 days (including Boston, New York and Chicago), the tour ends May 11 in Dallas. Dolly will then take a month off before beginning the European part of the tour in Sweden on June 13.

Dolly Parton Vows To Pile On The Pounds

Country superstar Dolly Parton is on a mission to pile on the pounds - because she's determined to prove she isn't suffering from any eating disorders.

The Nine To Five singer, famous for her surgically enhanced bust and small waist, insists she is perfectly healthy and blames her overly-concerned pals for sparking fears about her slender figure.

The 62-year-old says, "People are telling me I'm too skinny now, so I'm going to gain 10 or 12 pounds. They worry about me - but I'm healthy."

Dolly Parton: 'Miley Cyrus Is A Little Elvis'

Dolly Parton is tipping her teen superstar goddaughter Miley Cyrus to become the next Elvis Presley. Parton is amazed by what Cyrus has achieved at the age of 15 - and is convinced she will be a huge star for decades.

She tells AOL Music, "That little Miley Cyrus ... she's like a little Elvis! The kids love her because she's Hannah Montana, but what people don't realize about her is she is such a fantastic singer and songwriter. She writes songs like she's 40 years old! She's really deep."

"And I think that she's gonna have a big career after that show is off the air. I know I'm partial, because she's my goddaughter. But I'm amazed at the talent that child has and the effect she has on people. And a lot of that ain't just Disney, a lot of that is Miley."

WENN

Dolly Parton releases album on own label

Dolly Parton knows a good investment when she sees one, and these days she sees one in the mirror.

Parton, whose business portfolio includes a theme park and an entertainment production company, says she's spending a lot of her own money trying to get back on country radio with her new CD, "Backwoods Barbie."

"I'm looking at it like an investment," she told The Associated Press. "I thought, 'I've made enough money. I can afford to invest a little in myself.'"

She has self-released the disc on her own label, Dolly Records, and hired a seven-member promotions team.

"I purposely tailor-made this to try to get some hits," Parton explained.

The album reached No. 2 on Billboard in its second week, her best showing in 17 years.

The first single, "Better Get to Livin'," a country-pop song she describes as sonically similar to Keith Urban, sputtered at No. 48. But the second single, "Jesus & Gravity," is just now arriving at radio.

At age 62, Parton remains an icon and inspiration to younger singers.

"I don't think there's anything that woman can't do," said rising country star Kellie Pickler, who calls Parton her greatest influence. "She just walks into a room and lights it up. She's got that 'it' factor that money can't buy. She's the whole package."

Music Row began to lose interest in Parton in the '90s as a new crop of country stars emerged. Her last Top 5 hit, "Rockin' Years," was in 1991, and she hasn't had a major label record deal in 10 years.

"When it changed I was still as serious as ever and was thinking I'm still as good as ever, if I ever was any good," Parton said.

She has watched with interest as new technology has created opportunities without the big labels.

"Now the majors are what they used to think I was: history," she said.

"I thought this is a good time, but I need to make an all-out effort. ... Whatever it takes, you fight for it. You do what you have to do to feed your habit, and I'm a music addict."

Copyright © 2008 The Associated Press.